Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: I go to the movies for...
The actors 11 17.74%
The director 15 24.19%
The writer 6 9.68%
The story and subject matter 36 58.06%
The genre 16 25.81%
The special effects 12 19.35%
The studio releasing it 4 6.45%
The theater experience 31 50.00%
Fun! 31 50.00%
No reason in particular 7 11.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

[Movie] Why do you go to the movies?

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:14 PM #1 of 24
Why do you go to the movies?

This is a question I often ask people, if anything for my own learning, but also because I am genuinely interested in what drives people to go to the theater these days.

Me, despite being a film major, I don't go to the theater often because it's lousy and expensive. I only make exceptions for movies by good directors, writers, or cool-sounding stories.

What about you?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vivace119
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1279

Level 21.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:27 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 02:27 AM #2 of 24
I think the main reasons I like seeing the latest movie there are 1) The fantastic sound that you get - surrond sound and 2) The fact that it's on a massive screen.

I know that you can attempt to recreate some of this in your own home but I don't live at home so it isn't really possible. I haven't got the space or money to invest in a home cinema system at college.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:27 PM #3 of 24
I really don't have a specific reason that I go to the movies. Sometimes it's that I want to see a movie really bad (like 300,) or just because some of my friends are going and I have nothing better to do. I don't have a favorite actor or director, so there isn't much of a specific reason to go.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:35 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2007, 06:35 PM #4 of 24
Uh, couldn't there be an option for all the above? For me it's all those things combined that makes an enjoyable movies, though there are exceptions but those movies are rarely anything to write home about or just flat out suck.

I like going also to get out of the house, and the experience as well. Maybe when I get my own high end home theatre system I'll stop going as much, or maybe not. As long as there are movies out there that I want to see, I'll keep going.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:56 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2007, 08:56 PM #5 of 24
My dad and I represent that dying breed of people that (at least up until recently because of my school) saw a movie every other week, basically whether we saw something that looked good or not. We would just find something that looked okay for both of us.

We both love stories, and movies are an easy way for both of us to talk about the same story. It's good conversation stuff.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 09:05 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2007, 07:05 PM #6 of 24
I go to the movies because it is fun and I enjoy it much. Sure, the price may be expensive and you can download the whole thing from the 'net anyway, but I like paying for something I really want to see.

Just to show my appreciation. Sometimes it's a hit or miss; so far, lots of Hits and few misses, like Signs for example.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 09:09 PM #7 of 24
I wish I could go more often than I do; typically, I only find the time during the holidays. The experience, with the giant screen and darkness, is the most valuable thing. I highly value plot and story as well, but you can get that from a DVD. I'd also say "the score," which isn't one of the choices up there

How ya doing, buddy?
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:30 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 09:30 PM #8 of 24
I don't really have a particular reason for going to the cinema. I tend to go when there is a film that I really want to see or like the look of, but other than that there is no one reason that makes me want to go. It is fun, and I do enjoy the surround sound, but these things themselves are not reasons enough for to go to the cinema.

How ya doing, buddy?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 05:27 PM #9 of 24
Because you and Matt usually drag me there. =P

Actually, I have you to thank for bringing me to see The Departed. So I cant complain too much.

Other then that, I dont go to the movies that much at all, unless its the cheap $2 we pay to see movies at the Putnum theatre here on campus. Not a huge fan of movies these days, so I mostly just wait until someone else buys them. :-\

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 05:37 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 03:37 PM #10 of 24
I got to the movies to see the movie, DUH!

...Wait, you mean as opposed to just getting the DVD/Torrent? OH OK, THAT'S DIFFERENT

Well... I'd say, for certain movies, seeing it on a large screen is an experience in itself, and plus you have all of the fun social commentary and shared laughter with your friends. The sound is certainly more noticeable, as I've often gotten film scores after hearing it throughout the movie. Also its fun to just sit back and have a total immersion and escape from reality for an hour or two. You can't get that same level of escapism from just watching a DVD (Unless you got a giant 60inch TV and surround sound stereo, etc.,)

jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 06:10 PM #11 of 24
I go to be with my friends before, during, and after a movie. (We go for fun.) We usually watch the "looks pretty good" movies. For example, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with my friends to watch 300, transformers, pirates 3, spiderman 3, etc.

darkrose16
Carob Nut

Member 2924

Level 5.19

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 08:06 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 08:06 PM #12 of 24
I hate spending over seven bucks for a movie and then it turns out to be crap, and I'm especially upset when I go see something and it turns out to be shit. But mostly I go to the movies when a book that I like has made it to the big screen, or if I see a kick ass trailer that says "come watch me" like 300 is saying to me...I really want to see that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The world is full of dark and twisty people. I am one of them.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 08:09 PM #13 of 24
Okay, normally I rent videos instead. The only time I really go to the movies is for horror movie effects. No plot needed.

Most amazing jew boots
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:36 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 10:36 PM #14 of 24
I don't normally go to movies, but I only watch them for 1) hot guys, 2) seemingly interesting storyline, and 3) fun! The "theater experience" is nothing more than lousy smells, crappy old film technology that should be obsolete by now, and the annoying patron behind you who kicks your seat or talks during the movie. "Peter Parker, noooooo!" (I swear this happened to me). Movies are expensive, and thankfully my RA takes us out every once in a while and pays for us. =)

J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:53 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 08:53 PM #15 of 24
Definately for the theater experience. I'm nearly at level 11.

The theater experience, to me, is the whole package in which the plot of the film, the actors, the sound and the $7 popcorn all reside peacefully.

It's the whole deal, not just the movie.

Most amazing jew boots
Easy
Carob Nut

Member 7582

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:57 PM #16 of 24
Essentially for "fun," i.e., some friends want to do something on a boring weekend. You watch a lot of terrible shit this way because the pick is always some blockbuster release.

I like to watch the "good" stuff by myself, undisturbed, even if it means buying the DVD and watching it on a dinky TV/monitor.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:07 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 08:07 PM #17 of 24
I usually only go to the movies whenever my friends and I have nothing else to do or there happens to be an interesting movie. I like watching movies in real theaters since the experience is different from seeing anything from a home theater. I've also never gone to the movies alone.

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 01:25 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 01:25 AM #18 of 24
I don't go too often nowadays, mostly because there aren't too many movies that really interest me (last ones I saw was Ghostrider and now 300, but before these I think the last movie I saw in theaters was Superman Returns).

But when I do go, usually it's because of the story, the genre (sci-fi or fantasy usually), or the director (Spielberg's made some bad films, but he's also made a lot of good ones too. I think "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was way better than his "War of the Worlds").

But also, sometimes it's just more fun to watch a movie with many people, rather than by yourself, or only with a few others. Yeah, it can get annoying with kids who won't stop crying or yelling, or the idiots who yell out lines thinking they're clever (sometimes it IS funny, but usually they suck more, and ruin it for me). But other times, it's one of those things where you have to see it with an audience (I still regret not seeing Snakes on a Plane during the opening weekend. It's one of those movies you just HAVE to see with a lot of people, particularly people who are familiar with the actors in it, so it could almost be like Mystery Science 3000).

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:35 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 08:35 AM #19 of 24
I used to go a lot more often during school, because it was fun going with friends. So "FUN!" fo' sho'. But along with that, I'd have to say that I really only went if I thought the movie was epic enough and "deserved" to be watched in theaters. So with that, the theater experience is taken into account as well as some of the other items up there, but probably "story and subject matter" most importantly. But fun is number one!

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:50 AM #20 of 24
I used to go all the time when I was younger - when admission was, like, $6. Now, I'm lucky if I can get a ticket to a movie for under $10.

I don't go to the theatres much anymore mostly because of the expense, and frankly, havign to deal with other people who let their cells ring through the movie (EVEN ANSWER THEM), screaming children, annoying noises, so on, so forth.

When I do go to the theatre, its usually to appease someone or because I just CANT WAIT to see a particular movie. But more often than not, its the former.

$10+ is just too much to see a movie, even in a great facility. (Man, I get so mad when I find out I paid $10 for a ticket and theres NO STADIUM SEATING UGH UGH GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK)

Most amazing jew boots
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:57 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2007, 12:57 AM #21 of 24
The last time I went to the theater was last wednesday. I went there for glory, for honor.. FOR SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Before that, it was Batman Begins.

So I think I go to the movies when I just want to see the movie in a theater. Most of the time we just watch boot dvds.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:03 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 12:03 PM #22 of 24
Genre & Story. I'm a HUGE fan of spy oriented action movies. Although older James Bond movies were hit-or-miss at times, I'm referring to other films of that genre. The Bourne movies as well as the most recent James Bond flick are my kinds of movies =o Action-based, but it's intelligent as well.

Been thinking of seeing Breach. I've heard mixed things, and I'm not gonna go into it expecting a Bourne-level action flick (I made that mistake with The Departed, and it ruined the experience).

Maybe 300 is worth watching, but we'll have to see. Sin City, as much as everyone hypes it up, struck me as really odd. Not the cinematography techniques, but the stories and characters. The City of Hookers storyline was weird in itself because the main character struck me as a bad actor. And I typically don't care about such things >_>

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

GhaleonQ
Holy Paladin Fencer *snickers*

Member 20358

Level 16.99

Feb 2007

Old Mar 9, 2007, 03:00 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2007, 02:00 PM #23 of 24
For me, 3 things necessitate a theater visit:

1. An expansive movie that begs to be seen in an immersive environment (see: "The Bridge On The River Kwai," "The Searchers," "Citizen Kane").

2. A high-quality screenplay, for which I want to reward the screenwriter.

3. Just an outright fantastic movie, whether it has a wide or limited release.

If we still had the studio system, I'd weigh that into my decision, too.

FELIPE NO
Maestro
A#/Bb

Member 21139

Level 2.50

Mar 2007

Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:57 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 08:57 AM #24 of 24
Post The Theatre.

I enjoy the authenticity and environment of an actual movie theater (theater experience). I never go alone, so another reason would be to hang out with friends (fun). Now of course, the special effects and sound on the big screen is also a thrill.

You are asking us, why we go to the movie theater right? I don't understand why you would go to the movie theater for the top few reasons in the poll. I think those reasons would be for movies in general, but I'm getting too into it. Sorry

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
- The best site for VG/Anime music downloads (& more)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Why do you go to the movies?