Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Russia Conquers the North Pole!

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 3, 2007, 04:47 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2007, 04:47 AM #1 of 4
Russia Conquers the North Pole!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6927395.stm
Quote:
Russian explorers have planted their country's flag on the seabed 4,200m (14,000ft) below the North Pole to further Moscow's claims to the Arctic.

Canada, which also claims territory in the Arctic, has criticised the mission.

"This isn't the 15th Century," Canadian Foreign Minister Peter MacKay told the CTV channel.

"You can't go around the world and just plant flags and say 'We're claiming this territory'," he said.

Melting polar ice has led to competing claims over access to Arctic resources.

Russia's claim to a vast swathe of territory in the Arctic, thought to contain oil, gas and mineral reserves, has been challenged by several other powers, including the US.

Russian media reported last week that the ships were briefly tailed by foreign aircraft, but this claim was played down by the expedition leader.

"This may sound grandiloquent but for me this is like placing a flag on the moon, this is really a massive scientific achievement," Sergei Balyasnikov, a spokesman for Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Institute, told Reuters news agency.

President Vladimir Putin has already described the urgent need for Russia to secure its "strategic, economic, scientific and defence interests" in the Arctic.

Several countries with territories bordering the Arctic - including Russia, the US, Canada and Denmark - have launched competing claims to the region.

The competition has intensified as melting polar ice caps have opened up the possibility of new shipping routes in the region.
YouTube Video

I wonder how Russia intends to combat The Sub-Mariner?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2007, 05:03 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2007, 12:03 PM #2 of 4
This is gonna be the trouble about Hans Island (You know, the island Denmark and Canada 'fights' over) times 911. Perhaps.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:31 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2007, 03:31 PM #3 of 4
I claim the Gamingforce Interactive Forums! |>

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:25 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2007, 11:25 AM #4 of 4
Russia rocks now. Soon they'll be planting flags on poor countries because they know those countries can't do anything against Mother Russia.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Russia Conquers the North Pole!