Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Tablets and drawing programs.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:18 PM #1 of 12
Tablets and drawing programs.

I can't draw for shit. I've known this for years. What I do know is that with the proper program I could not have to worry about drawing and erasing and making a piece of paper look like shit by the time I'm done. The idea is I want to draw something for someone and I'm sure it's going to take a lot of correction to get it up to my hopes and expectations.

Anyone have any experience with tablets, and could anyone offer some suggestions?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 06:43 PM #2 of 12
People can't draw not because they don't have talent, but because they don't have the type of practice or trainings on artistic principle that others have taken years to master, everyone can learn how to draw.

Drawing on a tablet is very different from drawing on papers, although in some sense it is mostly the same. The problem is that it feels and handles very differently when you moves to tablet, so it'll takes sometimes to get use to. You could very well spend more time drawing the same thing on a tablet then you could on a paper. However, if you know to take advantage of the digital medium, like hot-keying Undo and other tools such as layering, its possible to use tablet very effectively.

I am not sure what type of advice you are looking for though, are you looking for advice on purchasing something along that line, or are you just looking for suggestion on how to start drawing with the tablet you have? Are you looking for a program to pair with your tablet?

I just recently went paperless when drawing comics, but I am still getting use to doing that, even after having use a tablet for 3 or 4 years, during most of this time, I often draw something and ink it in real life, and then scan it in for coloring on a tablet. However, once you find a consistent program to create line arts that would imitate real life inking, then it makes it easier on the process.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:02 PM #3 of 12
I don't have a tablet yet so I'm looking for suggestions there. Whatever suggestions for programs there may be would also be nice.

I suppose a good start would be trying some sketching on pencil-and-paper first then trying to move that over to the computer. Trouble is, I'm going to try drawing a person blowing out candles on a birthday cake...leaps and bounds from me being able to draw generic humans standing around.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 08:17 PM #4 of 12
do it on paper dopefish. you'll make just as many mistakes on the computer as you will on paper, if not more. why not just surrender to the idea that your first attempts aren't going to be that great, but just go through the process anyways. it's the only way to get better. there isn't a program, or a tablet that will make the learning process any easier. if anything, using a tablet and stuff will actually feel more awkward. i've been drawing for years, and i still have a hard time doing open canvas stuff with my tablet.

also, another thing to consider, unless you're really serious about it, a good graphics tablet will run you about 300 bucks. if you've got that kind of cash then why not just take the person out to an awesome dinner.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:46 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 07:46 PM #5 of 12
A tablet is certainly an investment. Depending on your budget, the price might be forbidden. Most would recommend stuff from Wacom, lower range from Graphire (about 200$) to higher end Intuos (as high as 2000$). Although I personally haven't use those, but I heard very good reviews from fellow graphic artist. Maybe you could look it up.

I have been using Aiptek Hyperpen, although its probably not something I could recommend, considering that specific parts broke easily when I got it (namely the stylist), and in which they sell replacement for.

As for the pose you are trying to draw, its not very complicated pose, you could easily jump on line and find a reference for it too. Lets start with a google search.

Base on the image that came up, one can deduct that this is the basic pose structure around this event: Start with pencil, sketch out basic frame work center around the main structure of this pose, her head, shoulder, arms and her spine curve are usually represented.

Laying out the basic structure of the pose, her back is arching over the cake, hands on the table,

With some reference, you can make out some basic expression, (although cartoonish ones) base on the reference you find on the net. With her mouth keep small with limited the airflow, but increase air pressure blouated her cheek.

Now the basic frame work of the image is complete, we can start constructing the character.
A. Neck muscular details that connect her head to the shoulder.
B. her chest, a approximation of the rib size going around.
C. Torso
D. A very approximation of the shoulder musculature (lightly) and arch arm with foreshortening.
E. a very simple hand place on the table.

and with this, we can start working on some characteristic details of this person that you are drawing. I am working in a drawing program, so I am switching pens and layers at this point. If you are in real life, use ink instead of pencil at this point.

And then clean up, if you want, add some color or shading.

How ya doing, buddy?
♪♡
Thanks Seris!

Last edited by Magi; Apr 3, 2006 at 09:49 PM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:15 PM #6 of 12
I was actually thinking of a profile, but you got the pose pretty much in the area I was thinking of. I'm sure I could ask you to draw it for me (then lie to her and say I did it), but that wouldn't be fair.

Yeah, tablets do seem to be cost-prohibitive. I suppose just trying to sketch out some ideas, then scanning in a rough draft might be a good idea.

Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
if you've got that kind of cash then why not just take the person out to an awesome dinner.
Well October's a long ways away (yeah I'm thinking about this six months in advance, so sue me) so who knows where, if anywhere, this person and I will be by then. Perhaps/hopefully further along than we are now?...anyway, the intent of the card is an ice-breaker. Done well enough, should achieve intended effect. (Though, a hand-drawn birthday card in itself is more telling a gesture than exactly how well it is done, but I'm looking for bonus points here. :love: :dopey_love

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 03:01 AM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 02:01 AM #7 of 12
so you're planning out a birthday card that you're planning on giving to a girl that you like in october?! i take it you like this girl just a little eh? smoke a joint and listen to some stan getz. it'll make you a smooth cat. save your money and buy something that you want for yourself. then draw her an amazing picture... somewhere in the last week of september, if she's important enough to remember by then.

FELIPE NO
ouch
The pencil killer

Member 879

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:50 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 10:50 AM #8 of 12
Reference is your friend.
Try pose yourself in front of the mirror and draw, it's a nice practice that way.
yes, a hard-drawn birthday card will be a nice idea, it makes it more special!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Need Manga Studio Tutorial? Click me!!
Visit my DeviantArt
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:18 PM #9 of 12
Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
so you're planning out a birthday card that you're planning on giving to a girl that you like in october?! i take it you like this girl just a little eh?
NO

But a little.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:04 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 10:04 PM #10 of 12
Dopefish, do you realize how Napoleon Dynamite your whole idea sounds? if you can't draw, then don't. think of something else cool that you can do for this girl's birthday. and if the card is an ice-breaker... c'mon dude. how bout, "hey, you're cute. come out to dinner with me."

How ya doing, buddy?
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:56 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 04:56 AM #11 of 12
Listen.

I'm not going to assume who you are. I'm not going to assume how old you are. I'm not going to assume what it is to you that you've got to draw her a birthday card or why it matters to you that you feel it's got to be drawn for her.

And I'm not going to give you suggestions on what else you should do or give you my two cents about my idea of a good birthday present (because quite frankly that kind of discussion belongs in community commons).

You're probably being vague for a reason, and I can understand that.

But I will tell you that for everything I know about art, If you don't know how to draw it to your satisfaction now, you won't be able to draw to your satisfaction in six months. You sound like a humble guy, and a humble artist is never satisfied with his work.

But for what it's worth, it's the intention that matters the most anyway.

If you want to charge ahead with this plan, I say, the best of luck to you. Just know the kind of work you're getting yourself into.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 03:50 AM #12 of 12
You should have it by October you say? Then you should start practicing now man! I agree that anyone can learn how to draw, the only thing that keeps everyone from being an artist is their passion for art and their willingness to learn and improve. You wont be able to draw her leonardo da vinci style by october (unless you're a fucking genius) but with correct, constant practice, you'd get satisfactory results by then! Oh and regardintg the tablet, I'd advice that you get one when you are sure you're interested in digital arts so you wont just have it lying around collecting dust. Just dont get tablets that require batteries! I've tried them and they suck, all(!?) pen tablets from Wacom are batteryless so go for that and you'd have less worries.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Tablets and drawing programs.