Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

iexplorer.exe ???

Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:31 AM 1 #1 of 28
Exclamation iexplorer.exe ???

Alright so for a long while i've had these 2 .exe objects in my Task Manager. 1 usually takes up a low ammount of usage, and the other usually takes up between 100k - 200k of memory usage. If i try to delete one, they become reactant and end up putting CPU usage to like 50% or so it says in the bar below. I took a screenshot. If anyone can tell me what this is or if it's harming my computer, a way to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Zigan; May 10, 2007 at 03:34 AM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:39 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 04:39 PM #2 of 28
In the absence of more information, I diagnose the programs to be Microsoft Internet Explorer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:19 AM #3 of 28
Well I've of course had IE before, it's usually on all Windows PC's. Question is, are these spyware, trojans? I have quite a few decent spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, but it's never detected anything from IE. This isn't really damaging my computer, least i hope it isn't. It's just i've never seen them there before previously and it taking that much memory usage. Seems my computer would run better if they weren't there, even if i do have 2 gigs of G.skill ram.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:27 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 05:27 PM #4 of 28
You have not really given sufficient information for me to give you a clear diagnosis. (And IE is on ALL windows PC unless you go to great lengths to remove it!)

If you really hate the 173k resource usage, then go ahead and run another browser like Firefox or Opera.

If you want to troubleshoot, provide a full screenshot of your task manager and a full view of your startup programs in msconfig. Blur out your name if you wish.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; May 10, 2007 at 04:31 AM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:30 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 07:30 AM #5 of 28
Nothing to worry about, if it is indeed iexplore.exe

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/iexplore/
Quote:
iexplore.exe is the main executable for Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Likely since you have internet explorer open for a long time it drains memory. I would
suggest getting a new web browser.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Dark Nation; May 10, 2007 at 09:32 AM.
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 11:18 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 05:18 PM #6 of 28

I'd suggest moving to Firefox if you are concerned about IE using all your resources. As you can see from the above image, Firefox uses a lot less resources than IE, well at least it does me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 01:50 PM #7 of 28
You have not really given sufficient information for me to give you a clear diagnosis. (And IE is on ALL windows PC unless you go to great lengths to remove it!)

If you really hate the 173k resource usage, then go ahead and run another browser like Firefox or Opera.

If you want to troubleshoot, provide a full screenshot of your task manager and a full view of your startup programs in msconfig. Blur out your name if you wish.
lol, that's another thing, I only use Firefox. I NEVER use IE. :P I think were missing something here. I tried to delete it once, but it really didn't seem to do the trick. Far as more information, ehhh... not sure what kind of information ya need, buddy. I mean it's 2 .exe in my task manager and I can't delete it even though I'm not even using the damn thing. That pretty much sums it all up. Usually when something doesn't delete after you you wanted it to in the task manager, it's not supposed to come back up and take up more cpu and memory usage unless it's one of the svchosts or EXPLORER.exe (not IE). I just think it shouldn't be there.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Zigan; May 10, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:26 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 08:26 PM #8 of 28
Hmmm, seems it could actually be spyware, goes by the name of Evivinc Virus

What directory is the file hiding in?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Domino; May 10, 2007 at 02:30 PM.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:12 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 01:12 PM #9 of 28
Zigan, there are products in Windows that use IE. Post your full task manager like Zerg said -- give us more info or we can't help you.

and Brandy does her best to understand
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:12 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 03:12 PM #10 of 28

I'd suggest moving to Firefox if you are concerned about IE using all your resources. As you can see from the above image, Firefox uses a lot less resources than IE, well at least it does me.
290k for me. Firefox uses significantly more for me, always has.

Most amazing jew boots
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:59 PM #11 of 28

My IE.exe is only using 32k :x

Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 06:18 PM #12 of 28
Hmmm, seems it could actually be spyware, goes by the name of Evivinc Virus

What directory is the file hiding in?
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

There's a file in their called iexplorer, and when i try to delete it, access denied.

I'd take a screenshot now but it's saying cant find data from clipboard. -.-

neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:38 PM #13 of 28
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

There's a file in their called iexplorer, and when i try to delete it, access denied.

I'd take a screenshot now but it's saying cant find data from clipboard. -.-

That's the directory of legit Internet Explorer...

Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 11:57 PM #14 of 28
That's the directory of legit Internet Explorer...
Well i know that, so what's going on? Like Domino said, i probably just need to remove it using the link she gave me, but it seems a bit troublesome. I just don't want to be slowing down because of this spyware, but if it's not causing alot of slowdown or harm, I may just leave it alone. Just none of my anti-spyware programs are picking it up is whats bothering me as well.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 12:33 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 10:33 PM #15 of 28
If the program is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, then it isn't that virus.

If it were that virus, you'd see it probably in C:\Windows\system32\iexplore.exe.

If you don't want it taken care of, whatever, but I don't get why you made this thread. It could be a symptom of something bad, but it could not be also. If you're not curious/don't care, then, whatever, I guess.

Most amazing jew boots
Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 02:04 PM #16 of 28
If the program is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, then it isn't that virus.

If it were that virus, you'd see it probably in C:\Windows\system32\iexplore.exe.

If you don't want it taken care of, whatever, but I don't get why you made this thread. It could be a symptom of something bad, but it could not be also. If you're not curious/don't care, then, whatever, I guess.
Nah that's ok, I appreciate the help i got from the others. Also, I made the thread because i wanted to know if it was harming my computer that badly, but i guess its not and no one really knows an easy way to get rid of it. And since it's not being detected by a decent anti-spyware program, must not be that bad. If you're eager to close the topic, go right ahead. :P

Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 02:10 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 08:10 PM #17 of 28
Well i know that, so what's going on? Like Domino said, i probably just need to remove it using the link she gave me, but it seems a bit troublesome.
She? Well, that's a first.

If it is in the Internet Explorer directory then it is probably legit. But by all means run the scan if it is bothering you that much.

Have you tried removing Internet Explorer from your system? Give that a go and fire up Firefox, see if it makes any difference.

EDIT:

Quote:
Description:
explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
I know I linked you to it being a virus yesterday, but just take a look at this. I reckon that it is probably this verison of the file seeing as how it lives in the IE folder.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Domino; May 11, 2007 at 02:23 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 03:46 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 01:46 PM #18 of 28
[16:41] Benjamin: It's extremely likely that active desktop content is enabled through something, even possibly a highjack.
[16:42] Benjamin: Which is easy as shit.
[16:42] Benjamin: My little brother made the mistake of activating that shit on my pc.
[16:42] Benjamin: :ie goes to 200mb of ram usage:
[16:43] Benjamin: :not even running:
[16:43] WorkinReaver: then why not say that in the thread
[16:43] Benjamin: Because I'm a prick.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:26 AM #19 of 28
She? Well, that's a first.

If it is in the Internet Explorer directory then it is probably legit. But by all means run the scan if it is bothering you that much.

Have you tried removing Internet Explorer from your system? Give that a go and fire up Firefox, see if it makes any difference.

EDIT:

I know I linked you to it being a virus yesterday, but just take a look at this. I reckon that it is probably this verison of the file seeing as how it lives in the IE folder.
Haha, sorry, I just said "she" cause of your avatar and sig, so i just said what came to mind.

Anyway, I have already tried deleting Internet Explorer from my PC, but it seemed kinda odd how it removed itself, like i was tearing off my computer's right leg off or something, so i just re-installed it. Actually i don't quite remember how i even un-installed it. It's not in Add or Remove Programs, and like i said before, i can't remove the folder because it says it's being used. I could go in safe mode and possibly remove it, but is it even safe or is IE even supposed to be deleted? If say the spyware is in the IE folder, i just want the spyware out.

And in the last quote above, i understand what it's saying, but isn't Internet Explorer and Explorer.exe totally 2 different kinds of files? I mean I dont get why i get some unstability when i try to delete iexplorer.exe how it's acting almost like explorer.exe. One of my friend's doesn't even have iexplorer.exe on his computer.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:57 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 11:57 PM #20 of 28
You tried to delete Internet Explorer?!?!

Holy fucking hell.

You realize that if you spent 5 seconds answering one of many questions that multiple people have asked you in this thread, you wouldn't be doing things like trying to delete Internet Explorer. Windows cannot run without it.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 03:17 AM Local time: May 12, 2007, 01:17 AM #21 of 28

Holy fucking hell.

You realize that if you spent 5 seconds answering one of many questions that multiple people have asked you in this thread, you wouldn't be doing things like trying to delete Internet Explorer. Windows cannot run without it.
Actually you can. It's Windows Explorer you can't get rid of. However, the only file in the Internet Explorer directory you're required to keep is MSCORIER.DLL (That's the core of both IE and WinExplorer. Many things in XP will fail to work or show up without that file)

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 10:45 AM Local time: May 12, 2007, 08:45 AM #22 of 28
Well, right. That's how DLLs work.

(Would you put it past him to have been deleting the IE directory? That's what I thought.)

Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 04:16 PM #23 of 28

Holy fucking hell.

...right

You're attitude isn't helping much Blue. I see you're a moderator, but you shouldn't be getting so unpatient over this. I couldn't post my task manager before due to something being wrong with the clipboard and I had to restart but have been busy. Also the only other post you did wasn't even a question, it was you telling me something about where the virus could be.

Anyway, were all learning something from this, are we not?

I decided to update IE just to see if maybe that have some software or protection against it since IE is just a piece of sh*t anyway. Don't ask me why how this could of helped, (it didn't) but i'm trying everything.

Another thing i tried was going into my Internet Explorer folder (again) and tried deleting the iexplore.exe. So what I did was renamed it, but made a new .exe named iexplore.exe again. It took a matter of seconds to do it. I decided to take those few seconds I had and delete the 2 IEXPLORE.EXE's in my task manager and it actually worked without any unstability, they just dissapeared. I waited about 5 minutes and they popped up again (kinda figured it would happen).

I'm also not sure if the iexplore.exe's have been making an internet explorer popup advertisement show everytime i join a server in Half Life 2 Garry's Mod. I dont ever usually get popups. It gets really annoying and I'm not sure why it's doing that (course probably spyware but), just i've never run into spyware this difficult.

Below is a screen of my task manager, hopefully we'll get some more information.

FELIPE NO
Attached Images
File Type: gif task_mng.gif (22.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Zigan; May 12, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 04:45 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 02:45 PM #24 of 28
You're attitude isn't helping much Blue. I see you're a moderator, but you shouldn't be getting so unpatient over this.
If you come in here and you ask for help and someone takes the time to reply, the least you can do is not act like you know what the fuck you're doing, because, if you did, you wouldn't have had to post the thread in the first place.

Anyway I'll leave it to the people more knowledgable than I about such things, but I don't see anything inherently bad in the task manager screenshot.

Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 05:55 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 11:55 PM #25 of 28
If you want to remove IE from your system, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and click on Add/Remove Windows Components to the side of all your installed programs, and then un-tick Internet Explorer. This will remove it from your system.

Run msconfig and go to the startup tab, if the iexplore.exe files are listed there, un-tick them and restart your system.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > iexplorer.exe ???