Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Where do you work? And what do you do?

Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:10 PM #1 of 76
Where do you work? And what do you do?

So, here I am, sitting at work, bored off my ass - and the idea came to me to make a post about what us GFFers do for money?

I'm employed at the Toronto-Buttonville Airport, by a company called Million Air. Most of the time, it's pretty slow here, because the weather hasn't been cooperating, and most of the buisness traffic has moved to the three other airports that are close by (mostly to pearson after the remodeling of the skyservice FBO there).

Anyways, the scope of my job is to go out and greet non-based planes when they land and taxi up to the terminal, and help the pilots and passengers with baggage, transportation (I'm also a hertz car rental representitive), and hotel bookings.

I've got a pretty sweet deal though, I only work on one day of the weekend, and for one weeknight. The weekend shift is from 0900-1700, while the weeknight shift is from 1600-2000.

What about the rest of GFF?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:12 PM #2 of 76
PHP Programmer. Working at the MATRIX Lab here at Michigan State. http://www.matrix.msu.edu

Although I guess my career is technically "Student" according to most classifications.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 03:13 PM #3 of 76
I work at my church. I run the audio mixing board, and I post-produce the sermons so that they're acceptable for purchase.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

xanth
Hampshire Hippie

Member 894

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:18 PM #4 of 76
I have two jobs at the moment.

The first is workstudy. I work in web development and help maintain and update the Hampshire College Website. Because I'm a student, I'm not allowed access to much besides the CMS and editting the content of the site. But what I do is somewhat enjoyable and my boss is awesome, so it's not too boring.

The second came out of an internship I had with WPBT, a PBS station in Miami this past January. Basically, I write out lesson plans for tapes of features that the Nightly Business Report sends out to schools. That's a little bit more difficult, because each lesson plan requires some heavy research for the background information but overall not an unbearable time commitment.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:28 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:28 PM #5 of 76
I work for the University of Manitoba Students' Association and I set up and take down speaker systems for concerts and other events.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:32 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 04:32 PM #6 of 76
I work for a bank in Alabama. We have 28 or so locations/branches/offices and around 300 employees. I am the primary PC tech, which entails buying, configuring, and deploying new computers, troubleshooting user level PC problems, and fixing hardware problems with laptops and PCs. I suppose I am also a backup network admin, as I have domain admin rights and frequently create new users and manage network file shares. I will soon be getting into the physical network and telephone system side of things as well, since our WAN/LAN/telephone administrator does not have a backup. This means that I will start dabbling in the Cisco world {which is a good way to make myself a lot of money}.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:36 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 12:36 AM #7 of 76
I work for a company that owns a manages Assisted living and Retirement homes. There are almost 300 employees here at corporate and almost 8000 corporate wide. My technical title is Staffing Verification Auditor but I do much more than that... I also am sitting here at work bored, wasting a little time right after my lunch.

In short, I am a glorified paper pusher.

How ya doing, buddy?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:36 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 10:36 PM #8 of 76
I work for a software house in the South of England. It has about 250 employees and I work as one of them as a programmer, or software developer, or software engineer, whatever you want to call it. I work on software testing tools and also perform training and consultancy, either in-house or on client site. It's pretty interesting stuff and the pay's ney bad either.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:51 PM #9 of 76
I have a total of four jobs:

I'm a graduate assistant at my university, teaching 1-2 writing courses per semester for about the amount of money a full professor would pay to get a cavity filled.

I also work part-time at the university library in the government documents section, handling documents SO BORING that they have to be quarantined to avoid civillian casualties.

In addition, I write a weekly opinion column for the school newspaper, which net about enough to buy a used CD per column. But seeing my name and picture in print is more important, ego-wise, anyway.

Finally, during breaks and vacations, I work in the stockroom of a college bookstore, occasionally going out to do things on the sales floor. This is brute force labor, but it also means a lot of free bookage when we throw things away.

I have the unusual distinction of still being employed in every job I've ever had, since the bookstore job began as my high school summer job, and my library job began as my at-school job. Between the four of them, I make just about enough money to squeak by.

alkaline
Run Home Slow

Member 1696

Level 8.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:01 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 03:01 PM #10 of 76
I work for gaming website, 1UP.Com, in Production, here in San Francisco. Essentially, I work on the back end side of things like the games database. I also have to police the community a bit (Augh), get our weekly newsletters together and other random projects.

I also find the time to do editorial work by means of Previews and reviews for the site. I also contribute to news every once in a while, but that's really just if it has something to do with Bemani (As I'm the expert on that) or Bungie (Because I'm a dirty fanboy). I've also been doing guest reviews for Electronic Gaming Monthly for the past few months, so it's been pretty awesome.

The only sucky part is that nowadays, it's hard to find time to actually play games :X My work blog is also here.

Most amazing jew boots

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:00 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 06:00 PM #11 of 76
Supervisor / Shipping Clerk for a catalog / store / company. I pretty much stand around all day and pack boxes of stuff, usually fragile items (Lamps, frames, trays, furniture, etc.) and later in the day, ship stuff via FedEx, and UPS.

Back in December we would be doing over 500 boxes a day, and over 1000 boxes a day on weekends. Now we're barely shipping about 100. I also had about 5 staff under me, plus had a bunch of temporary college girls that I had to watch over. Of course now that the season rush is over, all partimers and most seasonal jobs have been given the boot.

It's a seasonal job unfortunately, and I'm about to be let go. Though I had a good run, and tons of money.

Most amazing jew boots

S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:28 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 07:28 PM #12 of 76
I'm still in High School, so for now I have a part-time job at A&W. Usually I'm making burgers and fries, but there's a lot of stuff that we have to do that people don't think about having to do in a fastfood restaurant. We have lots of jobs to do, such as scrubbing shit out of the baseboards, weekly removing of everything from everywhere, cleaning, organizing, and replacing, LOTS of dishes (not customer dishes, those are done upfront, our dishes are condiment containers, meat trays, gravy pots, and the like). We also often have to clean the grease out of the canopies above the grill and fryers and empty the grease traps, which are disgusting. Another major part of working in a fastfood restaurant is daily injury. You NEVER get away without atleast one major cut or burn if you're working a shift, and sometimes injuries are worse than others, I've gotten grill cleaner in my eye(13.57 ph) and had to wash my eye out for a good hour before I could see, or even not scream from the pain again. We also have to deal with retarded customers, who return things or demand better food, the works...

So anyways, pretty much the extent of my job is to get walked all over by the publics insatiable appetite.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:56 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:56 PM #13 of 76
I am a groundskeeper for my university. My title is "Beds Crew Minion." I plant flowers, tear up flowers, spray flowers (I got my chemical certification last summer, mwa ha ha ha ha) and buy flowers. I also cut down trees and plant trees, do a bit of landscaping, and in the fall a Lot of shoveling bark chips. Sometimes we get a different sort of job like building a fountain or setting a brick sidewalk here or there, it's a lovely relaxing job with extremely flexible hours, pays 8.00 an hour (not terrible for an undergrad, though my bf makes 9.50) and excellent company. Besides that, I get to drive the Gators, which are way to much fun. I've done temporary jobs as a php programmer, but the hours weren't as flexible and I've usually got a class overload as an engineering student, so that was important to me.

iokcs
Deity Debunker

Member 2977

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:06 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:06 PM #14 of 76
Im a Full time Student @ City College... yea took me long enough to get here... lol lets see... i used to work at game crazy, but .... heheh...

Elcee
Self Imposed Bannishment

Member 1350

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:11 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:11 PM #15 of 76
I work in my home office. Company co-founder. I'm Graphic Designer and Webmaster. It's boring a lot of the time. I loathe forcing myself to log out of msn messenger when I need to get work done.

FELIPE NO
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:13 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 07:13 PM #16 of 76
Currently, I am working as a Deskside Support Tech for the City of Minneapolis. I mainly respond to service calls for hardware (laptop/desktop) break/fix, printer issues, and the occasional PDA problem. Its only a temporary position but it is proving to be an invaluable source of experience (and frustration.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM #17 of 76
I don't do anything. But it would be incorrect to say I don't have money. I just don't have as much money as I would like, I guess.

I hate working retail, and can't seem to even get called to an interview for a desk job, even though in some cases I'm overqualified. Although I'm not trying very hard to find a job. I'm actually waiting for next school semester so I can have something to do.

At the moment I could be considered a web designer, but since I'm not actually getting paid I don't consider it a real job.

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:27 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 07:27 PM #18 of 76
@ OmagnusPrime (and anyone else here that might know) What's the software engineers role? I'm going for that because I want to do design and planning for scientific apps ideally, starting out as a coder, but a lot of the CS majors on campus are telling me that engineering isn't the way to go for that.

Most amazing jew boots
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:36 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:36 AM #19 of 76
I'm not graduated yet. But I'm currently studying international relations, hoping I would someday become diplomat for my country. but too bad, in the country where I live on, chinese are rather discriminated, so it will be a bit surrealistic dream.

But friend of my mother offer to work in Prudential, perhaps I will apply for this instead.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:44 PM #20 of 76
I work at Safeway food and grocery as a courtesy clerk (aka bagger) which means the following:
--First and foremost I bag groceries and bring them to their car upon request
--Second I clean bathrooms, which means I stock toilet paper, soap and paper towels. That also means I must clean up any shit that anyone decides to leave in or out of the toilet
--I manage the bottle recycling room, I have to empty the machines, service them and make sure everyone gets their money
Also I empty the trash and clean up messes, but that was a given, wasn't it?

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 11:48 PM #21 of 76
When I am not at school, I have an engineering internship program going with a small manufacturing company.
For the most part I spend my hours on Mechanical Desktop, copying other company's products whose patents have expired.
When I am not doing that, I might be doing product testing, or perhaps developing some small manufacturing environment improvement.
Nothing at all exciting.
However, there is the possibility for me to work for this company that makes various prosthetic parts and biomedical equipment. That would totally rock if I got that job.

kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:23 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 11:23 PM #22 of 76
I'm a college student but work at Gap part time. I fold clothes, ring people up, direct people to dressing rooms, ask people if they want to open Gap cards (they usually don't) and other misc crap you would find to do at a mall store.

Job sucks but I get 50% employee discounts and it's not exactly rocket science, so I live.

Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:07 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 08:07 PM #23 of 76
I work stagecrew at Oakton Community College because the hours are very flexible, and I love the actors and coworkers (PM me for free comps!). Outside of that, I run a small business that takes contracts for information system analysis/design and information technology. This essentially means if you want an office set up, I'll make it happen. I hunt down specific people who are good in the field needed to be serviced, and take a 10% agent fee. My employees like me cause I pay them $120 - $200 an hour, and I like it because 10% of $120 - $200 an hour adds up pretty fast.

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:21 PM #24 of 76
I'm currently a substitute piano teacher due to school, which consists of teaching piano to the young'uns.
Also, I try to participate in Psych experiments for money
I'm looking into a career change into the lines of call centre jobs (not telemarketing though)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:35 PM #25 of 76
I work part-time for a chain of Tops supermarkets as an in-house signpainter and graphic artist. My main responsibilities are the production and maintenance of the large signs used throughout the store. When promotions and events occur, I am often charged with creating an interesting eyepiece to attract further attention.

I'm also in charge of the seasonal decorations. This means ordering and putting up colored banners, flags, floral displays, oversized cutouts and various novelties. Christmas and Easter are pretty strenuous when it comes to this aspect of the job. But it's excellent portfolio work and great job experience for resumes, so I can overlook the emasculating side of it.

I do this not only for my home store, but also as an assist to two other franchise stores in the bi-county area. Between me and the other signmaker at another store, we handle 3 large supermarkets and a smaller Kwik-E-Stop styled store. It's a handful but the creative outlet is great.

I only work part-time since I've recently gone back to school and would be overwhelmed by a full-time job plus homework responsibilities.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Where do you work? And what do you do?