Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Help] Dreamcast Emulation?

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:40 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2007, 10:40 PM #26 of 31
If anybody is interested here's a project worth mentioning > MAKARON <, however before it will be officially released we will be 75 or so thus hold your horses. Even though it seems interesting, it is really better to get real DC as sugested, I got second handed one for about 20-25£ (I think) so it's not a big deal after all. If you really want to emulate you will to wait some time (considering there isn't good* Saturn emulator it will take forever though!)

*when compared to psx level of emulation
In all honesty, I think SSF (only working Saturn emulator) blows PSX emus out of the water in everything but maybe speed. No plugin hell, quite good compatibility, 1:1 graphics. No psx emu has all of these put together.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 03:11 PM #27 of 31
I managed to emulate Saturn games perfectly now with SSF. Turns out I had to change the region settings depending on the type of game I'm playing (USA, JP, Euro). The games run smoothly. Guardian Heroes is a real blast. Nights hasn't aged well, though.

Only question I have left is whether I can customize the resolutions on SSF. I use 1808x1012 on my TV.

I still haven't been able to get Dreamcast emulation working though. I'll give you the step-by-step.

First I "acquire" the game, in this case Project Justice. The RAR file contained the following inside.
From here, I tried extracting .001, then save it to my Dreamcast folder, seen here along with another game (Berserk).

So the games are saved as Discjuggler images. I tried to use Daemon tools to mount the image.

But this is where things get complicated. After mounting the file, the image is read as a Music CD. I open the file, and the contents seem to check out , but the Emulator (Chankast) doesn't read the game. It just displays the Dreamcast menu and that's that.

I think the source of the problem is figuring out exactly what format the emulator requires for the games, so I'd have to change it to that format, then mount it. Help me out please.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 03:29 PM Local time: May 18, 2007, 03:29 PM 1 #28 of 31
Regarding DC emulation... :3

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 09:49 PM Local time: May 18, 2007, 09:49 PM #29 of 31
Sweet ass. I posted a request not too long ago on BIOS files and such. <3

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 11:53 PM #30 of 31
Couple of things with nullDC.

1. How can I configure my PS2 controller? The readme says to use Joy2Key. Is that the only option, or is there a plugin that will accept joysticks?

2. On Berserk, the intro freezes after about 30 seconds. Switching between the two video plugins doesn't fix it.

3. Is there a way to set it to fullscreen (without any bars)?

4. Sound is pretty choppy and scratchy. What are some settings I should check/uncheck? Are there better sound plugins out there?

Otherwise, thanks a ton. I've finally got some games working.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Soldier; May 19, 2007 at 12:38 AM.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2007, 05:03 PM Local time: May 19, 2007, 11:03 PM #31 of 31
nulldc doesnt read gamepads at all, so no dice. Only way to do fullscreen is to have the option enabled, and it'll start in fullscreen mode... you cant switch back and forth yet. For sound, options -> aica -> Config, menu will explain everything.

for SSF, no resolutions can be set, it uses whatever is the closest match per the horizontal resolution (meaning 640x480 or 720x480 normally). Which sucks because PAL games will try to run in those resolutions too, despite that they use 512 lines instead of 480, and will either crash the emu once you switch to fullscreen (in ddraw), or wont display anything (in d3d mode).

However, I've connected SSF to my tv using svideo -> rca out, and it looks perfectly like my old Saturn did, even filters out the mesh polygons to true transparency. This is a 1989 Sanyo tv though, with HDTVs you are kinda out of luck.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Help] Dreamcast Emulation?