Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Spice and Wolf (Capitalist anime at its best)

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:27 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 02:27 AM 2 #1 of 26
Spice and Wolf (Capitalist anime at its best)

Synopsis: As autumn rolls around in this medieval-ish setting, many areas are getting ready for the harvest and Lawrence Craft, a traveling merchant begins making his rounds buying, selling, and bartering as he goes. Upon reaching the village of Pasroe, he finds them getting ready to celebrate the wheat harvest and after meeting up with an old apprentice of his named Chloe, he goes back to the wagon only to find a woman with the ears and tails of a wolf sleeping tucked under a pile of marten furs. When Lawrence woke her up, the wolf-woman introduced herself to him as Horo, the wolf-goddess of the harvest. She explains to him that her time is about long past as people turn to Christianity and forsake the pagan ways. Although she has served the people of Pasroe for a long time, she now yearns to return home to the cold lands of the north. With that, she strikes a deal with a reluctant Lawrence so that she may accompany him on his travels.

Thoughts: For people who like quick thrills and immediate gratification, prepare to be disappointed by Spice and Wolf's pacing as it's anything but exciting. For the rest of us, get ready to immerse yourself into a show that starts off really well in the way they handle the two principal characters as well as the setting which seems to be a mix of medieval society with a few possible anachronisms and economic concepts thrown in.

The strongest point about this series so far is how the characters are treated. Once Horo's character has been introduced, it's almost seamless how well she interacts with Lawrence. Their dialog in the first two episodes were pretty natural and they both exhibit a rather good on-screen chemistry. I suppose I should thank the voice actors for doing a great job, with special props for Horo's voice actress. If a wolf-goddess with a somewhat clever disposition were to talk, I'd have to say that Ami Koshimizu's performance is as close as it could come.

Of course, that's not to say all of the characters are presented well. There is an issue with Chloe in that it's hard to figure out what her role is going to be. Regardless, it's certainly odd that she's apprenticed to Lawrence as it does raise the question as to whether medieval Europe far more progressive than we had originally thought. Regardless, it's a detail I'm not going to worry about too much.

Either way, the main element that makes this show so fun to watch is the economics. Despite the fact that economics can get pretty boring (as a former dismal scientist aka me can attest to), the manner in which they present it is most excellent. And really...

Spoiler:
more anime series need to incorporate currency devaluation as a main plot point!

An excellent series that's held my attention so far. Looking forwards to see what other crazy schemes they manage to come up with next as well as watching Horo and Lawrence's relationship grow.

Links Courtesy of BSS (MKV listing only):
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Jam it back in, in the dark.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:58 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 02:58 AM #2 of 26
A brilliant show so far. Yes, it's a bit slow, but the pace is steady and doesn't rush or make things sloppy. The relationship between Lawrence and Horo is quite interesting and I can't wait to see just how it developes, despite the rude interruption in episode 4. So far it doesn't disappoint.

The scenes in episode 2 where he has to introduce her as his wife struck me as awfully funny for some insane reason....she's supposed to look no more than 15 so I wonder if girls normally marry very young in medieval europe, if the setting is Europe at all. The scene where she comments on Lawrence's "whiskers" was funny as well.

Episode 4 showed a different side to Horo though.....
Spoiler:
.....how she fears being left all alone. When Lawrence mentions settling down to open his shop and stop travelling, Horo is immediately worried that she'll be abandoned, despite Lawrence's reassurances that he will finish his journey to the North with her first.

Definitely a must-see show.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:47 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 11:47 PM #3 of 26
<3 Spicy Wolf <3

Admittedly, I've only read the manga (cheers, Taco), but if the anime is just as good, it should be a fine show.
I'm still a little uneased about the era and setting, though. The whole thing is so calm and friendly, I'm paranoidly expecting some poor peasant to get trampled or raped & pillaged by soldiers or something

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:39 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 01:39 AM #4 of 26
Along with True Tears it's one of the best shows that 2008 yet has had to offer. I can't say I understand all of the economics mumbo jumbo as I'm Swedish (I'm not familiar with all the terms used), but nevertheless it's still very interesting, Horo is a very interesting character that you just don't know what she's going to do and that's what I love about her. I love that even though she's supposed to be very wise and so that there are still things she wonders about, and that Lawrence complements her, and vice versa. Always waiting for a new episode on this series. Oh, and the OP is GREAT. Especially the full version of it, which I've listened to it so many times.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:28 PM #5 of 26

Good to see a Spicy Wolf thread up here. It's nothing short of a must-see at this point.

Oh, and agreeing with nanaman on the OP. That shit is AMAZING. Someone called it hauntingly beautiful, and I have to agree.

I was speaking idiomatically.

#654: Braixen
Crowdmaker
I should be working

Member 950

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:43 AM #6 of 26
she's supposed to look no more than 15 so I wonder if girls normally marry very young in medieval europe.
Well, the average life span was way lower then than now, so even just guessing, 15 isn't really 'very young' for them, and I'd imagine they'd want to get started on marriage pretty early since life is short.

But then, I think I'm pretty certain they did. I mean after all, not so long ago Marie Antoinette was married off at 16...

Oh, and Spice and Wolf is very cool. I love how they turned commerce into something mysterious and intricate. Being a bit of an econ nerd, I'm following the series with rapt attention.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:29 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 01:29 AM #7 of 26
Episode 6:

Spoiler:
Aside from that 3-shot sequence where she transforms into giant wolf form (I thought it was really cheesy), this episode was a pretty good continuation of the story. I think we can safely say that the whole affair regarding the devalued currency is over with, which makes me look forwards to what economics concept will come up next.

But yeah, I've been agreeing with all the comments so far. The atmosphere has been fantastic and it offers a lot of guild rivalries as well as great character development moments to balance things out. I also heartily agree with the comments regarding the OP, though the ED leaves me wanting. It's amusing the first few times I've heard it, but now, it's just where bad Engrish goes to die.

FELIPE NO
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:27 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 06:27 PM #8 of 26
Yeah I agree with the ED not being so good.

SEBEN APPEL ON THE UITCHES TREE-EE

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:22 PM #9 of 26
Gotta love that gratuitous English in that shit. It's funny the first time you hear it, but after that it becomes pretty unwanted.

Also Episode 7 is DVD only what. If it doesn't have anything to do with the plot like I've been told then what is it? My money is on hot steamy Horo sex.

Most amazing jew boots

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2008, 02:20 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2008, 03:20 PM #10 of 26
Exclamation

Yeah, episode 8 follows right after 6 so I guess the DVD only episode 7 is something else entirely....

Which fansub group is everyone else watching for this series? I'm following Ayako and have come to greatly appreciate the little tidbits that come at the end of each episode of their releases.

an example:

This really helps out when trying to understand the background of the story or even some the terms used or related to the merchant profession.

Anyway, excellent story so far, things really don't look good for Lawrence now....after episode 10, I'm feeling a little anxious to see what comes next. I never knew real-world politics and economics could be used so effectively and interestingly in an anime series.

As for Lawrence's fate as described in Spice & Wolf for Dummies......
Spoiler:
......the second paragraph.....

Now that's fucking harsh!!!

Can't wait for the next episode......

Last edited by hikarub; Mar 7, 2008 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typos
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:41 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 01:41 AM #11 of 26
:slowpoke:

Finally got around to watching the last episode and that was an end if nothing else, but certainly not the end given the episode constraints. The last episode moved a bit too quickly and there were times I'd have to pause and rewatch certain scenes to get the gist of what happened.

As of now, I've not heard of any new news regarding a second season, but I do hope to see how far they can take the concept and the amazing character interactions. The VAs are just too good and their on-screen chemistry is a large part of what made this series so enjoyable. I suppose the only way I'll get my dose of Horo is through the manga since people here seem to find the read enjoyable.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:40 AM #12 of 26
Second season will be Lawrence ditching Horo in favor of Nora. The jealousy Horo was emitting at the end of the episode when she showed up was way too funny.

Spice and TRUE MOE. They will call it. Nora is <333.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:07 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 03:07 PM #13 of 26
<3 I'D TOTALLY WATCH IT

Well, if we're lucky we might get a second season. Since from what I know the show is kinda popular in Japan so that means that we'll probably get another season.

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:26 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 10:26 AM #14 of 26
Second season will be Lawrence ditching Horo in favor of Nora. The jealousy Horo was emitting at the end of the episode when she showed up was way too funny.

I like how you say that when her VA plays Nagisa in Clannad

No, seriously though, when I heard Nora speak, she could have said "Okazaki-san" and I definitely would not have batted an eye in the least, mostly because when she did speak, my mind kept superimposing Nagisa's face over Nora's.

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:33 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 11:33 PM #15 of 26
So THAT'S where I recognized her voice from. It was not too obvious, but I did think I'd heard her voice somewhere, and quite recently too

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:15 PM #16 of 26

No, seriously though, when I heard Nora speak, she could have said "Okazaki-san" and I definitely would not have batted an eye in the least, mostly because when she did speak, my mind kept superimposing Nagisa's face over Nora's.
Yeah, but Nora is several different kinds of awesome, while Nagisa is not. After all, she actually wasn't afraid of Horo during the last episode, and that takes a hell of a lot of courage right there. Plus she has Enik. <333

I honestly never made the connection though, since I stopped watching Clannad weeks ago.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:34 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 08:34 AM #17 of 26
You finished Clannad weeks ago.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:49 PM #18 of 26
You finished Clannad weeks ago.
I informed you that Clannad is finished, yes, but I never said anything about finishing it myself. I stopped several episodes short, thus my post. Don't fucking tell me what I've watched. >=(

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:59 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 08:59 AM #19 of 26
That's still mighty impressive, I was expecting you to drop it right in the middle of the Fuko arc screaming fuuuuuuuu Blah you totally pranked me

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:29 AM #20 of 26
You totally did, it just took me a little longer to get to the part I hate. Fucking Nagisa. On topic though, Horo's jealousy is seriously the best thing ever. It provided Lawrence the perfect opportunity to get back at her for all the times she's fucked with him over the series.

Horo: "SAY MY NAME"
Lawrence: ::fakes like he's saying Nora::
Horo: "OMG WTF"
Lawrence: "o wat can't hear you over the bells"

Lawrence is the Man of Steel.

Every time I watch that part, I laugh forever.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:50 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 09:50 PM #21 of 26
You just want Rie Kugimiya to voice Horo, admit it.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:54 AM #22 of 26
Incorrect. I actually want Rie Kugimiya to voice everything. She'll get her own anime where she voices all the characters. Tsundere: The Animation.

Then she'll leave forever.

Last edited by Tails; Mar 31, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:38 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2008, 10:38 PM #23 of 26
Godamnnit! I still haven't finished this. Waiting for Ayako who were doing such a great job but suddenly disappeared for like forever. They only just released episode 11 yesterday....

Crappy, crappy, crappy!!

FELIPE NO
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:30 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2009, 07:30 PM #24 of 26
Hey, hey. Just wondering, what is this OVA for Spice & Wolf I keep seeing everywhere? I guess there'll be a second season for the series so what exactly is this OVA? Does it continue the plot or is it just a re-hash of the first season?

slayer25k
MIMIMIN!MIMIMIN!USAMIN!!

Member 9135

Level 22.15

Jun 2006

Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:45 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2009, 12:45 PM #25 of 26
The OVA (also called Spice and Wolf II - Episode 0) is "the beginning" of the new season which starts in July.

A foretaste and with a bit of re-introduction

And to every Nana its prey...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Spice and Wolf (Capitalist anime at its best)