Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"No, I need directions for this."

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 03:46 PM #1 of 12
"No, I need directions for this."

Have you ever tried cooking something without having written directions for it? If so, how did it turn out?

I've cooked several dishes by just remembering what ingredients I saw or tasted during the meal. I'm usually able to copy Asian food well, but I always need a recipe when making desserts and the like.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:50 PM #2 of 12
I've cooked enough to know what works and what doesn't. But I remember trying to make some odd dish consisting of left-overs that my dog wouldn't even eat. I'm not too good at baking without instructions. SO when it comes to that, I need a guideline. Otherwise, I can usually wing it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:34 PM #3 of 12
Hmm, I tend to cook without recipes, and even if i do have them, I just use them as ideas then put my own thoughts into the cooking. Honestly, some have turned out nicely, some not as planned. I made stuffed chicken breast, which was delicious, but I tried to make a croquette (with minimal oil and with shredded potatoes as batter) like I saw on Iron Chef, but they didn't turn out like a croquette...didn't taste that bad though...heh.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 07:03 PM #4 of 12
I'm kind of a measurement nut when it comes to cooking so if I don't have directions to cook something that I haven't done before, I'm almost guaranteed to fuck it up tenfold.

The only thing I know that I can't fuck up when preparing is tri-tip on a grill and that's only because you can season the slab to death and provided it's cooked at just the right flame and long enough it'll come out just fine.

How ya doing, buddy?
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:06 PM #5 of 12
If I don't have directions, I am bound to mess up whatever I am making, unless it is a sandwich. With directions, I can at least note that I want it warmer, or thicker, and I can make an adjustment accordingly. Without them, I'll forget something, or mix up some numbers, and ruin my food. I don't have a good sense for how much of each ingredient to put in.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, is really good at that. She just starts making food with stuff she has. Then she asks me to help her, and I turn out to be pretty useless.

Most amazing jew boots
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:38 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 08:38 PM #6 of 12
I only use directions if I have to use a device like an oven, otherwise I simply rely on estimates and adjust accordingly. Of course, I only make large portions which means the margin of error is very accomodating.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 11:46 PM #7 of 12
I remember once I tried to make this Cantonese dish that consisted of runny egg with green onions, beef over rice. I didn't think it'd be that hard. Sort of like a stir-fried egg drop soup so I decided to wing it. It went so horribly wrong and turned out disgusting, even more so because I decided that the only way to solve the problem was to dump a gallon of soy sauce on top. But, it only made it worse and entirely inedible.

I ended up feeding it to some guy down the hall who was stoned within an inch of his life. He would've eaten dog shit if I gave it to him, and he seemed to enjoy my dish far more.

FELIPE NO
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:29 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 09:29 AM #8 of 12
I can make accurate measurement guesstimations if I know what the outcome is supposed to be. If I have never prepared the dish before, I try to follow the directions to the teeth. It may be overkill, but once I've seen the process of a specific dish, it becomes part of my culinary skills. Of course, my knowledge of dishes fade if I don't prepare them often enough. When I was about 14, I could make designer cookies like a big checkerboard cookie with little checker cookies on top. Today, I don't think I could come up with cookie dough without a recipe.

Most amazing jew boots
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:16 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 12:16 PM #9 of 12
If I'm baking, I definitely need directions. In fact, I'm obsessive about getting measurements exact when making things for the first time.

I tried making sweet bread without directions, and it was deadly. Sure, I based it off a banana bread recipe, but it turned out pretty nasty, as it was too eggy and sweet.

With things on the stove, such as stir-fry dishes, I don't really use recipies. However, the next time I use celery, I'm definitely looking something up. The last celery dish I made was horrible. I threw some beef, celery, cornstarch, and soy sauce in a wok, and I created a monster.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mithos
Angel of Cruxis

Member 3307

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:03 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 07:03 PM #10 of 12
I absolutely need directions. I simply don't trust myself with food if I don't know exactly what I'm meant to do.

I don't trust my own judgement. I also hate agreed-upon measurements, like "a dash of" or whatever. I don't have a measuring cup with "a dash of" written on it ._.

In general, I don't trust my intuition in anything. Directions (in the usual sense of the word), cooking, logic, arts and crafts...
I guess it's because I never get anything right when I do it myself. I suppose it's only logical that I want a map if I get lost every time I'm left to my own devices.
It's just that things like (a+b)² = not a²+b², but a²+2ab+b² crop up all the time, and it's best not to go with the intuitive result.

It's also sort of something to fall back on - when someone goes "Oh my g-, what the hell is that?", you can just claim to have followed a recipe or the instructions on the back of the box ><;

Most amazing jew boots
By any other name, would smell as sweet.
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:51 PM #11 of 12
I cant get anything complex right, even with directions. (at least when it comes to food.) some things though, like ramen and mac and cheese (that i more or less live on) ive done so many times i can make it perfect. Also, ive been told i make awesome spaghetti.

and my girlfriend pwns at makeing anything. period.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 02:09 AM #12 of 12
I don't necessarily need written directions, but it helps if I have at least some idea of what I'm doing. ._.

Case in point, I made dinner tonight and my dad suggested we have some cold noodles (it's freakin' hot now). So I was like "okay" and I asked him what he usually puts in it and he told me. I dug the stuff up and just played by ear and it turned out mostly pretty good.

I don't think I'd try cooking without a recipe for anything more complicated, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > "No, I need directions for this."