Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Bubble Tea

Azi
Chocobo

Member 341

Level 14.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:51 PM #1 of 17
Bubble Tea

B u b b l e T e a

Quote:
Bubble Tea originated in Taiwan in the early 1980's at a small tea stand.

Elementary school children would look forward to buying a cup of refreshing tea after a long, hard day of work and play. Tea stands were set up in front of the schools and would compete for business with the best selling tea. One concession owner became popular with her tea when she started adding different fruit flavoring to her tea. Because of the sweet and cool taste, children loved the taste. Soon, other concessions heard about the "unique" and popular tea, so they started to add flavoring to their teas. When adding flavor, the tea and flavoring needed to be shaken well for a good all around taste. This formed bubbles in the drink, which came to be known as "Bubble Tea."

In 1983 Liu Han-Chieh introduced Taiwan to tapioca pearls. The new fad was to add tapioca pearls into a favorite drink. Most of the time tapioca pearls were served in cold infused tea. After the tea and flavor were shaken well, it topped tapioca pearls that were sitting on the bottom of a clear cup. The tapioca pearls also looked like bubbles, thus also became to known as "Bubble Tea." Bubbles floated on the top your drink and bottom of your drink.

Bubble tea is also known as boba drink, pearl tea drink, boba ice tea, boba, boba nai cha, zhen zhou nai cha, pearl milk tea, pearl ice tea, black pearl tea, tapioca ball drink, BBT, PT, pearl shake, QQ (which means chewy in Chinese) and possible many others.

Bubble drinks are usually cool, refreshing, and a sweet drink with tapioca pearls sitting on the bottom of a clear cup. Sometimes the drink is made with fresh fruits, milk, and crushed ice to create a healthy milk shake. You can also find drinks that are made of powdered flavoring, creamer, water, and crushed ice. And if you like it like the Asians do, the cool drink usually includes a healthy tea, infused by a flavoring.

Tapioca pearls are black, but can sometimes be found to be white or transparent. Depending on the ingredients of the pearl, the color varies. I've been told that the white and translucent pearls are made of caramel, starch and chamomile root extract. The black pearl includes sweet potato, cassava root and brown sugar, which add the black color. The consistency of tapioca pearls are somewhere between jell-o and chewing gum.

Do you like to drink bubble tea?
What flavors do you like/dislike?
How often do you drink it?
Do you make it at home?

I love bubble tea! :superhappy: My favorite flavors are honeydew and coffee. I totally dislike watermelon bubble tea because it tastes so weird. Every time I go to Montreal, I buy ingredients to make it at home since there are no bubble tea shops in my town. All the ingredients I need are tapioca pearls and bubble tea powder. It's not as good as the commercial ones though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 06:59 PM #2 of 17
I love bubble tea!

I can't pick a definitive flavour that I like since every Bubbletease location and small shop offer so many damn exotic flavours. I think Passionfruit and Lychee are the only ones I remember liking a lot, but they're all good.

I also have yet to distinguish the difference between adding milk or not. It's just that there are so many options for your bubble tea that there's no way I could do the same thing each time, except for putting in the tapioca bubbles. Otherwise it wouldn't really be bubble tea.

I drink it once in a while, since it's like a luxury drink, starting at $3.00+

I wish I could make it at home

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:01 PM #3 of 17
I like bubble tea, but it's so expensive that I rarely eat it. Strangely, I love watermelon flavour. Mmmmm... Can't be bothered to try making it at home. I don't like having tapioca in my tea though.

I'd rather get guava drink instead. It's cheaper and just as good.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Azi
Chocobo

Member 341

Level 14.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:30 PM #4 of 17
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
I also have yet to distinguish the difference between adding milk or not. It's just that there are so many options for your bubble tea that there's no way I could do the same thing each time, except for putting in the tapioca bubbles. Otherwise it wouldn't really be bubble tea.
Is it good with milk? What are the other options for bubble tea? I don't know them since I drink regular homemade bubble tea most of the time.

Originally Posted by Summonmaster
I drink it once in a while, since it's like a luxury drink, starting at $3.00+

I wish I could make it at home
For 6~7$ of ingredients (powder + tapioca pearls), you can drink bubble tea up to eight times. The commercial one is the best, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Azi; Jun 25, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:50 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 06:50 PM #5 of 17
I loo~oove Boba/Bubble Tea!! Lucky for me, there's several Taiwanese places very close to my campus that make fabulous bubble tea. Previous to my moving to Texas, the only place I could get any was in LA in Little Tokyo. It's about $3.50+tax, so I only get one once a week on average. However, the one place I go to the most is CoCo's Cafe, and they have about 50 flavors to choose from. They offer Milk tea, regular tea, Smoothies, Slushies hot drinks and plain fruit juice with optional jelly or boba pearls.

My favorites are the Taro root smoothie (tastes like ice cream or something), Green Tea milk or latte and Passionfruit slushie.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 08:55 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 06:55 PM #6 of 17
I don't really drink a lot but when I do, it's either peach ice tea, thai ice tea, or mango/pinapple smoothie. I usually get it without the tapioca. Just cause.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 08:58 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 07:58 PM #7 of 17
i love bubble tea
i usually get minds at this shop in austin called "momoko's"
my favorite Tara root... tis good ~_~

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:43 PM #8 of 17
I can't tell the difference between having it with milk or not. Maybe it's a smoother texture? I guess that doesn't make sense since the tea is liquid anyways, but I just get that impression.

Options everywhere I go seem to include:
-tapioca or no tapioca
-grass jelly or no grass jelly
-flavoured jelly or no flavoured jelly
-slushie-style, bubble tea, ice
-obviously small, medium, and large

There also seem to be at least 20 different flavours on each menu :S
I would love to make it, but even knowing the ingredients I don't know the process What's the difference concerning the "commercial" kind?

How ya doing, buddy?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:51 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 09:51 PM #9 of 17
Love the stuff...favorite flavor is taro, hands down. And it's like 40 cents in Taiwan, so I had it pretty much as often as I could.

I remember there was one guy who never had it before, and he was looking at a picture of it online, and he was like, "Those are tiny cups!"

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 25, 2006 at 10:53 PM.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:33 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 04:33 AM #10 of 17
I love bubble tea but I could only get it when I was living in a larger city. In most places they just don't sell it and when they do it is all one flavour and expensive. I would knock back a couple of cans in one go so it became a costly habit.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:32 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 12:32 AM #11 of 17
Originally Posted by lemonmanko
i love bubble tea
i usually get minds at this shop in austin called "momoko's"
my favorite Tara root... tis good ~_~
That was actually the first place I tried Taro root ^^. The lady said it tasted like ice cream (but didn't say what it was until after I had tasted it). Up 'til that point I had only had Taro root in potato chip form.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:54 AM #12 of 17
I love Bubble tea too! They sell it in a lot of places here, but the main reason I don't drink so often (just like most people) is because of the price. My favorite flavor is still peach. I used to make it at home by buying the mix and the pearls but it just doesn't taste as good as the ones they make in stores so I stopped. I haven't had a bubble tea in months. ;__;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shinimegami
Succexy

Member 1145

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:03 AM #13 of 17
BUBBLE TEA!!!!

If you don't like it and ur azn - ur NOT azn!!!

Lol - no fave flavour but I like iced/smoothied varieties - tastes less fake and watered down.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:57 PM #14 of 17
There is a small local teahouse here that has served bubble tea to this area for more than three years. Great stuff, and my fav has got to be the strawberry.

They also do live music every thursday night and serve homemade lunches (wraps/steamed dumplings/etc)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:08 PM #15 of 17
My favorite is coconut flavour.

FELIPE NO
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:13 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 02:13 PM #16 of 17
I'm a rabid bubble tea fan. There's a great little place in a strip mall downtown that serves 20 flavours of it. I'm addicted to the honeydew melon one. My god, SO good.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

soapy
Chocobo

Member 903

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:43 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 04:43 PM #17 of 17
I only drink almond milk black tea, once in awhile I'll try a thai iced tea but it's hard for the places to get it right so I always stick to certain locations. Tried making it, but you need the really expensive almond powder that Ten Ren uses so I'd rather just buy it. We did find a place that was buy one get one free, but now it's only buy one get one free after 6

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Bubble Tea