Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Visual Novels - Now with all the gameplay of a block of cheese.

Chen
Posting in the speed of sound!

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old May 4, 2009, 09:04 AM #1 of 23
Visual Novels - Now with all the gameplay of a block of cheese.

Well, I did a search and found nothing of this genre on this forum.
I really enjoy these and wanted to share two of my favourites, if you want, feel free to share some yourself.
I hope you enjoy them.

True Remembrance
The last one I played, I felt the need to write about it first becuse this is probably my favourite.
" This is an ordinary tale of the ordinary days spent in an ordinary town by an ordinary girl who learns that everything in this world is extraordinary ― or that nothing is. For in this world, there is a young man named Blackiris; a Mnemonicide par excellence. And there is a young girl named La; sweet and warm and gentle in all the ways that count. This is their story.

Listen. " (taken from the site,I couldn't really say anything more then thet in order not spoil anything )

It's about 2-3 hours,pretty short.

Link.

Narcissu

The anonymous protagonist is diagnosed with lung carcinoma shortly after his twentieth birthday, and is admitted to hospice care at a hospital in Mito, Ibaraki. There he meets Setsumi, a woman 2 years older than him, who is also terminally ill. Finding that they both reject to die either in the hospital or at home with their families, they run away together in a Honda Integra belonging to the protagonist's father.

They travel west across Japan's many highways and prefectures, initially not knowing where to go, but later collectively decide on taking the narcissus fields of southern Awaji Island as a somewhat arbitrary destination.

Link.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 05:11 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 11:11 AM #2 of 23
Visual novels?

I don't really get what we're talking about here. I think the more commonly used term is JRPG.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 05:33 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 10:33 AM #3 of 23
Visual novels?

I don't really get what we're talking about here. I think the more commonly used term is JRPG.
hurrr

Most amazing jew boots
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 06:31 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 09:31 PM #4 of 23
I played/read/clicked through/whatever Kana: Little Sister after I read all the "I CRIED AT TOUCHING VIDYA STORY" reviews. It was pretty okay. Sex scenes were stupid, though.

"HERE HAVE SOME DEPRESSING"
"Okay!"
"NOW SEX"
".. Ok-Okay?"
"HOLY SHIT QUICKLY BACK TO DEPRESSING"

Time Hollow (DS) is decent, too. It's about a MAGIC PEN and ADVENTURES oh ho ho, the adventures that magic pen goes on.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 06:37 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 02:37 PM #5 of 23
Now now, you have a

"Do not make love to Kana"

option as well

Tsukihime was pretty rad, though I haven't played through most of the other story arcs as rereading WALLOFTEXT was too offputting.

Let's not forget Phoenix Wright.........

I was speaking idiomatically.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 06:49 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 09:49 PM #6 of 23
But if I chose that option I'd have less things to complain about on the Internet!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chen

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old May 5, 2009, 07:20 AM #7 of 23
But if I chose that option I'd have less things to complain about on the Internet!
Thet's strangley true about a lot of people...
anyway, I played Time hollow , it's was very interesting.
Phoneix wright is considered a visual novel , right ?

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 07:37 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 03:37 PM #8 of 23
Very much is and a fine one too. It's pretty much an interactive book, albeit with some fairly amusing item spinning and additional mic shouting.

Many people don't acknowledge it though because Visual Novel is generally an alternative term for h-games because people are embarrassed o i did not just go there :]

How ya doing, buddy?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 08:01 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 11:01 PM 2 #9 of 23
True Love '95 is still one of the best things ever.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 08:23 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 02:23 PM #10 of 23
Visual novels?

I guess you could apply the term to both what is being referred to here, and to JRPGs. The difference is that JRPGs have a battle system. That makes them kinda the electronic form of a Fighting Fantasy book. Typically (what is referred to as...) Visual Novels are only interactive in the same way as a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

I enjoyed Tsukihime, but I don't generally have the patience to play through these things.

Chen

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old May 5, 2009, 08:54 AM #11 of 23
I guess you could apply the term to both what is being referred to here, and to JRPGs. The difference is that JRPGs have a battle system. That makes them kinda the electronic form of a Fighting Fantasy book. Typically (what is referred to as...) Visual Novels are only interactive in the same way as a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

I enjoyed Tsukihime, but I don't generally have the patience to play through these things.
A lot of people wil agree with you , I myself love those novels. feels like reading a book or watching a movie.
anyway , I remember there being a new DS visual novel ... what was his name again ?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 05:33 PM #12 of 23
I've started Chaos;head, and subsequently lost my save file so now I have to start again. I think I was at chapter 8 or so. Also plan on starting Tears to Tiara at some point.

I'm also about halfway through the demo of Katawa Shoujo. Shit is entertaining.

As far as console ones, I want Last Bullet for DS to get translated something fierce.

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old May 5, 2009, 06:07 PM Local time: May 5, 2009, 05:07 PM #13 of 23
Phoneix wright is considered a visual novel , right ?
I don't know if I would call Phoenix Wright a novel, there's a lot of things to figure out. Time Hollow, on the other hand, is mostly just carting your character to wherever you're supposed to go next and there's not a whole lot of thinking involved (i didn't think so anyway)

It's true that it really depends on your definition of "novel." I think of a novel as something that largely happens itself, without much help from you - you don't really need to be ahead of the game. The Wright games are almost more puzzle oriented in my mind - you have to already know what's coming to advance the story.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 06:11 PM #14 of 23
I've started Chaos;head, and subsequently lost my save file so now I have to start again. I think I was at chapter 8 or so. Also plan on starting Tears to Tiara at some point.

ENJOY READING THROUGH ALL OF THAT TEXT AGAIN HAHAHAHA

The ending is badass though so I hope you do finish it.

Chaos;Head is the only one I've played, never really considered VNs.

I am playing Katawa Shoujou like Taco because the premise is so damn absurd.

#654: Braixen
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 06:14 PM Local time: May 5, 2009, 04:14 PM #15 of 23
Hourglass of Summer counts, does it?

Most VNs, like Qwarky said, are loaded with hentai content anyway.

Most amazing jew boots
Chen

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old May 6, 2009, 12:16 AM #16 of 23

As far as console ones, I want Last Bullet for DS to get translated something fierce.
I tought im the only one who played it here. Katawa Shoujo really is something special.

I don't know if I would call Phoenix Wright a novel, there's a lot of things to figure out. Time Hollow, on the other hand, is mostly just carting your character to wherever you're supposed to go next and there's not a whole lot of thinking involved (i didn't think so anyway)

It's true that it really depends on your definition of "novel." I think of a novel as something that largely happens itself, without much help from you - you don't really need to be ahead of the game. The Wright games are almost more puzzle oriented in my mind - you have to already know what's coming to advance the story.
Well , Melty blood and some other RPG's considered visual novels. I myself not sure what's supposed to be the definition so i'm just looking for games with lots of text.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 6, 2009, 12:40 AM Local time: May 6, 2009, 08:40 AM #17 of 23
Well , Melty blood and some other RPG's considered visual novels.
Tsukihime. Melty Blood was the fighting game.

And if it's just awesome WALLOFTEXT games, you can't go wrong with Planescape: Torment. Fantastic narrative, great RPG to boot.

Most amazing jew boots

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2009, 03:51 AM Local time: May 6, 2009, 02:51 AM #18 of 23
There are lots of VN style games that are not just animu bullshit and rape sims, so moving this back to general VG unless that's all that's going to be talked about.

yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 08:17 AM Local time: May 8, 2009, 05:17 AM #19 of 23
Try Umineko no Naku Koro ni if you haven't, that's what I call a good visual novel.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 11:35 AM Local time: May 8, 2009, 09:35 AM #20 of 23
There are lots of VN style games that are not just animu bullshit and rape sims, so moving this back to general VG unless that's all that's going to be talked about.
Skills, "animu bullshit and rape sims" is pretty much the definition of a visual novel, at least as far as most people here are concerned. There's a reason we have an "anime games" section in Animespot as well, neglected though it may be.

If you're intent on drawing discussion away from Japanese games, I think you're consigning this thread to death.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 02:54 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 01:54 PM #21 of 23
Huh? I'm not intent on doing anything.

But the scope of the entire genre isn't *just* anime games, and even if that's all you talk about, there's a chance someone else could bring up something that's not, so.

It's not like threads don't die horrible quick deaths in AS and it's child forums, so if it's gonna die, it's gonna die, doesn't matter where it's sitting. Just bump it every four months like you do the touhou thread and no one is gonna give a shit. I'll make sure no one hands out thread necromancy red cards, how's that?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; May 8, 2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: I type good :(
Chen

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old May 10, 2009, 02:30 PM 1 #22 of 23
Well I tried not to talk about eroges but I just have to.
anyone tried Yume Miru Kusuri ? I completed all 3 routes three days ago.
(actual spoilers)
Spoiler:
Nekoko route is the best IMO , Your'e not a dad and you don't get beaten up nor watch your girlfriend get raped.

(used to hide image)
also :
Spoiler:

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2009, 01:26 PM Local time: May 11, 2009, 11:26 AM #23 of 23
Sounds like a classy date.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Visual Novels - Now with all the gameplay of a block of cheese.