Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Happening

Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:28 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 03:28 PM 1 #1 of 82
The Happening

So I saw a trailer for this at the cinema yesterday, and thought it looked quite good. Thing is, the trailer talks about some 'bad event' happening, but dosn't actually say what. Anyone know any more about this movie?

Here's the trailer - Apple - Trailers - The Happening

I quite like Shyamalan's films, so i'll be sure to go see this!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:43 AM #2 of 82
Here, let me save some trouble and post this link with such invaluable opinions made by one of our few resident film makers!

Epic explanatory entry by Sprouticus

tl;dr? It will SUCK! But what do we know, we haven't seen it yet! Still, its a good read in the commentary anyway.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:29 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 09:59 PM #3 of 82
I've seen the trailer for it, and yeah it has caught my interest but not because M. Night Shyamalan is making it, I'm just a fan of any kind of post apocalyptic style movie or anything like that.

I haven't seen any of his movies pass Signs, though I did enjoy The Sixth Sense and I absolutely enjoyed Unbreakable. One of my personal favourites.

I kind of get the feeling when I eventually go see this movie, it'll be good for the first 80%-90% and then during the last few minutes of the movie it'll probably throw out some random unexpected twist that will utterly ruin the movie experience for me.

I'll have to wait and see when the movie comes out.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:38 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 12:08 AM #4 of 82
Anything M Night Shyamalan just sends off huge WARNING sirens in my head these days.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:49 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 01:49 PM #5 of 82
Was anyone other than me extremely pissed when I found out that this movie WASN'T going to be about killer bee attacks?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:58 AM #6 of 82
Bees had something to do with the movie, but not what you'd expect. (See Colony Collapse Disorder.)

Danielle, Sarah and I saw this film tonight and we're horribly confused by it. We aren't quite sure if it is actually a horror-suspense film or a subtle dark comedy, and that's not a good thing. I'd elaborate more if it weren't 1 AM but I have to say that was either the worst $10.25 I've ever spent to see a movie or the unintentionally best. Everything about the movie was horrible except the story, but even that wasn't executed well enough to merit much regard. Even then, for a movie that is marketed as a horror-suspense film, I wasn't expecting so much comedy. I also wasn't expecting so much bad acting. Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel demonstrated fully that they don't belong in the A-list...either that, or Shyamalan is just that bad a director.

I wouldn't recommend anyone see this with a straight face and even the lowest of expectations. It has scary moments, it has suspenseful moments, but if you go with a crowd you will end up laughing more than anything else. In all honesty, taken at face value, this has to be the worst movie I've ever seen...and I've seen Rockadoodle.

3/10 (for at least getting me to laugh a little, sit through the movie, and think about whether it was intentionally supposed to be a comedy)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:08 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2008, 12:08 AM #7 of 82
Saw it, and man. It sucked. Horribly. Not much more to say.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:26 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2008, 12:26 PM #8 of 82
Anyone care to post the awful TWEEST in spoiler tags? Or without them. I don't really care.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:10 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2008, 02:10 PM #9 of 82
I was severely disappointed and upset with the movie. The story uses some pseudo scientific explanation for the phenomenon which just falls absolutely short. The acting was very stiff and virtually emotionless and the way people acted when 'diseased' was completely unbelievable. Granted some things were a bit creepy, like several people hanging from the tree tops or people falling. But beyond that the story ended conveniently enough and left it open for a sequel, which I hope doesn't come to fruition.

I honestly wished for a twist ending for the movie. It probably would've benefited. from it. A complete waste of time and I wish I had seen the Incredible Hulk instead.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:12 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2008, 02:12 PM 1 #10 of 82
M. Night what's his name should have been a good tipoff as to how this movie was going to go. It's kind of like ignoring a "bridge out ahead" sign while driving.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:00 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 05:00 AM #11 of 82
M.Night makes a certain sort of movie. If you like his movies, youll like this movie. If you dont like his movies, you wont like it. It isn't rocket science.

It is effectively like coming out of a fancy restaurant and complaining you didn't like the escargot, despite the fact that you never like escargot.

Quote:
WolfDemon
Spoiler:
he didnt go so much for the big twist this time. We are led to believe that the happening is caused by a neurotransmitter released by plants, causing disorientation and a lack of self preservation in humans. Its reminds me very much of the effect of Cordyceps on ants, or the effect of a certain type of parasitic flatworm on snails.

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:15 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2008, 05:15 PM #12 of 82
So I like some of his movies and dislike some of his other movies. What was I supposed to expect there? Technically I liked three movies and disliked one. I never saw Lady in the Water.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:18 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 AM #13 of 82
my comment wasnt targeted at any one in specific.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:06 PM #14 of 82
M.Night makes a certain sort of movie. If you like his movies, youll like this movie. If you dont like his movies, you wont like it. It isn't rocket science.

It is effectively like coming out of a fancy restaurant and complaining you didn't like the escargot, despite the fact that you never like escargot.
O jesus, this is rich.

I liked a lot of his movies, and I am not ashamed to admit it. I loved Signs and The Village (much to the dismay of the film gurus)

M. Night is an arrogant ass, and this movie (particularly following the train wreck that was Lady in the Water) was so incredibly laughable, no one can even begin to take him seriously.

Even if there is some kind of dark, B-movie comedy going on intentionally, he even executed that poorly.

I don't understand M. Night fanboys, I really really don't.

Quote:
Spoiler:
he didnt go so much for the big twist this time. We are led to believe that the happening is caused by a neurotransmitter released by plants, causing disorientation and a lack of self preservation in humans. Its reminds me very much of the effect of Cordyceps on ants, or the effect of a certain type of parasitic flatworm on snails.
Spoiler:
There was no twist. The storyline was transparent the entire time. WOOSH WOOSH WIND TREES O NO. You could get the "twist" in the first 5 minutes of the film.

I think the intended twist was the genre of the movie, no joke.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Magus-Cie
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31014

Level 3.52

Jun 2008

Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:17 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2008, 08:17 PM #15 of 82

I wouldn't recommend anyone see this with a straight face and even the lowest of expectations. It has scary moments, it has suspenseful moments, but if you go with a crowd you will end up laughing more than anything else. In all honesty, taken at face value, this has to be the worst movie I've ever seen...and I've seen Rockadoodle.
Sir....the question is have you seen Shark Attack 3: Megalodon or The Man Who Saved The World (aka Turkish Star Wars)?

Truly the worst two movies I have ever seen.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:20 PM 1 #16 of 82
Spoiler:
I think the intended twist was the genre of the movie, no joke.
Spoiler:
The twist is that there wasn't a twist ending

Truly the worst two movies I have ever seen.
Eh, everyone on the internet says this at some point. Its like peope bringing up Manos: The Hands Of Fate back in 1997. Its a stupid posturing thing that by naming the worst movie currently known on the internet, you attempt to trump the arguement.

I can name a list of major Hollywood movies that are a LOT worse than anything in this thread.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:40 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 03:40 PM #17 of 82
my absolute favorite person. Sass sass sass. You with all your assumptions and stuff.

If you like some of his movies, and dislike some of his movies, then you might like or dislike this one.
if you are a fan of his, then you will probably like this movie.
if you arent a fan of his, then you probably wont.

there are plenty of people out there, who will watch every movie by a director or a writer, and complain how they didnt like any of them; which begs the question... why do you keep watching them.

now, continue with all your assumptions. it is the very height of the reason why i never stay for more than a few posts at a time. Everything has to be aggressive, and an assumption, and a personal attack. Gotta love bigotry, and based on an assumption no less. Fantastic, can it be better?

if youll notice, i didnt even give my personal opinion of M.Night's latest 'work'. Nor did i give any defense for any opinion either way, except stating the obvious which many movie goers don't seem to get. This doesnt stop you from assuming, does it? Go on, assume away, it does seem what you like to do.

Btw, I think escargot is terrible. It's flavor reminds me of when I chewed through a ball-point pen by accident.

Last edited by avanent; Jun 17, 2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: escargot
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:48 AM 8 #18 of 82
it is the very height of the reason why i never stay for more than a few posts at a time
So are you getting close to your quota pretty soon

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:06 AM #19 of 82
Danielle, Sarah and I saw this film tonight and we're horribly confused by it. We aren't quite sure if it is actually a horror-suspense film or a subtle dark comedy, and that's not a good thing. I'd elaborate more if it weren't 1 AM but I have to say that was either the worst $10.25 I've ever spent to see a movie or the unintentionally best. Everything about the movie was horrible except the story, but even that wasn't executed well enough to merit much regard. Even then, for a movie that is marketed as a horror-suspense film, I wasn't expecting so much comedy. I also wasn't expecting so much bad acting.
Funny, this is the same way I felt about Indiana Jones. I'm still convinced that it was intended to parody itself.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:19 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 02:19 AM #20 of 82
Funny, this is the same way I felt about Indiana Jones. I'm still convinced that it was intended to parody itself.
As opposed to the other Indiana Jones movies, which took themselves seriously and weren't a tongue in cheek homage to a genre?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:49 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 10:49 AM #21 of 82
I knew this was going to be the worst fucking movie of the year as soon as I saw the trailer. With memorable-for-all-the-wrong-reasons lines like "WE'VE LOST CONTACT" / "WITH WHOM?" / "EVERYBODY," and "THERE APPEARS TO BE AN EVENT HAPPENING," I'm surprised it's not subject to more online piss-taking than it already is.

M. Night Shalamanalayan is such a fucking tosspot. The fact that everything he directs hinges on one huge twist that everyone knows about within days of release means that people don't have a reason to watch his slow-motion backwards trainwrecks of films (among other reasons, of course).

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:55 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 04:55 AM #22 of 82
I knew this was going to be the worst fucking movie of the year as soon as I saw the trailer. With memorable-for-all-the-wrong-reasons lines like "WE'VE LOST CONTACT" / "WITH WHOM?" / "EVERYBODY," and "THERE APPEARS TO BE AN EVENT HAPPENING," I'm surprised it's not subject to more online piss-taking than it already is.
Pointing out that M. Night is a shitty filmmaker isn't really, you know, fun. Taking the piss out of something should at least be entertaining. But everybody already knows he's awful. It's a given. You know it going in. It's a matter of how it's going to suck. What specific bullshit plot is he going to reach for. Now, The Happening is so dull and uninteresting that it just isn't really worth talking about. It's been a few flicks. M. Night has even lost his ability to make mocking him fun.

It's like poking fun at Goldfish for his shitty taste in music. It's not fun anymore. The guy is just tedious.

Most amazing jew boots

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:02 AM #23 of 82
my absolute favorite person. Sass sass sass. You with all your assumptions and stuff.

If you like some of his movies, and dislike some of his movies, then you might like or dislike this one.
if you are a fan of his, then you will probably like this movie.
if you arent a fan of his, then you probably wont.

there are plenty of people out there, who will watch every movie by a director or a writer, and complain how they didnt like any of them; which begs the question... why do you keep watching them.
See, maybe I'm ignorant or something, who knows, but I usually watch movies for entertainment purposes.

Which doesn't mean I lock myself into "SO-AND-SO DID IT, SO IT MUST BE GOOD!" I'm not a fan girl. I don't judge what I will and won't like based on some arrogant prick who thinks his movies are a godsend. I don't pledge allegiance to any one film producer. There is NO director in my opinion who has a PERFECT track record. You have hits, you have misses.

And I think your gross generalizations are pretty much what I am calling into question.

Like I said,, if you possessed any kind of reading comprehension whatsoever, you'd see that M. Night in my opinion has made some fairly decent films which I enjoyed! That doesn't mean I will be a loyal "fan" just because I liked some of his movies. That's blind, that's not enjoyable, and that's fucking stupid.

So it's not that I can't stand anything he does! It's not that I keep watching, expecting a train wreck! I spent $10.25 to see this movie! Do you think I would do that if I KNEW it would be awful? ((In retrospect, I really should have figured this one out. But post-apocalypse shit cause me to temporarily go batty)

I was hopeful, but skeptical. I know that a lot of people absolutely loathed The Village for some nefarious reasons, and I can't trust the opinions of others when it comes to enjoying a film. This is why I gave The Happening dollars. I also gave Lady in the Water dollars. I think this is where the whole "fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me" comes in.

Quote:
now, continue with all your assumptions. it is the very height of the reason why i never stay for more than a few posts at a time. Everything has to be aggressive, and an assumption, and a personal attack. Gotta love bigotry, and based on an assumption no less. Fantastic, can it be better?
Yes, we're all bigots because we don't like a shitty movie. How insightful of you.

Quote:
f youll notice, i didnt even give my personal opinion of M.Night's latest 'work'. Nor did i give any defense for any opinion either way, except stating the obvious which many movie goers don't seem to get. This doesnt stop you from assuming, does it? Go on, assume away, it does seem what you like to do.
More butthurt, please. I'm not seeing enough from you.

Quote:
Btw, I think escargot is terrible. It's flavor reminds me of when I chewed through a ball-point pen by accident.
Yea, that really doesn't justify your stupid analogy which made your bias incredibly clear. Or maybe you just don't understand analogies?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by I poked it and it made a sad sound; Jun 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:04 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 04:04 PM #24 of 82
Calculus... Calculus...

This film was awful...

Calculus... Calculus...

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:30 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 04:30 AM #25 of 82
Quote:
Sass:
Stuff
Your jumping to conclusions, assumptions, and taking absolutely everything personal again. This sort of thing makes you very unpleasant to carry out any sort of communication with.

Quote:
If a director continues to disappoint me, I dont keep seeing their movies. For movies, people seem to to think differently.

For me, I find the mass majority of speilberg's work overrated. I dont see a movie directed by him, unless it looks really really good to me. In most movies, I find his directing to be the height of directing just like everyone else. He has directed a few movies very well, but typically, I dont care for his style. I know he has the ability, but the he normally chooses to direct in a way I find massively over rated. But thats my opinion, and I know everyone has their own opinions, and thats fine. My opinion helps me not feel dissatisfied by spending my night and my money on movies I generally will not be impressed by.

Look at Krel's posts. He says that he knew it was going to be bad, and it sounds like he doesnt like M.Night, or the movies he makes in general. So, why did he go see the movie? And why is he so upset about something he knew was going to suck.

I'm going to stab myself, right now, and I know its going to hurt.
It really hurt, now I'm pissed off.

I hate this author, I'm going to read his book, I bet its going to suck.
It sucked, I'm angry.

Like every other episode I've watched, I found spongebob today a total waste of my time. I'm angry.

In any example, you can come up, doesn't seem to make sense, unless perhaps its an obligation, but seeing a movie isn't an obligation. If you know your not going to like it, why subject yourself to it? And then, you get pissed off because you knew you weren't going to like it? Of course, this doesnt apply to you, since you were in the same boat I was going in. I was merely pointing it out because so many people seem to miss the fact.

For your information, I too, like some of his movies, and dislike some of his movies. So, I saw it, knowing I might or might not like it. If I didn't like any of his work, I wouldn't have bothered seeing it. This movie entertained me, but I did not feel it was a strong movie, I think he could of done much better.

As for my analogy, I was under the impression that most people dislike escargot. Ive always considered it an acquired taste. I used this for the analogy since most the complaints i've heard about the movie start off with 'M.Night sucks, all his movies suck, I knew this was going to suck.' This sort of argument makes no sense to me. Just like, if someone were to continually order escargot, despite never liking it, wouldn't make any sense to me either. Using this example, didnt give my opinion on neither snails nor M.night. You chose to jump for a conclusion all by yourself. Other times i've used that analogy, people have jumped to other conclusion as well, that I disliked the subject I was talking about.

Itd be nice if you could communicate with less assumptions and in a more civil manner.

Last edited by avanent; Jun 17, 2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: escargot

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Happening