Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Soy products and health foods

joeymui
hime sama

Member 454

Level 16.99

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:48 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 09:48 PM #26 of 52
I think the rule is 'eat just what our body needs instead of stuffing ourselves with too much extra'. Most of us should count ourselves lucky to have so much fresh produce readily available, often a lot more than what we really need, when there are still a lot of people starving in some other part of the world.

I lived in Indonesia for 2 years, the food in the area I was staying was just horrible. The vegetable and fruits (very limited choices for us who has been staying overseas) in the supermarket look really sad, some even got mold growing on it (and yes they continue selling the spoilt food). A lot of expired packaged food are still being sold in the convenient stores. Some shop keepers try to erase the date, some just don't bother. The wet markets are even worse, trades are conducted next to piles of rubbish which you can smell from miles away. I had to prepare meals myself as everytime I eat out there I get stomachache, I don't know why, could be that I am allergic to some of the ingredients they put into the food or the hygiene of the food preparation process.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:40 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:40 PM #27 of 52
This is the only Soy related food type consumer friendly sale product you need to worry about;

THE KING. THE KING OF SOY...A

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:11 PM #28 of 52
Infernal Monkey, are those very salty?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 10:20 AM #29 of 52
If you go with the Sour Cream and Chives flavour, yeah. It's like eating Woolworth's supply of cooking salt. The rest are fine/AWESOME though. Soy..a King is on a rampage!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:43 PM #30 of 52
Since I've never seen these before, what stores would have them?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DBCE Slayer
Witness the POWER!!!

Member 779

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 06:43 PM #31 of 52
The only Soy product I have ever had was Chocolate Soy Milk. As a matter of fact, that's the only Soy product I like.:eyebrow:

FELIPE NO

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:13 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 01:13 AM #32 of 52
I think chocolate soy milk is everyone's introduction into the world of soy beyond tofu .

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:26 AM #33 of 52
I just bought soy butter yesterday. It's like peanut butter only made with soybeans. It tastes alright, but it's really dry. I guess there is less oil in soybeans. Anyone else ever try it?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:29 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 05:29 PM #34 of 52
Never tried soy butter, but I have had soy sour cream and I must say, it was pretty damn good. It's better than the cheap version of the real stuff, at any rate.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:19 PM #35 of 52
I'd like to try both of these! How about for desserts, what do you recommend?

timid geek
Observing

Member 562

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:15 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:15 AM #36 of 52
I made a tofu dessert once that was good.

I melted chocolate with a little Kahlua and then blended it in silken tofu. I lput it in a gramcraker pie crust and let it set in the frig. It tasted like a chocolate moose.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:29 PM #37 of 52
I can't tolerate chocolate because it makes me ill. What is Kahlua and what does it taste like?

timid geek
Observing

Member 562

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:07 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 06:07 PM #38 of 52
Kahlua is a coffee liqueur . I don't put much in. Just a tea spoon or so.

If you don't drink alcohol you could probably substitute it with vanilla and some regular coffee flavor.

To make the dessert healthier, you could substitute the chocolate with milk. Since kahlua flavor goes nice with milk.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:45 PM #39 of 52
Could I use soy milk instead?

FELIPE NO
timid geek
Observing

Member 562

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:09 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 11:09 PM #40 of 52
Soy milk should work. You could even use that vanilla flavored brand you mentioned. Make sure its sweetened as well.

Also, since it's milk just add enough milk to were the tofu is a thick paste so it can reset when its in the frig. Or you could maybe put in alittle agar-agar (japanese seaweed gelitine) or unflavored gelitine to get it to set.

:ashamed: I've never actually made this variation though. So If you do try it make a small test amount first.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by timid geek; Mar 11, 2006 at 11:12 PM.
EmpyreanHorizon
The cow is stuck...

Member 2562

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:32 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:32 PM #41 of 52
I live in the Philippines---we have really good (not salty) soy chips here. Also, the soy ice cream here is unusually good. I don't know if you guys have it there, but if you do, you should try it.

Most amazing jew boots
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:22 PM #42 of 52
I've tried soy chips at Trader Joe's before. They're quite good and not salty. I have as of yet to find soy ice cream. Are there any other soy desserts you can recommend?

Most amazing jew boots
EmpyreanHorizon
The cow is stuck...

Member 2562

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:15 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:15 PM #43 of 52
There are a few soy desserts here but they're notorious for their 'non-diet' qualities (it's hella sweet!). Look up soy custard or 'tawa' or 'taho' or 'dau hu'. I think they have a recipe onliine but since i'm here, i just usually buy it from the street vendors. It's the only food i'll buy from those places since I know they have to use only the cleanest water to wash and prepare the soy beans.
Then again, now that I look back, looks like Timid Geek made another version. So if you're able to get a hold of some silken tofu, go ahead and add whatever syrup you want--i like caramel with sweetened tapioca pearls. or try ginger syrup--ginger is an herbal medicine so that should compensate for the sugar intake...I think.

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:40 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:40 PM #44 of 52
I go to an Adventist university (for those who don't know, which would be just about everybody, 7th Day Adventism is .. kind of like a Christian denomination. Only more like their own little world. They're big on health.) Anywho, at this school the cafeteria only serves vegetarian products (and everyone is required to purchase a huge chunk of credits there at the beginning of the school year just to make sure that's the only place we eat.) We can't even get meat out here. I'm not Adventist, but they have some of the best food. We eat a lot of Worthington and Loma Linda products, like soy scrambled eggs and soy breakfast sausages which are absolutely wonderful, soy meatballs in spagettis, soy chicken ... called "fry-chick", soymilk and soy-yogurt which is actually rather lovely. My brand is "Silk", they make soymilk and soy yogurt. Really good stuff. I lived down south in the US for a while and got used to the really heavy meats and sweet stuff, but the change was for the best I'm sure.

Worthington makes this soy-meat stuff called "Choplets", I definately reccomend it if you like meat. The texture isn't nasty at all, like some other pseudo-meats, and the taste is really good.

Green tea is beautiful, I still sweeten it with sugar but some of my friends use styvia rather than sugar to sweeten food. I don't like the metallic aftertaste of styvia though.

Last edited by Hydra; Mar 13, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:08 PM #45 of 52
What is styvia? Also, I'm not big on real meat at all so I'm not all that big on trying soy or tofu meat either. My fam gave me some breakfast sausages, which I ate this morning. I didn't really like them all that much. It's probably because I've stayed away from meat so long that anything that resembles it repels me.

Rachelle
Syklis Green

Member 2670

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:05 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 10:05 AM #46 of 52
Originally Posted by EmpyreanHorizon
There are a few soy desserts here but they're notorious for their 'non-diet' qualities (it's hella sweet!). Look up soy custard or 'tawa' or 'taho' or 'dau hu'. I think they have a recipe onliine but since i'm here, i just usually buy it from the street vendors. It's the only food i'll buy from those places since I know they have to use only the cleanest water to wash and prepare the soy beans.
Then again, now that I look back, looks like Timid Geek made another version. So if you're able to get a hold of some silken tofu, go ahead and add whatever syrup you want--i like caramel with sweetened tapioca pearls. or try ginger syrup--ginger is an herbal medicine so that should compensate for the sugar intake...I think.
From where I'm from we call it "tou fu hua". It's certainly easier to just buy it from the vendors than making it yourself and it tastes great with a sugar syrup. I can eat tofu in almost anyway, but the one I like best (probably not the healthiest) is to cover it with cheese, garlic and some pepper and then baking it until the cheese melts. Yummy!

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 04:13 PM Local time: Mar 17, 2006, 02:13 PM #47 of 52
Has anyone ever tried substituting soy milk for regular milk? The milk I get at stores in my area tends to go sour fairly quickly, and I think soy milk tends to keep for a bit longer. If it would make a decent substitute then I might try buying that instead.

FELIPE NO
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 05:33 PM #48 of 52
Yeah, I do it all the time. I'm lactose-intolerant, so I have no choice but to drink soy milk. Soy milk does keep longer than regular milk. You should try it. I've been drinking soy milk for about three years now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
lazuli
cerulean skies

Member 2667

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:00 PM #49 of 52
I used to eat a soy burger by a company called Morning Star farms, they were really quite good. They also made Tomato Basil Pizza soy burgers that were quite delicious as well. I can find these in my Walmart's grocery section. I don't eat much soy anymore because of a lot of studies concerning how it might not actually be the "magic" food it's claimed to be. Also I've made a shift away from anything processed/packaged to mostly organic fruits and veggies. It does get somewhat expensive :\

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:37 PM #50 of 52
What studies would those be? Soy is better for me than the stuff I've been eating. I've noticed an improvement in my health versus eating red meat and drinking milk. Maybe it's only me.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Soy products and health foods