Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Opening an ISO on a laptop.....

Sonic 3
Carob Nut

Member 4474

Level 6.19

Apr 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:58 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 11:58 PM #1 of 11
Opening an ISO on a laptop.....

Okay, heres the problem. My disc got scratched right up, so I couldn't play Sim City 4 any more. And plus it got deleted from my hard drive, so I have to reinstall it. But I still have the CD key, so it's ok. My friend ripped Disc one and two to normal cds for me, tried them on this p.c., they worked just as normal cds, both when I used them as cds and when I saved the files to his hard drive. So, assured that they work, I trid the same trick on my laptop.

HOWEVER

There is some weird application on my laptop known as Record Now! Toshiba. This application makes it easy to rip cds and stuff. No problem there. But, the thing is....it recognises all ISO formats as Record Now files.....so when I click on the ISO format, it keeps opening it up in Record Now, for me to save to a cd. It won't open the ISO...'as is' basically.

I cannot remove Record Now from my laptop, as it is not actually mine and I cannot go to any options to 'unassociate all files', like you would with say, Windows Media Player. Is there any sort of way to get around this, without deleting Record Now from the laptop? (it seems to be built in, there is no folder for it, or anything; is this the only way laptops burn to disc?) Or perhaps there is a program I can download from the net, allowing me to open these isos, or at least select 'open with' and open the ISO with that program?

YES I AM A NOOB. SORRY. For other isos, this is not a problem, as Gens seems to be able to read Sonic CD fine (purely speculation of course, I don't own any roms or anything=)

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! This will help me in more ways then one...I think my Yuri's Revenge Cd is a bit scratched as well....

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:01 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 12:01 AM #2 of 11
Simply open the program you want to open the ISOs with (IsoBuster, MagicISO, cdrdao, etc.) and then open the file. Context menu also provides you with a 'open with' possibility, so you can choose the program yourself.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sonic 3
Carob Nut

Member 4474

Level 6.19

Apr 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 12:10 AM #3 of 11
no prob. Do you have to pay for these programs....and if ya do, are there any free ones out there?

Most amazing jew boots
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:24 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 12:24 AM #4 of 11
First: Please state what exactly your problem is (and maybe more important: What exactly are you trying to achieve - do you want to look at the content of the ISO, do you want to modify the content, do you want to mount the ISO).
Next: Use brain + google to get information about the tools I mentioned.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sonic 3
Carob Nut

Member 4474

Level 6.19

Apr 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:39 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 12:39 AM #5 of 11
ugh. Ok I want to open it as a CD. Example: When I double clicked on the ISO file on me mates p.c., it took me in to the contents of it. From there, I could select Autorun, etc.

At the moment, the ISO image is stuck with an inbuilt program for laptops, known as Record Now. This program allows me to burn stuff to CDs/DVDs, but that is it. Each time I try to open the prog, it opens with Record Now, and chucks it in the Record list, as if I want to record it to a CD. That seems to be the only way I can access the file at all ATM.

What I'm trying to say is all I have are 2 ISO files. I want to open them, as if they were actual CDs. So I can install the game on my computer.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Sonic 3; Jun 29, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:55 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 12:55 AM #6 of 11
So you want to mount the ISO so you can access the content like on a regular hardware disc-drive. For that you need some virtual disc-drive program. Because I suspect that you're only interested in 'free' software, you should go with Daemon Tools. But installing that includes the integration of a new device driver into the system. Because you are not supposed to change the config of the system this is possibly not an option.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 07:08 PM #7 of 11
He just said he couldn't uninstall anything. Depending on the owner, they might not even notice.

FELIPE NO
Sonic 3
Carob Nut

Member 4474

Level 6.19

Apr 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:11 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 02:11 AM #8 of 11
Double Post:
Sorry to double post....but these ISO's are really begining to bug me.

Sim city 4 will not recognise any CD, not even the one in the virtual drive. I mean it will not recognise any of it's cd1 ISO's not matter where they are stored. It just says Incorrect CD, and shuts down. And the virtual Daemon thing cannot explore ISO's.

What I am saying is that now the game is installed on my p.c. I still need the offical CD to run it. Is there any way to just use one of the ISO's I have on my p.c.?

EDIT: Also some people have said for me to just 'mount the ISO using command line mount -t iso9660 /mnt/sdb1/images/CD1.iso /home/user/ISO_IMAGE_MNT/ -o loop'..................WHA? I don't know what command line is or how to access it......are you talking about the black screen on old BBC computers, and Spectrums and Commodores, where you had to type RUN: file1.....etc? Would I need one of these sort of command line thingys? Where do you get if from if I do? I would much rather use a Windows type one, ie: move the mouse to open ISO and click, rather than look at a blank screen and type in D:/ mount/..cd1ISO-home/use etc. etc.......

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Sonic 3; Jun 29, 2006 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Unforgiven
How do I reach this fucking orb?

Member 6028

Level 16.56

May 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:14 PM #9 of 11
Of course the game won't recognize your CDs. Get a no-cd crack for your game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SeanParnika
River Chocobo

Member 762

Level 23.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:49 PM #10 of 11
have you tried to install alcohol 120?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:56 PM #11 of 11
Originally Posted by Sonic 3
EDIT: Also some people have said for me to just 'mount the ISO using command line mount -t iso9660 /mnt/sdb1/images/CD1.iso /home/user/ISO_IMAGE_MNT/ -o loop'
Who told you to do that, and did you tell them you're running Windows? Even if 'mount' was a DOS command you wouldn't have a '/mnt' or '/home'. You should hit these people. Unless you're running Linux, in which case you should have said something.

Anywho, does the Virtual CD drive show up under My Computer? If so, you should be able to right-click on it and select 'Explore' after you've mounted the ISO.

Oh, and for the record, the easiest way to get a DOS prompt in Windows XP is WindowsKey+R->type 'cmd'->Hit enter.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Opening an ISO on a laptop.....