Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Straight edge or not?

elevator
wannabe oneironaut

Member 4868

Level 4.76

Apr 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 11:04 PM #51 of 92
I think that the feeling of being superior that most of the sXe kids nowadays have is pretty silly. I don´t do drugs, don´t smoke and I avoid alcohol if I can - but I never used the term straight edge to describe my lifestyle. I avoid these things because I am aware of the negative effect they have on my health.

It´s understandable if people who do the above are annoyed when someone wants to push their lifestyle on them, I detest behaviour like that as well and would never tell someone to stop drinking (unless a friend of mine drifts off to addiction.. that´s a whole different story of course).
Okay, granted - I´m annoyed if someone smokes beside me but I´ll try to respect that and not breathe the smoke in . And I hope most of the smokers respect it if someone doesn´t want to have smoke around him and try to control their urge...

Minor Threat and Fugazi rock though, and I think sXe nowadays is not what Ian MacKaye intended it to be. I heard of hardcore sXe "gangs" that beat up people who do drugs (could very well be bullshit, but everythings possible nowadays, don´t you think?)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 05:52 PM #52 of 92
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
The case was made earlier that people won't exactly love drinking after just their first drink. They could have hated that one drink, but then were just a bit curious to see why people seem to love drinking, and then they could discover: "oh I don't like the drink, I just like chatting with friends with a drink in hand." Then from that, it obviously changes a person. If that person starts to the love the idea of having a drink in hand, and decides that they need a drink in hand each time they chat with friends, then that person is obviously different from their previous self before trying out drinking.
If you truly believe that such a situation would arise than you do not have much faith in yourself. Certainly, substances can take control over you, especially if you take too much or abuse them, however you make the conscious decision to take them when you are sober.

Originally Posted by summonmaster
I'm not saying that will happen, but it's just an elaborate scenario that is one of a possible many. Just to reinforce my point that I'm fine with who I am, and one of the reasons is that I don't want to change as a result of trying something that could be life-altering (even though there is obviously also the possibility that it won't be). After all, drugs, alcohol, and smoking seem to be big topics on their own, and we probably wouldn't include them in our discussion if they weren't such a big deal in some way.
If you live life analyzing everyone possible scenerio, no matter how elaborate, then you are restricting your own possibilities. Drugs and alcohol aside, living a life in this matter, you give the impression that you leave your life up to chance and not your own control. Your last paragraph also hardly reinforces your belief that you are content with yourself. If you were truly content with who you are, you wouldnt wonder about these wild predictions and firmly believe that what you are doing is the best choice. Anything COULD happen as you have said, but you contribute to your own future with your decision, not some game of possibility.

Be yourself but have some faith in your choices and decisions.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by THIEF; Aug 4, 2006 at 08:17 PM.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 06:45 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 05:45 PM #53 of 92
Not drinking, smoking, or doing drugs is fine. It's your body, do what you want with it. I respect that. I don't do drugs or smoke, but I do drink.

Referring to yourself as straightedge, sXe, or ever having said the phrase "no poison for life" renders you an automatic douchebag.

If you're that afraid that you may get tipsy you have to brand yourself and others with such a ridiculous tag in an effort to keep pure, you're too stupid to be using up my precious air.

How ya doing, buddy?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:19 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 09:19 PM #54 of 92
Straightedge is pretty much one of the stupidest "cliques" you can associate yourself with. Intentionally categorizing yourself in any sort of group really is kind of ridiculous as it is -- but straightedge rings distrubingly true of judging people that choose to smoke or drink and placing them in a negative light. As long as these things are done responsibly, they're not harming you or anyone else.

I respect people who choose not to drink or smoke, and that's their own choice. But, for example, only hanging out with other straightedge kids and particularly thinking less of people who do partake in these activities is ridiculous.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:44 PM #55 of 92
1. Life is too short; might as well have fun with it.
2. people are prone to evils anyways, welcome to the club...?

I mean it's ok for those who put a goal in not drinking, smokeing and/or having sex; But I just don't like it when they slap on some status to it. I mean... HOW ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE OUR SPECIES SURVIVE O_O!? (ah I over exagerate, there's tube babies, I forget )

FELIPE NO
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:01 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 12:01 AM #56 of 92
Originally Posted by Luckee Cookie
1. Life is too short; might as well have fun with it.
2. people are prone to evils anyways, welcome to the club...?

I mean it's ok for those who put a goal in not drinking, smokeing and/or having sex; But I just don't like it when they slap on some status to it. I mean... HOW ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE OUR SPECIES SURVIVE O_O!? (ah I over exagerate, there's tube babies, I forget )

Um....what the hell?

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:03 PM #57 of 92
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
The case was made earlier that people won't exactly love drinking after just their first drink. They could have hated that one drink, but then were just a bit curious to see why people seem to love drinking, and then they could discover: "oh I don't like the drink, I just like chatting with friends with a drink in hand." Then from that, it obviously changes a person. If that person starts to the love the idea of having a drink in hand, and decides that they need a drink in hand each time they chat with friends, then that person is obviously different from their previous self before trying out drinking.
That is not how alcohol addiction starts, sir.

Quote:
Just to reinforce my point that I'm fine with who I am, and one of the reasons is that I don't want to change as a result of trying something that could be life-altering
I have noticed that only children find change a necessarily bad thing. Look at you, you make it sound like learning what beer you like will change your personality, and you back it up with a scenario of your own invention. I don't care if you drink or anything, but do you honestly think you don't change* from day to day?

* however you care to define this. What a strange opinion to have, that there is something about a person that is absolute.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Sarag; Aug 4, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:25 PM #58 of 92
Originally Posted by nabhan
Um....what the hell?
it's what late night calculus sleep depervation syndrome makes you blabbery...

*falls over*

Most amazing jew boots
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:44 PM #59 of 92
I'm really sorry I used the words "straight edge" in the first place. I simply meant it as an easier way of saying "someone who does not smoke, drink [excessively], or do drugs."

PLEASE get over the label. It was just a descriptor; talking about how stupid the label is won't enhance the thread any further... we're over labels.

Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:10 AM #60 of 92
ah but there is a herd out in the world that lives for these 'labels'. When someone is aloted to a 'prestige' (i can't think of a better right now) from a label, it offers perhaps a direction in life or even some type of value in the end. However, everyone has a different value system (duh) so weither the importance of a label for one's own security will be determined by the reasons or objectives of the individual's motivation to go through with these ideals. May it be created in the reversed direction but when ideas get out and are backed up with 'reason' then we have people following by labels.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:45 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 10:45 PM #61 of 92
Hmm, I guess I COULD have been Straight Edge at one point, but I don't like the idea of restricting myself based on just because its the cool thing to do.

Essentially, I tried out Weed, Alchohol... and well that's about it, because I looked into what these things did beforehand and used logic to surmise that:
A. Weed is natural, and the most tame of 'drugs'. Plus its only illegal becauses its similar to Cigarettes in the most popular form of intake (Rolling up into a joint, which looks like a cigarette very roughly), and that the Timber Industry, and later the Tobacco industry kept the substance illegal to keep up profits.

An example given earlier is perfect: I sometimes enjoy the loosed up feeling that I get when sufficently buzzed, but I don't need it to have a good time.

As for Straight Edge people: Do what you gotta do. I just dislike the 'high and mighty' attitude that I encounter, and half the time these same people will engange in sex, drugs, & rock&roll ( ) and give off some excuse or something, becoming very hypocritical.

From my perspective its a pure lifestyle choice, and to look down on others because they don't choose the same way is both juvinille and says a lot about a person's lack of character & compassion (Meaning to be Tolerant of those who are different from you).

But the same could be said of all Lifestyles :dracula:

I was speaking idiomatically.
elevator
wannabe oneironaut

Member 4868

Level 4.76

Apr 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 11:01 AM #62 of 92
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Hmm, I guess I COULD have been Straight Edge at one point, but I don't like the idea of restricting myself based on just because its the cool thing to do.
I don´t think "restriction" is the fitting word to describe a drug-free lifestlye. The choice to not do some things, I think, has nothing to do with restriction. Personally, I don´t feel the urge to smoke, do drugs or get drunk - so I´m not restricting myself in the way of "I want to, but I try not to". I don´t feel that I´m missing out either.

I agree, a lot of the sXe kids stay edge for a few months because it´s cool and not because of an inner conviction. For them, it´s something to call themselves and a scene thing. That´s why I can´t stand the label (sorry thread opener, I promise I won´t mention the label again )

Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 06:37 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 10:37 PM #63 of 92
I don’t do drugs, smoke and rarely drink. However, that’s my choice not to do so, and not the choice of my parents, peers or rules forced upon me by religion -needless to say, I never considered it to be a trendy lifestyle choice. So while I guess I have similar ideals, the reasons are different and I’m not part of any straight edge subculture/scene. Every group seems to have superiority complexes, probably due to their self imposed ‘elitist’ status, and I suppose it reminds me a bit of those people who fill in online ‘Who I want to meet’ fields with Lord Jesus, sign their emails with psalms or write hymns in their spare time. You want to think you’re all better than the average joe? Fine with me.

FELIPE NO
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 07:08 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 05:08 PM #64 of 92
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
The problem is every straight edge I've met has tried to tell me to stop. In fact, every straight edge I've met also carries this false sense of "superiority" because they are clean and untainted.
I've had the same problem with these "straight-edge" kids myself, but I wouldn't say that every one of them is like this.

In my few run-ins with a few straight-edge people, it's been my distinct displeasure arguing with them for one reason: They felt the need to castigate me for being a drunk and (at least back then) a habitual pot smoker. It's one thing to not enjoy drinking and recreational drug use but don't expect me to adopt your lifestyle just because YOU enjoy it. A lot of vegans I've met are also the same way but, as I said before and since it's off-topic, it's really unfair to group the extremists with the casual lifestyle followers and I'll lay that to rest.

I will admit though; I joke about this at, say, a party when I offer someone a drink and they decline only to hear me say, "Come ON! It's just a drink! Don't be such a pussy!" or something of the sort; but the truth is if someone doesn't enjoy drinking or decides to abstain from any intoxicants... Good. More power to them. If they decline a drink on the basis that they just don't enjoy alcohol then that's exactly what they do and forcing one upon them is, in my eyes, no different than say forcing yourself on someone sexually, otherwise known as rape.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 07:38 PM #65 of 92
Wow. I had never even heard of "straight-edge." But from reading different people's posts, I guess I'm more of a "straight-edge"...although I still don't understand this "straight-edge" concept.

When compared to some people I know, especially the ones who are religious, I'm not so good(is that the right word?)
I decided to smoke and drink while in Germany(to see how it was) and I didn't like it. I probably will never do those things again.

Umm..but I don't care if other people do that(unless their family) because I don't want them to get hurt, but I'm only going to try to tell them to stop for so long...

Hope that made sense.

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Dr. Chud
Carob Nut

Member 7155

Level 3.83

May 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 08:52 PM #66 of 92
I like alcohol, and I've done it enough to the point where I prefer certain kinds, and thrive on trying new beers/whiskey/liqour that I've not tried before. This is not to say that I drink a lot, (I'm actually trying to go six months with out a sip. So far I'm doing ok for have 5 1/2 months to go.) but I definitely like to drink now and then. I won't smoke anything, however.

I would be striaght-edge if it weren't for liking alcohol and eat meat (if that counts at all to you). I also am completely addicted to coffee/caffeine.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 08:53 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 07:53 PM #67 of 92
I used to be very straight edge. Actually, I'd still consider myself close to being the same. I don't do drugs, drink alcohol (albeit I'm underage) or any of that jazz, and although I'm not a virgin, I've only given it up to someone I was seriously involved with. I don't think there is a clear definition of the term (to be honest, I think it's a retarded term), but I probably fall under it, nonetheless.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:14 PM #68 of 92
Originally Posted by Encephalon
If they decline a drink on the basis that they just don't enjoy alcohol then that's exactly what they do and forcing one upon them is, in my eyes, no different than say forcing yourself on someone sexually, otherwise known as rape.
No, there is a world of difference between rape and peer pressure. I'd really only go so far as to say that forcing a drink on someone is the same as forcing a person to not drink.

Last edited by Sarag; Aug 6, 2006 at 10:20 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:23 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 08:23 PM #69 of 92
Originally Posted by a lurker
No, there is a world of difference between rape and peer pressure.
Maybe so, but to me it's all a matter of degree. I've seen people literally say, "Fuck you. You're drinking this!" and pour a shot down someone's throat when they declined a drink. That's the kind of "forcing" I mean. You wouldn't make a Muslim to eat bacon by force, would you? Sure we can pressure someone all we want but until the pressure is forcibly applied, then yes it's still only peer pressure.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:41 AM #70 of 92
Wow, that is extreme. =o

I would in Guatanamo, they're all terrorists anyway

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:47 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2006, 05:47 AM #71 of 92
I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink (well, a bit, if the ocassion calls for it). Nor had sex. Does that make me superior?

Ah, the wonders of living in a poor country.

FELIPE NO
Savage100
I hate confrontations!

Member 5950

Level 4.22

Apr 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:30 AM #72 of 92
I hadn't ever heard this term either. It seemed easy enough to grasp at first, but after reading more I'm sufficiently confused. I'll just explain myself instead of mulling over the meaning of straight edge.

I'm a virgin to everything that might make me not straight edge (except eating meat, which I do without thought) and heavily reserved. On the other hand, I have a few friends who are the opposite, so I've been exposed to a lot. Our friendships have stuck all throughout grade-school and now we're almost to our third year of college, still going strong, despite our differences. What's strange is that I don't get along with people similar to me nearly as well. Obviously I don't give a damn what people do (short of acts that have victims); as long they're good company and cool to me, we're good to go.

I won't do anything unless I'm sure I want to do it. Peer-pressure just blows right by me, and I've been pressured to drink on many occasions. I am, however, not exactly proud of my iron will. Yesterday was my 21st birthday and I went to an unrelated party with some friends. I've never had a sip of anything alcoholic. Of course, that information got blurted quick. I was hardly the center of attention or anything, although the host, a girl our age who was a friend of my friends and merely my acquaintance, was really trying to get me to drink something. At one point she was in my face with a spoon of mixed smoothie; had me backing up in circles. I'm ashamed to admit that I enjoyed that moment.

What would have been better--much better--is if I had just let her do it. I've built up this arbitrary barrier for myself. A major difference between me and I'm sure many straight edge folks is that I haven't made any decision at all in regard to drinking. I don't know what to do with it. I think in my mind it's ridiculously close in magnitude to jumping off a bridge, and that's why I leave the whole choice alone. It's "pending." I'm not worried about self-control.

I just decided as I was typing that I'm going to get over this on New Year's Eve. All this is silly and not a big deal at all. I've built it up waaaaaaay too much. This is freaking leftovers from my childhood. I used to get deeply sad about arbitrary changes if they were irreversible, or only happened once in a lifetime.

Maybe my case can help put this in perspective for anyone wondering why some people don't drink. Granted, I don't know anyone like myself (probably more out there like me than I think), but it's nonetheless not all about morals, self-doubt, and smugness.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
spiderweb
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10514

Level 3.62

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:04 PM #73 of 92
Oh, I've heard the term plenty. But I tend to stay away from kids who actually use it to describe themselves. I don't really consider myself straight edge simply because if the opportunity comes up, and I feel like drinking, smoking weed, etc. I'll do it. Not out of habit, it's just that I don't restrict myself. However, I don't do it often at all.

And Savage, I sort of know what you mean about drinking being "Pending," up until college I was unsure of whether I'd do it or not. I never considered pot and alcohol [well mostly pot] as these bad, degenerate things. But I was never really tempted to do it either, it was basically "whatever." Then I went to college, where this stuff is easily available, and there's absolutely no peer pressure whatsoever - I've noticed after middle school, peer pressure isn't as much of a big deal as some people may think it is, in fact people went out of their way when I first drank and smoked pot to make sure I really wanted to do it. I was curious so i tried it, nothing serious, and that clinched it for me - that alcohol and drugs [well, atleast pot] are not these big phantom temptations I learned about in middle school.

Savage100
I hate confrontations!

Member 5950

Level 4.22

Apr 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:50 PM #74 of 92
Yeah, what they told us in school is part of it. I shy away from anything "bad" or "wrong," and back then, it was. It stuck. Now that I'm responsible enough and have seen plenty of it, I see nothing wrong with it. I've just built it up into this huge thing for years.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
вяоκєи.
i_h8_u.

Member 10244

Level 2.50

Jul 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:39 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 12:39 PM #75 of 92
I usually drink for one reason, to get drunk. Now I know thats not really the right reason and all, but hey, it's what I do. I smoke aswell, probably more than what I should, and probably a stonger strength than what I should too.

Though weed, haha. No way. If hell froze over and it was the end of the world, I'd still despise the shit. I fucking hate it. I've never tried it in my life. Aswell as other drugs, as in pills, gas, etc. Fucking stupid shit. I can't stand it all. As far as drugs go, I'm the cleanest person you'll ever meet. I don't know what it is hey, but I just can't stand it. Weed, I've got more of a hatred of that shit than anything else, though. I've lost so many friends and a few girlfriends over that shit, and even though I get the "I can't control their life and what they do with it" bullshit, it killed me to know they were doing it.

Most amazing jew boots

--yeah...; [ υ сяєатєd а яιfт wιтнιи мє. ] now there hav been several complications tht hav, left me feelng nothng. ...i mite say...; u were wrng 2 take it from me...; u left me feelng nothng.

i lōōk 'rōūnd ūr hōūse. būt there's nōthin' 2 steāl.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Straight edge or not?