Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Firearms!
FOR! (The only right answer) 21 38.18%
Against (Insert random joke) 32 58.18%
Undecided (too weak to have your own opinion?) 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

For or against?

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:56 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 06:56 PM #126 of 276
I would dare say, though, that people making their own guns with primitive machinery would increase the occurence of firearm accidents. =)

Quote:
I was criticizing the argument that "law-abiding citizens" should have a right to bear firearms. Of course, every criminal was a law-abiding citizen before he became a criminal. Because frankly, if a firearm is used to inflict lethal injury, it's usually a crime; thus the perpetrator becomes a criminal. I might also add that "criminals" are usually kept in prisons and don't even have a chance to fire a gun in the first place.
I'm not sure if that's at all what people are saying. I mean, I'm not Gumby or David, after all. The argument in regards to gun registry, though, is based on its actual effectiveness in regards to law enforcement. I mean, with no fool-proof way to track any firearm made, it's impossible to know who has an unregistered firearm. I suppose we could "audit" people on their firearms possession, but that would be an illegal search of property. Then again, the judge would already be on the side of the agency.

The other problem with gun control, is that from a practical standpoint, it doesn't make a lick of sense. How can you honestly determine what lead-spewing pipe is more dangerous than the next lead-spewing pipe?

The last gun ban bill that wasn't renewed was based on gun aesthetics as opposed to any measure of lethality. Of course, if it would be based on terms of lethality, you'd have to settle for an acceptable "lethality threshold." So if everyone can, say, only own a .22, there's no real point in possessing a right to bear arms, and if you draw the line at hunting weapons, you've still got high-powered rifles and shotguns.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:05 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 02:05 AM #127 of 276
Originally Posted by Chibi Neko
I hardly ‘ever’ heard of someone getting shot here in my province. Everyone in my family have shot-guns. We keep them in a closet in the basement unloaded, and are only taken out in hunting seasons like moose or sealing. The same story can be heard across Canada.
That's what I found to be so hilarious in "Bowling For Columbine", you Canadians being armed to the teeth as well but with far less gun related crime. It has to come down to an attitude problem on the (US) Amercians' part, doesen't it?

FELIPE NO
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:56 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 03:56 AM #128 of 276
At least in my area of the country the majority (90+%) of violent crimes with a gun are committed by people who are into a number of other things that are less than legal, drugs and gangs being two examples.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:27 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 02:27 PM #129 of 276
I get the feeling you care more about reducing criminal violence figures than actually bringing about a further degree of community safety.

Either that or you're merely pissed you mightn't be able to go quail hunting with an M60 because democracies have this niggly habit of legislating for majorities.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:43 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 08:43 PM #130 of 276
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
That's what I found to be so hilarious in "Bowling For Columbine", you Canadians being armed to the teeth as well but with far less gun related crime. It has to come down to an attitude problem on the (US) Amercians' part, doesen't it?
Yeah I like the way the pro gun lobby automatically assumed Bowling for Columbine is some pro gun controls movie when the Canadian example goes on to prove that it's not. But then again rarely are gun owners smart enough to have deductive reasoning.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
MysteryRidah
The Abandonware Master

Member 1668

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 09:44 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 06:44 AM #131 of 276
Like i said, gun/weapons are the devils work. The world doesnt need them, " For they are one of the roots to destruction - $Till LegendaryU2K "

Now of course there are other reasons why we dont need guns, another reason. Well when the government goes out thier way to spend billions of dollars on weapons instead of using that money to end poverty, something is serious wrong and as always mankind is foolish in all of thier ways.

Guns are for the weak - Untouchable2K

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 09:23 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 07:23 PM #132 of 276
Can we spend a few billion dollars on swords, though? Because, I mean, they're pretty fucking cool.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:36 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 07:36 PM #133 of 276
Ugh, first of all, comparing crime rates based on a country's gun-laws is ludicrous, because you completely ignore other contributing factors. Culture has a lot to do with it, I will agree that Americans have a much more violent culture than most European countries, however, I won't say that it's because we have "loose" gun-laws. Though I would make an argument for the converse.

On the other hand, saying that you want to own a weapon for self-defense is also kind of lame. First of all, you're bringing a tool used for the killing of living things, and at the very least this tool will cause serious injury. This is a risk factor to your family in and of itself. Secondly, I don't know of many home invasion robberies that happen while the victims are at home. Criminals are generally opportunists, their object is to get what they want with as little risk or effort on their part as possible.

The other argument is that other tools we use everyday are dangerous as well and some people have equally dangerous hobbies. I'll agree with that, but it doesn't necessarily justify the case, either.

I don't particularly care myself whether my neighbor owns a gun or not. As long as he doesn't point it at me.

Ultimately, yes, criminals commit crimes. That's why they're criminals. Gun control laws aren't going to completely eliminate gun-violence either, because there's always a way to procure items illegally. Drugs are illegal, but they're pretty damned prolific. Even in countries with tough gun control laws, there are still crimes committed with guns, if it were as simple as eliminating them from the retail market (hoping that this would eliminate the street availability of guns), then why are there still crimes committed with guns in countries like Japan?

Of course, I don't think I really have to explain the concept behind escalation and such. Paranoia breeds a sense of need, people procure arms both legally and illegally.

Really, the problem isn't with guns, it's with the violent nature of humans. Murder and other violent crimes can still happen without guns. Stabbing someone is a lot more difficult than shooting someone (assuming you can properly aim the weapon to begin with), but that doesn't seem to stop people form committing murder with knives.

To be honest, I don't really see why you need fully automatic weapons for home defense. If you lay down that much firepower, inside of your home, or on your property, there isn't going to be much left assuming you're successful in stopping the intrusion.

Then again, most crime isn't committed with fully-automatic weapons like you see in the movies, they're too expensive to purchase and maintain (rounds, required maintenance, etc).

Pistols, yeah, they're lethal but they're certainly more practical for home defense than shotguns or rifles. I don't understand the need to hunt with guns, there are many other ways to hunt animals, but then again, I do know that there is a necessity for keeping away mountain lions and such away from your home.

I don't have a big problem with current gun control laws, it keeps honest people honest.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DeadHorse++
zzzzz,,,,,

Member 4447

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:42 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 10:42 PM #134 of 276
I once worked for a company that designed and manufactured scopes for handguns and rifles. Naturally, the company is very pro-NRA, simply because outlawing guns hurts their business.

On a realistic side, I'm pro-freedom to defend oneself, and pro-freedom to hunt. And yes, this includes firearms. Now, I'm not going to bring-up questions about rights and all that political crap. Rather, I'm going to point this out in a realistic light.

Do you need a gun to defend yourself? No, you can also always take Judo. Do you need a gun to hunt? No, and there are several bows on the market arguably more accurate than many firearms. However, let's look at the issue like this:

Why shouldn't guns be legal?

The most importand, and most voice opinion/reason, is that they are too dangerous. Let's face it: So are automobiles.

Which is where my solution comes into play. Why have a manditory 3-day waiting period for owning a gun? To keep you from killing someone in "the heat of the moment", background checks, etc. So why is that all you need to do to obtain a gun?

Requre all prospective gun owners, all current gun owners, and the immediate family members of gun owners/pgo's to take gun safety classes. Familiarize people with their gun. Teach people that they are not toys. Have professionals demonstrate exactly what a gun can do to a person. Seeing someones' head shot on TV is one thing; seeing a manniquins' head full of tapioca pudding and ketchup get shot is quite the other. Teach people how to use their gun.

Granted, this won't keep criminals from getting a gun, nor will it hinder those who REALLY want a gun. Especially since I am completely against a national registry for gun owners (Poland, anyone?). However, it WILL teach normally honest kids that the gun they want to show off isn't a plaything. It will teach responsibility. And it would lower the accidental shooting rates in America.

This is what my old company did. They sponsored people coming to to teach gun safety classes, and they encouraged us to bring in our own guns to learn how they work (and provided guns should we not actually own one). They taught us the parts, how they work, how to clean and care for them. How to hold them (there are lots of stances). How to target. How to shoot properly, and where to aim if you eve point a gun at a person in self defense. That if you point a gun at someone, you better be ready to shoot them, and not using the gun for anything but your last option.

And yes, I do say that I'm quite proud to be one of the best shots in that company's history, having hit a simulated (steel) duck head at fifty feet with a semi-auto pistol 8 out of 9 shots on average. The head, not the body (which is what we were supposed to be aiming at).

Now then, I also don't think ALL guns should be legal. Machine guns? Please, as if those are hunting guns. All they're good for "hunting" are people. Let's use a little common sense. I liked that Brady Bill...and it's a shame it wasn;t renewed while the Patriot Act was...but that's another barrel of fish.

And I'm not one who sees the sport or fun in shooting fish in a barrel.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rikimaru
Resident Ninja Always Kicking Arse!

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 02:23 AM #135 of 276
Here are some points why US have the right to own a gun:

1.) To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.

2.)The advantage of being armed . . . the Americans possess over the people of all other nations . . . Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several ... [countries], which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

3.)A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, should not be infringed.

By the way, these arguments are from the best minds of the political world.

FELIPE NO
Ninjitsu is an art of being unseen. I, therefore, cannot be seen. Those who see me shall not be seen again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

JOIN NOW!

Last edited by Rikimaru; Apr 2, 2006 at 02:30 AM.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:46 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 06:46 PM #136 of 276
If you're not going to read while on Internet then why even have a modem?

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Apr 2, 2006 at 03:54 AM.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:06 AM #137 of 276
Dead Horse, how can there be required classes for all prospective and current gun owners if there is no structure with which to know who has, and does not have one? Without any kind of registry, there can be no way to enforce the course you suggest.

And who's going to pay for that?

Rikimaru, so all those other countries that aren't armed to the teeth don't have freedom? Or is it that they only have a little freedom which is soon to be lost?

Best minds in the political world (It's ever so difficult not to tack on a snide remark)? Who are these best minds? And what was used to back up those assertions?

Cal, Reading is for wimps. Real communication is not in the listening, but in the talking. ;p

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:23 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 12:23 PM #138 of 276
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
Americans have a much more violent culture than most European countries
Quoted for falsehood.

How ya doing, buddy?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:12 AM #139 of 276
Originally Posted by Gumby
OK since I am tired of catering to the weak arguments of some anti-gun idiots that are too fucking stupid to stay on topic in my firearms thread about what firearms the population of GFF would like to own we shall come here and listen to their argument in the proper place.

So are you for or against firearms and why? Maybe because someone told you to think that way or maybe because you just don't like others having the right to protect their family and home? Sooooo babble away with all the overdone arguments you want.
Libel is always a great way to start a thread.

You need to stop stroking that gun, Bubba. You're scaring the girls away.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Rock
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
Americans have a much more violent culture than most European countries
Quoted for falsehood.
Culture, not history.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Rikimaru
Here are some points why US have the right to own a gun:

1.) To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.

2.)The advantage of being armed . . . the Americans possess over the people of all other nations . . . Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several ... [countries], which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

3.)A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, should not be infringed.

By the way, these arguments are from the best minds of the political world.
From the eighteenth century. When one of the wonders of the modern world was a shitting mechanical duck. Times change. You don't write with a quill anymore. And you don't need a gun to defend your house from King George.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by ArrowHead; Apr 2, 2006 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:24 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 11:24 AM #140 of 276
I like how the "Times Change" argument has no bearing on national and home defense whatsoever.

If the British all of a sudden invaded the US, then yes, you would need a gun to defend your home. I don't know if any of you have taken a physics course, but it's fairly hard to stop a bullet with your fist. (contrary to what RAB would have us believe )

ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:59 AM #141 of 276
You fucking crack me up.

The British invading the U.S.... in the twenty first century. Puhlease.

My "Times Change" argument is pointed DIRECTLY at the "national defense" argument. It's just stupid. NEWS FLASH: America is the world's greatest superpower and has the world's most powerful military. Individual citizens DO NOT need weapons for national defense.

As for home defense, well you don't need a gun to protect your home in a country where the government doesn't allow the meth-head who's breaking in to buy a gun.

Rikimaru

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:12 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 12:12 PM #142 of 276
At least ArrowHead have any idea were I quoted those comes from.

For PUG, I got those from:
1.) Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights
2.)James Madison, author of the Bill of Rights, in his Federalist Paper No. 46
3.)Second Amendment to the Constitution
Here is the site, at the preface section: http://www.constitution.org/mil/rkba1982.htm

Originally Posted by ArrowHead
From the eighteenth century. When one of the wonders of the modern world was a shitting mechanical duck. Times change. You don't write with a quill anymore. And you don't need a gun to defend your house from King George.
You know that King George is not only the threat, and that is not only the reason why second amendment was created. Let me emphasize the third point: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State ..."

Since the Bill of Rights are for the protection of the people and the states from the thing that they are creating, which was the Union, the second amendment gives the opportunity to check the big government. If you do not have any weapons, how can you and your state fight against the big federal government?

Ninjitsu is an art of being unseen. I, therefore, cannot be seen. Those who see me shall not be seen again.

JOIN NOW!

Last edited by Rikimaru; Apr 2, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
DeadHorse++
zzzzz,,,,,

Member 4447

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:15 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:15 AM #143 of 276
Originally Posted by PUG1911
Dead Horse, how can there be required classes for all prospective and current gun owners if there is no structure with which to know who has, and does not have one? Without any kind of registry, there can be no way to enforce the course you suggest.

And who's going to pay for that?
Admittedly, requiring all gun owners to take these classes will be difficult without a national gun registry. Which is why I added all prospective owners. If you want to purchase a gun, then you have to provide proof (certificate, what have you, etc.) of completing said courses.

And if you can afford to buy a gun, then you can afford to take the class(es)/pay for the class(es) yourself.

Even if you can't require current owners to take the classes, forcing new owners to take them will, over time, have the cumulative effect of the majority of lawful gun owners and immediate family taking the classes.

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 07:25 PM #144 of 276
You know that King George is not only the threat, and that is not only the reason why second amendment was created. Let me emphasize the third point: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State ..."
How is this a reason at all? Should the average joe be allowed to carry a gun because of this Militia thing you're talking about!?

If you do not have any weapons, how can you and your state fight against the big federal government?
It's happening in France as we speak - well, these people aren't exactly fighting a war, but they're actually doing a good job at bringing their message across and putting the government under considerable pressure - without guns.

To be honest, I don't see a lot of Americans protesting against their government. It's just not patriotic. You have no need for guns.

ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:52 PM #145 of 276

Since the Bill of Rights are for the protection of the people and the states from the thing that they are creating, which was the Union, the second amendment gives the opportunity to check the big government. If you do not have any weapons, how can you and your state fight against the big federal government?
The Union which they were creating. Well it has been a long time now and anybody who isn't buying into a dozen conspiracies will tell you that there is no need to arm yourself against the federal government.

Rikimaru

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:24 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 01:24 PM #146 of 276
Originally Posted by Rock
It's happening in France as we speak - well, these people aren't exactly fighting a war, but they're actually doing a good job at bringing their message across and putting the government under considerable pressure - without guns.
Yes, Paris was successful since the government is still for the people to some degree.

The point that they are making is just so that the people and state have the option to fight or check the federal government. This gives a power to the state. It gives the means for the state the option to secede from the Union.

Everything does not go as smooth as that, protesting does not work all the time. The Confederate States protested at first but was not heard by the federal government so they tried and failed to secede.

Originally Posted by ArrowHead
The Union which they were creating. Well it has been a long time now and anybody who isn't buying into a dozen conspiracies will tell you that there is no need to arm yourself against the federal government.
However, there is still a chance that the federal government can have too much power over the state, and it can become oppressive. It is better that you are prepared for the worse as the saying goes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

JOIN NOW!
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:51 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 01:51 PM #147 of 276
Yes, Paris was successful since the government is still for the people to some degree.

The point that they are making is just so that the people and state have the option to fight or check the federal government. This gives a power to the state. It gives the means for the state the option to secede from the Union.

Everything does not go as smooth as that, protesting does not work all the time. The Confederate States protested at first but was not heard by the federal government so they tried and failed to secede.

However, there is still a chance that the federal government can have too much power over the state, and it can become oppressive. It is better that you are prepared for the worse as the saying goes.
In the event that there was some sort of uprising, do you think that soldiers everywhere, who conceivably see themselves as patriots, would all be hunky-dory with slaughtering their neighbors?

This is a more complex issue than a show of force. In terms of numbers, we have the army beat. But we're not mobilized, and we're certainly not equipped and trained to try to fight anyone, even if it is on our own ground. Hell, a single tear gas shell into your home and you'd be ready to call it quits.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rikimaru

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 02:13 PM #148 of 276
Originally Posted by Skexis
In the event that there was some sort of uprising, do you think that soldiers everywhere, who conceivably see themselves as patriots, would all be hunky-dory with slaughtering their neighbors?
Union soldiers fought against their Confederate brothers and vice versa.

This is a more complex issue than a show of force. In terms of numbers, we have the army beat.
You should have more faith on war of attrition. They work sometimes.

But we're not mobilized, and we're certainly not equipped and trained to try to fight anyone, even if it is on our own ground.
Underdogs sometimes win if they think the cause is too noble.

Hell, a single tear gas shell into your home and you'd be ready to call it quits.
Depends on what you are fighting for, I hope you do not quit.

JOIN NOW!
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:18 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:18 PM #149 of 276
Pathetic. If you really trust your lives to the federal government then so be it, but that is a very foolhardy thing to do considering the track records of the governments in power now across the world.

I love how your retort Arrowhead is that because it doesn't matter any more. What makes you so sure about that?

Dead Horse++ brings up a good point, why shouldn't I have the right to own a firearm? It is a right guaranteed by our constitution, which why I find it funny that all the foreigners are the ones telling us that we can't or shouldn't have guns. Maybe a touch of jealousy at our rights? I don't know, but the simple fact is if you are not American then you really have no say in what we choose to own or allow our people to own.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:31 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 02:31 PM #150 of 276
Union soldiers fought against their Confederate brothers and vice versa.

You should have more faith on war of attrition. They work sometimes.

Underdogs sometimes win if they think the cause is too noble.

Depends on what you are fighting for, I hope you do not quit.

So basically you're telling me "It happened 200 years ago, and it's a shoe-in today" and "Have faith, because good guys always win in the end."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > For or against?