Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Attention] Why Did I Buy This?

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:04 AM 1 #1 of 59
Why Did I Buy This?

Ever go out and get a game, come home and find its awful? Or at least really overrated? Or how about the time you went out and got Metal Gear Solid 2 and came home and found out that 3/4ths of the game you were playing as K_Tak?

Give some of your best stories of horrifying gaming disappointment. Win an offical GFF NO PRIZE if your story involves a major crowd pleasing game (Halo 3, Gears Of War, Asteroids, etc)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:24 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 07:24 AM 1 #2 of 59
I know this isn't going to be that popular, but I have to say Space Invaders Extreme. Don't get me wrong, it's an alright game, but from what people were saying (everyone from reviewers to people on these here forums) they made it seem like this was one of the best games on the system, which it hardly is. It's Space Invaders with flashing lights and techno music, not that big a deal.

As far as the gameplay changes, some of them were good, but a lot of them were recycled from the first SI DS game, Space Invaders Revolution. Overall, I'm not saying it ain't worth playing, but it's definitely not worth rushing out to buy, even at just $20.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:36 AM #3 of 59
It's Space Invaders with flashing lights and techno music, not that big a deal.
...I thought that was Space Giraffe?

How ya doing, buddy?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:38 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 06:38 AM #4 of 59
Space Giraffe was Tempest with glittery shit, LeHah.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:00 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 02:00 PM #5 of 59
I'm not sure if it falls into your categorisation of 'why did I buy this?' titles, but Lost: Via Domus would be one titles anyone should question having spent money on. Thing is, I picked it up with the full intention of taking it back (we lack rental places anywhere near where I live) and exchanging it, but I certainly would have been thinking "Why the hell did I, or would anyone, buy this?" if it had been a legit purchase.

I was speaking idiomatically.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:12 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 05:12 PM #6 of 59
Beautiful Katamari on the 360. After having bought a HDTV, I figured I should buy an HD Katamari game as well so I could see the amazing graphics. I didn't imagine they could possibly ruin a Katamari game, right? What a fucking joke. None of the quirky humor of the first game, none of the interesting levels of the second. Even the controls were less responsive. What a Goddamn gyp.

Also the music mostly sucked, when it wasn't recycled from We Love Katamari. There was a song where a bunch of fucking Japanese girls just talk. What the hell is that about?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:57 AM 1 #7 of 59
Beautiful Katamari was fine. It's just more of the same which is what I bought the game for. I found it perfectly acceptable and got the fun I wanted out of it.

There was a song where a bunch of fucking Japanese girls just talk. What the hell is that about?

This is now a THE iDOLM@STER thread.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:03 AM 1 #8 of 59

SILENCE!

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:43 AM #9 of 59
The only thing that springs to mind is Gears of War. Yes, I know everyone loves this game, but it just didn't do anything for me. It's the first game I bought with my 360, but I sold it soon afterward.

Oh, and there's Blue Stinger. I picked that up with my Dreamcast, since there wasn't a whole lot to choose from at launch, it wasn't what you'd call a good game.

The thing is, if I buy a game I regret, I usually sell it on Ebay and recoup most of my money. In this day and age, you're unlikely to buy a game that's out and out bad, because reviews and word of mouth will clue you in.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:53 AM #10 of 59
B
Only if the title where Why DIDN'T I Buy This thread.

US release WHEN

Also not so much a buy as I had a free download code, but Robotron 2084 for the XBLA is pretty much the worst shit I've played in a long time. Deleted it.

#654: Braixen
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:06 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 07:06 PM 2 #11 of 59
Super Smash Bros. Melee. What is this? The thing is, I've just bought Brawl, and that game entertains me hugely. Melee's a pile of shit, though.

The same thing about Metroid Prime. The first, Prime lol, was a hassle playing, while Prime 3 was more entertaining than most games I've played on Wii.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:16 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 11:16 AM #12 of 59
Xenosaga II. Terrible battle system. Unnecessarily long boss battles {and random encounters}. Needlessly convoluted plot. Too much focus on characters who sucked {Junior and Momo}. How the hell was the first Xenosaga good, the second one terrible, and the third one awesome? That makes no sense.

Shadow Hearts uh...three I guess. The one with the little kid being the main dude. The pacing is terrible, the characters are lame, and the story is all kinds of ::no one cares::

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Well, I know why I bought this: the expectation of multiplayer racing with the likes of Skills, Omagnus, and others. Too bad that you couldn't create private rooms. Stupid Jap developers don't know how to make a proper online experience I guess. Oh, and there is no parts house for tuning cars, instead you get access to numerically tune the cars after you complete the three beginning race classes. Oh, I can set my horsepower to exactly 348 if I want to, through the miracles of science I guess. But only after I've completed Classes A, B, and C. Bumper car racing again. The in-car driving view is epic though, I'll give them that.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:19 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 05:19 PM #13 of 59
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Well, I know why I bought this: the expectation of multiplayer racing with the likes of Skills, Omagnus, and others. Too bad that you couldn't create private rooms. Stupid Jap developers don't know how to make a proper online experience I guess.
Oh yeah. This, definitely, and that reason alone is a big enough "wha?!" feature, not even factoring in the "follow the line" racing AI.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:20 PM 1 #14 of 59
Super Smash Bros. Melee. What is this? The thing is, I've just bought Brawl, and that game entertains me hugely. Melee's a pile of shit, though.
LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK

NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:28 PM #15 of 59
Animal Crossing DS. I bought this and after a week of catching fish and digging up trees I never touched it again. It's was just boring as hell. Not to mention online play seemed to be hacked items and people trying to destroy all of your stuff.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:31 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 07:31 PM #16 of 59
LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK
I thought I won a non price there

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:37 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:37 PM #17 of 59
ANIMAL FUCKING CROSSING.

I bought a DS and was all "hey what should I buy?" Everyone said "ANIMAL CROSSING. NOTHING ELSE. EVER <3"

Well, I looked in to it and was horrendously upset. I wanted to fish. Okay, I fished and got a full inventory. I went to the store, hoping to sell, and it said "OH SORRY. IT'S 10PM REAL-TIME. WE'RE CLOSED :3" What.

I know you could alter the clock but that was too much of a mess. I was kinda like "soooo... Uhm... What now? When do I leave town?" "Huh? You don't. Why would you want to lol" ""

:sells on half.com:

Shadow Hearts 3 leaves a bitter taste in my mouth with how horrible it is. #2 remains one of the best games on the PS2, in my opinion, but 3 was just atrocious. Russ' comments more or less have it in a nutshell, though.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:53 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 01:53 AM 1 #18 of 59

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Absolutely no redeeming qualities

ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:01 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:01 PM #19 of 59
I think it was suikoden 4...5? Idk, after three they all seem to blend into a crapfest that is that =[ All I remember were the block graphics and uninteresting storyline. Oh yeah, can't forget tactics too =[
(don't get me wrong, I loved 1 - 3)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:18 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:18 PM #20 of 59
Well, I got myself Red Steel for the Wii around Christmas of 2006, and paid near-full price at $45. It wasn't a horrible, broken game, but I really second-guessed paying that kind of money for a game I quickly put away in favor of much better titles. Hell, I probably played bowling in Wii Sports more than Red Steel. Luckily, I was able to trade it in when RE4: Wii Edition came out, and had more than enough store credit to purchase that.

Also, even though it was a gift, I should also mention Trigger Man for the PS2. I much rather enjoy not playing anything (or doing anything for that matter) than trying to crawl my way through that shit. I think even Infernal would throw that game in the fire.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:21 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 11:21 AM #21 of 59
Dead or Alive 4. The memories I had of this game must've been skewed by the times I had with my friends, fucking around with it. When I got this game home and played it by myself, not only did I realize they are fucking terrible single player games, but I played online and got negative achievements for losing (something I am STILL not over). I hope Team Ninja dies in the streets.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:21 PM 1 #22 of 59

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Slow battle system, horrible voice overs, graphics are less then stellar, characters that just don't look right, and it cost as much as a 360/PS3 game.

I kept the poster when I sold it though.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:24 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 11:24 AM 1 #23 of 59
I hope Team Ninja dies in the streets.
If it's any consolation to you, they basically disbanded after being fucked with by the just recently resigned ex-President of Tecmo.

FELIPE NO
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:30 PM #24 of 59
I guess I have a few like this really.

Rhapsody - PS1. I read about this in PSM and they gave it a 4 out of 5, so while I was at the EB near UNC with some friends, I saw they had this and picked it up. The guy was trying to unsell me on it but I was like "Its an RPG. I needs mah fix!" Took it home and I played 15 minutes of it and was like "WTF is this Disney shit." Little did I know at the time that the Japanese option was for the original voice acting and songs done in japenese, I might have held on to it. Didn't find that out after I sold it though.

WCW Nitro. After loving the games THQ released on the N64 I thought I'd give their PS game a shot. Massive disappointment. The game was absolute shit. It was too easy to win, even on the toughest difficulty settings. WCW Thunder didn't really improve on this either. You could just use the same move over and over and do grapple holds to drain the energy of your opponent then it was over. Was scared to pick up the Smackdown game that came out after THQ got the license but thankfully they didn't treat that like shit.

Evil Dead: Hail to the King. More liek Fail of the King. I heard about this one being a mix between Resident Evil meets Evil Dead. So of course I picked it up and came home to sheer horror. The concept of getting gas to power your chainsaw mixed in with limited ammo was bad enough, but the control scheme was just horrible.

CastleVania: Legacy of Darkness. I knew better than buying this because CastleVania 64 was absolute shit. I bought this on a binge when I picked up Perfect Dark and that expansion pak thing for the N64. The game (at least what I recall from memory) was exactly the same game CV 64 was, except you're a werewolf and not a Belmont. I traded that game in so fast but was disappointed that I didn't even get half of what I paid back for it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:35 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:35 PM 2 #25 of 59
I think it was suikoden 4...5? Idk, after three they all seem to blend into a crapfest that is that =[ All I remember were the block graphics and uninteresting storyline. Oh yeah, can't forget tactics too =[
(don't get me wrong, I loved 1 - 3)
So what you're saying is you liked 3 and didn't like 5? Here's an idea, Garth. Shut the fuck up and never talk again.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Attention] Why Did I Buy This?