Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Halo 3 update information thread
Closed Thread

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 02:31 AM Local time: May 31, 2006, 08:31 AM #1 of 10
Halo 3 update information thread

A lot of people are rightly excited about the potential release of Halo 3 and are keen for any information available. Not everyone, however wants to read through 400 posts in the Halo 3 discussion thread to get to it...

Information on the game is released in dribs and drabs from a variety of sources, some official, some speculation. What I hope to achieve in this thread is a summary of definitive updates, as and when they become available.

Going against the general theme here at GFF, this is going to be an information thread, not a discussion thread. Post here any new information and updates and then everyone can chat about them in the discussion thread.

Anything that isn't a Halo 3 update posted in here will be deleted with extreme prejudice, as will anything posted that's already been posted by someone else.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 02:40 AM Local time: May 31, 2006, 02:40 AM #2 of 10
Apparently according to IMDB, Halo the Movie is coming out 2008 now, set back from 2007. Accordingly, Halo 3 should not be affected by this according to Microsoft. However, I find that hard to believe. Nonetheless, expect a winter fourth quarter 2007 release of Halo 3 at the moment.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:01 AM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 10:01 AM #3 of 10
Hmm, I guess this Bungie update fits the bill:
Quote:
Jaime has been working on tuning the vehicles from Halo 2, for their reappearance in Halo 3. The new engine, new graphics and so on require of course that our "old" vehicles be rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of all the extra horsepower we have. New vehicles, were there any in Halo 3, would have been created from scratch and need less re-imagining. Jaime also promises some new gameplay related features for vehicles that you might not expect.

The design, engineering, art, test, tools and audio teams, have all been working hard on a major internal milestone. Nothing you guys would be interested in but still an important and significant step. Thanks to everyone who worked late and hard to reach that goal, and they should all have a beer this afternoon to celebrate.

Multiplayer test sessions are proceeding apace and I already have stumbled into one of the perils of Halo 3 development - playing a two hour multiplayer game of Halo 3 and then playing Halo 2 at night, only to discover I have forgotten the layout of Burial Mounds and the cool new weapon I just got used to, isn't in Halo 2…

We now look forward to MP sessions when Lars instigates 'em about 4pm. He stands behind you like a stern teacher and says things like, "Why would you even play that way? You're like Mr. Magoo trying to find his way around an oil rig."

Lars is looking at how smoothly these new multiplayer maps play, and what tweaks can be applied to make a level more fun. Of course, he also has to note what kind of technical bugs there are. One match had a bunch of glowing, smoky explosions that didn't delete themselves after a blast, and simply hung there, burning in the air. It was surreal and to be honest, very pretty.

Lots of folks have asked about the weird glitch that mysteriously appeared in the HD version of the Halo 3 trailer seen on marketplace. We can assure you this is not some kind of time-released Easter egg, but rather a plain old codec encoding bug that appeared after the recent Xbox 360 dashboard update. Don't worry. Men are on it. TOP men. And in other video news, the HD QuickTime we had of our Behind the Scenes documentary is also in the land of codec hell. If we get the thing fixed, we'll repost, but in the meantime, we have an excellent WMV HD version available right now, which is actually smaller and more streamlined. So you should just use that.

Marty's visit to the Play! Concert a couple of weeks ago resulted in a couple of interviews, including this one over at 1Up.com's excellent video site - watch it for a look at what your state of mind will be when you're a nonagenarian.
Busy little bee = General theory of Relativity

Out from this update we can deduce that Halo 3 gets at least one new weapon, and there might be new vehicles. Old vehicles will be remade.
Wow, what an update!

How ya doing, buddy?

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:16 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 07:16 PM #4 of 10
Originally Posted by BigHairyFeet
You also forgot to mention that Burial Mounds will show up in Halo 3 in a new incarnation.
Actually he said that he'd forgotten the map when he went back to H2, meaning it's not in H3.

Also, this thread is not for discussion, use the discussion thread. This is the first and only warning that will appear in this thread.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:53 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 04:53 PM #5 of 10
More from Bungie's Weekly Update:
Quote:
Work continues at a frantic pace on single and multiplayer. Sometimes to two collide! Lars, the multiplayer designer was playing through on of the single player missions when suddenly he was surrounded by butterflies. 'I thought I was going insane," said Lars. But he asked a programmer - and discovered that some wit had replaced the normal garbage collection routine (the deletion of unused objects like dead bodies and dropped, spent weapons) with a more elaborate one. The corpses of fallen Covenant currently turn into a "flock" of monarch butterflies, with flapping wings. Bizarre. And I'm assured this took about a minute to implement (this statement to head off the inevitable flames from backseat developers).

Lars also let us try out a new map Sketch and I like to call "Jub-Jub," much to Mr. Bakken's discontent. And it's my favorite new small map. An instant classic like Lockout and on roughly the same scale, with similar pacing and feel, although it looks very, very different.

Our afternoon multiplayer test session/team tournaments have been going slowly. Team Cobra Kai pulled out its second victory yesterday, against Damian and Max on Team AI. We won, in spite of Sketch renaming KP and I's team "Cobra Cry" after beating us the other day.

I am finally starting to love the Assault Rifle (the one from the trailer) in MP. It's good stuff, although weapon balancing and tradeoffs may change its subtle variances between now and launch. And it could even be removed. Who knows? That's the normal course of development, finding what works and what doesn't. Right now, it works great.

There was a short but fierce debate about the pros and cons of ladders in multiplayer this week. I won't tell you how the debate ended, but I will say that I only noticed a month or two ago that there were any ladders at all in multiplayer Halo 2 - in Waterworks, to be specific, in the center structure.

They're taken out to help streamlining the frantic and even pacing of maps. Remember Battle Creek in Halo? Reimagined as Beaver Creek in Halo 2? Well it originally had ladders, but they sloooooowed things down tremendously. Replacing the access to those parapets with ramps helped speed up the pace and give the player more options and escape routes from pursuing players. A ladder is also a honey trap for sniper fodder. That said, sometimes a ladder is a logical part of a building or a scenario. CURSE YOU DONKEY KONG!
Link

Just to sum up that block of texts:
  • Currently the Assault Rifle from the trailer is in the game. It could be axed later though.
  • Multiplayer development is progressing, and we'll see a new map similar to Lockout in feel, scale and pacing, but looking different.
  • Ladders might be a part of Halo 3's multiplayer. It all boils down to how they affect the gameplay.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 09:23 AM #6 of 10
Yet more from your friendly neighbourhood Kilroy. I've taken the liberty to bold the interesting things:
Quote:
Multiplayer, single player, you name it, folks are playing it. The lab formerly known as the multiplayer lab is now also the single player lab, where folks may go in at just about any time and start playing through a selection of single player Campaign missions.

At this point, they're testing out the new AI and encounters as much as anything else. The graphics range from completely untextured placeholder surfaces, too brilliantly lit and detailed objects. But again, this is a gameplay test, not a graphics one. Lots of folks focus on what technology can do for the appearance of a game - but the 360's prodigious horsepower can also be applied to AI - the behaviors, movements and reactions of computer-controlled characters. That counts for your human allies, but it's more noticeable at this early stage in the behavior of your opponents.

Today, I swear I saw some Grunts do a classic pincer-movement to trap me in a narrow canyon. I was battling um, something bigger than a Grunt, and suddenly, I'm being peppered by a second group of jerks, mostly Grunts, who'd been sent in around my flanks to take me out. Grunts are still grunts though, and once I showed some serious opposition, a couple of them panicked and fled, but they nearly had me and it was quite a shock.

When the single player guys file out (or as is often the case, stay put) then the multiplayer sessions begin in earnest. We were trying out a new multiplayer game type - and it is super fun, yet utterly terrifying at the same time. I have never, ever heard so much frightened screaming during a play test of anything. And plenty of laughing too.

[...]

Tom Doyle, Street Fighter III: Third Strike expert, and perhaps more importantly, weapons designer, is working on a bunch of new stuff I can't mention, but also on rebuilding olde Halo weapons to take advantage of the new engine and the new level of detail. Tom uses the Covenant sniper as an example, saying, "I wanted to go back and make everything better. The Covenant sniper is one of my favorite weapons - it just feels so powerful. I wanted to emphasize that in the new version, so we're adding some detail that will really show off the building energy in the weapon."
I can't think of anything funny to put here

Summary:
  • We'll see a new enemy type. It's bigger than a Grunt
  • The AI should be massively improved. Even the merest Grunts should pose a threat now.
  • New weapons. No mention whether they'll be human or Covenant. Halo 3'll also have remastered versions of old weapons. Details should be immense.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 11:43 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 10:43 PM #7 of 10
This thread is pointless. Can we unsticky it already.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 07:41 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 01:41 PM #8 of 10
Yeah, good call.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 02:30 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 01:30 PM #9 of 10
You should just post imporessions. Give us information on what's been altered as far as gameplay and weapon balance is concerned, since we all know about the new features already.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Halo 3 update information thread