Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Elephant Man

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:42 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 11:42 PM #1 of 1
The Elephant Man

First, here's some links to get familiar with the topic/movie (warning, grotesque appearance, so make sure you have a strong stomach before viewing the first link). Also, the poster for the movie seems a little creepy, but don't let it give you the wrong idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Merrick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ele...Man_%28film%29

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080678/

This movie is about John (Joseph) Merrick (played by John Hurt, the guy in Alien that gets a chestburster to come out of him), an Englishman living in London in the late 1800's. He's got a severe disease which gives him a really grotesque appearance. However, a doctor named Frederick Treves (played by Anthony Hopkins, most famously known as "Hannibal Lecter") sees him, and offers to help take care of him (the real Treves mentions him as John in his journal for some reason, hence that name earlier).

As you watch, you'll probably agree that Merrick is probably more "human" than some of the people in this movie, once you get past his physical deformities, and begin to "see" his character.

The ending was also heartbreakingly sad. They used "Adagio for Strings" (I think the first movie to use it), one of the saddest pieces of music I have ever listened to, and with the events happening in the final scene, I couldn't help but cry a little bit (you might shed a tear or two as well after seeing this movie).

Interestingly, Mel Brooks was an executive producer, but he kept his name off so people don't get the wrong idea that it's not supposed to be a satire comedy film, like just about all his other movies. John Hurt, after seeing a large picture of the real Joseph Merrick also said (in a DVD commentary) that he offered to do the role for free as well, if that tells you anything about the impact a script had on an actor (most actors/actresses nowadays won't even look at a script until they get paid first to look at it). Sucks it didn't win any awards, but it was nominated for 8 of them at least (it's #105 in IMDB's top 250 movies list though).

I'm sure some of you are "tougher", and probably won't give a crap about this movie, but for the rest of us who are still "human", I think it'll probably be one of the best movies you have ever seen (or at least will probably be one of the most memorable).

Have any of you ever seen people in real life with deformities that make them stand out? I've felt like Merrick before, which is why I could really relate to him. And after watching this film, I probably won't "judge" people with physical deformities (well, "judge" in the sense that I won't give them long, awkward stares like people did in this movie, anymore).

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Elephant Man