Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The cell phone's progress in killing us all

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:35 PM #1 of 37
The cell phone's progress in killing us all

Quote:
Chat on cell phone, become infertile?

Between September 2004 and October 2005, a total of 364 males were evaluated by researchers from Cleveland Clinic, the Tulane University Health Sciences Center, and the Karthekeya Medical Research and Diagnostic Center in Mumbai. The study found that men who use their mobile devices for more than four hours per day were far more likely to have problems with sperm viability that could lead to infertility problems.
Quote:
Study links cell phones, tumors

According to the report--based on a survey of about 150 people already diagnosed with acoustic neuroma and 600 healthy individuals--the risk of developing the tumors almost doubled for those who began using a cell phone at least 10 years beforehand. In addition, the Karolinska Institutet study contends that when the side of the head a person typically held their cell phone against was taken into consideration, the risk of acoustic neuroma was almost four times higher than normal.
Quote:
Researchers link cell phones to eye cancer

Research by the team at the University of Essen in Germany found that people who regularly use a mobile phone are three times more likely to develop cancer of the eye.

The scientists examined 118 patients who each suffered from uveal melanoma--a cancer that grows in the iris and base of the retina of the eye. They compared the history of mobile phone use of this group with the history of a control group of 475 people
Quote:
Report: Cell phone explodes in trousers

Last Thursday, a supermarket employee in the Netherlands burned his legs when a Nokia handheld exploded in his pants pocket.
I have to ask: Is this all just blown up propaganda or a real concern?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 02:44 PM #2 of 37
Quote:
Last Thursday, a supermarket employee in the Netherlands burned his legs when a Nokia handheld exploded in his pants pocket.
Is that your Nokia or are you just happy to see me?

I'm a firm believer that Wireless frequencies cause cancer. I have no actual proof, but the number of studies with half-assed conclusive evidence is enough for me. I don't use wireless internet, and I have a cellphone that I rarely use, due to the fear of cancer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 02:55 PM #3 of 37
Everything causes cancer, but cell phones are getting out of control in other ways.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 10:55 PM #4 of 37
The exploding nokia was likely due to the Li-ion battery. All batteries can do it, though it's incredibly rare (unless you're sony).

I use and carry my phone around with me daily. It might well slightly influence cancer, but so does probably tons of other stuff I come into contact with daily.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 05:31 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 04:31 PM #5 of 37
I can guarantee you, your cell phone is causing less damage in both the short and long run, than the flourescent lights above your head, the radiation from your microwave oven and your oversized television sets and computer monitors, among other things.

(Can't guarantee, but it seems likely to me after comparing how crappy I feel having sat immobile and talking on a cell phone for 6 hours, to how crappy I feel having sat immobile and staring at a television screen for 6 hours, or sitting at work for 8. And it ain't just my eyes.)

Most amazing jew boots
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 08:18 PM #6 of 37
I hate cellphones with a passion, mayby the guy who made up the 'cellphones cause tumors' headline does too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:02 PM #7 of 37
Honestly, who would use their phones more than 4 hours a day? I don't even think your average chatterbox teen girl demographic talks for that long every day. Plus, for all these articles, the sample sizes seem rather small to be jumping to conclusions.

FELIPE NO
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:08 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 07:08 PM #8 of 37
Originally Posted by Matt
I have to ask: Is this all just blown up propaganda or a real concern?
EVERYBODY PANIC

Originally Posted by Render
I'm a firm believer that Wireless frequencies cause cancer. I have no actual proof, but the number of studies with half-assed conclusive evidence is enough for me. I don't use wireless internet, and I have a cellphone that I rarely use, due to the fear of cancer.
Also lol.

Why would you possibly choose to live your life in this kind of fear? Can't use a cellphone because you may get cancer? What about all the other waves from everyone else's cellphones, television, satellite, wi-fi, microwaves, transmitters, and Sirius radio that are coursing through your body right now? Better line your house with lead!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 07:06 PM #9 of 37
Originally Posted by acid
Better line your house with lead!
Better yet, line it with asbestos.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:14 PM #10 of 37
Quote:
EVERYBODY PANIC
Cell phones emit microwaves; and prior to the above reports, effects of their use had not been determined to cause any health problems. Now there are scientific studies coming out citing health risks (such as infertility and cancer). Hence why I posed the question in the first post about what you all thought.

Most amazing jew boots
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 08:15 PM #11 of 37
And he told you to PANIC. Why are you still here?

MUST NOT SLEEP.
MUST WARN OTHERS.

MUST NOT SLEEP.
MUST WARN OTHERS.

MUST NOT SLEEP.
MUST WARN OTHERS.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:37 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 10:37 PM #12 of 37
Well now really, would you rather Firestone not have to recall their tires because "Hey, it's not like it's widespread yet or anything"?

DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:58 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 08:58 PM #13 of 37
WOAH...

I wouldn't want my cell phone to explode in my pocket~
I better start wearing 3 pairs of boxers for protection since my
phone is always in my right pocket *_*'''

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:20 AM #14 of 37
I believe only PICARDGONK can solve this mystery!

TO THE GONKMOBILE

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 10:56 PM #15 of 37
Originally Posted by Render

Fuck. Might as well stay indoors because you could catch cancer from the deadly sun's rays. Well if you stay indoors you might accidently slip and fall in the shower, maybe paralyzing you or killing you. Or you might cut yourself deeply with a butter knife while making a sandwhich.

Just kill yourself if you fear so much.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by DjMeas
WOAH...

I wouldn't want my cell phone to explode in my pocket~
I better start wearing 3 pairs of boxers for protection since my
phone is always in my right pocket *_*'''

Note: You have a 45% greater chance of it exploding in your right pocket than left.

You might want to switch pockets.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by guyinrubbersuit; Oct 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:19 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 11:19 PM #16 of 37
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Fuck. Might as well stay indoors because you could catch cancer from the deadly sun's rays. Well if you stay indoors you might accidently slip and fall in the shower, maybe paralyzing you or killing you. Or you might cut yourself deeply with a butter knife while making a sandwhich.
Or maybe you'll have an aneurysm and die. Best case scenario, of course.

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:39 AM #17 of 37
Quote:
Between September 2004 and October 2005, a total of 364 males were evaluated by researchers from Cleveland Clinic, the Tulane University Health Sciences Center, and the Karthekeya Medical Research and Diagnostic Center in Mumbai. The study found that men who use their mobile devices for more than four hours per day were far more likely to have problems with sperm viability that could lead to infertility problems.
Okay, wait...since sperm production is "below the belt" so to speak, are they somehow magically speaking with the organ in their pants? And is this how the phone blows up?

How ya doing, buddy?
ruixiong89
clairvoyance

Member 8166

Level 3.31

Jun 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:47 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 02:47 PM #18 of 37
All I can say is that correlation doesn't guarantee causality. The risks of these people developing cancers could very well be due to radiation coming elsewhere. But I'm not saying that there's no risk involved.

Of course, it's always better to get fresh air and stay healthy rather than stick to your electronic gadgets all the time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:50 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 04:50 AM #19 of 37
Doesn't everything these days cause cancer? Or did I miss a memo?

I've also heard that cellphones mess with sperm counts. HOW DARE MY CELLPHONE MESS WITH MY MAN ESSENCE!

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:36 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 09:06 AM #20 of 37
Originally Posted by Watts
I've also heard that cellphones mess with sperm counts. HOW DARE MY CELLPHONE MESS WITH MY MAN ESSENCE!
Serve you right for having phone sex... litarly...

but seriouslly, the only thing I think a cellphone can do these days is get you punched in the face from annoying the crap out of people.

mindOverMatter
CLfAM

Member 14418

Level 8.57

Oct 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:03 AM #21 of 37
I don't talk on my phone for more than about 10 min a week, but I carry it around always...I wonder...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hold on just one second....when I signed up for life, this was not what I was expecting. Can I get a refund?
Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:46 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 11:46 AM #22 of 37
Lithium-Ion batteries are always (translation: every once in a while) exploding. Poor Dell had a laptop catch on fire due to the battery, during a showcase. Yeah, they ended up losing quite a bit of money and doing all sorts of recalls just so the public would feel more saferer. "zomg lion batry asplode! MY HEAD ASPLODE!"

If we could make ANY technology work absolutely perfectly all the time, we'd find something else to complain about I'm sure, so I really don't care. If my cell phone explodes, I'll have an awesome story to tell people.

"Hay guys, guess what, my phone asplode!"
"NO WAI"
"YA WAI"
"lollercoaster"

ionuk tomb
Ionuk_Tomb

Member 13311

Level 8.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 01:55 PM #23 of 37
Like my cell biology prof said one time after a student was concerned about cancer causing agents. "Ummm hello?...Big, flaming radioactive ball in the sky?...there's your biggest cancer causing agent! Now leave my class and go destroy that damn sun!"

He also stated that, if you live long enough, there is a 99.9% chance your going to die of cancer. I believe it.

Most amazing jew boots
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:23 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 05:23 PM #24 of 37
I don't believe that cell phones are that bad. First of all, the signals from the cellphones can't even break through the cell walls of your head... can they?

I don't have a cell phone and rarely use one if I borrow one. Something else will probably kill me.... such as my monitor...

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:00 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 06:00 PM #25 of 37
Originally Posted by ionuk tomb
He also stated that, if you live long enough, there is a 99.9% chance your going to die of cancer. I believe it.
I imagine if you manage to not die from anything else, you have a 100% chance of dying from cancer.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > The cell phone's progress in killing us all