Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

tl;dr
Closed Thread

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:10 AM #101 of 147
You and me seem to like the idea of getting the last word in. I WILL DUEL YOU FOR HOURS IF I HAVE TO.

I was speaking idiomatically.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:30 AM #102 of 147
Originally Posted by The Dopefish
You and me seem to like the idea of getting the last word in. I WILL DUEL YOU FOR HOURS IF I HAVE TO.
I am not competing. I am telling you that only you can change the way your life is.

Did your parents not instill this in you?

(Incidentally, I'm off to Vegas about now. So you won't have to worry.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:33 AM #103 of 147
My parents were more concerned about me doing better in school than anything else. I was even less apt to be social in school than I am now (which shouldn't come as a stretch, since I had very little self-esteem up until high school, when I started getting a little more).

FELIPE NO

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:16 PM #104 of 147
Simple, making excuses for your current problems won't help anything. Simply accept your derelict state and do something out of the ordinary.

How ya doing, buddy?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:56 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 07:56 PM #105 of 147
BTW, I'm both surprised and not that no one has asked what "tl;dr" means.
In fact, this is all tl;dr. Can you give a Cliff's Notes version?

Most amazing jew boots
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:26 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:26 PM #106 of 147
Just read this, dopefish.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:53 AM #107 of 147
If you can find a free and online version of that book, I'll read it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:25 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:25 AM #108 of 147
Or go to a library.

So, what are you doing right now to alleviate your situation?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:31 AM #109 of 147
At this very second? Nothing. I'll go to work later, see if Erin got my voicemail and see if she wants to talk about it. Whatever happens, happens. The only thing I'm hopeful about now is trying to save face and salvage some sense of neutrality between us. Otherwise, I'll see if the other person I've been trying to hang out with wants to do so.

I'm thinking I should just suck it up and give up trying to make friends for the time being. If there's only two people that interest me and neither want to hang out then there's nothing I can do about it. No one's coming to me and asking if I'd like to hang out, and they never have...so what does that say about how people see me?

Plarom

I'm too busy being delicious.

Member 216

Level 27.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:57 PM #110 of 147
Good things about me and my life:
  • I'm economically stable. (I live at home, but I could probably live by myself.)
  • I'm happy that I have been able to not drink for as long as I have. The longer I go the prouder I am that I haven't drank, though that may be related to how social I'm not.
  • I'm happy to be atheist and politically independant.
  • I'm happy I'm not an idiot and I want to go to school.
  • I'm happy people like me, even if it's just because I'm nice to everyone.
  • I'm happy I'm not an asshole.
You misunderstood me. I wanted to know what makes you happy to be alive, rather than things in your life that make you happy. Notice the difference?

(I know I posted that like, a bunch of days ago! )

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Observant Provisions | [adult swim]
"Dude, this is gonna.. Man, this is gonna wicked, like, really hurt."
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:58 PM #111 of 147
I don't see a difference.

FELIPE NO

Plarom

I'm too busy being delicious.

Member 216

Level 27.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:13 PM #112 of 147
I don't see a difference.
Therein lies the problem, my friend!

You need to discover some purpose for your life in order to have success within your life.

Most amazing jew boots

Observant Provisions | [adult swim]
"Dude, this is gonna.. Man, this is gonna wicked, like, really hurt."
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:12 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:12 PM #113 of 147
Originally Posted by Plarom
Therein lies the problem, my friend!

You need to discover some purpose for your life in order to have success within your life.
Quoted for truth. Honestly, life is too short to drift.

Look. Find a purpose. I don't care what it is, you might want to really express youself through sculpture, do scientific research, learn to cook very well, whatever. What's important is to define yourself first -- if people like what they see in you, you'll find friends without having to force yourself into their lives. Having a passion for something can be an attractive quality.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:05 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:05 PM #114 of 147
If you can find a free and online version of that book, I'll read it.
If you're not willing to spend $10 to improve your life, you don't deserve it.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:19 PM #115 of 147
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
If you're not willing to spend $10 to own a book that may or may not help you improve your life, you don't deserve it.
Edited for accuracy.

Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:36 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 04:36 AM #116 of 147
Yeah, but, surely something that could very possibly help you out is worth $10???

"HiiiisssssssssSSSSS" - Madagascan Hissing Cockroach
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:39 PM #117 of 147
Since one half of that book is apparently about business and the other half is stuff I'm sure I'm fully capable of (I can talk to people, I'm definitely eloquent, people like me), no, it's not.

(Edit: Hey look! A Table of Contents of shit that already looks pretty much like what I'm capable of doing now! That would be an exploratory adventure in wasting :10bux: right there.)

So, my only problem is I need to find social situations and feel comfortable meeting random strangers.

Last edited by Dopefish; Mar 11, 2006 at 11:43 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:49 PM #118 of 147
Except everything you've been whining about with your life is exactly what he deals with in his book. There's a reason it's still one of the most popular books on Amazon even though he originally wrote it in 1936.

Not to mention if you're not willing to do something unless it'll help you for sure then you'll never get anywhere anyway.

Hell, maybe taking one of his classes would be a great social situation for you to be in.

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:22 AM #119 of 147
Why are you making excuses for not doing anything, dopefish?

I didn't bother to read the thread, but it looks like he's mopey thath e has no friends and never had a girlfriend, but he wants people to seek him out. Is that right?

I don't know. I don't feel any impulse to help you, buddy. You're not very likeable. Why don't you try making some friends or something?

FELIPE NO
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:06 PM #120 of 147
Originally Posted by Minion
You know, I hadn't thought of this till now, but one effective method of reducing anxiety in general, which I know works through first and second hand experience, is by lowering your intake of sugar and caffiene. Try going a day or two avoiding them completely. You will notice that you are much more at ease.
I am going to try this. I probably drink less than 16 oz of water a day, with the rest of my fluids primarly being orange or apple juice, with some sugary grape juice in between. And I eat a lot of sweets. I know it's not healthy, so yea, this is the first step.

When I was little I used to go on this long periods of 'no sugar' when I'd feel that I took in too much. Sometimes going a month without anyway. Stress, depression, etc made it all the more difficult to maintain that habit.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:52 PM #121 of 147
Originally Posted by a lurker
I didn't bother to read the thread, but it looks like he's mopey thath e has no friends and never had a girlfriend, but he wants people to seek him out. Is that right?
I have one friend I've been hanging out with for months, and I seek people out to hang out all the time in the last few weeks. Other than that, yeah, I've never had a girlfriend and prospects haven't been peachy (though they are better than they've ever been).

Double Post:
Well, the ship has sailed for Erin and I to be friends...for the time being. The best excuse she could come up with was my initial foray into getting her attention was a little more aggressive than she was expecting, and she's uncertain where I stand as far as whether I want to be her boyfriend or just a friend. Looks like we're in for a looooooooooong cooldown period. I suppose I messed up by going as quickly as I did, but if Erin wasn't willing to accept that I was willing to accept being a friend, then there's not much I can do about that.

Meanwhile I also discovered today that she was talking about the details of my voicemail to her to someone at work (so now at least one person knows about it). Now the fun begins!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Dopefish; Mar 12, 2006 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:07 AM #122 of 147
I have one friend I've been hanging out with for months, and I seek people out to hang out all the time in the last few weeks. Other than that, yeah, I've never had a girlfriend and prospects haven't been peachy (though they are better than they've ever been).

Double Post:
Well, the ship has sailed for Erin and I to be friends...for the time being. The best excuse she could come up with was my initial foray into getting her attention was a little more aggressive than she was expecting, and she's uncertain where I stand as far as whether I want to be her boyfriend or just a friend. Looks like we're in for a looooooooooong cooldown period. I suppose I messed up by going as quickly as I did, but if Erin wasn't willing to accept that I was willing to accept being a friend, then there's not much I can do about that.
Wow. Are you ever a slow learner. And thick-headed, too!

How many times are you going to ask for advice, ignore it, and then realize that O SHIT, THAT ADVICE WAS PRETTY GOOD.

This entire thread - ENTIRE THREAD - is full of advice. And yet, you're even refusing to read a book that was recommended to you. Because "you know everything" that the book offers advice on. Which would mean that your thread here is bullshit. Oops.

Pick a side. Stick to it.

Incidentally, it was written in 1936, RR? I think I will have to read this, now. It couldn't help, considering my VERY ANGRY DISPOSITION.
Quote:
Meanwhile I also discovered today that she was talking about the details of my voicemail to her to someone at work (so now at least one person knows about it). Now the fun begins!
Maybe you'll learn after this.

You're a creepy guy. You really should consider the book RR recommended.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:10 AM #123 of 147
That is actually a great book. I have an e-book for it and an audio book. Haven't finished it, though.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:14 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:14 AM #124 of 147
I get all sorts of results for Mr. Carnegie's book on a search of the public library's database here. This is a fairly old book, so it should be in wide circulation, as I see there have been many printings of it. And public libraries are free! Now you really have no excuse.

Tsk, somebody's got it checked out a month overdue...

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:18 AM #125 of 147
Originally Posted by Monkey King
I get all sorts of results for Mr. Carnegie's book on a search of the public library's database here. This is a fairly old book, so it should be in wide circulation, as I see there have been many printings of it. And public libraries are free! Now you really have no excuse.

Tsk, somebody's got it checked out a month overdue...
I am going to predict the excuse: "I have no time to go to the library." or possibly "I have no library card."

I would offer to BUY this book for this kid, just to shut him up about this Erin chick and how GOD AWFUL he is at accepting flaws. But I don't think I will.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > tl;dr