Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Playing PS2 games from a flash drive

Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:14 PM #1 of 5
Playing PS2 games from a flash drive

I recently replaced the fan on my PS2 with something quieter, because the stock fan was way too loud. I loaded Virtua Fighter 4 today to test everything out, and I was disappointed to discover that the DVD drive is also very loud. The only thing that I can think of to bypass the DVD drive is to put my games onto a flash drive, put it in one of the PS2's USB ports, and play from that. I'm wondering if this is possible, though. I doubt it, since I think my PS2 would either have to be modded in some way, or I would have to be using some kind of CD in the drive to be able to boot from a USB port. My PS2 is a SCPH-30001 V4, by the way. So does anyone know if this is possible?

Edit: VF4 is a CD-ROM, and I just tried Monster Rancher 4, which is a DVD-ROM, and it is much quieter. So the drive is loud when reading CDs, but quiet when reading DVDs. Makes sense, I guess, since max DVD read speed is 16x, and max CD read speed is like 52x.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Radical; Jul 6, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:55 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 03:55 PM #2 of 5
So basically your PS2 sucks at reading blue based discs. It's not uncommon.

Why don't you just buy another one? I have a 30001-R myself, and it still runs fine. It also happens with mine as well, but only for burned CD-R games. Original CD-R games run fine. If I play DVD or burned DVD based games, they're fine too.

What I assume you're trying to do is run games from a drive, which usually fits in the expansion bay (from my understanding), so you might want to check out HDAdvance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Elixir; Jul 6, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:08 PM #3 of 5
Buying another one is too expensive for me right now, but thanks for the suggestion. It's weird, the PS2 is notorious for being unreliable, yet both of ours seem to be quite old and still functioning. Either way, I'm less concerned now that I know that it will at least read DVDs quietly.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JumboMaverick
Lonley Driver

Member 1097

Level 10.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:19 PM #4 of 5
Originally Posted by Radical
Buying another one is too expensive for me right now, but thanks for the suggestion. It's weird, the PS2 is notorious for being unreliable, yet both of ours seem to be quite old and still functioning. Either way, I'm less concerned now that I know that it will at least read DVDs quietly.
I have a v4 PS2 and I've subjected it to nearly 5 years of nonstop use, and it reads both types of discs fine. Never had any problems with it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:35 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 11:35 AM #5 of 5
You can install an IDE harddisk and play your game ISOs from HDD with HDLoader. No hard-modding required.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Playing PS2 games from a flash drive