Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:33 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 04:33 AM #76 of 152
Originally Posted by MrSatan
I got a question, as you may know, the evangelion renewal that came in japan was a remaster of the tv series and movies, and it appear as the platinum collection, but the movies are not in the collection, i think that have to do something with manga, that have the rights, anyone knows if the patinum movie editions will appear on america? i want to buy the movies, but i prefer the platinum over the old release.
Probably they won't. Manga are cockblocking, like you suspected. Shame, because I've seen the Renewal version of EoE, and man, the Manga Entertainment version sucks balls by comparison.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:37 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:37 PM #77 of 152
I got a question, as you may know, the evangelion renewal that came in japan was a remaster of the tv series and movies, and it appear as the platinum collection, but the movies are not in the collection, i think that have to do something with manga, that have the rights, anyone knows if the patinum movie editions will appear on america? i want to buy the movies, but i prefer the platinum over the old release.
From what i heard, is the movies where not remasted, just rereleased, so basicly they are exactly the same, there is 5.1 and 6.1 Japanese on the US release. and the animation for the movies was much better than the series(well EoE and Rebirth anyway) and didnt need the cleaning up. I dont think it changed any where made in the movies, to tell you the truth, and i dont believe i saw that Manga is doing anything with it, but who knows, the box that they put of with Death and Rebirth and EoE might be the upgraded versions of the movies. i dont plan on buying the box, untill after i have spend my 150 on the damb box for the planinum collection buying all 7 dvd individually(Damn ADV for trying to cheat me by cutting out all the extras!!!!)

How ya doing, buddy?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:47 PM #78 of 152
They already released those. Perhaps you're looking for the Director's Cut. I got the movies years ago and they're in 5.1

Originally Posted by aku
buying all 7 dvd individually(Damn ADV for trying to cheat me by cutting out all the extras!!!!)
7? I thought its 8. Anyways, they do have a perfect collection out with all the platinum.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:58 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:58 PM #79 of 152
Originally Posted by Lukage
7? I thought its 8. Anyways, they do have a perfect collection out with all the platinum.
Perfect Collection

Run time: 650
Platinum Thin Collection

Run time: 650
all 7 Platinum DVDs indiviualy
Run time: 825 (according to Robert's Anime Corner Store)

Most amazing jew boots
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:02 PM #80 of 152
Ah Eva, my favorite show. The Rei in my user name comes from Rei Ayanami. I am scarily obsessed with her... I can't even imagine how much I've spent on Rei merchandise. Got everything from Rei window blinds to a Unit 00 snowboard.

I guess I can see why people wouldn't like Shinji, but personally I thought he was fine. I know I'd have been in much worse condition had I gone through all that at 14. Cut the kid a little slack.

Series/movie ending:
Spoiler:
I believe they're the same until the very last bit. At the very end of the TV series Shinji accepts Instrumentality. While in the movie he rejects it. up until then though, it's the same thing. In the TV series there's even some quick scenes from the movie. Like Misato dead against the wall, Ritsuko floating in the LCL lake, and Asuka in Unit 02 at the bottom of the lake.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:12 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:12 PM #81 of 152
Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku
Ah Eva, my favorite show. The Rei in my user name comes from Rei Ayanami. I am scarily obsessed with her... I can't even imagine how much I've spent on Rei merchandise. Got everything from Rei window blinds to a Unit 00 snowboard.

I guess I can see why people wouldn't like Shinji, but personally I thought he was fine. I know I'd have been in much worse condition had I gone through all that at 14. Cut the kid a little slack.

Series/movie ending:
Spoiler:
I believe they're the same until the very last bit. At the very end of the TV series Shinji accepts Instrumentality. While in the movie he rejects it. up until then though, it's the same thing. In the TV series there's even some quick scenes from the movie. Like Misato dead against the wall, Ritsuko floating in the LCL lake, and Asuka in Unit 02 at the bottom of the lake.
Spoiler:
OK!...Now, through out the last few episodes shinji goes into a state of, "Can I, Shinji exist outside of being an Eva piolit?" and the scene in ep 26 that shows Shinji being normal(i have to say one of the most brilliant scenes in the show), after this the who thing on stage is him going about saying that there can he CAN existe out side of being an eva piolit, there for finding a since of self in all of the selflessness around him. thus rejecting it, because the reason he wanted all to be one, was because he thought that he couldnt be himself, after he stopped being an eva piolit.
ahhhhhhhhhh! this pains, me, trying to think about it and not having seen it in over a year, but i will be more informed after this week, because i am watching it over again...
oh and fyi, nice to see you again "fan of Rei"

Most amazing jew boots
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:34 PM #82 of 152
You make some good points, and this is why I love Eva. Can look at the same thing and have opposite views.
Spoiler:
The way I saw it Shinji was never given the choice at all. Rei went willingly along with Gendo, unlike in EoE where she turns on him. Therefore Shinji never even had the chance to reject contemplation. Therefore the default is it went through without a hitch. Also the ending of it just doesn't fit with Anno's attempt to tell us what the real world is. A place where we will always feel some pain due to us never truly knowing each other completely. Complemntation was the nullification of that. The way everyone was clapping, and Shinji being so happy, were direct examples of a "perfect" world. As you mentioned Shinji wanted, more than anything, to be praised and loved. It's why he piloted the Eva. He felt it made people love him. At the end everyone is there clapping for him, and he feels wanted. Shinji's perfect world. The complemented one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:03 AM #83 of 152
The one real strength about this show is the music. I just can't stop listening to NGE: Decade, it has some of the best songs and with a few 10th anniversery editions thrown around. My current favorite song is Tamashi no Rufuran, gets the beat just right and has plenty of dramatic tunes. I'd say music plays as much as a role as it did in Cowboy Bebop.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:36 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:36 AM #84 of 152
I've got the Rei Ayanami BED SHEETS!

*creepy*

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 05:20 PM #85 of 152
I've got the Rei Ayanami BED SHEETS!

*creepy*
It's like they're compelling adult men to have a pedophiliac lust for Rei. Think about it, EoE, the many scenes of her in revealing suits. They should have pimped Misato much more than they did.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:24 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 07:24 PM #86 of 152
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
It's like they're compelling adult men to have a pedophiliac lust for Rei. Think about it, EoE, the many scenes of her in revealing suits. They should have pimped Misato much more than they did.
*nod* Misato was the bestest.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:56 PM #87 of 152
I have that image or Rei on a giant pillow. Honestly, Rei isn't a sex object for me at all. I really like her character. Was talking to aku last night about her. She's such a great character to analyze, and I like her personality (yes she has one, you just have to dig for it).

And yes, Misato rocked.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:00 PM #88 of 152
i heard about this a long time ago then i started getting the dvds one by one. Rei Ayanami would be my favorite character in this show. the story had alot of potential. i didn't check out the END of Eva yet( yeah i know.. ) since i heard that everyone pretty much dies. this anime is pretty much on the top list of best anime close to Akira. The music was a strong point in this series.. i also want to check out the platinum dvds since there are extras and im dying to know what it is.

A few characters were alright.

Shinji - definition of angst,lonliness and concern. either way ..i respect the guy for fighting back at anyone even if he runs away the first time lol.

Toji suzuhara - i only wish him and the eva pilots would fight together =/.

Kaoru Nagisa -
Spoiler:
im glad his head got popped off

Misato - definition of sexy and badass major.

Gendo Ikari - although Rei's my favorite.. Gendo is indeed the best charcter of the anime ,period.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 09:30 PM #89 of 152
How about the greatest joke in the series. Among all that drama, there is actually some comedy.

Spoiler:
Winner is the toothpick joke.

Spoiler:
Second place to the last episode Asuka waking up Shinji:

"I said get up, not get THAT up!"
"Sorry, its a morning thing or something"

Most amazing jew boots
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:35 PM #90 of 152
I liked the series but there were some aspects that did piss me off, once again. Shinji's constant whininess and moaning just pisses me off.
Spoiler:

I mean, even at the fact that people are getting mow'd down because he doesn't get off his ass, he continues to be pissy

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:44 PM #91 of 152
Originally Posted by Furby
I liked the series but there were some aspects that did piss me off, once again. Shinji's constant whininess and moaning just pisses me off.
Spoiler:

I mean, even at the fact that people are getting mow'd down because he doesn't get off his ass, he continues to be pissy
i got this friend who i lent the first dvd to back in freshman year of hs.. he stopped watching the show the first second he saw shinji the whiner lol. i know where you're coming from but hey..shinji is well known and different compare to other anime characters..which is why it makes him unique and different to be all whiney and a wuss. =/

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 10:47 PM #92 of 152
I think the irony lies in the viewer saying "Oh for the love of God KILL YOURSELF!" and the series...basically teasing you about it.

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:52 PM #93 of 152
I don't know. Sure he complained, but did he ever not do his duty? The only time he really wasn't going to was the fight against Zereul, and that, I thought, was very understandable considering what Gendo made him do against Unit 03. Also the beginning of EoE as well, but by then everyone was in mental breakdown mode. So that's no surprise. He always stepped up and did what he needed to do.

So yeah, Shinji didn't like risking his life in a living robot that caused severe mental stressfor a father who showed him no love. I said it before, I doubt anyone at 14 could have done half of what he did and even stayed remotely sane.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:39 PM Local time: Mar 17, 2006, 02:39 AM #94 of 152
I don't know. Sure he complained, but did he ever not do his duty? The only time he really wasn't going to was the fight against Zereul, and that, I thought, was very understandable considering what Gendo made him do against Unit 03. Also the beginning of EoE as well, but by then everyone was in mental breakdown mode. So that's no surprise. He always stepped up and did what he needed to do.

So yeah, Shinji didn't like risking his life in a living robot that caused severe mental stressfor a father who showed him no love. I said it before, I doubt anyone at 14 could have done half of what he did and even stayed remotely sane.
After reading your post and thinking about it, Shinji did show a rather large amount of courage to press on even with his non-affectionate father being his boss. Put together with the introduction of the other pilots, friends at school and of couse, Pen-Pen, (that little bird sure knows how to live) he built up his social skills at a quick pace through the series.

The film, which I hadn't been able to watch until a good few years later after finishing the series was both a suprise and a great action film. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the film yet so I won't say anything more about the film.

The series as a hole was good, there were some plot holes which I couldn't figure out until much later after thinking about it and reading other people's views and opinions.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 09:08 PM #95 of 152
Originally Posted by chato
i heard about this a long time ago then i started getting the dvds one by one. Rei Ayanami would be my favorite character in this show. the story had alot of potential. i didn't check out the END of Eva yet( yeah i know.. ) since i heard that everyone pretty much dies. this anime is pretty much on the top list of best anime close to Akira. The music was a strong point in this series.. i also want to check out the platinum dvds since there are extras and im dying to know what it is.

A few characters were alright.

Shinji - definition of angst,lonliness and concern. either way ..i respect the guy for fighting back at anyone even if he runs away the first time lol.

Toji suzuhara - i only wish him and the eva pilots would fight together =/.

Kaoru Nagisa -
Spoiler:
im glad his head got popped off

Misato - definition of sexy and badass major.

Gendo Ikari - although Rei's my favorite.. Gendo is indeed the best charcter of the anime ,period.
I actually liked Kaoru Nagisa's personality. He had an awkward way of reaching out to Shinji, which made Shinji feel loved (and more comically gay). That is of course:
Spoiler:
Until Kaoru decided to reveal his true nature, as an angel. Shinji seemed more hurt by this than any other betrayl (yes he was pissed off when Gendo forced him to destroy Eva Unit 3, but he was much more pissed than upset). I especially like how they played music for about two minutes until Shinji finally decided to kill Kaoru.

FELIPE NO
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:16 PM #96 of 152
Originally Posted by aku
From what i heard, is the movies where not remasted, just rereleased, so basicly they are exactly the same, there is 5.1 and 6.1 Japanese on the US release. and the animation for the movies was much better than the series(well EoE and Rebirth anyway) and didnt need the cleaning up. I dont think it changed any where made in the movies, to tell you the truth, and i dont believe i saw that Manga is doing anything with it, but who knows, the box that they put of with Death and Rebirth and EoE might be the upgraded versions of the movies. i dont plan on buying the box, untill after i have spend my 150 on the damb box for the planinum collection buying all 7 dvd individually(Damn ADV for trying to cheat me by cutting out all the extras!!!!)
tell me about it, i bought the thin pack, i love it, but i really, really want the extras,
anyway thanx for the info, i think ill buy the evangelion 2 pack set from manga!
:biggrin:

Hipstomp
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2313

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:58 AM #97 of 152
Has anyone read the Evangelion manga? I've read the first 8 volumes, but I'm not quite sure how many are there in total. At the moment, I've been trying to find scanlations online, but it seems the only good site I've found has only translated up to volume 8. Does anyone know where I can find the rest of the translations online?

How ya doing, buddy?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:22 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 01:22 PM #98 of 152
EDIT:

I'll just never again comment on manga. I seem to fail at life.

Again

Last edited by Lukage; Mar 24, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:29 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 01:29 PM #99 of 152
I believe that is all that there is. 8 Volumes of the manga, 8 (first box set) DVDs. From what I've heard, they go together and follow one another's storyline quite well.
ummmmmm...not really, ok, there are 9, and 9 ends probly the equivelent in of the series of ep 22? but there is no real equivalent, because
Spoiler:
Kaworushowes up before Asuka loses it, its been ~10 months since i read 9, but i dont think the ep 19-20 thing happend Unit one eating the S2 Enginer or what ever, that are alot of things that are just compeletly diffirent

There arnt near as many angels to this point in the manga as their have been in the series, and
Spoiler:
Shinji HATES Kaworu, and i mean HATES!

OH, and apperently there where recently MORE DONE! Vol 10 is on the way...i hope....

Last edited by aku; Mar 24, 2006 at 01:31 PM.
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:07 PM #100 of 152
tha manga have many changes from the anime?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Neon Genesis Evangelion