Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The US$54 Million Pants

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:52 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 06:52 PM #1 of 15
Talking The US$54 Million Pants

It seems this was a tad too frivolous, even for U.S. standards. Poor Judge Roy Pearson won't be getting compensation for his $67 million (reduced to only $54 million by him out of pity) pair of pants anytime soon.

Two years ago, he took a pair of suit trousers to Custom Cleaners to have them altered for $10.50 (he was getting on the chubby side). Guess what, the Korean owners "willfully and maliciously" mislaid his pants. Three days later, they found it, but it wasn't his, he said. No, he wanted $1,150 for a new suit!

When the Chungs denied his most reasonable request, why, it's court time for those gooks! Gotta show these immigrants who wears the pants in this country, yessirree!

And so, he demanded compensation. Boy, did he want compensation. Compensation he won't be getting anymore, unless he appeals successfully, of course:
  1. Custom Cleaners displayed "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service" signs, which in his experience proved to be so dishonest as bordering on outright fraud (he wasn't satisfied and the pants weren't done in one day). To protect the welfare of Washington D.C. consumers, those suckers have to cough up $1,500 per day per partner per violation. At twelve instances of fraud with three defendants and 1,200 days, well... you're speaking of a cool $64.8 million!
  2. Actual Damages suffered by him, multipled by three - $2,950,020:
    • Loss of his pants resulted in quite a bit of emotional distress, some $500,000 worth of it.
    • He obviously spent a lot of time pursuing the case, and needed $465,390 as just compensation
    • Cost of litigation: $1,500
    • Carless Roy has to rent a car every weekend for the next ten years to drop his remaining pants at another dry cleaner. It added up to some $15,000, not some chump change!
    • Cost of buying a new suit, $1,450.
  3. Punitive damages, computed at $400,000
  4. Attorney's Fees - as an administrative law judge in Washington D.C., he's entitled $390-$425 per hour, which at 1,300 hours working on the case amounted to $542,000 as adequate compensation of his time.
  5. Common law damages, totalling $1,549,500 to deter those customizers from pulling off the same shtick in the future:
    • Fraud damage, $1,500
    • Cost of renting a car for 10 years, $15,000
    • Emotional damages, $500,000
    • Multiply all of the above by three.
Reading: The Verdict | Background Reading | Emotional Day in Court

So, thoughts? Think Judge Judith Bartnoff was too lenient on those Koreans? Was Roy Pearson too greedy? And how does this tale reflect on America's judicial system, especially considering the plaintiff is a judge?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:37 AM #2 of 15
In this case, the main problem was that Mr. Pearson knew the nuances of the Washington, DC judicial system, and he used that to his advantage. The previous judge on the case tried to dismiss the claims, but found that some of them could not be dropped (the judge did prevent Mr. Pearson from turning it into a class-action lawsuit). Mr. Pearson was representing himself, so he had no attorney fees to pay. The trial judge in this case gave Mr. Pearson plenty of rope to hang himself during the trial, and he did just that. My favorite part was when he broke down in tears on the stand.

From what I've read about the case since it ended, things are going to backfire on Mr. Pearson in a major way. In addition to losing his claim and having to pay court costs for the Chungs, the judge is considering making him pay their attorney fees as well. Also, Mr. Pearson is an appointed judge with a limited term. The DC city council and the mayor are working to remove him from office based on his conduct (and he'll probably sue the city).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:00 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 07:00 AM #3 of 15
I think Pearson deserves whatever backlash from this he gets (and if he gets disbarred all the better). He's nothing more than a slimy con man disguised as a judicial figure and the fact that this case got as far as it did due in part to his finagling is nothing short of disgraceful and asinine.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:02 AM #4 of 15
I just hope he gets disbarred for gross incompetence.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:49 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 11:49 PM #5 of 15
I hope he gets barred from wearing pants for the rest of his life.

By the way, this man is an excellent troll.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:20 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 09:20 AM #6 of 15
I hope he gets barred from wearing pants for the rest of his life.

By the way, this man is an excellent troll.
Blah's a fan of big black cocks?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:26 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 01:26 PM #7 of 15
I had read elsewhere that he's in an elected position, so local politicians are doing whatever they can to make him lose his spot ASAP since I'm sure otherwise their opponents will try to link them to this lol judge.

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:59 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 02:59 PM #8 of 15
I think Pearson deserves whatever backlash from this he gets (and if he gets disbarred all the better). He's nothing more than a slimy con man disguised as a judicial figure and the fact that this case got as far as it did due in part to his finagling is nothing short of disgraceful and asinine.
Can't put it much better than this. I remember when this first got reported, I was absolutely disgusted. It really doesn't help the US' image as a being frivolous with its lawsuits when a judge pulls this crap.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:36 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 04:36 PM #9 of 15
I remember seeing on the tv once, a news report about this man who went around sueing companies for the stupidest little things. Apparently, one time he sued an airline company because he didn't feel that the stewardess was kind enough to him. Reading through this article instantly made me think of that. This Pearson guy seriously needs to take a chill pill. Obviously he's just trying to be an ass.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:37 PM #10 of 15
Forget the poor sods who got sued in this case. Can you imagine being one of the guys this asshole works with? He already said he owns five pairs of suits, one for each day of the week, and you know he means it.

I would pay good money for war stories from his staff.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 03:03 PM #11 of 15
It looks like the nut will finally lose his job.

Originally Posted by Washington Post
By the middle of next week, Roy Pearson, the D.C. administrative law judge who sued his neighborhood dry cleaners for $54 million and lost, will receive a letter that starts the process of putting him out of a job.
Quote:
The commission is expected to address the Chung case specifically in its letter to Pearson, pointing out that his no-holds-barred pursuit of mega-millions in a case stemming from a $10.50 alteration on a pair of suit pants raises serious questions about his judicial temperment and raises public questions about judicial ethics and standards. Following receipt of the letter, Pearson would then have the right to a hearing before the commission. Only after that hearing would the commission formally move to end Pearson's tenure as a judge. Pearson has not been sitting as a judge since the end of April, when his first term on the bench expired. Rather, he is now technically considered an "attorney advisor" to the Office of Administrative Hearings. Asked what Pearson does in that position, a high-ranking city official said, "Zippo."
My favorite part:
Quote:
After [Tyrone] Butler [Chief Administrative Law Judge] came back with a pro-Pearson letter, Pearson sent a series of emails within the ALJ staff disparaging the chief judge, calling him "evil" and mean-spirited. That helped sway Butler to switch yet again, to a recommendation against reappointment.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Aug 2, 2007, 03:37 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 03:37 PM 1 #12 of 15
This is good. A legal shlock who is willing to abuse the court system to save his ego and line his pockets with undeserved money, doesn't deserve to have a job. (same goes with that asshole attorney in the Duke lacrosse "rapes". Jesus, whats with these assholes?)

Good thing they are both in the process of being disbarred.

I remember being infuriated when I'd learned that Pearson actually won this farce of a case. And as a slap in the face, he "reduced" the award to $54 million. The immigrant workers had NO defense against this guy other than to rely on the system to right these wrongs. I am glad that it didn't fail them, in the end. I am also glad that this guy got his come uppance.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 03:43 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 02:43 PM #13 of 15
Like I said - normally I'd never wish someone to lose their source of income but this guy is a douche of the utmost caliber and deserves whatever he gets. I think it sucks though that the Chungs will be the real losers in this having to deal with the constant repercussions and court fees of a bonkers power hungry nut.

How ya doing, buddy?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 07:32 PM #14 of 15
The article does say that the Chungs have gotten around $50,000 in donations to their legal funds, which just about covers their court costs for the initial round of the case. Unfortunately, that does nothing for the appeal that Pearson plans to file (now that he's going to have lots of free time).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > The US$54 Million Pants