Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Anybody here listen Electronica? (Trance etc)

xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:51 PM #26 of 38
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
More liek Candle Tree's FTP amirite? I'll check it out when I can.

Infected Mushroom and Massive Attack are good shit too. IM is Goa and MA is... well I'm not entirely sure. I do like how one of thier songs was used as the 'theme' song for House.

Also, I still never got an answer to my question: Artists to check out based on that I like Boards of Canada & Amon Tobin, and Massive Attack as well?
Not sure if they were mentioned before but you can check out:

Ratatat
Squarepusher(Thomas Jenkinson)
Stars of the lid
Photek

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elcee
Self Imposed Bannishment

Member 1350

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:49 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:49 PM #27 of 38
My ex was a raver. Now I'm scarred for life by the mixes she made me. I cringe at Electronic Music of any form. But deep down, I find it to be one of the coolest things ever.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:52 PM #28 of 38
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
If you like Massive Attack, definitely try Portishead, Lamb, and Tricky. I guess Morcheeba too, but I've never heard them.
Going off of this quote, if you do try Morcheeba, I'd check out their first couple albums (Who Can You Trust?, Big Calm) before looking into their newer stuff - they seem to get lighter and in some cases poppier as you move through their discography. Not that I personally mind, but y'know.

I also haven't heard anything past Charango, so I don't know what their new vocalist(s) bring to the table.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:16 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 09:16 PM #29 of 38
Electronica really is the most ridiculously all-encompasing genre definition there is. To say you "Like electronica" is as non-commital as saying you like music played on real instruments.

I honestly don't see how someone can be an "Electronica" fan. I'm a massive fan of drum n bass, proper techno, early rave ('Sup Gaara?), hardcore, ambient, trance, older Euro-house and acid jazz but I hate garage, house, speed garage, pop-dance and so on and those are pretty fucking loose definitions themselves.

Genre definitions are by their very nature subjective though. If I'm in the pub chatting to a mate about techno, I imagine the conversation would be completely different to if two Americans were having a conversation on the same topic.

As such, I would say my favourite artists are as follows. Feel free to categorise them as you wish:

Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, The Orb, Orbital, Adam Freeland, Bad Company, Andy C, Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Raja Ram (Yeah, I know they're the same people), The Prodigy, Two Bad Mice, Technohead, Rotterdam Terror Corps, Highlander.

Fuck it, the list would be endless. Those who know me know what I like.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:54 PM #30 of 38
Originally Posted by the quiet fox
Going off of this quote, if you do try Morcheeba, I'd check out their first couple albums (Who Can You Trust?, Big Calm) before looking into their newer stuff - they seem to get lighter and in some cases poppier as you move through their discography. Not that I personally mind, but y'know.

I also haven't heard anything past Charango, so I don't know what their new vocalist(s) bring to the table.
Cool... Would you or someone else happen to have a link to where I could get those 'older' albums?

Originally Posted by xSummonerYUnax
Not sure if they were mentioned before but you can check out:

Ratatat
Squarepusher(Thomas Jenkinson)
Stars of the lid
Photek
Oh, Thanks for the recommendations. I'll get around to looking these up sometime this week hopefully... or whenever I get the chance

On the otherside of the table, I've enjoyed music from System F, and Mark Van Dale, and some fast techno from a "Club EXIT NYC", but I haven't found much of the last two =\

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 03:03 PM #31 of 38
I hate the term "electronica." But I'm a fan of progressive stuff, as well as trance, breakbeat, house, and dance.

My top 2 artists are Hybrid and BT. <3 Finished Symphony. Best. Song. Ever.

My other favoite electronic artists/DJs are The Chemical Brothers, DJ Tiësto, Armin van Buuren, Blue Man Group, Paul Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk, Depeche Mode, LCD Soundsystem, Way Out West, Sasha, The Crystal Method, Orbital, Moby, The Orb, Fatboy Slim, Basement Jaxx, Darude, DJ Sammy, ...

I have the complete discographies of all the aforementioned, plus thousands of thousands more.

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Faust 72
Blue Fedora, Orange Socks!!

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:12 PM #32 of 38
Does the term "Electroclash" counts as a genre? Does Soulwax, Alter Ego, Hot Chip, Cutcopy, Fischerspooner, LCD Soundsystem, M83, Mount Sims, etc.. is part of the genre?

Well those are some of my favorites electronica if that's what you call it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:58 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:58 AM #33 of 38
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Oh, Thanks for the recommendations. I'll get around to looking these up sometime this week hopefully... or whenever I get the chance

On the otherside of the table, I've enjoyed music from System F, and Mark Van Dale, and some fast techno from a "Club EXIT NYC", but I haven't found much of the last two =\
Of those recommendations, you may be a little surprised by Squarepusher. Sure, some of his tunes are similar to Boards of Canada etc, but only about 10% of them. Squarepusher is primarily a drum n bass dj. He has heavy jazz influences and most of his stuff is slightly odd and quite an acquired taste. I'd recommend his album "Hard Normal Daddy" as a good starting point as of all his stuff it has the most actual tunes on (As opposed to collections of sound effects and synchopated drum loops).

Also, photek is a drum n bass dj but I understand he peddles weak house shit in the US coz you guys haven't really got the hang of proper dance music yet.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Angel
SaturnJune

Member 1633

Level 5.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:15 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:15 PM #34 of 38
Things I usually listen to: Stéphane Pompougnac, Amon Tobin , Moby, Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Laurent Garnier, Coldcut,...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:52 PM #35 of 38
Originally Posted by Shin
Of those recommendations, you may be a little surprised by Squarepusher. Sure, some of his tunes are similar to Boards of Canada etc, but only about 10% of them. Squarepusher is primarily a drum n bass dj. He has heavy jazz influences and most of his stuff is slightly odd and quite an acquired taste. I'd recommend his album "Hard Normal Daddy" as a good starting point as of all his stuff it has the most actual tunes on (As opposed to collections of sound effects and synchopated drum loops).

Also, photek is a drum n bass dj but I understand he peddles weak house shit in the US coz you guys haven't really got the hang of proper dance music yet.

Yep. What do we know? We just like to have fun.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Anybody here listen Electronica? (Trance etc)