Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] The GFF Game Club [Now Playing: Max Payne] Now with less spoiler tags

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:13 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 02:13 PM #101 of 235
I think I'll give this one a miss, I've never been a big fan of platformy adventure type games at the best of times so buying another one I'm unlikely to enjoy seems a bit silly. Having forced myself to play Ico for slightly longer than I could be arsed, I don't think subjecting myself to another game from my "Don't like" category would prove anything.

Here's hoping you pick something fun next time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:17 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 03:17 PM #102 of 235
(there's no platforming in Beyond Good & Evil, although I get your point)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:31 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 02:31 PM #103 of 235
(Maybe the developers should have told the publishers that, seeing as how the official press release on the three shopping sites I looked at describe it as a platform action game)

(Edit: I take that back, it was all the reviews that called it a platformer)

FELIPE NO
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:33 AM #104 of 235
(There's platforming like there is in 3-d zelda games... you don't have a jump button, you just run towards an edge and jump across or climb up by holding the stick towards a climbable series of bigstairs or crates.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:55 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 02:55 PM #105 of 235
(Oh ok, I didn't like the 3d Zelda games one bit)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:39 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 08:39 AM #106 of 235
Me agreeing with Shin on 3D Zelda might be why I felt BG&E to be so lackluster.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:55 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 11:55 AM #107 of 235
... BG&E ... lackluster.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK We aren't science buddies anymore!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

tehwalrus
Wark!

Member 35344

Level 1.00

Feb 2010

Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:51 PM #108 of 235
I'm totally joining up - I need reasons to play things in my backlog, I really have no gaming willpower. Too bad I missed out on Ico, but I lost my copy of it anyhow so this way I won't be wasting money buying it again. BG+E, wooo!

my Backloggery

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:00 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 04:00 PM #109 of 235
I think I'll give this one a miss, I've never been a big fan of platformy adventure type games at the best of times so buying another one I'm unlikely to enjoy seems a bit silly. Having forced myself to play Ico for slightly longer than I could be arsed, I don't think subjecting myself to another game from my "Don't like" category would prove anything.

Here's hoping you pick something fun next time.
If it helps, I didn't like Ocarina of Time as much as everyone else seemed to at the time, but I still love BG&E. It's got a meditative quality about it that I find fascinating. I spent a lot of my time just looking for animals to photograph and objects to collect rather than doing the missions.

Course, the soundtrack is a big part of why I love it as well, I think. Enhances the mood so well.

Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:56 AM #110 of 235
Started playing BG&E last night via steam download. The 2d text and pictures are glitchy as fuck. I also had to turn off anti-aliasing because that apparently causes issues as well. Anyway besides some rather annoying graphical defects due to settings the game is pretty good so far.

Spoiler:
just got into IRIS down at da cloooob

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:24 AM Local time: Feb 13, 2010, 07:24 AM 1 #111 of 235
For anyone running BG&E on PC, and that's having the glitchy graphics problems, try disabling "HW Vertex Processing" in the advanced options.

Also, for anyone that's like me and needs a joypad for a third person adventure game, try out Joy2Key as a keyboard emulator for your joystick. You might have to mess with the joystick threshold under the "Others" tab so that you're not twitching around all over the place, but it works well for what it is.

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:55 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2010, 10:55 PM #112 of 235
So this
YouTube Video
pops up on my misc games rss feed from demonoid, and I think "hey, cool, there is a game about BONE."

How wrong I was, friends. I vote we play this next month. It's a pc game. RR can't get mad because he doesn't have the console. It looks engaging, and frankly it has to be better than Army of Two.

Make it happen.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:00 AM #113 of 235
Featuring
Ron Jeremy

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:37 PM #114 of 235
"hey, cool, there is a game about BONE."
... there IS a game about BONE.

Telltale put it out.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:24 PM #115 of 235
2 games in fact.

Oh and thanks bunches, Skex, on your tip. All the glitches are gone now in BG&E. Started playing it at 1 AM to test that out like a dumbass. Looked at the clock and it was 6 AM. Game is good.

Spoiler:
gotta go race to get into the slaughterhouse now~

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:24 PM #116 of 235
Just to warn you: slaughterhouse race music is fucking awesome.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:30 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2010, 06:30 PM #117 of 235
I didn't make my post about ICO, as I've hit a bit of writers block. But here goes at least some of it.

Experiencing this game for a second time is actually kind of interesting. I never replayed it after the first time I went through it until this club. I often replay things, but this just wasn't one of them.

So going through it again proved one thing to me. It showed that a vast majority of the experience is defined by the exploration and the wandering about. The leading the helpless lady through the castle that you yourself know nothing about. Worrying about the combat situations and all.

Second time through this is all moot, as you'll remember most of it. It's not a hard game, so the challenges and sense of overcoming a sequence of tricky bits is not entirely present. And knowing is apparently more than half the battle, here.

It's still very good, it just lacks that spark the subsequent time through that made it as interesting the first time. I guess this could be said about a lot of things you go through a second time, but in many of those cases the title doesn't lose *that* much of it's core being during any second plays.

I still adore it, and it's still awesome as fuck, but it feels significantly more hollow than I was expecting it to than when I booted it up again. Unexpected, but I appreciate playing it again. Reminds me of all the awesome that it is.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Feb 15, 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: sentence structure was off, read kinda funny.
Ronz
Good Chocobo

Member 240

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:01 PM #118 of 235
Spoiler:
I saw this thread yesterday and remembered that I had purchased BG&E during the Steam holiday bonanzafest and figured I should give it a shot. Started it up last night and so far my feeling are mixed. I got up to what I figured was the first boss (the giant lizard type thing that pops up out of the holes) so i'm not that far in yet, and it feels to me as if the game started way too fast. You go from sitting there meditating to HOLY SHIT ALIEN ATTACK and then FUCK BROS WE OUTTA CASH and then OH BTW CAN YOU TAKE PICTURES OF EVERY ANIMAL ON THE PLANET BRAH and it's just all over the place without much real connection.

I'm not saying that I hate it or i'm giving up on it, I just think it's a little disorganized and all over the place in the beginning and it left me somewhat confused.

How ya doing, buddy?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:47 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2010, 11:47 PM #119 of 235
I started a few days ago.

Spoiler:
I'm not that keen on cute anthropomorphic animals as characters, in general. I give Ratchet & Clank a pass because cats and creatures similar to cats are an exception to many rules. Including such characters in a game is a sure-fire way to make me cautious about it. That said, BG&E doesn't seem to suffer too much from their inclusion. The pig sidekick isn't particularly engaging for me, but he also isn't bothering me much. On the whole, the setting does feel like it is trying excessively hard to be cute, and the best I can say is that I don't mind too much.

Thing is, the 3D platform-action genre is probably my favourite. I love the 3D Zelda and Mario games, I love Ratchet and Clank, I love anything that exhibits a degree of similarity to them. So... regardless of the slightly questionable setting, BG&E gets a massive boost for me just by nature of the mechanics. It is a lot of fun so far, it controls reasonably well and the levels are designed nicely. I had fun in the hovercraft battle, I'm having fun with the platforming. The only thing that really is bothering me so far is that sometimes the camera just won't seem to do what I need.

So... I can't really say much more than that. The setting isn't doing much for me, the story hasn't really opened up yet, but the mechanics are bundles of fun and I'm enjoying it.

FELIPE NO
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:19 PM #120 of 235
Just finished the game.

Spoiler:
So uh Jade is a Domz god or something and has mysterious healing powers. Jade opens eyes after IRIS comes in for the rescue or something while glowing in a room full of blue orb people. Roll credits. Uncle Pig is on a balcony when suddenly OH GOD MY HAND. The End.

Good game but the ending was kind of a little sudden. It wasn't terrible buuuuttt... it's pretty obvious they were going for a follow up sequel which even though we all saw a recent trailer for probably won't be happening because Ubisoft is more interested in making Rabbids games. Edit: Just looked and it seems the game is still in developed and not canceled as rumored. [~]

I played the game on a PC with a keyboard/mouse and it worked pretty well. The final boss was kind of a pain in the ass with switching from fps to reverse keyboard but I got it eventually and it wasn't like I didn't have a million purple berry things if I fucked up too much. The game was a grab bag of vehicle and stealth missions toward the end. The Domz soldiers became a real pain in the ass towards the end. While some of the puzzles were interesting the slaughterhouse was certainly the worst part of the game. There is a thing as too much forced stealth.

I didn't think I would have as much fun taking pictures of animals as I did. Unexpected. It's a shame towards the end they seemed to have forgotten that aspect. The first two areas therefore were my favorite parts of the game due to animal abundance.
I'd give it a 7 or 8 out 10.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by FatsDomino; Feb 20, 2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: clarification on bg&e 2's status
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:26 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2010, 09:26 AM #121 of 235
If it's not too late for this, I'd like to join and discuss some game with you guys. I don't know if I'm gonna have the time to finish Beyond Good and Evil this week again but I'm gonna try~

Here's my backloggery.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:09 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2010, 06:09 PM #122 of 235
More the merrier Ence, I'll get you added to the list on the front.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:43 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2010, 08:43 PM #123 of 235
I just finished this up, though I'll save thoughts for tomorrow since that's when we lift the spoiler requirement.

Since this game's time is very nearly at an end we'll be starting to think about the next game, so anyone have any suggestions they'd like to throw into the ring? If so, speak now.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:59 AM #124 of 235
I'm pretty much done too. I've just the final boss to beat and then I'm good. I'll wait till tomorrow too, though cause... well, spoilers. You know.

Most amazing jew boots
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:07 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2010, 04:07 PM #125 of 235
Actually Sousuke the discussion is now open, no need for spoiler tags any more. I'll put my thoughts together into some sort of coherent block and post them a bit later (a bit wrapped up in Heavy Rain right now), but feel free to go ahead and start discussing the game.

How did people get on? Did anyone start and not finish it? Anyone consider starting and not bother?

Again, how do people feel about the amount of time we left? Any thoughts or input so we can keep refining the process much appreciated. And as ever feel free to lob some suggestions our way, though ideas for shorter titles definitely appreciated this time around as March is looking pretty crazy on the release front.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] The GFF Game Club [Now Playing: Max Payne] Now with less spoiler tags