Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] The "I too liked Xenogears' second disc" Club

PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:01 PM #1 of 78
The "I too liked Xenogears' second disc" Club

So Squeenix's Nomura mentions working on a highly anticipated and personally-requested, unannounced game, that he expects will yield a huge reaction from fans. He could very well be blowing smoke up our asses and hyping/hawking some craptastic spin-off money-maker, or it could genuinely be a game that fans want.

Some people are guessing KHIII, but it's kind of a given that this game will be eventually released, so personal requests for it seem kinda pointless.

Assuming it's not something way outta left-field, I'm gonna say it's a VII remake. Sure FFVII isn't the most amazing game ever, but it was damn fun, and we all know the demand for a remake is there. The graphics also haven't aged as well as the sprite, 2-D FF's so it could definitely use a visual overhaul.

LINK
another one

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:12 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2009, 04:12 PM 2 #2 of 78
We hear this every year.

I'll pay attention again when it is official.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:19 PM #3 of 78
True, but I just feel that with all these rumors getting reignited over and over, and this latest announcement being made, it all has to culminate into the game being remade. A fuckton of fans want it, they want to make money, something's gotta give.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:21 PM 1 #4 of 78
zomg but... but...

FF7 PS3 tech Demo!!!

yawn.

People will get up in arms about it being FF7 and then it'll be some game like a billionth remake of Final Fantasy 1, this time on PS3.

Personally, I'd much rather see 6 remade (whether on PS3, DS, or what have you) Hopefully it won't be as fucking insanely brutal as FFIV was on DS.

Most amazing jew boots

PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:30 PM #5 of 78
FFVI would definitely be nice. Seeing all those characters and the world in full-fledged HD current gen graphics, the soundtrack remade...it would be pretty amazing. As I said before though, aesthetically, VII could use the upgrade way more than VI. VI's sprites look cute and charming. VII's blocky graphics, while nostalgic, look like a mess.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:56 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2009, 04:56 PM 3 #6 of 78
One of these days, nerds will quit getting lubricated over the thought of a FFVII remake/sequel. It will be a good day.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:06 PM #7 of 78
FFVI would definitely be nice. Seeing all those characters and the world in full-fledged HD current gen graphics, the soundtrack remade...it would be pretty amazing. As I said before though, aesthetically, VII could use the upgrade way more than VI. VI's sprites look cute and charming. VII's blocky graphics, while nostalgic, look like a mess.

The thing is though, VII pretty much already got a few updates. Not to the direct game in itself, but as way of Dierge of Ceberus, Crisis Core and Advent Children. (Sequels, Prequels, whatever same difference. The universe and characters were updated)

VI pretty much hasn't been touched and the "remake" that was given to us was from a fucking Wonderswan port, if memory serves correct.

FFVII should be remade at some point, yes. But not when people are expecting it. That kind of announcement needs to come out of left field. Like the guy doesn't even hold interviews or anything and then all of the sudden a FF7 remake splash page pops up, or at E3 he doesn't come to the podium and just the video starts playing and he walks out after it finishes with a huge shit-eating-grin on his face.

That is why I'm hoping for a FF6 remake, tbh. No one expects it but yet everyone will love it the same. Plus I feel that VI's story should be expanded as there are some aspects that needed to be looked into further. Relm and Shadow's relationship, more on Terra's parents, etc... (they could only do and hold so much with a SNES cartridge).

Anything with FFVII attached to it will sell. You know this, I know this and Square has always known this. I think that's why it'll be worth saving the remake of VII for a "rainy day".

But it doesn't matter, anytime this speculation comes up, so does FFVII remake and every time it has ended in "disappointment" as it was either a remake of FF1, or some other game. Plus the debates about what it could be and why it should be x or y are endless and only do nothing but cause shitstorms to happen.

Also: agree with russ

How ya doing, buddy?

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:36 PM #8 of 78
I like Final Fantasy VII. I thought it was a decent game. There, I said it.

Do I think it should have a remake? Not yet. However, the last few years Square-Enix has REALLY pushed the FF7 button hard through sequels, prequels, etc. So I'm not really that surprised.

However, as mentioned in this post, what I'd REALLY like to see is a remake of FF6. That was and is my favorite game of all time. Seeing it updated and new content added would be awesome. Or perhaps, for something even more shocking, what about a sequel? The world was left in the World of Ruin. What if some of the cast had to get together to repair the world? Some awesome moments could be:

* Shadow, having survived, reveals who he is to Relm. Shadow finally does what he says he will do in that he "stops running away from it [his responsibility]", and does start over again, living a normal life (the awesome, dramatic moments would be him revealing who he is to Relm, and the obvious tension throughout the game).

* Celes and Locke getting married.

* The revival of General Leo / Terra finding true love through Leo.

* Cyan finally putting the loss of his family to rest (there was only so much closure given to this).

* Terra learning more about her past and [possibly] how she alone will ultimately aid in the revival of the Espers in the world.

Obviously, some of those aren't as "obvious" as others. I could see some potential back story to the game to make things interesting. Figaro could be seen the main kingdom of the world and hence responsible for fixing the world. With magic gone though, this is seen as more difficult. This results in Edgar, who has used machinery, to work hard to use technology to replace what was lost when magic disappeared. However, Sabin feels that one can channel such power from within as well as use various techniques to emulate most (but not all) of what was done when they had magic. This results in a clash between the two brothers, resulting in a division of North and South Figaro. There is no civil war, but there is constant tension between the two nations and the two brothers.

This could lead to another big part of the game where the two brothers reconcile and the Figaro's unify. They could even design the game that for a while, if one brother joins your party, the other immediately leaves (e.g. Sabin comes to aid your party at one point. Edgar gets pissed and after the battle leaves without saying a word).

Anyway, I have said too much.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:59 PM #9 of 78
The thing is though, VII pretty much already got a few updates. Not to the direct game in itself, but as way of Dierge of Ceberus, Crisis Core and Advent Children. (Sequels, Prequels, whatever same difference. The universe and characters were updated)
I would think most fans disregard those entries. I do at least. They're all pretty disappointing, blatant attempts at Squeenix acting like cock-slices and stringing remake-hungry fans along from one let-down release to another for a quick buck. After Advent Children, I didn't even bother with any of the other releases. My palate at least, isn't overloaded with all these spin-off releases.

I suppose one could argue that they could butcher the original material with a remake and churn out something along the lines of the stuff in the FFVII-compilation in terms of quality. But, seeing how the original material already has gameplay ideas and concepts in place, unless they royally fuck up the visuals and audio (Squeenix's forte) , they should do fine. Ideally it would be nice for them to expand on the gameplay but I'd be OK with a mere face-lift.

Quote:
VI pretty much hasn't been touched and the "remake" that was given to us was from a fucking Wonderswan port, if memory serves correct.
This is true, and if it was up to me, I'd love a full remake of both VI and VII, but (maybe this is just the VII fanboy in me) Nomura's cock-tease of a description seems more likely to be referring to VII as opposed to VI.

Quote:
But it doesn't matter, anytime this speculation comes up, so does FFVII remake and every time it has ended in "disappointment" as it was either a remake of FF1, or some other game. Plus the debates about what it could be and why it should be x or y are endless and only do nothing but cause shitstorms to happen.

Also: agree with russ
Sure, we've all done this song and dance before numerous times. And I guess it can feel like beating a dead horse, but even though I should know better at this point, I can't help but get excited over an FFVIIr whenever a vague announcement like this is made. As for the shitstorms, I would think we can all speculate for fun, without people acting like asshats.

Quote:
One of these days, nerds will quit getting lubricated over the thought of a FFVII remake/sequel. It will be a good day.
Yeah, I know. The game is overhyped and VII's fanatics are way too overzealous, so poking fun at the game and fans is hard to resist. Y'know what though? When it comes down to it, the game really was pretty great. It may not be the trendy thing to do, but I can proudly say that I like FFVII. I don't know of too many other games that experience a popularity backlash of this magnitude. But oh well, to each his/her own.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:21 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2009, 07:21 PM 5 #10 of 78
I like Final Fantasy VII. I thought it was a decent game. There, I said it.

Do I think it should have a remake? Not yet. However, the last few years Square-Enix has REALLY pushed the FF7 button hard through sequels, prequels, etc. So I'm not really that surprised.

However, as mentioned in this post, what I'd REALLY like to see is a remake of FF6. That was and is my favorite game of all time. Seeing it updated and new content added would be awesome. Or perhaps, for something even more shocking, what about a sequel? The world was left in the World of Ruin. What if some of the cast had to get together to repair the world? Some awesome moments could be:

* Shadow, having survived, reveals who he is to Relm. Shadow finally does what he says he will do in that he "stops running away from it [his responsibility]", and does start over again, living a normal life (the awesome, dramatic moments would be him revealing who he is to Relm, and the obvious tension throughout the game).

* Celes and Locke getting married.

* The revival of General Leo / Terra finding true love through Leo.

* Cyan finally putting the loss of his family to rest (there was only so much closure given to this).

* Terra learning more about her past and [possibly] how she alone will ultimately aid in the revival of the Espers in the world.

Obviously, some of those aren't as "obvious" as others. I could see some potential back story to the game to make things interesting. Figaro could be seen the main kingdom of the world and hence responsible for fixing the world. With magic gone though, this is seen as more difficult. This results in Edgar, who has used machinery, to work hard to use technology to replace what was lost when magic disappeared. However, Sabin feels that one can channel such power from within as well as use various techniques to emulate most (but not all) of what was done when they had magic. This results in a clash between the two brothers, resulting in a division of North and South Figaro. There is no civil war, but there is constant tension between the two nations and the two brothers.

This could lead to another big part of the game where the two brothers reconcile and the Figaro's unify. They could even design the game that for a while, if one brother joins your party, the other immediately leaves (e.g. Sabin comes to aid your party at one point. Edgar gets pissed and after the battle leaves without saying a word).

Anyway, I have said too much.
This right here is why I don't want an FF VI remake. It's good. No need to Kingdom Hearts this shit up.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:30 PM 3 #11 of 78
Jesus, Mortis. Not every character and story arc has to end with "happily ever after". Cleaning up every single loose end and "fixing" the World Of Ruin pretty much takes whatever depth the story ever had, drags it into the back yard, and shoots it.

The characters of FFVI are more interesting than the characters of most JRPGs precisely because they're all such flawed, imperfect people.

I'm all for a remake (not for the sake of improving graphics, but just to expose a new generation to the game), but a sequel to FFVI is an awful idea. The story ends precisely where it should — on a note of uncertain hope. To come back in after the credits to say AND THEN ALL THE DEAD PEOPLE CAME BACK TO LIFE AND THEY ALL FELL IN LOVE AND GOT MARRIED... no shut up fuck you just fuck you

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:41 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2009, 05:41 PM #12 of 78
The safe bet would be the world collectively groaning at the announcement of FFX-3.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:53 PM #13 of 78
The safe bet would be the world collectively groaning at the announcement of FFX-3.
God that would suck so hard. FFX-2 was already one sequel too many.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:08 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2009, 07:08 PM #14 of 78
Every day it isn't announced is considered fresh, new fuel.

"Looks like they're gearing up for that big announce at E3/TGS/Penny Arcade Expo/CES/Antiques Roadshow"

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:06 AM 3 #15 of 78
the man literally faced his inner demons, I don't know what else you want

a bigger sword and emotions hair maybe

FELIPE NO
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:38 AM #16 of 78
@Pang: Fixing the World of Ruin was more of a reason to continue the story rather than "let's make the world a happy place". Obviously, they could also do something like FFIV and have a sequel twenty years in the future. Or perhaps they could do a FF7CC and handle the events that eventually led up to FF6.

Nevertheless, you made a valid point. Interestingly, it was the fact the characters and story were so well developed that I liked the game. Aside from Leo, whom for some reason I wanted to come back despite his relatively minor role in FF6, the other events were mainly what I felt was natural progression of what FF6 was pointing to when it ended. Then again, after Lurker's comments, along with the realization it has been years since I have beaten the game, maybe I am thinking back wrong.

@lurker: Wow. I really need to go back to this game. I vaguely remember Cyan going to some nightmarish place in the World of Ruin but it's very hazy now. So yeah, scratch that.

Interestingly, I thought I read once that FF6 was suppose to have a lot more background and a longer story but couldn't due to limitations of the SNES. If that were the truth, I wonder what else was to be added (I have some ideas...). Furthermore, i wonder if that would be added into a FF6 remake.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 01:13 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2010, 02:13 PM #17 of 78
Depending on how long Celes was unconscious, you can have a mid-quel as well.

For the life of me, I can't remember if it was one month, six months, or one year.

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:30 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2010, 12:30 AM #18 of 78
I love how the second link in the OP slurges on about an FFVII remake, then links to RPG Land, and yet RPG Land says absolutely nothing about an FFVII remake; simply says the translation of the article, which is a personally requested title.

I'm definitely open to the idea that rabid Square fans have made some dumbass requests. Maybe he's making one of those. Seriously, just let the news happen. If it comes, it comes and that's cool; if it doesn't, just as well because you weren't holding your breath.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:50 AM #19 of 78
You know why I would prefer a remake of FFVII instead of FFVI? Because if it's a bad remake at least it will not affect FFVI and the fans would just shut it and for all about this freaking remake >.>

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 06:22 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2010, 03:22 AM 1 #20 of 78
No matter how much fanboys whine, a remake does nothing to tarnish the original unless conjured up in your own mind, even if it's largely made by the same people.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:42 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2010, 05:42 AM 1 #21 of 78
Could be that, but I'm gonna laugh my ass off if he announces The Bouncer 2

Most amazing jew boots
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 08:26 AM #22 of 78
I need a remake of VI!

I need to see Sabin suplex a train in 3D, god dammit!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2010, 08:44 AM #23 of 78
@Vinc: I thought I was the only one who enjoyed that....

FELIPE NO

Last edited by mortis; Jan 2, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Horrific grammar.
PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Jan 1, 2010, 04:50 PM #24 of 78
Could be that, but I'm gonna laugh my ass off if he announces The Bouncer 2
Y'know it can very well be. (insert obligatory joke about sequel being twice as long as the original). Or maybe they'll bring back Driving Emotion, who knows...

Thing is, even if they are not referring to an FFVII remake, I'm sure that they are aware of the fact that vague statements like these make many fans think of exactly that, thus, creating buzz and hype. Bastards.

Anyway, I would also love a proper and worthy Xenogears sequel or remake, but I have enough self control to keep such dreams in-check.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:16 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2010, 04:16 PM #25 of 78
FF-X2 was easily twice as god as FF-X so another sequel, if twice as good again might almost be a decent game.

I would hope that if they did remake FFVI they coudl somehow make it not be incredibly tedious, then I might actually make it to the end of the game.

What they should do is a sequel to Vagrant Story, remaking Final Fantasy games over and over is just gay. Unless you inherently change the gameplay, thereby making the game not a remake, the older FF games will always be essentially boring, no matter how pretty the graphics they bolt on.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] The "I too liked Xenogears' second disc" Club