Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Random associations

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:21 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2009, 11:21 AM #1 of 15
Random associations

When you're in a conversation, do you find yourself thinking of things that are completely unrelated to what the person meant? Are there images and ideas so entrenched in your brain that you always think of them when you hear the word that refers to them? Is this the first image that comes into your mind when someone says the word "star"?

When someone brings up snakes in a conversation, is your first reaction this guy?

How many GFF member have video games (or anime, or whatever you concert hall types think about) on the brain?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ExoXile
[兵]

Member 15320

Level 7.53

Nov 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:47 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 08:47 AM #2 of 15
I can't pick something particular but in a conversation something game/movie/fantasy related almost always springs to mind.

Especially since last year, I've been kind of blocking the real world a little I guess.
I think it's hard for any gamer not to go off associating stuff with games.

But it's not limited to games for me, I've got a really vivid fantasy going, I can be walking to the store and wander off in some fantasy thought 80% of the way sometimes.
Getting kind of annoying, really.

But yeah, I definitely associate certain words/items even locations with stuff from games.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

[-Dulled Blades Can be Sharpened-]
izanagi
I Love Yamaha

Member 7561

Level 20.67

May 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:25 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 06:25 PM #3 of 15
I believe what i "see" in my mind now whenever i'm having a conversation, is actually images that are captured when i was very young.

so for example if you'd talk about snakes, i'd think about the very first snake image i've seen.

However as you know when you're stilll a kid sometimes the wrong images get associated because , well because you're just a kid.

So it gets messy at times.

I guess thats how it works for me!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:57 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 12:57 PM #4 of 15
I associate parts of conversations with TV show quotes. Shows I pilfer lines from are M*A*S*H, Red Dwarf, Peep Show, Scrubs, Black Books or Spaced. It gets confusing when people have not seen one of the shows, so my random quotage produces a 0.o kind of reaction.

Sometimes my usual associations truly seem random to other people, but I can trace how I brought it up perfectly. It almost sounds like dissociation.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:46 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 02:46 PM #5 of 15
These associations of which you speak aren't very random, Hawkeye

They aren't random at all

I mean given the large degree of providence behind the memories involved I'd say serendipity is the last thing to refer back to here

Anyway, more than anything else I associate odd little circumstances I come across in daily life with fragments of old dreams. Maybe I'm just prone to déjà vu.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ExoXile
[兵]

Member 15320

Level 7.53

Nov 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:58 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 04:58 PM #6 of 15
Maybe I'm just prone to déjà vu.
This.
Applies far too often for me.
Although more seldom today, it could not be called rare.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

[-Dulled Blades Can be Sharpened-]
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 02:53 PM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 02:53 PM #7 of 15
Sometimes my usual associations truly seem random to other people, but I can trace how I brought it up perfectly. It almost sounds like dissociation.
I tend to have a similar, but not identical problem, where I'll latch onto something that someone says and then begin thinking about it when socializing with a crowd. After a while, my little side conversation with myself will reach some form of resolution and I'll announce to the group what I have decided or what my grand resolution was. At which point, I'll find that its been five or ten minutes, and they're not even vaguely discussing the same thing anymore. The most famous of these was a random exclamation of "checkmate!" after people had been talking about favorite scenes in movies. However, by then they had moved on to Goldeneye, or D&D, or something else and it was out of the blue. It often seems totally random later, but there's usually a good reason for how I got there, and its often related to what they were originally talking about, I just don't let it go when they do.

FELIPE NO
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:40 AM #8 of 15
I have a tendency to associate things people say with song lyrics. Yesterday I asked my friend something to which his answer was "tommorrow". Suddenly I have that song from Annie playing in my head. This happens quite often, though usually not with songs from Annie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
M. R. E.
Wark!

Member 33100

Level 1.47

Mar 2009

Old Mar 2, 2009, 01:28 AM #9 of 15
When you're in a conversation, do you find yourself thinking of things that are completely unrelated to what the person meant?
Very often. And I normally then make some kind of pun that makes people want to smack me.

But such thoughts are not specifically gaming-related.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
magewarrior
my destiny evades me

Member 1212

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:43 AM 1 #10 of 15
When you're in a conversation, do you find yourself thinking of things that are completely unrelated to what the person meant? Are there images and ideas so entrenched in your brain that you always think of them when you hear the word that refers to them?
Often <.< >.> Its called a mental illness, in my case anyway, just dont inform the others j/k ... *looks at what he wrote* shit, too late >_<.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Mar 5, 2009, 06:35 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 12:35 AM #11 of 15
Yeah, I have the same problem. I'll just blurt something out and the conversation will pause for a bit before I realized all of the work to get to that point I just skipped entirely. Oh well, keeps them guessing right?

How ya doing, buddy?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2009, 06:37 PM #12 of 15
Exactly what I was to say. Seriously though; my mind blazes through connections between things that make perfect sense to me but sometimes make people and at me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Mar 5, 2009, 06:41 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 12:41 AM #13 of 15
Exactly what I was to say. Seriously though; my mind blazes through connections between things that make perfect sense to me but sometimes make people and at me.
I think all of us should get into the same room just to see the string of words that would result from it

I was speaking idiomatically.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:13 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 02:13 AM #14 of 15
I almost always think on two different levels of mostly everything people are saying.

Usually I keep the second "level" to myself, but things like associating boobs with pi molecular orbitals I just have to share with people. And afterwards they stare at me silently.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:02 PM #15 of 15
Every time I think of the chorus of "Wind of Change" by the Scorpions, it goes like this in my head:

take me
to the legend of the Gobbos
on a glory night ...

I never even played this game.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Random associations