Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Mass Effect 2 - Skills would do a romance sub-plot but he has work in the morning

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:43 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2010, 10:43 PM #76 of 116
I specific remember something like that where its like this:

[Paragon] Annoyed response
[Neutral] Punch him in the face
[Renegade] Shoot him in the foot
Some of the options are a little weird like that. In Zaeed's loyalty mission, for instance:
Spoiler:
Paragon option is shoving your gun in his face and bitching at him.

Dread to imagine what Renegade would lead to.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:15 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2010, 02:15 AM #77 of 116
Ha, Zaeed, I still gotta download that add on. >.>; Is the loyalty quest for that guy any good? From what I got from the reading he just seen to be an after thought design to prevent secondary market.

I was speaking idiomatically.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:24 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2010, 11:24 AM #78 of 116
Does anyone have any estimate when Bioware was planning to release the Hammerhead add-on? Like, this year or next year or what.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:38 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2010, 08:38 AM #79 of 116
So here's my question. Does this game actually fix all the problems from the first game? Because, for one reason or other, I didn't like the first game that much. I WANTED to because the story was pretty good (or at least what I played of it) but I remember being frustrated as hell with the leveling and shooting and I just gave up. Everyone has been playing it and I'm kinda jealous that I don't have a new game to play. (Still haven't picked up Bayonetta)

How ya doing, buddy?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:44 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2010, 03:44 PM #80 of 116
Levelling system is completely different. Planetary excursions are divided into "missions", at the end of which you receive XP and level up. Combat is a lot tighter these days, too; the enemy health meters at the top of the screen are far more intuitively designed — if an enemy has a barrier and armour on top of its health, for instance, then it'll show you the health remaining in the barrier before you break through to the armour and finally the base health.

It generally makes a lot more technical sense than the first game did.

Originally Posted by Magi
Ha, Zaeed, I still gotta download that add on. >.>; Is the loyalty quest for that guy any good? From what I got from the reading he just seen to be an after thought design to prevent secondary market.
Not bad, actually. Provides an interesting bit of backstory to one of the mercenary groups, gives you a (very useful) heavy weapon, and feels totally seamless with the rest of the game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:46 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2010, 05:46 PM 2 6 #81 of 116
(Still haven't picked up Bayonetta)
I'm glad your mom died now. That is how much I hate you. She'd be disappointed and I'm glad she's not here to see this day.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:25 PM #82 of 116
My favorite part about the clubs? It seems that future ones will be just as self-masturbatory and uselss as present day ones~

Just finished it on normal, about to go through again on Insanity. Gotta say, didn't enjoy it quite as much as ME1, but it was still a damn good time.

Spoiler:
The sex scene had my rolling on the floor with laughter. Literally.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:13 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2010, 10:13 PM #83 of 116
Who did you wind up with, Frankie boy?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:04 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 07:04 PM 1 #84 of 116
So I just finished my first playthrough the other day and
Spoiler:
everyone lived except Grunt and Mordin. Grunt got a decent death scene, and it kinda made sense why he died, but Mordin was just randomly dead.
Kinda pissed me off a little, because I did everyone's loyalty quests and got all their upgrades.

Anyway, I started my second character on ME1 and chose the "Sole Survivor" backstory for him. In keeping with that,
Spoiler:
I want to have everyone but him die on the Suicide Mission. I found out how to have everyone, including Shepard, die, but does anyone know how to have him be the only survivor?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Feb 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Spoilers, dude.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 09:23 PM #85 of 116
Not possible to be the only survivor. There has to be someone besides Joker there to help him onto the Normandy. If nobody is there I'm pretty sure he dies.

Most amazing jew boots
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:00 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2010, 10:00 PM #86 of 116
Huh. I kinda figured all that stuff was pretty common knowledge, which is why I didn't spoiler tag it. I mean any magazine article about the game mentions it, and it even brings it up during loading screens. If you really feel it needs to be hidden though, I won't argue. My bad.

Anyway, bummer there's no way to do that. Thought it'd be pretty cool for that particular storyline.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:41 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 01:41 AM #87 of 116
I know, but I feel better safe than sorry, no worries. =o

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:25 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 07:25 PM #88 of 116
Well,
Spoiler:
if you finish it with only either Mordin or Thane as the last remaining party member, other than Shepard, within a couple of weeks Shepard would be the only survivor. I mean, Mordin is 50, that's old as fuck for a Salarian, and Thane is all tore up inside and about to die.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:09 AM Local time: Feb 12, 2010, 05:09 AM #89 of 116
I just got to the suicide mission bit this afternoon, on my first playthrough. On Insanity. While it's challenging, it doesn't really live up to its name. You do have to play a LOT more judiciously than you did on ME1's Insanity, though; shit, on my last playthrough I didn't use the cover system at all. Actually got through most of the game by sprinting past all the enemies.

Honestly, the difficulty curve is all over the place. First two hours of the game are pretty punishing, but the only genuinely hard bits afterwards are the ones where you're working against time or other factors—think the sidemission with the quarian and the packs of varren, or the bit where you have to defeat the hordes of mercs and not let Archangel get killed—and the bits of the game with husks/abominations. Apparently they don't have armour on the lower difficulties, which sounds ridiculously fucking easy to me.

Oh well, going to start a second (relaxed) playthrough on Hardcore afterwards.

edit: Praetorian battle on Horizon was FUCKING BRUTAL, too. As was the bit with the waves of collectors preceding it. That whole segment took me about three hours, I swear. Probably a lot easier without the armoured husks.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:10 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 11:10 PM #90 of 116
I find the only real trick you need to take down that Colossus on insanity is to stick to the left side, be patient, and rend him to pieces with the collector beam.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:18 AM Local time: Feb 12, 2010, 05:18 AM #91 of 116
I find the only real trick you need to take down that Colossus on insanity is to stick to the left side, be patient, and rend him to pieces with the collector beam.
I did it by sitting back with the wounded quarian dude for a few minutes, eliminating all of the present geth, inching forwards to pick up ammo and activate the next wave of footsoldiers, wash, rinse, repeat. After that, I inched across the elevated bit to the far right, crouched behind the little bit of cover up there, and kept mauling it with a combination of Incinerate and the collector beam. Took about ten minutes and did it on my first attempt.

Watched my brother do it exactly the same way afterwards, but he cut out a lot of time by using the Cain to shave off most of the Colossus' health in a few seconds flat.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:21 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2010, 11:21 PM 1 #92 of 116
I didn't get the Cain until well after I had taken down the Colossus. I used it in a side mission inside a tiny, cramped little cruiser ship. 15 blue sun mercs became a lot of blue sun merc pieces.

But yeah, your approach would work. I guess I was just impatient. Sat back for the solid first wave, moved up and left and cut down the rest. Tons of cover up there. Sat to its left and let loose wif dat collectah beams. I attack the structure Wolvie Berzerk style, and knock out the fuckin' pin and bickety bam, the motherfucker is rubble. Hence, no game show.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:35 AM Local time: Feb 13, 2010, 01:35 PM #93 of 116

YEEEEEAHHHHH

Spoiler:
Miranda and Legion both fucking DIED.

Also, made some fucking stupid choices for the suicide mission. Chose that shield-draining shit for advanced training and brought the flamethrower with me instead of, you know, something sensible. Beat the human reaper without using any heavy weapons at all, though, so FUCK YEAH

Time to start a second playthrough, I think. Probably on Hardcore.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:08 AM #94 of 116
Beat it last night. Highly satisfying game in almost every respect. I think that this may be the first time a game sequel has delivered on the mantra of "bigger and better than the original" in every possible fashion. I'm a little iffy on the logic behind the characters from the original game showing up / not showing up but its still better than YOUR BIOTIC IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE shit.

I also don't care for the ammo update. I really liked that the first game only had you worrying about weapons overheating; looking for ammo seemed like such a lame 1998 FPS contrivance somehow.

Spoiler:
I've figured out what I don't like about the end of ME2. Theres a lack of "finality" to it that the first one had. Even though I knew ME was only the first part, it felt like the storyline was finished: Saren was dead, the Reaper was taken out, humanity was saved for the time being. This one ends in the same fashion as The Matrix Reloaded - with a "To Be Concluded" tag and Shepard staring out into space.

And now we have to wait another... what, 3 years?

And I think the biggest reason of all? I blew through this game WAY faster than I do most, I did this in probably a third of the time I did ME in. But now I have to go back on Insanity and kick that out. And do the armor achievements and the biotic combo achievement which I pretty much have already I think.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:25 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2010, 12:25 AM #95 of 116
LeHah --
I agree with it improving on the original. I always ended up stopping once I got full control of the Normandy in #1. I finally dragged myself through it, and the game only really shined when you got to storyline-focused joints. I did all the missions, but the worlds/planets were all horribly copy-and-pasted. Fuck the Mako. SPEED BUMP. TIME TO FLIP AND GO IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION

Going from #1 immediately in to #2 gave me a "whoa, holy fuck" reaction. It went from a shooter-ish RPG to a shooter with a tiny bit of RPG involved. Head shots being something I appreciated quite early on :V

I enjoy the ammo, but I would've loved to have more shots on some weapons. The shotgun only has, what, 10 or 15 total rounds? Please. And also, more weapons would be awesome. I don't know if I'm nearing the end or not, but I have only a few different weapons. Haven't found a different sniper rifle, and I only have the Collectors Shotgun aside from my vanilla one.

Last time I came across a game like this that improved on the predecessor so much was Uncharted 2.

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:28 AM #96 of 116
I miss the Mako, despite its faults. I had hoped that the shuttle was going to be some kind of vicious fucking awesome Transformer type of hovercraft shit instead of just a deploying point.

And is it me or did ME1 have a LOT more side missions?

Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:45 AM Local time: Feb 13, 2010, 10:45 PM #97 of 116
I'd take driving over bumpy ass planets again any day over scanning them. God damn that shit gets aggravating by the time you are on your third playthrough.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 01:07 AM #98 of 116
Yeah, the planet scanning shit was a serious grind. I wouldn't have been so bad if

1.) The scanning cursor was larger

2.) You could find Element Zero a little more often

3.) Shit picked up phat beats

How ya doing, buddy?
Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:33 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2010, 01:33 AM #99 of 116
Fuck larger it needs to be faster. If it scrolled as fast as it did when you weren't holding the button then it'd be fine. BUT IT DOESN'T.

I hope those people who complained about the Mako are happy. Assholes.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:45 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2010, 04:45 AM #100 of 116
Planet scanning sucks. Mako sucked more. Here's hoping they do something better in numbah 3.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Mass Effect 2 - Skills would do a romance sub-plot but he has work in the morning