Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 06:47 AM Local time: May 2, 2011, 12:47 PM #51 of 352
The Matrix as a film was a simple concept made overly complicated to impress idiots, dressed up in a remarkable bit of design. The plot is nonsense, the dialogue is terrible but the cinematography is incredible. The Matrix is all about the look of the thing.

Inception takes the same idea of a virtual world controlled by someone else that you don't realise you're in, only swaps in dreams for a computer programme. Aside from lifting Leo's dress sense straight from Shutter Island, there's no real central style element to the film. It's largely realistic with a hint of film noire to some of the set design. Compared to the obvious effort that went into setting and costume in the Matrix, very little thought seems to have gone into the same areas in Inception.

As for the ending...
Spoiler:
Are you seriously telling me that as soon as they revealed that they were putting people in dreams within dreams you didn't think to yourself that at the end of the film it'll turn out that Leo was in a dream all along himself? It was just such a painfully obvious thing to do. I think the end would have been far more powerful if it had shown that he wasn't in a dream and that his wife had topped herself for no reason at all.

Plot-holes-wise, my biggest issue was with the whole limbo concept. Fair enough if you die in your dream and you're too heavily sedated to wake up then you're trapped in your own mind but there's no sensible reason for limbo to be a shared experience and even less reason for all the crap Leo built while he was in there to still be there when someone else goes there. Equally, it seems somewhat ridiculous that Leo persuades the Chinese dude to shoot himself and come out of limbo just at the time the sedative was wearing off and he would have woken up anyway. Essentially his years trapped in limbo were completely pointless.

Maybe I've just seen too many films over the years but I didn't really see anything particularly interesting or clever in Inception but like I said, it's a decent enough film to let wash over you.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 04:28 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 10:28 PM #52 of 352
Today I watched Rob Zombie's second Halloween film and the most recent Harry Potter.

Halloween 2 was pretty good. Not hugely scary but suitably gory although all the crap with visions of his mum I could have done without.

Deathly Hallows is the only Potter book I've not read so I watched this not knowing what was going to happen. I've felt the film versions have got steadily worse and worse as they went along but this one was marginally better than the Half Blood Prince. The story is of course complete bollocks with so many leaps of faith and remarkable coincidences it's not funny. There are a lot of things that annoy me about the Potter universe. Why don't any wizards own a mobile phone? Why when they're fighting so they sometimes need to say magic words and sometimes just use their wands like a laser gun? Why does Voldemort need a better wand to kill Potter? Why not just hijack an air force base and steal an Apache then shoot Hellfires at him? Or just buy a gun and shoot the little turd? Why did the Order of the Phoenix think the Weasley's house wouldn't be the first place the Deatheaters would look for him? Why after the initial broomstick fight did the ginger dude only challenge the identity of the black guy and not the others? Why did they bother walking for months, dragging Ron along when they could have just sat tight, waited for him to get better then teleported? Why did they feel the need to wear the amulet? Why were they sad when the annoying elf thing died (And why did they bury him in a sand dune, he ain't going to stay buried long there)? Why were the kids still catching the train to Hogwarts if there's a war on?

Anyway, it was a dull film of a stupid story. I'm not even sure why I watched it because I knew I wouldn't like it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 12:16 PM #53 of 352
Thank you so much for using this thread Shin! <3 Also I finally finished the '07 backlog. I'll be finally working onto '08 backlog now which to be 65 in total or so. Oh and also, I kinda uh cheated and basically bumped up a LOT of low rated movies up first so I'd get those out of the way.

Spoiler:

Inception - AWESOME. Totally new, totally refreshing, but yet I can see how it can be overwhelming/confusing/convoluted for those who doesn't pay attention at the first half of the movie. But that's my thing anyway, when I rent, I pay attention to every detail. And I really appreciate this one down to the detail. (This is bumped up thanks to OP. <3 )

The Oxford Murders - Went in hoping for a thriller, came away with an less than a thriller about math fanatics and pure coincidences. :\

One Missed Call - Another TERRIBLE remake of a TERRIBLE movie too. LOL why am I doing this to myself etc etc.

The Uninvited - TERRIBLE OMG. NO. Remake of the Tale of the Two Sisters should NOT EXIST. The going was great at the first half, but god, they really shat on themselves with that ending. :\

College - Terrible! Remind me again why I shouldn't rent dumb teen movies.

The Unborn - Terrible! Tries too hard, fell flat, etc. Total meh. Gary Oldman deserve better roles than this.

Tales from Earthsea - Terrible! I thought it was going pretty well, but suddenly its like why are we watching them farm? And that ending was so rushed, it just fell flat.

Charlie Bartlett - LOL, teen movie about prescribing drugs to teens by a teen. Mildly amusing overall, a feel good sort.

Atonement - I was recommended by hype into this, but did try to keep my expectations low. Did came away with an interesting experience on the little girl/old woman plot, not the love story although it IS the motivation of this entire movie. Liked it.

Feast of Love - Love the cast here, no missed/misused take either, the direction was very fluid and engaging all throughout the movie. I enjoyed it as it was telling about love lives between several couples. Morgan Freeman being the spectator.

Exam - Pleasantly surprised minimalist take thriller. I absolutely loved this. I highly recommend this for anyone who's interested in a minimalist take on human's extremes on desire to win, cooperation, and compassion.

Bolt - Not what I thought it'd be and not only that, the intro definitely did played my expectations right into it too. Came out pleasantly even more surprised despite of already seeing the ending prior. Decent all around.

Be Kind Rewind - Started off a bit slow, but when Mia Farrow came in to demand her movie, things just picked up and got awesome. Not only awesome, but superbly sweet and heartfelt.

The Nameless - Terrible horror, but good suspense in most parts though.

Son of Rambow - Pretty dang cool movie about a couple of kids letting their imaginations run wild with inspirations from Rambo.

Paraiso Travel - Okay drama about a Columbians making the imperious journey to USA, but I sure hate the ending though. Why the fuck would she leave that house to live in a trailer? What.

The Chaser - Interesting thriller, I was sidetracked with the cop investigation on the killer when the pimp was actually believing that the killer was lying about what he really did had done. :\

Good Dick - Milding amusing relationship/love story. Something new and something odd.

Reservation Road - <3 Mark Ruffalo. I also did like Phoenix in this too. Good strong drama.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 03:08 PM 1 #54 of 352
The Matrix as a film was a simple concept made overly complicated to impress idiots, dressed up in a remarkable bit of design. The plot is nonsense, the dialogue is terrible but the cinematography is incredible. The Matrix is all about the look of the thing.
Heres the difference.

The Matrix movies were "smart" enough to be sure to tell the audience what is the "real world" and what is "The Matrix". You can tell which is which.

Inception does "turtles all the way down" - they say that you can dream in a dream in a dream and then give you a "false botom" (Limbo) because for some reason you can't dream in a dream in a dream in a dream - even if the baseline becomes botomless after the third time.

One story tells you whats going on. The other just prevents you from understanding by never proving anything and thus rendering all sacrifice and danger as meaningless (since the whole thing can be interpreted as "all in the dream world.")

OKAY... all that said.

While I've been mostly just going back and watching old shows (EXOSQUAD) and movies (KRULL) that I love, I did go and see...

Defiance: Not a bad little movie. A little over the top - 1,100 Jews hiding from the Nazis in the woods and starting a guerrilla war against them is about as historically acurate as Capricorn One. But its still entertaining and Daniel Craig could sell ice in Antarctica. Good camerawork and the green color filter seemed more appropriate in this than in most.

Food Inc: Outstanding documentary about the forthcoming food crisis and the over-tilling of our earth. Some of it is a little farfetched - theres certainly some worst case scenarios that are passed off as immedeate and forthcoming - but by and large its an excellent bit of real-world horror that goes well side-by-side with Collarteral.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old May 3, 2011, 06:56 PM #55 of 352
Just got back from seeing Rio in 3D. Fun movie. I had the entire theater to myself. Awesome. Blue Sky Studios has made another winner.

Yeah, so it's a simple plot and plays out mostly how you'd expect but it's a fun ride and very enjoyable. Only thing I didn't like was that there were a few unnecessary songs it just breaks into mostly out of nowhere. The villain song was just guh and not asked for at all. They could have introduced him in a far better way and they kind of already did before oh boy here's a dumb villain song to emphasize just how evil I am. Other than that most of the music is fairly good and fits the theme well enough. If you're up for something to get you in a good mood I'd recommend it - especially if you're lucky enough to get a theater to yourself like me. =)

I still wish Pixar hadn't cancelled Newt because of being too similar to Rio as I can't imagine Cars 2 being all that spectacular. At least I have Winnie the Pooh to look forward to.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2011, 04:00 AM Local time: May 4, 2011, 05:00 PM #56 of 352
Saw THOR a couple of days ago (released on April 28th here in HK). It wasn't really bad at all. Yeah, it was cheesy in some parts, but I guess I wasn't expecting much so I was quite surprised by how much I did like it.

It did make me chuckle a few times, like...
Spoiler:
...when he walks into a pet shop and demands a horse, much to the shock of the shopkeeper. Or when he calls Agent Coulson Son of Coul ('cos Thor is sometimes referred to as Odinson, or Son of Odin).

Not bad a movie I thought anyway. Looking forward to Captain America and The Avengers now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2011, 01:21 PM #57 of 352
HI guys! Glad to see some mentions in here. I'm interested in Defiance, good to know it'll be entertaining! Good to hear about Thor too. Got that on queue. I didn't get to watch a whole bunch since my last update. Still got to see some.

Spoiler:

Saw V - LOL yeah. A must for any horror/gore fan. Because of this wrap up, I bumped on the last two of the saga to see tonite. I dunno why but I'm drawn in by the puzzles as well as the reasoning of the "victims" of the puzzles.

Gomorrah - Interesting movie. It did not provide any sort of a message or a theme between the characters until the very end just before the credits to announce how much of our money is funneling towards the gangs/urban wars there. :\

The Midnight Meat Train - Surprise horror flick with a PLOT. I was pleasantly surprised by the effort they went into this (besides writing). Pretty awesome and the ending just blew me away too.

Cold Souls - Paul Giamatti is in this, whom I'm a fan of. Neat take on souls being material/tangible.

Deadgirl - Saw this on a recommendation on another forum, albeit not at me but to another member. With THAT said, I can safely say that this is the dirtiest movie I have ever fucking seen. It really makes me want to take a fucking shower. And I don't mean there's grime or dirt or shit whatever, aka Trainspotting lol no. But in morals in regards of sentient beings, reason, and women. My god. Not only it was ringing true or anything, but how they played in it... :\ Its not depressing as much as it'd make me cringe and no, it didn't have a whole lot of gore either or is it embarrassing. Just bad aftertaste is what it is mostly I imagine.

The Broken - An awesome random thriller flick out of nowhere. I'm so glad I was random at queuing this. An excellent psychological thriller at that too. I just can't really add anything more in this to spoil, but its mostly about a woman who got in a car accident and got confused her memories of seeing another woman just like her in a previous day prior to that accident. Make sure that this isn't a horror flick in your mind, or it can go slow on you, but if you take the time and absorb the suspense and the details, it can be a great movie for you.

Quarantine - Terrible. I think I liked [REC] more. I do appreciate the take on the cameraman himself this time around, he was barely visible in the original.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:09 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2011, 12:09 AM #58 of 352
Haha, I only just noticed you saw Midnight Meat Train. I love that film, it's so silly and it's a perfect role for Vinny Jones. Did you ever see Creep? Similar sort of thing, only better.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:19 PM #59 of 352
I didn't like it Shin. The last 20 mins was really dragging with her flailing about against that mutant. :\ But the intro was pretty good and all.

So its about time I update this thing! And just for the record, I bumped up a bunch of 1 and 2 stars rated (by average) movies recently to just get them out of the way or I'm in that rare mood to really bash some shit films or nitpick on something terrible. So here comes the loads of terriBAD.

Spoiler:

Max Payne - Meh. Like in the Happening the lead just sucked in everything. The plot was flat as hell, no emotion/attachment at all. Its the first time I didn't care when the disc was scratched to hell and skipped some scenes.

Tropic Thunder - Best comedy in a while! I really appreciate the take on making fun of stereotyping Hollywood. And as always, Robert Downey Jr is awesome to behold. I'm just surprised by Ben Stiller's direction on this, he acted in shit films but he produced this somehow. DIRECT MOAR plz. And also for the record, this was showing as 4 stars out of 5 on netflix on average, and I only bumped this up for James.

Babylon A.D. - Terribad. I don't even know why I queued this. I think I liked Pitch Black and thought this movie had some ties to that movie other than Vin Diesel. Guess I'm wrong then? The ending just made this movie shoot itself in the foot too. :\

Transporter 3 - Love Jason Statham as always.

The Spirit - Cheesy as fuck but yet somehow, the lead was lovable as heck too. I liked this despite of its overly cheesy.

Eagle Eye - Terribad. Labeouf can do so much better. But then again, he was in Transformers. I always liked him in Even Stevens but come on.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Ditto above with Keanu Reeves, I'll just quote James' take on him, "I just can't take my eyes off of him." Stotic expression or not, he's still eye candy I suppose.

Ong Bak 3 - Not as good as the second installment though. Mostly recovery and drama in the enemy sidelines.

Ong Bak 2: The Beginning - Pure unadulterated violence all throughout in this movie in Thailand fighting and other methods adopting too. Great all around except for that expected cliffhanger.

Twilight - Yeah. Fuck that noise. Sparkles my ass. :Calls up Blade: I just end up laughing and seeing all sorts of WRONG in this movie and feel better knowing I've seen much greater vampire flicks in MY HEY DAY than this.

Half Nelson - Recommended on another forum, it was so and so. Still love Ryan Gosling though.

The Eye - TERRIBAD. I seen the original too and that still doesn't make it any better. :\

Code 46 - Not sure how I managed to queue this one, but hey, I like Tim Robbins and his stuff in this one was pretty decent. The plot was definitely original and interesting, at least in an uncomfortable ending way.

The Ruins - Lindsay Lohan is in this. LOL, I didn't expect this to take place OUTSIDE of the ruins or that it'd be more gory than scares. :\ I dunno, I was expecting something similar to the Descent but I was terribly wrong. Still didn't like it. I'll give props to the gore parts though.

The Happening - OH man. Let me remind you guys, this list is ordered by Latest to the Oldest okay? That means, I saw Twilight and Max Payne after this okay? This STILL fucking holds the candle of the worst movie EVER. OMFG. How do you even fucking fail at this. Man. It really insults my whole movie buff experience, its like this epic troll on viewing movies altogether. Still cannot forget this pile of shit any time soon.

Shutter - I went in thinking a decent asian remake and came out terribly disappointed. It took off in a direction I wasn't expecting (focus on the husband) and there were hardly any scares or deaths either. :\ Its a stupid ghost's curse story, not horror movie.

Mirrors - Jack Baur can do so much better than this but hey. Some of the effects were pretty good in this but there weren't a whole lot of deaths or gore as some scares here and there. Its mostly passive (oh shit, what was that) and not all that suspenseful as I'd hoped.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:01 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2011, 08:01 PM #60 of 352
I just watched Human Centipede. It's pretty silly and surprisingly high budget for a horror B-movie. Entertaining enough though, provided you set your expectations low enough.

Since Noos is off work for another month yet, we signed up for a free month of LoveFilm so she can just stream films through the PS3 all day long so expect me to be putting a load more stuff in this thread over the next month.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:03 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2011, 04:03 PM #61 of 352
Recent movies I have seen in the theater, possible spoilers in the reviews so spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

X-Men: First Class - This movie was great and I'm almost pained at how simplistic the later trilogy becomes (X-Men: Okay, X2: Great, X-Men 3: ) because this shows a great use of the source material. I really liked the background of Magneto, while Kevin Bacon proves to be enjoyably evil. Why did the black dude have to die (almost) first?

Thor - Natalie Portman edges over to likeable in her role (Her actual acting is bland but she carries enough enthusiasm that it becomes a bit charming), but its Loki, Thor, and Heimdall who really put on a show. It was a fun action romp and I can't wait to see Thor's role in the Avengers. Asgard was a visual feast as well. Nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable. Loki was surprisingly subtle for a character that is known to later become a villain, while Thor is all Ham and Cheese, like the comic books.

Green Lantern - Meh. Its the movie equivalent of a by-the-numbers coloring book that looks good, but provides little substance. They wasted a perfectly good villain too in Parallax. I can only hope the Sequel rises above this first outing's mediocre existence. Also, the actor playing Hal was the completely wrong choice. They should have went with ANYBODY else. The visuals were really good but that's about it.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Saw this in 3D. Michael Bay once again proves he is the undisputed master of the explosion while I prove to be the master of holding my bladder until the credits. The Megan Fox replacement bitch was the most annoying cunt I've seen since Dolores Umbridge, a character from the movie series below, who was at least INTENDED to be disliked. Also, lotta giant robots fighting, so I at least got my money's worth in that respect. Long movie is looooong

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 - Quick background: I've never read the books, but I recently watched all 7 movies over the course of this past week to get myself refreshed and up to speed on everything. The movie itself was pretty good. It felt a bit short and there were some odd editing / scene transition choices. While I only found out later that they had cut out some material, It was evident that certain characters didn't get as much screen-time as they should have, especially concerning character deaths. The climactic battle felt paradoxically both grand and restrained; it felt like the director couldn't make up his mind about if the final battle should be intimate or grandiose and tried to have it both ways. Regardless of any other complaints or nitpicks, Alan Rickman / Snape was fucking awesome.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:51 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2011, 08:51 AM #62 of 352
I watched French zombie film The Horde (La Horde I guess) last night and it's pretty decent. Rammed full of plot holes of course but then it's a zombie film and they always are but the action is very good, especially the hand to hand scenes and the zombie effects are pretty nice too. Worth a look for any fans of the genre.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:23 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2011, 09:23 PM #63 of 352
Watched in the last couple of days:

Green Hornet. Pretty funny as happens and better than I expected it to be.

Doghouse. Comedy/horror starring Danny Dyer. A group of lads go off to the countryside for a weekend only to find that all the women in the village have been infected with a virus that turns them into zombie-esque murdering bitches. Awesome, awesome film. Really funny, very silly and gory as fuck. If you liked Dog Soldiers you'll like this so go watch it.

FELIPE NO
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:07 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2011, 03:07 AM #64 of 352
Saw Captain America: The First Avenger last week. Thought it was pretty good and quite well done. Marvel have really done a great job with some of their hero franchises lately. Skinny Steve Rogers was awesome...
Spoiler:
...and I like how they showed him using his brains to get the flag, while upstaging those other soldiers at the camp. Tommy Lee Jones was hilarious:
"Look at him." indicating skinny Rogers trying to perform jumping jacks, "He's making me cry!".
The deal with the ancient power (They called it the "Tesseract" but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the Cosmic Cube) screams some sort of sequel tying in to Asgard and Thor, but then again they'll probably cover that in the Avengers.

Just saw Space Battleship Yamato on bluray (HK release version - Cantonese/Japanese language with Chinese/English subtitles). Not a huge fan of Kimura Takuya, but I liked the movie nonetheless. Tsutomo Yamazaki was an excellent choice as the stoic Capt Okita, though Meisa Kuroki seemed a little off in her portrayal of Black Tiger Ace Yuki Mori. Nevertheless, despite a few problems, the movie was quite enjoyable and I thought the effort was a good one. Hearing that the US is planning their own version of the movie gives me the willies though...

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:13 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2011, 11:13 PM #65 of 352
Just watched Dragonball Evolution and Tekken.

Dragonball was as shit as I thought it would be, why Chow Jun Fat went to make films in the US I will never know because they've been steadily going downhill. Entertaining in it's own way though.

Tekken was pretty good actually. I didn't even know they'd made a live action Tekken film and one would have hoped they might have found an actor other than Shang Tsung to play Heihachi but I enjoyed it. It's silly as all hell and the fights are a bit weak but it's worth a look if you can get it free.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:54 PM #66 of 352
So like... the stupid 360 don't have the interface to allow subtitles but yet the PS3 interface does? When James figured this out and loaded Netflix up on the PS3 for me, I went on a super crazy movie marathon. I don't even know if I can review everything in here because of the volume I've seen. But because the lack of subs, I didn't watch a few on Instant Streaming.

I'll be sure to list the ones on instant first. I'll list the dvd rentals later. Also, Sprouticus, you still suck for not posting in this thread. >:\

The first show James and I watched on Instant Streaming was fucking Hoarders. My god. That show really spins on your perceptive on a shit life one can lead. I can recommend it just for an eye opening mindset.

Pysch was a great show I began to follow up on. The dvds are still over the normal price range for James to buy for me, so I began to catch up big time. I'm about to finish Season 2. I'm sore about the last episode being not subbed as it said it should. I'll just read the script while I watch this episode. I'm just grateful that nearly all of the episodes were subbed just fine otherwise. Other than that, this show really takes it to the next level in slapstick comedy but with huge amount of modern american culture with it from references to movies to famous people to caricatures. I loved it so for this. Witty, quick to the point, and definitely light hearted enough in a crime drama to not take itself seriously too. Dule Hill and James Roday has such great chemistry I haven't seen before in conspiring buddies. Ditto with that sourpuss Lassie against the world. There's something something that reminds me so much of the duo and Lassie. I kept thinking that Scooby Doo the dog will show up somewhere.

And that's about all I'd watch in shows, I have other shows to catch up on which is Heroes, Glee, Damages, and some other show I forget.

There's a bunch of movies that I wanted to see on instant but wasn't sure about its worth a rental or not. Most of those movies fits the bill for "passed over" in terms of a rental. Foreign horror is often that genre and you don't know foreign/asian horror, get out of this thread plz.

Instant:
Hot Tub Time Machine - Lol, its alright. John Cusack is still lame.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard - Still a fan of Jermey Piven.

Retribution - Foreign horror.

Frozen - A good survival flick about a trio of skiers stuck on the chairlift for days. It doesn't really lend itself much in terms of plot but definitely interesting in terms of what to NOT do lmao. Some gory bits.

Fragile - Meh, slept through half way, interesting monster though.

Bloody Reunion - Foreign horror.

Pandorum - Interesting, I liked Ben Foster in this. The plot was a plus and some of the claustrophobic bits had me on edge too.

When in Rome - <3 Kristen Bell. If I have to pick, I'd watch this again over Pulse. The trailer according to a friend (and of course the premise as well) doesn't really lend to this movie very well. Sold as a cheap romance knock off, but she's still eye candy for me.

The House of the Devil - This made is made in '09 but with all sorts of 70s retro direction and it really lend itself superbly in terms of old school horror. The sets, the characters, the style, even the attire are all very well done. I only wish there's more directors that can do this for horror. Other than that though, the plot was to build suspense and it held up very well.

Dead End - Terrible b horror.

Carriers - Decent apocalypse flick.

Shutter Island - Leo, shed some pounds man. Decent twist there at the end. I think I like this more than Inception somehow. Inception was great in premise and sets, but Shutter Island really sold in character desperation that you see in Leo's character.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Its alright. Good character/cast to watch for. Nothing else really. Great make-up/cgi work of course.

Shiver - Decent foreign thriller (not horror although marketed as such.)

Law Abiding Citizen - I liked it. I personally don't care for Jamie Foxx though. But I'm still a fan of Gerard Butler since 300.

Gamer - Again, fan of Gerard Butler.

The Gold Rush - Charlie Chaplin being adorable scout in the cold alaska.

S. Darko - Terrible.

Leaves of Grass - Fan of Edward Norton, the druggie brother didn't get much face time for the ending to really make an impact for me though.

Brothers - Decent cast to watch.

After.Life - Not bad but meh.

The Joneses - Lol, really. Thought it was pretty shallow and petty as the premise.

The General - Adorable train engineer trying to save his gf from the enemy lines with his train.

Don't Look Back - Freaky identity scare for a woman. (Monica Bellucci and Sphie Marceau yummy)

All Good Things - I like Ryan Gosling, but not in this. Based on a true story but its meh.

Management - Took me by surprise, having Steve Zahn in it makes think its a comedy but no its a decent quirky romance story. Kinda like Adam Sandler for Punch Drunk Love, you got Steve Zahn in this one. Jennifer Anstion really sells her quiet good girl type (The Good Girl) quite well and I personally like this movie quite a bit.

Ab-Normal Beauty - Foreign horror.

The Crazies - Interesting if not unoriginal premise redone better.

Eye for an Eye - Its alright. Not much to say about Sally Field or Keifer Sutherland.

Defiance - Daniel Craig was okay in this one, but Liev Schreiber reminds me why I liked him in the first place. He needs more roles man.

Alice in Wonderland - Oh, its about Mad Hatter than about Alice. I didn't realize its set to be a sequel to Disney's old classic. Its strange but okay. Don't quite recommend it though.

Crank 2: High Voltage - If you loved Shoot'em Up, you'll love this one. Over the top man vs man battles and urban survival. Still a fan of Jason Statham and that ending was hilarious. Watch at your risk though, its raunchy enough to make the other half hate it. :\

Dead Snow - Hilarious zombie movie.

Voices - Foreign horror.

Iron Man 2 - Like the first one, its alright, just not as memorable.

Winter's Bone - Holy shit. Ozark's tough girl toughing it up in this back woods living. Highly recommend for a decent inside outlook of hicks. I thought it was great.

Grapes of Wrath - Now I feel terrible for Okies. But the classic really lends an eye on the family mom being the strong one to hold the family together through tough times. Sass, this movie is for you. I swear.
Rentals:
Beerfest - Hubby's friends recommended this. I say piss on this movie. It sucks.

War - Jason Statham in this what sold me but Jet Li finishing it off was even better.

Leatherheads - Fan of Clooney, thought it was alright.

Knowing - LOL can't really misjudge a Nic Cage movie going in these days. Its what I expected and some. Lame hair, some awesomeness, some terrible.

21 - Interesting Kevin Spacy/Lawrence Fishburne roles if anything else. Rest is just college kids living it up.

The Brothers Bloom - I thought it was cute and all til that ending. Watch this if you're a fan of Mark Ruffalo.

Untraceable - It wasn't what I was expecting at all from the blurb (brief synopsis) I've read. Colin Hanks in this one was pretty good, Diane Lane could had been better, but yeah wow at the torture scenes. :shudders:

Step Brothers - A lot funnier than I pegged it and enjoyed it.

Get Smart - Went in expecting terrible, left feeling terrible.

Sunshine Cleaning - An Amy Adams fan recommended this to me and I wholeheartedly recommend this too. Its very bittersweet to take home with.

The Aviator - Decent Leo movie to watch in. Didn't care for historical biopic much but to watch Leo again after Shutter Island again is why I rented this. Exceeded my expectations in Leo adopting the OCD habits.

Choke - Lmao Sam Rockwell really sold this movie's premise quite well too. He really does the character well, although I haven't read the story by Chuck Paluknik? but I expected some FUBAR shenanigans when I went in.

Rambo ('08) - Finally some closure? Sly directing this kinda distracted me from watching the movie but watching what he wanted to direct. The path he took with it is interesting but definitely satisfying at the last 20 bloody minutes.

Spiderwick Chronicles - Meh. Kid unleashed evil premise is so overdone man.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - Stupid. So stupid but yet the brief NPH cameo was delicious its almost made the movie but the rest is just silly dumb. I suppose its a movie for stoners but hey.

The Bank Job - Jason Statham again! Definitely compelling plot through and through, it starts off predictable but once it gets going, you're on edge like unlike most heist movies you've seen.

Ravenous - Guy Pierce is on my to watch list too, and the sets/plot was played out quite well and bloody as heck. Delicious movie.

Speed Racer - LOL, I kept thinking oh this guy (From the Wild) is Speed? John Goodman sure looks so old... Aside from the silly cast mismatch, I thought I enjoyed the cgi works of cars outmaneuvering each other on the tracks. It was a fun watch at least.

The Incredible Hulk - I was confused why did they redo this after Eric Bana's version? Oh, its the sequel to that one I guess? Edward Norton as Hulk is kinda unbelievable for me, I still like him scrawny in Fight Club.

Iron Man - Decent but not as memorable. I didn't see a whole lot of tongue in cheek lines from Robert Downey Jr as I thought I'd. Watch this if you want a Marvel movie, but don't go in with higher expectations from Robbie. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is for you for some RDJ love.

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Meh. Aslan being a no show in most of the movie kinda hampered it a bit. I suppose its more about the Prince and the character depth of the 4 sibilings.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - LOL, terrible. But that antagonist was fucking delicious eye candy for me.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Philia; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2011, 03:28 AM Local time: Sep 5, 2011, 09:28 AM #67 of 352
This week I've watched Tron Legacy and Battle Los Angeles.

Tron was pretty good, I liked all the references to the first one although the succession of massive plot holes are slightly distracting. For example:
Spoiler:
How come when matey drops through the portal the first time he just appears randomly in the city yet to go back they have to travel miles and miles to get to the portal? Surely if Clue's plan had worked and he sent that massive ship through the portal it would have smashed up the arcade and been destroyed trying to exist in the same space as a building? How come when they got back to the real world at the end, the bird found some clothes so quickly and easily and the kid got his clothes back? Why did nobody rob the arcade while he was gone and how come the power was still connected in a derelict building? Why do Hollywood films always assume that taking control of a company is as simple as being the major shareholder and saying you want to be CEO?

Anyway, as a silly film it's pretty good.

Battle LA is right up my street. Explosions, shooting and cheesy dialogue, top stuff. All it was really missing was the main Halo theme playing during the bits where the Sarg was being hardcore.

Also at the moment, Film Four seem to have decided it's Christmas so this week I've watched the first two Home Alone films and Edward Scissorhands. Home Alone never stops being funny and Scissorhands has aged really well.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:36 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2011, 09:36 AM #68 of 352
Last night I watched The Final Destination, the fourth in the series.

Frankly, it's rubbish. I really liked the first film, the second was pretty good, the third was ok but this is definitely one too far. It has loads of obvious, annoying bits they put in for the 3d version (Things poking into the screen etc), the acting is awful, the characters all get on board with the plot far too easily, nobody seems very upset when their friends get killed and the special effects are really poor.

I won't be paying to see the latest installment if this is the standard of the franchise now.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:26 AM #69 of 352
LOL, Shin, I'm a stupid fan of the series too but yet I keep giving it 2 stars out of 5. But yeah, the first one was alright in my book. I'm glad you said that its crap, I'll go in with cheap thrills in cheap deaths then. xD I swear that's all horror movies are good for, "1000 ways to die" with some plot.

Spoiler:
Wanted - Its excellent stupid vindictive fun.

1408: Unrated Version - Surprisingly good for a haunted room story.

Burn After Reading - Terrible. I had better expectations going in though.

X-Files: I Want To Believe - Ughhh nope. Plays out like one long meh episode.

Transsiberian - Interesting, pacing issues but well told I guess.

Instant-----

Double Indemnity - Pretty good insurance fraud story.

Unborn but Forgotten - Foreign horror.

Ponyo - I expected better but its cute.

Arsenic and Old Lace - Cary Grant really shines in this one. Making me a fan already!

The Ghost - Foreign horror.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man - The most amusing old school asian cinematography with some body gore horror. I was more than pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the sick turns of events in this little thing. Be warned though, the camera work in some scenes could make you sick (think Cloverfield) but lol at the drill bit. I can see now why this gem has a cult following in some circles. The main lead was excellent.

Visioneers - Its alright, I'm beginning to like Zach Galifianakis.

Three Extremes II - Foreign horror with 3 shorts.

The Baby's Room - Interesting but severely annoying lead.

The Nines - The going was great til that stupid "multidimensional being" twist. I did thought the plot was pretty good otherwise but ugh.

Chaos Theory - Adorable, I'm a fan of fucked up scenarios and this one counts.
I'm hoping to see Buried soon on Instant. I'm on a Ryan Reynolds kick of the late.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:34 AM #70 of 352
Quote:
X-Files: I Want To Believe - Ughhh nope. Plays out like one long meh episode.
How is that a complaint? "I greatly enjoy this show - but I can't stand the movie because its longer than an hour?"

Most amazing jew boots
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:02 AM #71 of 352
How is that a complaint? "I greatly enjoy this show - but I can't stand the movie because its longer than an hour?"
Well, the last movie for X-files really brought home on the show's theme(s) and some epic scenes involved and all the suspense behind the scheme of things in the government too. It left me with a huge impression for this sequel for sure.

This one is more like a more indepth character study of the two leads and their obsession, it'd count as an episode if you cut out Scully's painful "I want to save the kid" scenes. I guess its not a movie I was looking for, but what do I know.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Philia; Sep 9, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:01 AM #72 of 352
I don't want this to have a tangent so I'll just make this last post: The X-Files conspiracy stuff is garbage. It was just a plot twist ontop of a plot twist that culminated into absolutely nothing (see also: Lost). Aliens who steal kids to experiement on for colonization are thwarted by shape-shifting bounty hunters who are trying to get a vaccine from the Russians before killing the Syndicate and then theres aliens who can't be near certain metal deposits are then attacked by super-soldiers created by the military... ugh ugh ugh. No one cares, Chris Carter. Your mythology is crap.

But any movie that leaves you to ask you where your morals stand, instead of telling you what to think is good in my book. That last X-Files movie did just that. I'd be perfectly happy if they never made another one; they went out on the right note.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:06 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2011, 06:06 PM #73 of 352
Just watched Triangle. It's a thriller/vague horror by the guy who made Severance and Creep and stars Melissa George off of Home and Away. It's a decent enough film and worth a rent I reckon.

Spoiler:
Also one of the few films to deal with time travel type stuff to not be chock full of unexplained paradoxes. It's refreshing to see a film with this subject matter where they've actually thought everything through properly.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:39 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2011, 05:39 PM #74 of 352
Okay, I'm going to go right ahead and admit to watching Sucker Punch the other night. This is one of THE stupidest films I have ever seen, not that I expected it to be anything else from the trailer. It's just ridiculous and pretty and full of explosions; the kind of thing you can happily pick (massive) holes in and laugh at, usually whenever anyone opens their mouth. It's just about over the top enough to get away with having a shitty and occasionally jumpy script. It's got an okay soundtrack as well, although some of the covers set my teeth on edge just a little. We raged, but it was fun rage.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:26 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2011, 10:26 PM #75 of 352
I knew right away that Sucker Punch was one of those movies that you had to turn off your brain in order to enjoy the eye candy and spectacle, but holy fuck, what a SHIT ending. Definitely only worth a download, and only if you're not data-capped or anything by your ISP.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I also watched, mostly on a whim, The Holy Mountain, directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. That ending was ALSO bullshit, but for entirely different reasons (As I understand, it was based off a book that had no proper ending due to author existence failure). Personally, I think this movie was trying too hard, like it was being weird for the sake of itself. Definitely not your average film though, so I could appreciate that it did something different.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?