Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Ver. 214. Gobble Gobble Gobble, Slurp Slurp Slurp

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:18 AM #1551 of 1567
plus it's probably the most popular game Nintendo has ever made.
I didn't realize "most popular" now means "if you ask 100 people whose breath emits clouds of cheetos what game they play, the majority will respond with this game!"

Additional Spam:
Originally Posted by Gargomon251
And like I said before, every other brawl thread I've been to NEVER goes more than 48 hours without a single post.
I think it'd serve you best if you stop assuming that you know how this forum works, because I assure you that you don't and you're starting to prove the asshats in Welcome, Welcome right.

For instance:

Quote:
Anyway, yeah those updates were awesome, especially the Sonic and Ness ones.
Please to explain what the hell you're talking about. Context is a good thing!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by value tart; Nov 27, 2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:24 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2008, 07:24 PM 2 #1552 of 1567
I didn't realize "most popular" now means "if you ask 100 people whose breath emits clouds of cheetos what game they play, the majority will respond with this game!"
HAHA MO0 YOU SO FAT

FATSO

LARDY MCLARDERSON

How ya doing, buddy?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:28 AM #1553 of 1567
But I do not eat cheetos

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:48 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2008, 12:48 PM 2 #1554 of 1567
plus it's probably the most popular game Nintendo has ever made.
As of the end of September it had sold about 7.5 million copies meaning it's not even in the top ten of Nintendo's best selling games. It was the fastest selling Nintendo game ever in it's first week but that's hardly surprising given Nintendo's current release strategy of one semi-decent game every six months.

Gargomon, what you have to realise is that whilst this is a fairly gaming-centric forum, most of us have grown out of the rabid fanboyism that makes people want to carry on talking about games long after their release date. You'll find that at Gamingforce the majority of discussion about a given game comes before it's released and then in the month or so afterwards. After that, whilst we might all still be playing the game, there's not so much to talk about anymore.

If you look at somewhere like GameFAQS, there's over 217,000 different Brawl threads. The overwhelming majority of these will be stupid questions, repeated over and over again by the kinds of idiots who post at GameFAQS and there will be little or no actual discussion anywhere in those 217,000 threads. We kinda pride ourselves here on the quality of the discussions we have and our low tolerance of spam. As such, people put a bit more thought into their posts and appreciate that one really good post every couple of days is far preferable to 25 shit ones coming every half hour.

Hopefully you appreciate this and will come to love our slightly more sedentary posting habits for the quality of discourse that results but if not, you're probably only going to get frustrated posting here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:35 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2008, 12:35 PM #1555 of 1567
As such, people put a bit more thought into their posts and appreciate that one really good post every couple of days is far preferable to 25 shit ones coming every half hour.
Amen to that.

If you're after the frantic posting of a mass-group of fanboys, well you're not likely to find it here. And if you are finding it elsewhere (in all these other Brawl threads on other forums), then there's really no need to get your knickers in a twist that it's not happening here now is there.

And as Shin has pointed out Brawl had a great opening run (helped by it being included in a lot of console bundles, certainly over here), but has hardly continued to sell by the bucketload; in fact it seemed to drop off quite quickly from having any prominence in stores, which is surprising given Nintendo's slow-trickle release scheduling. More than that though, the game is one of the ultimate pieces of fan-service so it shouldn't be expected to be a massively popular game, unless you're polling sample is a bunch of Nintendo fanatics.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:03 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 03:03 AM #1556 of 1567
To be honest, Brawl hasn't captured my attention the same way Melee or even the 64 version did. While the inclusion of online has certainly added to Brawl's "replayability" I think that because it was more of the same, sustained interest for the game was going to be hard.

I think this applies in the situation here: we've pretty much discussed the Smash series to the point of death, Brawl's new mechanics/characters and just left it at that (and hence the lack of activity). Of course, we could go into a mad frenzy of GameFAQs-esque mindless drivel such as "1K3 sh0uLd b3 t0p t1erz!!!!", but this isn't what GFF is. Just. No.

[/two cents]

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
immp
Hortus Ortus Vinco

Member 584

Level 15.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 02:07 PM #1557 of 1567
I kind of wish Brawl came out 2 - 3 years ago. If there's any reason it isn't getting as much love as the 2 before it, it's because of where I am in life right now. SSB was during high school. Hours after school was out, weekend spent playing that game to death with friends. Melee came out for college which was perfect. We had tourney groups and stuff, played the crap out of that one too.
But poor Brawl comes out whenever one has left, got a real job, steady relationships and just doesn't get the time and attention it deserves.
Poor Brawl.

How ya doing, buddy?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:24 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2008, 02:24 PM #1558 of 1567
Well, you also have to remember that the Brawl board at GameFAQs is a focal point for interested people to go and talk about the game. A single thread in some forums where a fairly substantial portion of members don't even play video games isn't going to capture the same amount of interest.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:05 PM #1559 of 1567
We all have our lives to attend to and when you're surrounded by people who don't have as much interest in the game as you do, it kinda plagues on. Most of my friends will still play this with me, but not with the same seriousness of Melee.

And unlike SmashBoards or GameFAQs, we're not heavy on tournaments. When that happens or when someone wants to generate some interest in some weekend matches, we talk about it here. Otherwise, there's nothing to talk about. It's a pretty normal occurance for many games. Don't see why Brawl should be immune to it.

FELIPE NO
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:54 PM #1560 of 1567
Speaking of tournaments are you still doing the December/Winter Vacation one? If so I have something useful that you guys was complaining about during the first tournament.

That is, you couldn't save the replay because the matches lasted more than 3 minutes. Well there is a way to bypass it and it require using a hombrew app... and no, your Wii doesn't need to be modded (hardware wise) to use it. This does use a "cheat code" but it will no way affect the gameplay and it even works online/Wi-Fi. If you want to see (literally) an example, I uploaded two replays that my brother, his friend and I played via online.

If you guys are interested I can post necessary files and steps to make it happen. Just a heads up, you do need a copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess and a SD card (who doesn't have that?) to make this works. Also, if you're worry about it corrupting your savegame, I can also tell you how to backup your Brawl save to your SD card (by default, Nintendo doesn't allow it due to Wi-Fi/WiiConnect24 data).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:58 PM #1561 of 1567
Does online play actually work at a usable level now? As someone who mained Ness, it was nearly impossible to use his up+B to recover when the game reacted nearly a second after all my actions.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:40 AM #1562 of 1567
Not really, online play for Brawl is still a steaming pile of shit.

As for my two cents, I think of Brawl as more of a social game, one of those games where me and my friends can just all get together and have some quick fun every once in a while.

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 01:35 PM #1563 of 1567
Speaking of tournaments are you still doing the December/Winter Vacation one? If so I have something useful that you guys was complaining about during the first tournament.
Definitely. I'm anxious to see anyone who's played a bunch in between to see how much better they've gotten since March.

As I said, the tournament would probably fall under standard tournament rules (3 stock, 8 minutes, No items, certain stages... That deal). It was a free-for-all tournament last time and I just want to see how people work with certain restrictions this time around.

I'm interested to get the replay hack to work also... Had my system Twilight Hacked, but got rid of it.

Yeah, I know I'm crazy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kanzaki
Chocobo

Member 16476

Level 9.00

Dec 2006

Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:59 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 10:59 PM #1564 of 1567
I kind of wish Brawl came out 2 - 3 years ago. If there's any reason it isn't getting as much love as the 2 before it, it's because of where I am in life right now. SSB was during high school. Hours after school was out, weekend spent playing that game to death with friends. Melee came out for college which was perfect. We had tourney groups and stuff, played the crap out of that one too.
But poor Brawl comes out whenever one has left, got a real job, steady relationships and just doesn't get the time and attention it deserves.
Poor Brawl.
Adding to that, that most people spoiled everything from the webpage, it was not the same feeling of surprise everytime you unlocked something T_T

BTW I didn't have enough time to play, but now I'm with less finals, less work and more time to play.

Need to practice for the Winter tournament :P

How ya doing, buddy?
Sacred X
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:51 AM #1565 of 1567
So the tournament is confirmed?

I gotta hurry up and beat Kingdom Hearts Re:CoM, then I'll start practicing again.

I was speaking idiomatically.

SSBB: 0602-5947-4393 ("SX")
PM me if you add.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Ver. 214. Gobble Gobble Gobble, Slurp Slurp Slurp