Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl
Closed Thread

PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:29 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 07:29 PM #951 of 1323
Originally Posted by shadowlink56
I love this idea!
There should be ways to access new areas in all of the levels. Like keys for Link, Pipes that actuall go to new areas for Mario, Warps for Samus, etc.
It would simply be attaining a key and then running to the lock.
I notice that in the trailer, the halberd stage seems to start in a giant hangar bay, and then it takes off. Maybe they're actually doing this; either the halberd takes off automatically after a certain amount of time, or players have to do something to get it into the air. It's a sweet idea but I think the former is more likely.

FELIPE NO
Burp
Saving the world... but NOT for free

Member 10186

Level 12.97

Jul 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 05:13 AM #952 of 1323
Hey guys, im the only here who isnt too happy about "supers" in Smash Brawl?

I love Mario Kart to death, but i hate that the game its a "lucky game" sometimes, things changes too much with items even if you are a noob or a pro, i dont want to see those changes in Smash... Melee is really a game that you can mastered it at least.

And i hope that Nintendo can consider to insert Staffi and Lip on the game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Gamercafe.cl: Your source for game news in Spanish.
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:20 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 04:20 AM #953 of 1323
Melee is already a game based on luck. If you get the right items, you can make up for a lack of skill.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:41 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 07:41 PM #954 of 1323
Yeah that's why all the lame "high level" SSBM players turn items off and play Final Destination over and over. I think the supers in SSBB seem stupid as well, I don't want this to turn into a generic fighter.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 05:00 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 04:00 AM #955 of 1323
Originally Posted by Burp
I love Mario Kart to death, but i hate that the game its a "lucky game" sometimes, things changes too much with items even if you are a noob or a pro, i dont want to see those changes in Smash... Melee is really a game that you can mastered it at least.
Amen, I hate the new direction Nintendo has taken with Mario Kart. I mean, if you see 15 goddamn blue shells whizzing by in a single fucking race... of course you're going to feel cheap no matter who wins, because it feels almost like cheating.

But anyways I doubt these super attacks are end-all unstoppable. Like the super attacks in any other fighting game, it's obvious they're going to be dodgable and have ample warning time for you to get away.

Originally Posted by Grubdog
Yeah that's why all the lame "high level" SSBM players turn items off and play Final Destination over and over.
I used to do that all the time when I played against others. All it ever boiled down to was whichever character was better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by PsychoJosh; Aug 1, 2006 at 05:07 AM.
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:45 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 11:45 PM #956 of 1323
Ahh, but if you had the skill to evade/dodge all the items and be good at any stage, you'd be a TRUE master.

Smash Brothers was and will always be the game where anyone can win. Of course, this ain't good for the people who consider themselves "pros" at the game but as I said above, if you really are THAT good then items and stage shouldn't be a problem.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:05 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 11:05 PM #957 of 1323
Quote:
Amen, I hate the new direction Nintendo has taken with Mario Kart. I mean, if you see 15 goddamn blue shells whizzing by in a single fucking race... of course you're going to feel cheap no matter who wins, because it feels almost like cheating.
Actually I hate the direction of MKDS, but for the opposite reason which is how anyone can win if they just powerslide all the time.

BTW, what was the "old" direction? There has always been items in Mario Kart...

I was speaking idiomatically.
PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:12 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 08:12 AM #958 of 1323
BTW, what was the "old" direction? There has always been items in Mario Kart...
Hurrrr, yes, because I was referring just to the items and not all the other new things that makes the game shitty.

To tell the truth, I think MKDS is the second worst game in the series (worst being Double Dash... ugggh). I hate having to select from multiple vehicles that aren't karts just to get a high rating on the "items" statistic. I loathe it. They're complicating things too much and it's turning into a fucking RPG. I don't care what anyone says, it's just plain awful. It was better when the items were completely random no matter what place you were in, and the statistics were limited to ONLY "lightweights", "middleweights" and "heavyweights"... god that was bliss. Not like the utter bullshit they added in MKDS, no sir. How the hell is it Kart Racing if you're racing in planes, tractors and a fucking backho? And also, if other characters can pick anyone's karts, what's the fucking point of having different characters at all? Why not just change them all into shyguys?

Apart from that, I hate how they picked the absolute worst and most fucking loser tracks from the previous games and laughably threw them together in the "retro cup". I mean, Baby Park? Seriously, BABY PARK?!? Whoever made this decision should be fucking fired. Out of a cannon, into the sun. Baby Park is outright the worst course in any goddamn racing game ever, and anyone who disagrees has downs syndrome. How the hell do you pick that course over something cool, like Daisy Cruise, or Royal Circuit (MK64)? Good god, the only two halfway decent tracks in all the retro cups are Sky Garden and Banshee Boardwalk.

Also I hate the new blue shells that explode. Fuck them. Why can't they just fire straight on the track, taking out any racers in its path? That was AWESOME, when it did that.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by PsychoJosh; Aug 1, 2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:03 AM #959 of 1323
There was more focus on racing skill and precision and timing with items in the original Super Mario Kart. If you knew the layout and how to drive it you could actually lap players. That rarely happens in Mario Kart these days and is all a focus on item luck and powersliding. I don't consider snaking legit racing.

Back on topic, a good Smash Bros. imo plays any player, any stage, any circumstance and has a good time. People who just do no items, Final Destination all day are really missing the point. I guess you can enjoy the game that way but good god how dull.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:07 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 01:07 AM #960 of 1323
The karts are massively unbalanced in MKDS since the only people that really have a chance of winning are the light karts like Yoshi and Toad because they snake like dickheads exploiting the broken core gameplay mechanics (which is why MKDS is the worst for me). Items are basically useless against them. I also hate how the heavy karts basically slow down COMPLETELY when even slightly off the track, the light karts can shave off like 5 seconds on some corners just by driving straight through an offroad part of the track. At least the heavy useless karts have SOME advantage, in the item stat, otherwise it'd be even more ridiculous.

Baby Park is probably the best track of all time. It perfectly suits the fundamental layer of what Mario Kart is about, which isn't track memorisation just simple FUN! I play that track over and over in multiplayer, it's a complete blast every single time, you never know what to expect. MKDD is also my favourite Mario Kart so I don't even think we can have a discussion about this further.

I trust SSBB should be balanced since they did an awesome job of that in SSBM! One slightly overpowered super-attack could destroy it all though.

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:10 AM #961 of 1323
I'll agree they could have done a better Retro Cup. In fact I bet it wouldn't have been all that difficult to put all the Retro tracks into the game but they didn't; but a mix and match setup was fairly good. I really hope they make a second Mario Kart for DS and fix some of the big complaints people are having with even more retro tracks. And Baby Park is in my opinion one of the best tracks from the mostly dull Double Dash. It's very quick and hectic. I think that stage is the only one I find the ridiculous weapon use to be amusing b/c there are explosions and traps that can be set everywhere. Seriously, I think they need to have weapons assigned specifically for each level. A lot of those stages don't deserve players to have that many blue shells and crazy items. Lower the chances like in MK64. That game had a good balance for weapons.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:28 AM #962 of 1323
Whoa there's now talk of supers!? I'm behind SSBB news since I figured it's all speculation still. Forgive me for not wading through/searching keywords in the 39 pages, but has there been any more news regarding items? I'm most curious in the Nintendog one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:38 AM #963 of 1323
Baby Park was ruined in MKDS because the lap count was reduced, and the awesome items that made it fun, like Bowser's shell or giant banana peel, were not even in the game. I thought Baby Park was a stroke of genius in MKDD, but it was almost groanworthy in MKDS.

I don't want to start another psuedo-snaking debate (lol), but I just want to point out that ROB-BLS is actually the fastest snaker and the vehicle used for many world records. Weight isn't that much of an offroad factor even; I believe the Shooting Star actually slows down much more than the heavier Gold Mantis and other heavy low item carts. Also you could snake in MKDD and even MK64 to an extent, with good payoff.

My favorite Mario Kart is Super Circuit

As for supers in SSBB, I highly doubt that the devs don't realize that supers can destroy balance. I'm confident that they will do everything in their power to keep them even. Even if the trailer isn't real gameplay, the only super we're almost sure of (in what it does) is Mario's. Look as the hueg fireball hits the other players, they get rather pitiful knockback. I don't think Supers are going to be the be-all-end-all of this game.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:23 AM #964 of 1323
On the Mario Kart Issue:

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is my all time favorite game for the exact reason you seem to hate it. I love the randomness of the race. It's downright fun to play with any skill level. The items throw in a good level of difficulty that is easy to jump into, but very hard to master. Dodging Red Shells every once in a while is possible, but doing it every time is probably a bit hard. Baby Park is pretty fun if you're not racing seriously and just racing to have fun. The MKDD version of Rainbow Road nailed it for me. That track is amazing and the Background music is equally amazing. MKDS on the other hand, while still fun to play, is a bit unblanaced if you race against a "snaker". The items you get generally don't phase them at all since you're getting green shells and bananas all the time anyway.

On the topic of SSBB...

Supers in the game will still require some degree of skill, whether you're unleashing a super or attempting to dodge it. I'm sure it wouldn't unblanace the game in that it's an instant kill for any character unlucky enough to be caught in a blast radius. They'll do big damage, but it won't make them fly. It's not going to be unbalanced, just like none of the other games are unbalanced. They have their own quirks and bits of luck thrown in to ensure that it is VERY difficult for a player to master the game COMPLETELY, in that he almost "breaks" the game's competitive nature.

And to tie it all together....

Part of the challenge of mastering a game is to adapt to changing situations. If the opponent gets lucky every once in a while, you're going to have to adapt to deal with their advantage. If you're going to master a multiplayer game, you'll have to take into account the luck factor. It's going to be in there for EVERY multiplayer game in an effort to keep it balanced. It wouldn't be fun if one guy won EVERY time you played him because you couldn't do anything about it. It'd be more fun if you could take a turn for the better and get lucky once in a while. This argument won't fly for those who are constantly hugering for a victory and can't take a loss.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:43 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 11:43 AM #965 of 1323
Baby Park is probably the best track of all time. It perfectly suits the fundamental layer of what Mario Kart is about, which isn't track memorisation just simple FUN!
You have got to be kidding me. Whatever, I'm not buying that load of shit. Stock car rallies are hardly entertaining at all and its ideology manifest in a game like Mario Kart is even less fun. It's just a godawful small loop; honestly, what's fun about it?

Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
Look as the hueg fireball hits the other players, they get rather pitiful knockback.
Actually, they appear to be getting knocked around repeatedly, but can't escape the fireball until it clears them, at which point they're probably blasted into the sky.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by PsychoJosh; Aug 1, 2006 at 12:46 PM.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 05:27 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 06:27 PM #966 of 1323
Originally Posted by PsychoJosh
It was better when the items were completely random no matter what place you were in, and the statistics were limited to ONLY "lightweights", "middleweights" and "heavyweights"... god that was bliss.
When was Mario Kart like this? Were you getting Stars while coming first?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:33 AM #967 of 1323
RAB, the original Super Mario Kart was like that. You had to be reaaaaaally far behind in order to get a star or a lightning bolt. Those items were primarily used to kill the slower cpu drivers in front of you and to catch up and use your racing skill to get back to the top. Weapon advantage has completely changed since then. Back then it was mostly about driving, setting up traps, and having a constant defense and offense with red and green turtle shells. It was about knowing the layout, knowing your opponent, and about racing. Today weapons in Mario Kart have way too much focus and benefit as opposed to knowing the course and driving it with skill. I yearn for a Mario Kart that gives you the options to set weapons back to the way they are supposed to be at.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:49 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 02:49 AM #968 of 1323
To veer the topic back on track, any update at Sakurai's site?

Here's hoping they keep almost all gameplay options featured in Melee such as the 100-man melee, camera mode and HP mode etc. As for the reward system for Brawl, what would you like to see employed? Maybe the trophy system again or another system?

The trophy system may work well as there's the WiiConnect24 so...

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 10:30 AM #969 of 1323
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
Even if the trailer isn't real gameplay, the only super we're almost sure of (in what it does) is Mario's. Look as the hueg fireball hits the other players, they get rather pitiful knockback.
They've shown Link's super and it seems like it's just a huge flurry of hits. Samus has her DBZ ultimate doom beam, which would probably have the same sort of effect as Mario's fireball.

But yeah, I seriously doubt they make them to where supers = victoly. And even if they did, it looks like you have to grab that SSB icon to even activate it, so you should be able to turn it off if you want.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 01:49 PM #970 of 1323
Based on what I've seen of them, the supers would probably take the skill of Samus's cannon. You would have to know when the right time would be to use it. Using it whenever might actually be a hinderance or even dangerous, likely because using the super would leave you open to an attack, like when Fox is using his gun, Samus is charging her gun, or just after Marth and Roy counter.

Most amazing jew boots
PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 07:50 PM #971 of 1323
I personally believe Samus's cannon has to be fully charged before her super can be activated.

PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:02 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 10:02 PM #972 of 1323
I've been wondering, will the characters actually have alternate costumes instead of just different colors this time?

I'm thinking Mario can change into Dr. Mario and into his Mario Strikers outfit, Wario can change into his regular yellow outfit, and provided Little Mac is in the game, he can change between his NES version and his SNES version. What other costumes can there be?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 03:04 AM #973 of 1323
I'm really hoping for alternate costumes myself to be honest

Mario --> Dr. Mario --> Mario Strikers --> Mario Sunshine
Wario --> Original Look --> Wario Ware Look
Samus --> Without Armor --> Fusion Suit --> Phazon Suit
Link --> Fierce Diety Link (You know that would rock)

That sort of thing would be really killer IMO.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 06:44 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 01:44 PM #974 of 1323
Yeah that would certainly kick ass, I hope something like that will be in
And for Link it would be even more awesome to have all his different versions available. You know, Link to the Past, Wind Waker and Oracle of Ages/Seasons :P

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
SuperDK
ROBO-KY!

Member 654

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:12 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 09:12 AM #975 of 1323
On the subject of costumes, it'd rock if there were 8-Bit costumes. Except, for some I guess that wouldn't work. But still, pixels FTW.

FELIPE NO
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl