Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Birth Control

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:32 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 01:32 AM #1 of 59
Birth Control

Today my girlfriend went to see a planned parenthood doctor to research options for birth control. We'd been talking about this for the last couple of weeks because sometimes we just get lost in the heat of the moment, forget to put on a condom then have to stop ourselves to put one on; shit kills the mood, yo. (Or, in before LOL PREMACHURE EJACUMALATION) I wanted to go with her but I got pulled off to work and she just took initiative and spoke to a doctor about the whole thing. We're looking into the daily pill and her doctor also recommended the use of "emergency contraceptives" (which, as some of you may remember, I've had intimate experience with). I figure most of you people are adults and a few of you may even (inexplicably) be in relationships with someone you care about. This is probably a multiple answer thread:
  • Where do a lot of you stand on birth control?
  • What, if any, birth control methods do you and your girlfriend/boyfriend/mountain goat (Circle one please) use?
  • What's been the mode of discussion on this topic with your partner? (Mountain goat is excluded because, silly nerds, mountain goats can't speak human speak)
  • Have any of you had any experience with these "emergency contraceptives"?
  • To those of you who already have children, do you use birth control at all or in conjunction with family planning?

It should be noted that this is the first time I've actually seriously discussed options for birth control with any of my girlfriends. I was actually thinking about it today and it really hit me why. It's also the first time our age difference (she's 21, I'm 31) really impacted me. Most of my former girlfriends fell into one of the following descriptions: They already expected me to use a condom, didn't believe in contraceptives because their imaginary friend "god" told them it was bad or something, already had their set birth control methods (pills, diaphragm, etc) or, as was the case for one, had a fallopian tube ligation procedure done before we met, so this was never once discussed. I find it pretty curious that this all seems rather new to me.

So, yeah, long story short:

YouTube Video

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:42 AM #2 of 59
I use the pill. I've been on the pill since I was 15, for the most part. There was no discussion about this. There doesn't need to be a discussion about it.

I went to Planned Parenthood as a teenager to get my pills until I got my own health insurance. Since then, I go to an OBGYN once a year for inspections. Planned Parenthood is an excellent resource for girls who are under 18 but have ridiculous parents who won't acknowledge their daughters are sexually active.

When I go to the OBGYN, I get checked (for free) for all the STDs and shit, too. While it's not really necessary, I still do it since it's free and takes no extra effort.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:59 AM #3 of 59
My girlfriend has been taking baby killers for years and the experience has been positive as far as I'm concerned. They work as advertised: No babies and regulated periods. We've never had to use emergency contraceptives, so I can't tell you much about that. Just make sure she stays true to the schedule otherwise they may fail you and next thing you know you'll have a few dozen more children to cram in your wood-paneled station wagon every time you want to go to CVS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:53 AM 1 #4 of 59
I don't know anything about your girl but she better have military precision on taking her pills every single day. When you don't, accidents happen.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:54 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 09:54 AM #5 of 59
Buy Condoms from Condom Man, Best Condoms for Safe Sex - Durex, Trojan Condoms

I've had pretty solid experiences here. Maybe you should try out the combo packs so you can find a rubber that doesn't suck, paco.

(I was pretty amazed by the difference between brands.)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:14 PM #6 of 59
I don't know anything about your girl but she better have military precision on taking her pills every single day. When you don't, accidents happen.
To expand on this sentiment, have her train herself to remember her pill at lunch, dinner, or something else she does at the same time every day.

Some birth control pills require that you take the pill at the same time, every day, with military precision, like Lurks said. Others, you can usually get away with a 4-6 hours window.

Be sure to have her check with the doctor or pharmacist, and seriously, follow that shit religiously. Timing CAN be important.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:30 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 10:30 AM #7 of 59
I've been on the pill since my Mum took me to get started at 16. She is a very practical woman, which I appreciate. I've forgotten it a handful of times over the years, and if I'd been active in the past 24 hours I'd take Plan B. Nine baby-free years later, I'm pretty happy with it. *nods*

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:37 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 10:37 AM #8 of 59
I've had pretty solid experiences here. Maybe you should try out the combo packs so you can find a rubber that doesn't suck, paco.

(I was pretty amazed by the difference between brands.)
Oh, we use condoms and I've been using them for years and have had no problems (when I don't forget to fucking use them) with them at all. I used to use the Trojan Naturalamb condoms but my girl really didn't like them. I've never had a girl complain about them before either but whatever. I think she was allergic to them or something but I had to switch brands because of this and, after buying a sampler pack about 7 months ago, we finally settled on a nice assortment of Beyond Seven, Crown (these are my favorite by a long shot) and Beyond Seven Studded condoms as our regulars. The problem has never been the condom; the problem is that, if you forget to put one on, its usefulness goes right out the window.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:41 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 06:41 PM 4 #9 of 59
Most girls I've slept with were on the pill. Of those that weren't, I relied on one of two methods. The first being not telling her my real name and phone number, the second being anal.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:18 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 06:18 PM #10 of 59
Never used the pill. For starters I was too afraid of admitting I needed it when I was 13 and I'm glad now that I didn't - anything with oestrogen in it will more than likely end up killing me (maternal family history of heart problems). Considering I have only needed emergency contraceptive measures twice in the past seven years I am thinking I cope well enough without female-based birth control (watch fate get all pissed with me and make me end up pregnant by the end of the week), so I haven't really considered my other options.

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:10 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2010, 03:10 PM #11 of 59
Well, I pulled out for the entirety of the time I was married. OBV this doesn't work for everybody, but it did for me. I had to buy Plan B once because a condom broke, though.

Girl I'm with now, though, has the matchstick in her arm. It's awesome. I don't worry, she doesn't worry, and there's no way to forget it for 3 years.

Implantable Contraception

It's relatively inexpensive for the convenience. About $500 I hear.

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:34 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2010, 05:34 PM #12 of 59
I'm an avid fan of the shot. Depo Provera is by far, my most favorite form of birth control to date.

I've been on the pill before, and something about the hormonal control just didn't settle right with me and made me kind of go crazy. The nurse who prescribed it to me said (at the time) that it was the lowest possible dose of any amount of hormones it would affect, and yet I had issues. I don't know if it was the circumstances I was in or the drug that affected my psyche or not, but I figure it would be safe to assume it was a little of both.

Depo was great. You get an injection every 3 months (it was $50 for the injection each time since my health insurance didn't cover brand-name products). For me, the co-pay was $25 for the OBGYN visit each time so adding that up, it's about $300 a year. My boy and I split the cost when I was on it since I didn't see why I had to be the one "fixed" like I was some dog off the street while he got the enjoyment out of doing it condom-free.
Oh yeah, best part about Depo: No periods while you're on it. Ever.

My take on birth control is that it takes two to tango (or tangle, which ever you prefer). There shouldn't be a question/discussion on where you stand if you're serious about either your partner or your stance on pregnancy with said partner.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:27 PM #13 of 59
Paco, you and your girlfriend should go discuss this with a doctor who is up to date on the current options, their drawbacks/side effects and any recent studies on any of the drugs.
Seconded. She should also be seeing a doctor for yearly (or at least every other year(ly)) pap smears.

Shorty

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:48 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2010, 10:48 PM #14 of 59
To each its own, Devo.

I personally liked the Depo shot because my menstruation cycle was never regular to begin with. When you have periods coming every 3 to 28 weeks and have no reliability on it, it's definitely easier not having it at all.

Though I do caution with any medication that messes with a woman's hormones is that it tends to put the weight control out of whack. Although I never thought it troublesome, I did gain a tad bit on Depo. It might be different for other women. And as I've mentioned before, it did stop my menstruation cycle for about 1.5 ~ 2 years after having stopped taking the medication. I would definitely not recommend Depo to a woman who's in their 30's or planning on getting pregnant within the next 2 years.

Paco, it's up to you and you girl to decide what method works best for your relationship. Depo is a favorable option for someone your girl's age, but there are drawbacks and benefits and both should be weighed carefully.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:58 AM 2 #15 of 59
You could also try abstinence. I hear that shit works pretty well.

YouTube Video

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:32 AM #16 of 59
I'm an avid fan of the shot. Depo Provera is by far, my most favorite form of birth control to date.
Here's one thing I'm always curious about when I see prescriptions for Depo Provera (or medroxyprogesterone acetate, or MPA): do you personally inject the shot yourself or do you take it to your doctor? I ask because both the vial and the prefilled syringe are available (at least at my pharmacy) but the vast majority of MPA prescriptions we dispense are for the vial and I assume most patients take it to their doctor when syringes are pretty cheap (if your pharmacy/state law allows you to buy them) and making a return trip to the doctor's office for an intramuscular injection you expect regularly probably means another office visit fee. I just figure if you can learn to inject yourself with the stuff, cutting out the middle man seems like a good idea?

I'm also curious to know if you get brand or generic and, if the brand, why?

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:19 AM #17 of 59
If she does go for the depo then I strongly suggest calcium supplements.
All you bitches should be taking calcium anyway (whether in the form of a daily multivitamin or extra supplements in amounts prescribed by your doctor). Women start losing bone density in their thirties, which is not far out for anybody on this forum.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:51 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2010, 10:51 AM #18 of 59
Ladies in the past used the pill. Personally speaking (without getting in to it too much), I'm darn near infertile due to mysterious medical stuff BARREN. THE LADIES WILL NEVER SHAKE MY HAND ONCE WORD GETS OUT.

Echoing the issue about the pill and timing, though. Given that and the fact that nothing is perfect, a "double-bagging" approach is ideal, just to be safe.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Dec 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 01:18 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2010, 11:18 AM #19 of 59
Quote:
Plus I personally don't trust anything that stops menstruation completely.
You know that the only reason you get periods on the pill is because doctors figured women wouldn't take it if it stopped them completely?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:24 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2010, 12:24 PM 4 #20 of 59
Quote:
Any more information you have for me about periods RR?
Bitches be crazy.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:15 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2010, 01:15 PM 1 #21 of 59
My bad for trying to provide historical context as to why the pill has allowed for periods from the start for exactly the reason you say you wouldn't want depo.

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:03 PM 4 #22 of 59
See RR every woman's body is something hilariously special when it comes to personal issues like a period. Knowing that I'm ridiculously irregular and have gone for several months without one, I wouldn't trust something that stops it completely. Because when I want my periods back, who knows when the fuck they'll start up.

But you know keep on fucking insulting my intelligence.
Devo, are you PMSing right now?

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:25 PM 10 #23 of 59
Devo, are you PMSing right now?

FELIPE NO
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:28 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2010, 03:28 PM #24 of 59
My girlfriend actually has to take birth control in order to KEEP her period working right at all. There was a period there before she started again where she didn't get one for something like two years. Hormones are pretty awesome.

Also, premature ovarian failure is a pretty sure-fire way to avoid any issues. Try that, Paco.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shorty

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:18 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2010, 08:18 PM #25 of 59
Here's one thing I'm always curious about when I see prescriptions for Depo Provera (or medroxyprogesterone acetate, or MPA): do you personally inject the shot yourself or do you take it to your doctor? I ask because both the vial and the prefilled syringe are available (at least at my pharmacy) but the vast majority of MPA prescriptions we dispense are for the vial and I assume most patients take it to their doctor when syringes are pretty cheap (if your pharmacy/state law allows you to buy them) and making a return trip to the doctor's office for an intramuscular injection you expect regularly probably means another office visit fee. I just figure if you can learn to inject yourself with the stuff, cutting out the middle man seems like a good idea?

I'm also curious to know if you get brand or generic and, if the brand, why?
1. I'm not sure if injecting yourself / availability of the syringe in the state of California is legal or not. As long as I can remember my prescriptions were always in a vial.
2. To be fair, the doctor's office I went to was in the same building as the pharmacist and they delivered the package (vial) up to the office on the day of my appointments for free.
3. I would never trust myself with a intramuscular injection and the pap-smear test once a year was free; making myself go to the clinic/doctor's office (I was in-and-out of the office for my shots in 20 minutes most of the time since it was just the nurse administering the shot) 4~5 times a year wasn't all that bad.

I'm actually not quite sure if the ones I had were generic or brand name. I'm pretty sure they were the brand since they were so expensive, but I could be wrong. How much do Depo prescriptions cost? I'm sure you know a lot better about the differences than I do. Mine were close to $50 per vial.

Additional Spam:
All you bitches should be taking calcium anyway (whether in the form of a daily multivitamin or extra supplements in amounts prescribed by your doctor). Women start losing bone density in their thirties, which is not far out for anybody on this forum.
I suppose eating whole fishes bones and all don't count, huh?

Last edited by Shorty; Dec 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Birth Control