Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DnD] Basically, the Gamma World OOC thread
Closed Thread

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:22 AM 3 #1 of 239
Basically, the Gamma World OOC thread

Mankind ill needs a PBP such as this.

Hey, remember when we used to play D&D on the forum, and then I tried converting to Warhammer only to watch that wither and die like worst raisin on saddest vine? Yeah! And then I said, wait, we can play D&D live! But this did not happen, because of various reasons such as no attention span and also kobold arm-wrestling and also soot, so much soot. Then I tried to content myself with board games and also Magicka (Magicka has never made anyone content). BUT THEN:

I bought Gamma World for use at the meet and it is THE BEST. Everyone had no idea what the hell they were doing. Feet were shattered on invincible doors. Pickup trucks flew. Badgers were lured into dark holes and molested. A giant spider called an airstrike on himself. Yes, within 2 hours, OmagnusPrime went from a complete lack of RPG knowledge to attempting to destroy a sleeping pig-man with an air-to-surface nuke. But he rolled a 1. So it goes.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GAMMA WORLD

Rules-wise it's D&D 4E with a whole lot of the cruft filed off. No more lengthy weapon tables, no more endless feats to choose from. Hell, no economic system. Many boring things have been excised, and the empty space filled with random insane bullshit. Perhaps you found it dull, being a Dwarf Fighter. That's cool. Now you can be a yeti that is always on fire. Or a dinosaur's ghost. Or a time-traveling gorilla.

Thematically Gamma World is an actively ridiculous post-apocalypse science fiction pastiche. Ray guns and aliens and absurd mutants picking over a pile of centuries-old vacuum cleaners, priceless relics of the Ancients that they are.

But wait, you say. I liked being a dwarf! I demand to be a dwarf! I can accommodate you. Here's the thing: Gamma World character creation is heavily random, and your character is built out of two random origins. What I've done, see, is dump every single D&D race and class into the origin bin (including some fanmade origins from both games). You could still end up as a Speedster Yeti, but there's also the chance you could become a Cockroach Wizard. Or a Two-Dimensional Goblin. Or a Wheeled Warforged. Or, yes, an Elf Dwarf. You can be an Elf Dwarf.

Or an Exploding Pony. Or a Giant Halfling.

Maybe some of the mutations and tech you'll encounter belong in some other game too, it's possible. Also I quintupled the length of ancient junk loot table. Also also also I am pretty excited about this.

WHO'S IN?

Since chargen is, again, random as all hell, all I really need from you is a thumbs up and I'll crank out a monstrosity for you to steer around. Once I've done the mechanical gruntwork you'll be free to reflavor everything to your heart's content. Because I am assembling the D&D origins on the fly* I can't really give you the tools to do all this yourself. If I roll a really boring combination like Human Fighter I'll just try again.

Also keep in mind that Gamma World characters are meant to be pretty disposable, so if you don't like your PC, wait a couple of days.

*I think I have a pretty good eye for balance but if your powers seem shitty compared to others, complain at me and I'll do something about it.

FURTHERMORE:

Somebody call out a reasonably large city in the USA in which to begin your adventures. Gamma World is set quite a bit in the future so you might want to steer clear of anything that's right on a coastline unless you're hoping to roll a fish guy (are fish guys on the list? Not even sure).

Roster

Rychord - A RADIOACTIVE DWARF (Sheet)

Nutty - AN ECTOPLASMIC COCKROACH (Sheet)

Diss - A SEISMIC PHANTOM (Sheet)

Cette - A SIMIAN VAMPIRE (Sheet)

Denicalis - A WHEELED SKELETON (Sheet)

Queue

Hawkeye - A LINCOLNOID BATTLEMIND

Shin - AN OCTOPOID TIEFLING

Skills - AN ORC PIXIE

Lurker - A PONY WIZARD

Stop Sign - A KOBOLD AI

DEAD

Sousuke - A PRESCIENT BUGBEAR (Sheet)

Stop Sign - A GELATINOUS BARBARIAN (Sheet)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:26 AM.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:14 AM #2 of 239
I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THIS IS cause I only saw the drawing of the character sheets at Meet but

I WANT TO BE IN THIS

Also, I choose Denver. Mountains. Snow. Y'know.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:57 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2012, 11:57 AM #3 of 239
You had me at soot.

I'm in.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Juggle dammit
A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 AM #4 of 239
Finally have the free time to engage in something like this again so fuck it why not!

If someone who didn't get to play D&D last time round ends up needing my slot I'll be happy to fork it over though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!

Last edited by A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:37 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2012, 09:37 AM #5 of 239
I'm in as well!

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:11 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2012, 12:11 PM #6 of 239
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I also vote for Austin, Texas. or Athens, Georgia.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:54 PM #7 of 239
The character sheets and complete disorganization at the meet discouraged me, but I'd really like to give this a shot. Having pre-made characters should alleviate most of the frustration.

FELIPE NO
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:20 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2012, 04:20 PM #8 of 239
Oh my god, I've actually played Gamma World; I didn't think anyone else knew it even existed.

I WANT TO PLAY.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:21 PM #9 of 239
Ok, I'm going to give priority to people who weren't active when the last PBP died, so the starting party will be Sousuke, Rychord, Stop Sign, Nutty, Diss. I'm sure some of them will blow themselves up or eat a 400-year-old twinkie soon enough.

It'll take a couple of days to code all the character sheets. In the meantime, here's Sousuke's character sheet so he can start flavoring his weapons/armor/attacks, picking out an actual name for his PC, that sort of thing. If anybody else has any preferences on what their wasteland wanderer should be wearing or wielding lemme know and I'll slap it on in there.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:42 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 PM #10 of 239
My ridiculous work schedule at present precludes me from giving this the attention it deserves but I'll certainly be reading and looking to join in when someone dies in September...

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:42 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2012, 02:42 AM #11 of 239
Yeah, i could probably find the time for a new GFF RPG. Count me in, lets see what shenanigans we can cause.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2012, 01:37 PM #12 of 239
Okay, all 5 sheets are more-or-less complete (see opening post). If you guys could go ahead and name your own characters that would be super. I guess I could randomly generate those too but I don't think you'd want me to do that.

Plus the whole thing where you're all carrying Generic Melee Weapon #4829A instead of a tire iron, you might want to work on that.

Additional Spam:
Also I guess Nutty's without internet for a few days so we'll be waiting on that to resolve itself.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jul 2, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:46 PM #13 of 239
Nope, internet is back. I'll name my character Skittles. Do we just tell you the names of our equipment, or do we roll for that?

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2012, 03:19 PM #14 of 239
Yeah, you just basically describe what your post-apocalyptic giant bipedal cockroach ghost is using for his weapons and armor.

So in Skittles' case you've got something you're using as a shield, something you're using as a one-handed heavy melee weapon, something you're using as a one-handed heavy ranged weapon, and something you're using as heavy armor.

This can be obvious stuff like "kevlar vest, baseball bat" or ridiculous stuff like "a coat I made out of welded-together forks and a commemorative pewter stein from Oktoberfest '88".

I should also mention for everyone's edification that pretty much anything can be a ranged weapon, provided you can plausibly throw it at somebody.

On closer inspection Skittles has 4 INT so maybe he should be kept away from the welding torch

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2012, 07:07 PM #15 of 239
The sheet you linked for Skittles shows Heavy One-Handed Melee and Ranged. I'm not sure if I get both. I'm partial to the Heavy Ranged if I only get one.

Heavy Melee: A metal club fashioned from the head of Geoffrey the Giraffe, broken off of a mascot model at Toys R Us.

Heavy Ranged: A disc gun that shoots sharpened DVD discs, usually from the works of Nicolas Cage.

Heavy armor: an upside-down heavy-duty steel trash can, with a hole cut out of the bottom for my head

Shield: the lid from said trash can

FELIPE NO
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:49 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2012, 08:49 PM 2 #16 of 239
My character is Squeeze Majello, the boisterous blobarian.

He wields the Saturday Night Cleaver, a custom-made 2-handed polearm. It is comprised of a metal SHAFT with a rusted shovel head on one end (can you dig it?), and a chipped, broken disco ball on the other, encrusted with glitter dust.

His heavy ranged weapon is a goddamn cowboy boot on a chain, spurs and all. The boot is filled with ball bearings and carefully stitched up to prevent them from falling out.

His light armor is his unshakable belief that he is the sexiest gelatinous being on earth. He also has an afro wig. And some armor plating he has just under the surface of his ooze body but who cares about that.

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:23 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2012, 12:23 AM #17 of 239
Well, it seems that Stonum Iregard will be the name of this radioactive dwarven fellow.

A tire iron seems fitting, unless there is some kind of axe or hammer on hand, of course.

I will be gone canoeing from Wednesday the 4th 'til Thursday the 10th, and so in my absence I designate Denicalis as the one responsible for the well-being of Stonum.

Why Deni?

He seems to know dwarves.

Especially when they are sleding down a hillside, it seems.

Juggle dammit
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2012, 04:50 PM #18 of 239
That's fine, provided Deni's down and we actually get the game rolling before the 11th.

Just realized that Diss posts like 3 times a year and maybe might not be the most reliable player but I guess we'll see if he even comes back to finish chargen.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:28 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2012, 11:28 AM #19 of 239
I'll kick Diss in the teeth in chat to make sure he pays attention.

Also, I am proud to take up the dwarf mantle again in Rychord's absence, should you need me.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2012, 07:39 PM 2 #20 of 239
My character's name is actually rather offensive in most human languages, but somewhere along the line (for some reason) his peers started calling him Slim. How odd.

His heavy 2H weapon is akin to an oversized hammer with a large iron for a head. This ain't your mother's ironing-table iron... This is the Wrinklefucker. I mean come on, Bugbears like their suits freshly pressed.

He also carries around a rather modest collection of Magically Replinishing Throwing Microwaves in the case he that he ever needs to attack something from afar. He never seems to run out, either. Maybe it's just that once thrown, it disappears and returns to him. Though he never seems to be carrying the same model.

Slim almost always wears an elaborately crafted (and surprisingly ornate) 3-piece suit. It would be a shame to damage it, so he begrudgingly wears an ugly mish-mash of chain and plate mail. He calls this strange combination of attire the Lady-Killer.

Last but not least, his shield is crudely fashioned from a Chrome Refrigerator Door with a Leather Strap. It has served him well throughout the years.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Last edited by Sousuke; Jul 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:12 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2012, 06:12 PM 2 #21 of 239
Dr. Andesite always felt like he had a little bit more trouble in science classes than the other kids. Sure, he was a track and field superstar, but what he really yearned for was a deep and satisfying understanding of physics, chemistry, and biology. Perhaps it's just overcompensation to help him forget his shameful past, but he never leaves home without his Lab Coat of Defense.

Does he actually have a medical degree, or is it a PhD? Is he even a doctor at all? The way he swings that broken section of the Canadarm suggests he probably doesn't have the graceful hands of a surgeon, but it does suggest he kind of likes outer space. Who knows? Enemies at range fall victim to his thrown Erlenmeyer flasks filled with whatever handful of chemicals he happens to mix together first. He never was the best at chemistry, so the outcome of a given attack is really anybody's guess. They're, uh, heavy flasks. Thick glass. You know.

In order to protect himself and his allies, he wields the pinnacle in personal protective equipment, a UFO stolen from Area 51 with a strap around it to provide grip. The blinking lights and things are visually impressive, though the extra-terrestrials still living inside may not be pleased with the arrangement. They're polite about it, though.

Last edited by Little Brenty Brent Brent; Jul 5, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:30 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2012, 08:30 PM #22 of 239
Oh well I'm in too, I thought I signed up but it was in the other thread.

Fuck

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:03 PM #23 of 239
All right! The game thread is up, so have at it. Any rules questions, setting clarifications, etc etc, please feel free to ask but keep it to this thread rather than the game thread.

Also, Stonum has three bits of equipment that Rychord didn't flavor, so I guess Deni's free to do that if he likes.

How ya doing, buddy?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2012, 02:44 PM #24 of 239
You guys will have to cut me a little slack, since this is my first experience with D&D. I don't know how much I can do in a turn, what I need to roll for (and which dice), etc.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:38 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2012, 03:38 PM #25 of 239
If Pang runs this game anything like his others (and I can't imagine why he wouldn't) he's always seemed to make it pretty easy for people to play regardless of their familiarity with the particular game.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement > [DnD] Basically, the Gamma World OOC thread