Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Terran Gell
Nurse Demon

Member 1265

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:45 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 08:45 AM #226 of 3592
Here's the latest news...

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3042

To summarize, it seems that the PS3 60GB HD that we've heard about will not be optional but standard.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:11 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 06:11 PM #227 of 3592
Could one really expect something else?

How ya doing, buddy?
Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:24 PM #228 of 3592
That's pretty awsome. We all know what happens when they have a huge add on such as this sold seperately, so this is definately good news. It does make me more worried about the price though...

Oh and other than saving games & downloading demos/patches/new levels, is there any other real use for the HDD?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:31 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 12:31 PM #229 of 3592
Developers can make games with a HDD in mind. Can result in faster loading, and other goodies.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:56 PM #230 of 3592
The real use for the HDD is pirating games.

No lying.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:24 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 05:24 PM #231 of 3592
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
There has been pleanty of Real Time footage shown and even some gameplay for a few games.

Gullible little fan boy.

Only MGS4 was displayed on actual PS3 hardware and it didn't have any AI or anything else running side-by-side with the Graphical engine.

Get informed, then start talking.

FELIPE NO
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:34 PM #232 of 3592
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
Gullible little fan boy.

Only MGS4 was displayed on actual PS3 hardware and it didn't have any AI or anything else running side-by-side with the Graphical engine.

Get informed, then start talking.
There was quite a bit of realtime footage shown running off the earliest kits at E3, it's just that folks decided to focus on fantasy (Killzone, Motorstorm) rather than reality (I-8, Heavenly Sword).

Odd enough, those last two games are the ones I'm interested in the most.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:43 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 05:43 PM #233 of 3592
Didn't PHIL HARRISON said himself in an interview that nothing was running on actual hardware at E3?

Also, MGS4 was 'hailed' by PS3 fans because it was the first piece of actual Software shown.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:57 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 05:57 PM #234 of 3592
Didn't PHIL HARRISON said himself in an interview that nothing was running on actual hardware at E3?

Also, MGS4 was 'hailed' by PS3 fans because it was the first piece of actual Software shown.
Metal Gear Solid 4 was hailed, because its Metal Gear Solid 4. Durr. :lolsign:

Love it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:58 PM #235 of 3592
Then I suggest you head on over to B3D, since they've got 3 members of HS's development team and they've gone over, time and again, that aside from the character's face at the beginning, the rest was real-time. Then there's Ted Price from Insomniac introducing Resistance, which no one said was CG.

Really, how hard is it to believe that developers had the alpha kit before E3 '05?

Quote:
It was "hailed" because it poked skeptics in the eyes by dragging the "LOL CG" crowd through the mud. Following that, they proved it wasn't CG by manipulating every part of the demo it with the code showing. Oh, and because it's MGS4.

Cue inane Megalith response

How ya doing, buddy?

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:02 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:02 PM #236 of 3592

Nothing to this date has been running 'off of the actual hardware' as it still is not finished. Plenty of games shown have been running off of the alpha kits including Unreal 3, Fight Night and MGS4. Many of the demo trailers show were also a DVD recording of a demo that was produced running off of a alpha development kit.

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:07 PM #237 of 3592
Originally Posted by Megalith
The real use for the HDD is pirating games.

No lying.
And this is beneficial to Sony how? Surely there must be some other official use that they have in mind...

(hey, not that I'm complaning though)

Hauton
Carob Nut

Member 892

Level 5.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:45 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 08:45 PM #238 of 3592
Metal, I'm pretty sure Motorstorm is real.

Go check out one of those screenshots, and the huge amount of aliasing they have.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:10 PM #239 of 3592
Originally Posted by Hauton
Metal, I'm pretty sure Motorstorm is real.

Go check out one of those screenshots, and the huge amount of aliasing they have.
Well, that's debatable Hauton. It's often held under the same scrutiny as Killzone, given the insane level of physics going on in that trailer. There is one brief section of the trailer that could possibly be what the the final game may look like (a 5 second chase cam view of one of the cars).

FELIPE NO

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 10:32 AM #240 of 3592
You'd think that with such strong GPU and CPU power, the PS3 could do some anti-aliasing, even the Dreamcast could do that well. My Official US Playstation magazine has some PS3 game screenshots, that look like PS2 games with a very high polygon count. Their aliasing is extreme Untold Legends looks worse than Devil May Cry, a 2001 PS2 game. Obiviously SOE is not shooting for good graphics with that game. Stranglehold looks good though, Chow Yun-Fat (in the game) looks pretty close to real life counterpart. It'll be a while I guess until we see a PS3 game that looks even remotely good compared to the pre-renderd movies I've seen. Unreal Tournament 2007 and MGS4 are the only games that look to eclipse the PS2's best graphics in the near future.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:51 PM #241 of 3592
Sega, you've got to be kidding me. Any half-assed PS3 game would stomp the shit out of a the best looking PS2 game around, especially when the original Xbox has done that for quite some time now.

The only place where we're really going to see a noticeable jump in graphics is between the PS2 and PS3 given how old the former's hardware is compared to the latter.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 01:58 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 10:58 AM #242 of 3592
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
You'd think that with such strong GPU and CPU power, the PS3 could do some anti-aliasing, even the Dreamcast could do that well. My Official US Playstation magazine has some PS3 game screenshots, that look like PS2 games with a very high polygon count. Their aliasing is extreme Untold Legends looks worse than Devil May Cry, a 2001 PS2 game. Obiviously SOE is not shooting for good graphics with that game. Stranglehold looks good though, Chow Yun-Fat (in the game) looks pretty close to real life counterpart. It'll be a while I guess until we see a PS3 game that looks even remotely good compared to the pre-renderd movies I've seen. Unreal Tournament 2007 and MGS4 are the only games that look to eclipse the PS2's best graphics in the near future.
The newest anti-aliasing methods use multiple frame analyzation and blending which results in better looking AA without the normal blur associated with using superscale FSAA, edge blur AA or even Z-buffer FSAA. As a result, you really cannot see the AA effect from single frame screenshots. I'm sure there will be tools that will take proper direct frame buffer shots for the PS3 later on, similar to the tools used to take PS2 screenshots for magazines and such.

Last edited by Cetra; Mar 22, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 12:55 PM #243 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Sega, you've got to be kidding me. Any half-assed PS3 game would stomp the shit out of a the best looking PS2 game around, especially when the original Xbox has done that for quite some time now.

The only place where we're really going to see a noticeable jump in graphics is between the PS2 and PS3 given how old the former's hardware is compared to the latter.
Most of the PS3 games I've seem (at least real in-game screenshots) don't really take advantage of the hardware. UT2007 looks the best by far, but I do remember many PS2 games (especially early on) that didn't look much better than the best PS1 games, save for a higher resolution and better lighting. It took PS2 devs quite a while to get used to developing for the PS2 before they could pull games that looked as good as DMC3 and Prince of Persia.
Tech demoes don't take into account, physics, controls, or anything else gameplay related. They only show what the graphics and sound capabilities of the system are.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:24 PM #244 of 3592
Quote:
Phil Harrison, Executive Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment, will be giving his keynote speach at the Game Developers Conference today. Entitled "Beyond the Box", Phils speech will most likely be shedding some light on some of the much anticipated features of the PS3. Scheduled to start at 10:30am PST today, we hope to catch some more in-depth information on the PS3's online infrastructure which is unofficially being called the "PlayStation HUB". We will continue to bring you up to the minute news and details of Phil's keynote throughout its duration, so stay tuned to this post!

Update 10:36am - The speech begins

Update 10:41am - God of War director David Jaffe takes the stage and shows a trailer for God of War II: Devine Retribution for the PS2.

Update 10:49am - A vibrant, cartoony Loco Roco clip is shown to the audience

Update 10:51am - A new duck demo on the PS3 is shown similar to last years E3 demo

Update 10:57am - A demo showing many knights, possibly thousands, getting blasted and bodies scattering

Update 10:59am - Another clip is shown, this one of a grey sports car in a desert

Update 11:02am - A demo for Getaway is shown, this demo shows the camera being moved around in real time

Update 11:03am - Warhawk is shown, showing off the water effects and scattering of gunfire and clouds

Update 11:13am - Another demo is shown, this time of the racing game Motor Storm.

Update 11:16am - Ted Price from Insomniac Games steps onto the stage.

Update 11:23am - A clip showing a futuristic city is ran, displaying a blimp with the words Ratchet and Clank on the side. The camera pans down through the site with enemy robots and flying vehicles overhead. It has been revealed that I-8, their first PS3 project, is now called Resistance: Fall of Man and looks "incredible". Price speaks a bit more about the hardware at hand.

Update 11:32am - Some style of karaoke game is shown, with close to 35 variations of this game in Europe.It features a number of fully licensed tunes, including Rolling Stones and Celine Dion. Showed off a bit of game community with this title.

11:34 AM PDT- Keynote concludes. Still no word on the price point. .
ps3.qj.net/

I thought we were supposed to get more info on the online portion.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 04:10 PM #245 of 3592
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Most of the PS3 games I've seem (at least real in-game screenshots) don't really take advantage of the hardware. UT2007 looks the best by far, but I do remember many PS2 games (especially early on) that didn't look much better than the best PS1 games, save for a higher resolution and better lighting.
Problem is, the PS2 is ridiculously outdated, and the only reason it's survived this far is because developers have been able to wring out an impressive amount of power out of the machine. Unless these guys don't try at all or don't applly AA or AF or even DOF, they'll easily look far better than a PS2 game. All you'd need to see is a screen cap of MGS3 and compare it to any of the 9 month old shots from games like Resistance or Heavenly Sword.

Quote:
It took PS2 devs quite a while to get used to developing for the PS2 before they could pull games that looked as good as DMC3 and Prince of Persia.
Tech demoes don't take into account, physics, controls, or anything else gameplay related. They only show what the graphics and sound capabilities of the system are.
And yet, like I said before, a half-assed effort on the part o developers would trump the best efforts of PS2 games simply because of the difference in hardware. And tech demos show off everything in a game and console except actual gameplay. How can you include physics in there when that was a major part of Sony's presentation at E3 '05.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:07 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 05:07 PM #246 of 3592
I'm really excited about the news of Ratchet and Clank making the jump to PS3. I was fearful that, like the Jak and Daxter series, R&C was over after Deadlocked as far as consoles were concerned.

Hopefully with this announcement will soon come a similar one regarding Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:18 PM #247 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
ps3.qj.net/

I thought we were supposed to get more info on the online portion.
What do you expect? Sony's not going to blow their wad until E3. GDC conferences are usually made to appease people until E3.

However, this portion from a Q&A with Phil Harrison from IGN has got me excited.

Quote:
Sony has recently stated that its "basic" online service will be free, though it was unclear exactly what this meant. Harrison explained that anything outside of paid downloads or specialized subscriptions counts as "basic". In other words, all of the key features of the system, like your friends list, video chatting, grabbing free updates and indeed playing online will be entirely free. There will however be a few special case games that require paid subscriptions, like MMOs.
A Xbox Live-style feature set for free will make Xbox Live's subscription service obsolete, assuming PS3's online features are comparable or superior, of course.

FELIPE NO
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:25 PM #248 of 3592
Title: PlayStation 3 Will Be Region Free for Gaming
Quote: "the PlayStation 3 will be region free for gaming."
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10544/...ee-for-Gaming/
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

Checked the thread- I guess this confirms it. I tip my hat off to Sony for a progressive move.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:32 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 07:32 PM #249 of 3592
This is pretty great news. I myself am pretty iffy on modding my PS2, not so much because of the legality issue, but because even if I get those Japanese games I'd like to play (looks at FFXII) I don't think I'd enjoy it simply because of the language barrier, as noted in another entry.

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:40 PM #250 of 3592
Thank god I can play games that I don't understand.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread