Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2017: Super Deluxe Gold Voting Edition w/ loot boxes
Closed Thread

Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Jan 15, 2018, 06:59 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2018, 12:59 AM 5 #1 of 21
Unfortunately, some degree of peer pressure helped me get far to deep into a certain 2016 game pretty early in 2017, and I haven't enjoyed nearly as many new releases as I thought I would. Still, as per tradition, here are my picks for this edition.

Bayonetta - 10 points

To most of you, I'd assume Bayonetta is an established classic. As for me, the 2017 Steam version was the first chance I got to experience what the fuss was all about. Suffice to say I had a blast, and other publishers could learn from the quality of this port.

Endless Space 2 - 20 points

Without being a huge 4x fanatic, I had had a jolly good time with the first Endless Space game as well as Endless Legend. Would Amplitude Studios manage to make the most of Sega's patronage to up their game and deliver a worthy sequel that would reach beyond their niche fanbase? The answer is yes... if you gave them time. Sadly enough, ES2 was rushed out of early access in a questionable state, and it wasn't until around summertime that fixes and patches finally gave it the last bit of polish it needed. Devs have been pumping in adjustments and (free) new content ever since, further adding to what may well be the most gorgeous and immersive 4x game on the market. Even after 212 hours I'm not done with that one by a long shot.

Sonic Mania - 30 points

A miracle. Sonic 3 & Knuckles defined several years of my childhood, and ever since, I'd just assumed the franchise had died with that magnum opus. No, it hasn't - just put it in the right hands, and the magic rises anew. Go fast and turn up the volume: our old friend falk mixed some pretty damn amazing tracks there.

Rain World - 40 points [Game of the Year]

Sit down, relax, and leave your expectations at the door. You've likely heard about some kind of nail-biting hardcore platformer, with action/adventure/metroidvania elements and a cute protagonist. You're thinking Super Meat Boy, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc. While none of this is entirely wrong, the true essence of Rain World lies somewhere else, and forcibly fitting it into existing genres will do little justice to its originality. Let's start over.

There's a good reason why the game is not called Rain Action or Rain Adventure: the world is an essential piece, to the point where the discovery of its vast, diverse regions and hundreds of unique rooms seems like a bigger purpose than - eventually - progressing towards some form of ending. Rain World post-apocalyptic/decayed industrial setting is not only an artistic masterpiece, but also brilliantly designed and structured. The hint system is subtle enough that you'll likely lose yourself for a while before every corner of this non-linear maze starts feeling like home.

What would a world be without its inhabitants? Rain World's intriguing, delightfully alien-looking fauna and flora compose the most alive-looking ecosystem I've yet seen in a game. The complex AI allows these creatures to exist independently of potential interactions with the player, seemingly following their own motivations and purposes, while the procedural animation system makes everything feel incredibly alive.

So where does the player fit within that universe? You're an orphan Slugcat, a small, rather adorable and nimble mammal around the lower end of the food chain. What does a Slugcat do? For the most part, hunt, eat, avoid the jaws of larger predators, and hibernate. With each "cycle" giving you limited time to run around before the deadly rain strikes, finding food and shelter will be your primary concern. But as your curiosity inevitably draws you towards exploring new areas, you'll have to make the best of your agility and crawl into pipes, climb on poles, pounce across gaps and manipulate basic tools. Not only that, but you'll learn about the wide range of possible interactions with other creatures. Friend or foe? Can the hunter become prey? The predator, friend?

Alas(?), such knowledge has a cost. Early hours and subsequent discoveries of new areas/creatures will involve a significant amount of trial and (mostly) error. I cannot overstate how much patience and perseverance Rain World requires, and this might throw off new players. It is very easy to die, sometimes in rather unfair ways - and dying may set you back a significant way. Experience does a lot to mitigate that, but even after dozens of hours it remains possible to get caught off-guard or to trip to your death on a stupid jump. This may not be the game's most pleasant side, and it has earned a fair bit of critism there - to the point where an early patch largely addressed the most frustrating issues, and an easier mode was also implemented in a recent free update.

Without brushing aside these concerns, I would argue that Rain World is unique, deep and intriguing enough to be worthy of your patience and perseverance. They'll be largely rewarded, as soon as you settle into the game's unusual rhythm and allow yourself to learn the ropes, even when that (temporarily) puts your progress on hold. As far as I'm concerned, this has been one of the most original and immersive experiences of my recent gaming years, and you'd be crazy to miss out. Don't let it intimidate you and, insofar as you can help it, don't follow a walkthrough!

2018 Predictions

Borderlands 3 will be postponed to early/late 2019. If it isn't, it will have loot boxes, cancerous microtransactions and/or will suck.

The next Metroid game will be amazing and sweep the next awards clean, but I still won't have kicked my butt to go pick up a Switch and check it out. #sheltered

Star Citizen still won't be eligible for anything other than Best Vaporware.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Jan 20, 2018, 03:23 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2018, 09:23 PM #2 of 21
La-Mulana 2 will be released and be the actual GOTY 2018 but you goofs will be too fool to play and vote for it. Here's hoping I'm half wrong on this one.
No, no, we're all playing it, and you included.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2017: Super Deluxe Gold Voting Edition w/ loot boxes