Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Next-next-gen

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 AM #26 of 51
BC will be streamed, and therefor god damn fucking terrible.

Call me when North America actually has an internet backbone worth a fuck before people try this cloud gaming diarrhea please.
Calllllllllllllllled it. And I'm sure that it'll only be for PSN+ since that's valuable bandwidth. And maybe even making you repurchase shit you have on PS3. Or a "PS4 license" bullshit.

I really hope the "EyePad" tablet comes to fruition. Also lol Square Enix "WE ARE MAKING A FINAL FANTASY GAME. THAT IS ALL."

But the biggest laugh I got was Metzen of Blizzard sucking their cocks in "we've always had console gaming in our blood." No, you haven't. And the only reason you're doing this is for a quick cash grab since Diablo was pretty much a failure and was simplified enough to be a console game.

The one good thing I've taken from today is that they're going to "super advanced" x86 architecture, which means the fucking geniuses out there that want to emulate the system shouldn't have many problems getting a bootable OS for PC, thus saving me $500 in the event that an exclusive game comes out that I want (Infamous and Killzone, sit back down please).

But yes, please fuck yourselves over and force streaming gaming and online purchases only. Destroy the used game market (until legislation passes to allow reselling digital media for these things) so you can isolate the majority of your customers.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:06 AM 2 #27 of 51
I didn't catch Sony's stream, but I can tell that I missed absolutely nothing from sifting through news of what they showed. It looks like every game they announced is for the PS4 and the PS3, so why would I plop down a couple hundred bucks on a new system with a whole new set of problems?

Speaking of problems, check out that controller. Adding a touchpad and a big, flashing LED light aren't really improvements I was looking for. I can already imagine all the headaches putting a Share button on the controller to immediately start streaming/posting videos to Facebook is going to cause. If they were going to improve on the Dualshock 3 it was a pretty simple job.

1) Let me charge the thing without fighting it for 10 minutes.
2) Detachable battery pack.
3) If I'm playing while charging, please don't start issuing random control inputs. I'm not amused when the controller decides that it'd be hilarious to walk off cliffs in Dark Souls.

Also, Bungie couldn't be more self-congratulatory if they tried. It's genuinely impressive how pretentious the quotes are in this article. My two favorites:
Quote:
With "Destiny," Bungie is eager to reinvent the first-person shooter the way it did with "Halo." To do that, "We needed to coin a new phrase: first shared world shooter," said Pete Parsons, chief operating officer of Bungie.
Quote:
Still Activision realizes that with so many distractions these days, "Destiny" will succeed at launch only if gamers are familiar with its world before it bows.

With that in mind, Activision is revving up its marketing machine, rolling out a worldwide campaign across all media and at retailers like GameStop to start hyping "Destiny." Updates will continue to be released on Bungie.net; the "Destiny" website; its YouTube, Facebook and Twitter pages; and at events like gaming confab E3 and Comic-Con this summer.
In short, exactly the lack of anything interesting I expected. Going by the PS2 and PS3 I already figured that it would be at least a year before there would be any reason to consider buying it anyway. If they do force streaming of games then it may not even be then. I can't see that being stable at all, and a repeat of Dark Souls with kicking you to the title screen if your connection is interrupted for a second.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:20 AM #28 of 51
What upsets me the most is PS4 is just catering to the graphic whore crowd while setting the gameplay in the backburner. It worries me when I see a lot of potential games (Deep Down looks awesome but it looks like CGI without a HUD) to be backlogged because of the time spent on making prettier environments.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:49 AM #29 of 51
What upsets me the most is PS4 is just catering to the graphic whore crowd while setting the gameplay in the backburner.
Isn't this the third generation of Sony consoles that has done exactly that? Remember the Emotion Engine? Or the revolutionary Cell Processorâ„¢ that promised 15 billion micropixels per nanosecond or whatever the fuck that was supposed to do? If you're expecting anything other than a shinier version of the norm from Sony, you're fooling yourself. Gamers are slaves to hype like few others, and Sony knows it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:49 AM #30 of 51
Just going to throw my name into the mix of people that are totally unimpressed so far. Vita functionality is going to be a waste to people that don't own the handheld (read: most of the gaming population) and they really need exclusive software to drive the system. A share button is extremely superficial...Why not just make it part of the home button menu, without stamping it into the main controller? And hardware-based BC please (no stream), otherwise I'll just keep my old systems hooked up.

Lastly...I dare Sony to launch this thing for $600 again, with no pack-in. DOA.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:23 AM #31 of 51
I'm kind of curious how they'll emulate the start and select buttons for streamed PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. There's an Options button in the place of start which is fine and while the select button wasn't heavily used the Share button takes its place and if that is being used for well sharing your play session of anything then where does the button that functions as the select button come from?

BC isn't that big deal for me. I wish they'd kept it in for the PS3 slim I bought but it's not the end of the world for me. I have an original PS2 that plays both PS1 and PS2 games fine. Although I have thought about getting PS2 slim or whatever its called with the flip open top since apparently it has a better disc drive that allows faster loading.

I really hope this E3 Sony answers most of our questions and that most of the answers are good ones.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:49 AM #32 of 51

I really hope this E3 Sony answers most of our questions and that most of the answers are good ones.
Q from audience: Will the PS4 support used games?

A from Sony: I'm not authorized to answer that question. But we have a SHARE button! And it's cooler than Microsoft's Back button!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:03 AM #33 of 51
I love all the righteous anger in this thread. Yes, the press conference was roughly 1.5 hours too long and short on details, and there wasn't enough shown to make me a day one purchaser, but nothing pissed me off either (until just a moment ago). Sony confirmed the PS4 will play used games, and the streaming is only for BC games, not the new stuff on the system. BC is nice, but it's not a make or break for a game system. The system does include the ability to play games as they download, which is nifty. I don't care much either way about the sharing/social features, and it's a new system with faster processor/better graphics, so woohoo, I guess.

What does tick me off is today's confirmation that PSN purchases won't transfer over. Unless they're planning to offer some sort of conversion credit (ha), then I'm not going to repurchase things just so I can stream them on the new console.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:13 AM #34 of 51
What upsets me the most is PS4 is just catering to the graphic whore crowd while setting the gameplay in the backburner.
Something people don't seem to catch on to is that the first gen of all new gaming platforms exist using the same gameplay mechanics as the previous generation's. Why does the new Killzone not impress anyone? Because its just the same Call Of Duty gameplay we've seen for the entire run of the PS3 PLUS really stupid physics of hanging off a rope which looked *astonishingly* terrible for all sorts of reasons.

You have to wade through the first run of games to actuall see some changes. Remember how late in the PS1's lifecycle that Metal Gear Solid came out?

(Luckage mentioned ""PS4 license" bullshit". I know a number of people working in the industry and this is where they're going. Since its legal to sell games second hand ((the supreme court covered that in the late 80s)), developers have decided that you must now buy licenses to access the real meat of the game - this is why the last two Mass Effect games had that extra $15 bonus card thing in it, so when the kids turned in their copies for credit and someone bought it, Sony would still get SOME money for the purchase of an already purchased game. I can't blame them for wanting to make money or losing money because someone wants to save money - but it still doesn't sit right.)

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Feb 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:26 AM #35 of 51
Yeah.

Man, as soon as Blizzard showed up, I honest to god thought they were going to pull a Lost Vikings surprise or something for their console comeback. NOPE.

Diablo 3. Sigh.

Most amazing jew boots
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:31 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM #36 of 51
They have been talking about making Diablo III into a console game for a while, they never said which console though.

It's cool that they're only working with Sony, but shitty that they're just doing Diablo III.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:33 AM #37 of 51
They have been talking about making Diablo III into a console game for a while, they never said which console though.

It's cool that they're only working with Sony, but shitty that they're just doing Diablo III.
Oh, they WERE talking about it for a while? Weird. I guess I don't understand why there's such a huge backlash from pc gamers NOW about how Diablo 3 is consolitized (I KNOW ITS NOT A WORD).

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:34 AM 2 #38 of 51
The only thing they did was come out and finally say that Diablo 3 was always meant to be a console game. Can't spell BLIZZARD without an Activision.

I'm not even mad about it since I've never liked most of Blizzard's games anyway. Only ones I cared for were Lost Vikings and Rock and Roll Racing. The rest is RTS and MMO - two of the type of games I don't really much like. Sooooo...

Additional Spam:
Also here's a thing that sums up yesterday for the most part.

YouTube Video

Last edited by FatsDomino; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:12 PM #39 of 51

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:46 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2013, 08:46 PM #40 of 51
Came here to link that. But yeah, I figured they'd screw people with disc versions not being compatible, but digital as well? This is what they get for "HIGH TECH PC INFRASTRUCTURE" design, nullifying the use for older content. By saying it won't work, they have no intention of it working. If it was a maybe thing, they'd keep quiet.

CLETUS, HAND ME THAT THERE SHOVEL DO GIVE THE GRAVE FOR OLE SONY.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:36 PM #41 of 51
If they don't react to the outpouring of anger over not honoring PSN purchases and PS/Ps2 emulation (I'm not sure if the PS4 could emulate PS3 games without it being a shitload more expensive), this console is going to be fucking DOA.

ComradeTande

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:49 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2013, 09:49 AM #42 of 51
I don't quite understand why everyone is so fervent on making sure this thing is backwards compatible. Let's take a think for a moment and realize that backwards compatibility only really started with the PS2. The only backwards compatible systems are the Wii, Wii U (forgive me if I'm wrong with that one), ps2, ps3 (ps1 discs, and some of those can play ps2), and limited backwards compatibility on the Xbox 360. Oh, and of course Nintendo's handhelds, but a lot of those were just rehashes of each other. I can't particularly remember anyone complaining the n64 couldn't play snes games. Or even the dreamcast being unable to play saturn games.

While backwards compatibility would be grand, it's not exactly a deal breaker for me. A deal breaker would be something like the inability to play used games, that's just...well, retarded if it didn't. The consumer wants to buy used games, and it'd be terribly stupid of them to not allow for it.

If its such a problem, why not just keep your ps3? I kept my ps2 just so I could play ps2 games. I kept my psp because I didn't want to rebuy all those games on the psn.

And quite honestly, none of the people who come into shop seem to even realize that the xbox 360 can play (a limited amount of) xbox games, or that the wii even though it has neato controller ports can play gamecube games, or that even the ps3 can play ps1 games. And when I do tell them this, it doesn't really spur them on to buy those games, anyway. So I guess there's your main consumer of these things :\

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:00 AM #43 of 51
From what I understand, it will be streamed from their cloud service or something. Not sure on all the details though. So you can play PS1-PS3 games, but they are emulated... or something like that. I dunno, I'm confused about it all. Maybe E3 will shed some more light.

I still have my Playstations 1 and 2 and have an early model 3 that plays PS2 games, so it's not like I'm going to be without those. Actually I haven't turned my Playstation 2 on in some time now, I wonder if it still even works.

All that aside, a few of the games look kinda cool. Deep Down looked interesting to me at least. But I'm not sure a few games that look good is going to make me want to scream "Shut up and Take My Life savings!"

Tande, no one expected to be able to play SNES games on N64 because it was a time where a new system meant just that: New. Moving Forward. Sony was the one that opened that door when they made Playstation 2 backwards compatible with 1. Then everyone was like "Man, that's so cool! My old games I love won't collect dust and I don't have to keep 2 systems plugged in all the time!" When PS3 was released, they claimed "We'll never drop Backward Compatibility." but then started bitching because they were "too expensive to make, so we're dropping BC". If anything, blame Sony on this new well.. "demand" I suppose is the right word, on making systems play the older games without having to replace them digitally or buying HD Remasters.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by dagget; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2013, 06:02 PM 1 #44 of 51
If its such a problem, why not just keep your ps3?
Because a PS3 is not going to work three years down the line.

And when PSN shuts down (and it will eventually), people will lose entire digital collections of bought games. Playstation Plus subscribers especially.

It's not only about whether one specific console plays this or won't play that, it's also people slowly realising all-digital is maybe not that great after all if something like this is going to keep happening. Consider all that DLC separated content that's coming with and to retail games nowadays, if it indeed comes to PSN content not being compatible with PS4/PSW.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:33 AM #45 of 51
Yeah. I worry about how M$ is gonna handle all of the XBLA games. We've bought so much on there. Including Minecraft.

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:42 AM #46 of 51
that the wii even though it has neato controller ports can play gamecube games
Except new Wii's don't have that or the ability to even load GC games. Even Nintendo is getting out of the backwards compatibility thing.

Which is bullshit.

It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
ComradeTande

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:55 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2013, 01:55 PM #47 of 51
Point made! Though what does BC do for Sony besides let you play those games without buying them on the PSN?

Either way I'll still have all my physical copies kept safe and ready to play on my good ol' PS2 or PS3.

I'm confused at the idea of them not honoring the purchases off the PSN being downloaded onto the PS4. They let you do that on the Vita. Unlike Nintendo's system, the PSN has a real log in and record of what you buy and isn't completely ass backwards. If they completely nix that, that'd be a slap in the face of everyone who bought those games. Guess we'll see in the future.

FELIPE NO
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:04 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2013, 11:04 PM #48 of 51
PS4 doesn't use PSN.

And I'm guessing since a lot of downloadable games on PSN are just PS3 games in downloadable form, if retail games won't work, downloadable games won't either. Pretty sure it's both an architecture thing as well as a business thing. They can't guarantee compatibility on all (if any) of the titles, so they won't bother at all, just like they did with removing the emulation BC for PS2 games on PS3.

As for the Vita, the downloadable PS3 games don't work on Vita. You can't even download them on it. They just often have PS3 and Vita versions of a game and sometimes support crossbuying in hopes of getting more Vita sales so when you buy one, you also get the other, but it's never the same files, and not for all titles.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:37 PM #49 of 51
For the most part, emulation is kind of a non-issue. Yes, emulating one generation behind (PS3 emulating PS2) does require different hardware since software emulation is very much software based, which is why we can still do PS1.

However, the "all or nothing" logic is bullshit. All my PS1 games work on my PS3 except my all-time favorite (Wing Commander 3) because it uses a video compression codec made specifically for that game. So why didn't they just cut out PS1 emulation all-together if they couldn't run one of the most expensive games of all time?

I sincerely doubt the PS4 will do PS3 emulation unless they throw another $80 worth of tech into the unit. But (most) PS1 and PS2 games would definitely run under software emulation, without hesitation.

This is simply them milking the consumer. The concept that "its not in the architecture" is a fallacy, like raising a building but not putting any fucking doors in it. You build the doors beforehand because otherwise, why bother?

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:38 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2013, 06:38 PM #50 of 51
When I got a PS3 I was a bit bummed that it wouldn't play PS2 games because I still had a few to play but to be honest, I've not played a single Xbob game since I bought a 360 and I've still to get round to playing those last couple of PS2 games since I got a PS3 so lack of BC isn't really an issue for me. It's nice to be able to stick PS1 games in and play them on my Vita but at a couple of quid a pop, I don't mind re-downloading the PS1 games to have them sat on a memory stick either. Seeing as how I just got an SD projector and I'm going to use my PS2 as a DVD player through it, I might actually get round to playing those last couple of games one of these days.

All the social stuff on this is largely pointless for me, although watching Acer play games is always amusing.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Next-next-gen