Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:25 PM #326 of 352
I've watched Lords of Salem and V/H/S recently, so here's some thoughts:

Lords: Dear Rob,

More horror/gore, less titties. I would forgive the lack of gore if the movie was scarier, and I love me some surreal horror. The music wasn't bad, tho.

V/H/S: not a bad little anthology flick, although the final segment was the best, and the frame story could have gone away. Ti West underwhelmed this time around.

Additional Spam:
For the record: I don't think the tits in Lords of Salem would be a plus even if you enjoyed them in a heterosexual manner.

Most amazing jew boots
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.

Last edited by wvlfpvp; Aug 12, 2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:58 AM #327 of 352
Holy shit, The Innkeepers. More Ti West goodness, this time exploring a classic ghost film with some nice comedy elements (the bit where she was throwing the trash away was some of the funniest shit that I've seen in a long time from something that didn't explicitly label itself a comedy.) Also extremely intense where it needed to be, and some fantastic sound design bringing the creepy.

As a follow up to previous V/H/S 2. Much better frame story, not least because they weren't horrifyingly asshole kids, and the sequence with the cult was completely insane, although it did get a little narm-y. "Sleepover Party Alien Abduction" was the worst of the lot, this time. I didn't like the movie as a whole, but the aformentioned cult segment was worth the price of admission alone.

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2014, 02:36 PM #328 of 352
Agreed on Innkeepers. Its an adorable little movie with horror/comedy/quaint elements to it. Caught me by surprise to be honest. I kept expecting it to be a prank from her friend.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2014, 03:31 PM #329 of 352
EXACTLY. Also, did you see the ghost at the very end? As another note, I love how its R rating is earned for reasons horror flicks used to be R-rated: fucking scary, without a bunch of swearing or explicit violence (I recommended it to my mother for that reason, as she likes the genre, but not its excesses). And I like gorn.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by wvlfpvp; Sep 3, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:34 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2014, 10:34 PM #330 of 352
This week I watched Pacific Rim on Bluray and Fury at an actual cinema.

Pacific Rim is very silly and chock full of plot holes (Forever they can't get through the dimensional rift thing but somehow when they get through their radio still works being just one but an especially grating one) but it's fun enough if you like big mechs and who doesn't like mechs, right?

Fury is pretty awesome actually. I mean, there's not actually a plot and basically none of the main characters can act or at least their character is the same as in every other film they've respectively been in but the setting is gritty as fuck, the tank combat is brutal and tanks are great, possibly better than mechs. Plus it's a good reference source for anyone who paints model tanks. If you like watching nazis getting shot to pieces and you like tanks (and frankly who doesn't?) then it's worth a look.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2014, 02:32 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2014, 03:32 PM #331 of 352
I just watched The Guest after hearing good things. It's fucking awesome. It's kind of like Drive without taking itself seriously. Campy and has a killer soundtrack. The trailer is pretty much spoiler-free.

YouTube Video

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by nabhan; Nov 15, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2014, 02:45 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2014, 08:45 PM #332 of 352
I just watched the trailer for Star Wars 7.

Stupid cross guard lightsaber confirmed real.

I am disappoint.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2014, 03:21 PM 1 #333 of 352
So I marathoned my way through Supernatural to be ready to watch it as it's airing this season, and it's not a bad background noise while doing other work show. I really only paid full attention to season openers, midpoints, and enders. Also, the fact that Booger plays the Metatron made me super happy. Even though he turned into a giant bag of dicks like every angel in the series. Yay Deism!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:47 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2014, 05:47 PM #334 of 352
Okay, Interstellar.

Spoiler:
Without the corny over-emphasis on love - MORE POWERFUL THAN SPACE AND TIME - and had it ended after the tesseract sequence, amongst a few other niggling things, this film would have been much better. But I am going to forgive it for its sins because the acting, the overall tone, the visuals, the fucking spectacular soundtrack, all hit me like a tonne of bricks and I was emotionally exhausted by the end of it. It is, if nothing else, one hell of a ride. I would also like to give everyone involved major kudos for the accuracy of the known science used, such as the spherical wormhole, relativity etc. It was explained succinctly and well enough that a layperson such as myself could understand it, but I did see the film with a physicist and he didn't get nerd rage from it, so it must be alright.

Overall, a thumbs up.

Also tonight I'm going to see 2001 on the big screen, excited much!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Bernard Black; Dec 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2014, 09:16 PM #335 of 352
Watched Let the right one in. It's a Swedish vampire movie based on a book with the same name. There is also an American remake called Let me in. I'm not very much into vampires (outside of Castlevania), but this was a really brooding and thought provoking movie. It didn't go for the usual vampire tropes and focused on a relationship that was truly genuine and heartfelt. I strongly recommend. It's on Netflix for those interested.

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:32 PM #336 of 352
I saw Snowpiercer on Netflix Instant and I have to say... holy shit. There's flaws but yet I really like this movie. It'll stay home with me for sure for a long time.

Tawnee Van Pelt
Everybody Hertz

Member 227

Level 23.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:55 AM Local time: Dec 15, 2014, 11:55 PM #337 of 352
Watched Let the right one in. It's a Swedish vampire movie based on a book with the same name. There is also an American remake called Let me in. I'm not very much into vampires (outside of Castlevania), but this was a really brooding and thought provoking movie. It didn't go for the usual vampire tropes and focused on a relationship that was truly genuine and heartfelt. I strongly recommend. It's on Netflix for those interested.
I have watched the original first and then the American one. I think the remake is very faithful to the original and I'd strongly recommend watching any of them.

I don't like vampire fiction in general, but this one (Let the right one in) has an incredible atmosphere and a very interesting premise. It's a must watch if you're looking for a foreign film that has all the right elements in the right places.

Keeping in the topic of foreign media, I recently watched a French TV serial called Les Revenants or The Returned. It's from 2012, very short (8 episodes) with a planned second season. There's an American remake in the works, and another American show with a very similar premise (it's called Resurrection) but please avoid those and stick to the original.

Yes, it is a show where people who has been dead for a while return to life, it's not the most original premise out there but the execution is fantastic. Every episode feels important and while it's short, the story arc comes to a full circle and feels complete and conclusive. Grab a torrent and enjoy it, if you're in for some mystery, no filler episodes, an awesome soundtrack and beautiful French landscapes, Les Revenants is for you.

Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Returned

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Tawnee Van Pelt; Dec 16, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:09 AM #338 of 352
Keeping up with the trend of watching one movie per a night, I finally saw Wolf on Wall Street. I thought it was... hilarious and alright. But I gotta say, Jonah Hill really fucking shone in this movie. He was the BEST WASP I have ever seen.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:03 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2014, 09:03 AM 1 #339 of 352
I think he was playing a Jew.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:49 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 PM #340 of 352
[QUOTE=Tawnee Van Pelt;824935]Keeping in the topic of foreign media, I recently watched a French TV serial called Les Revenants or The Returned./QUOTE]

I started watching this when it was first on but never really got on with it, it went a bit slow for me. Maybe I'll give it another go.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2015, 02:27 AM #341 of 352
I've been watching a lot of stuff lately, but two movies I stumbled across on Netflix this week stood out.

It's Such a Beautiful Day:
This shot to the top of my list once I noticed it was from the guy who made Rejected. It has the same bizarre, experimental feel to its animation and humor, but attached to a deeply depressing story. It's divided up into three 20 minute "chapters" that were originally three separate shorts that all run together naturally. Basically, watch this if you liked Rejected and want to feel really sad while laughing.

In Your Eyes:
There's nothing too special about this one as far as romance movies go (aside from the leads being telepathically linked), but I still liked it a lot even though I don't normally go for stuff like this. I found out afterward that it was written by Joss Whedon, which is surprising since it didn't have his usual snappy dialogue patterns. The two leads were enjoyable, and that's really all that matters with this sort of thing.

As for new TV:

Black Mirror:
Now that I've finished both seasons I think the only weak episodes were the two season finales. Episode 3 was just... bad. Nobody in it was the least bit likeable and I could easily see it playing out exactly the same way without the technology involved. Episode 6 was okay with an interesting idea, but I just couldn't see the technology going nearly as far out of control as the ending suggested.

The rest of the episodes were great, especially episode 4. Some of them reminded me a lot of the 90's Outer Limits series whenever they did a technology-based episode. I haven't watched the Christmas special yet.

The 100:
I don't think it's even possible for Kane to un-arch his left eyebrow. He's trapped forever in questioning mode, speaking to people by looking back over his shoulder as often as he can. That man is a hero.

Also, a bunch of kids get speared/hanged/shot/stabbed.

Tawnee Van Pelt
Everybody Hertz

Member 227

Level 23.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:32 AM Local time: Jan 19, 2015, 12:32 AM #342 of 352
Originally Posted by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
I started watching this when it was first on but never really got on with it, it went a bit slow for me. Maybe I'll give it another go.
Yeah, I believe it's worth it.

I watched The Inkeepers based on recommendations on this thread and I also watched The House of the Devil by Ti West. I do appreciate the atmosphere that The House of the Devil had, the characters and the build up was great, didn't like the ending though. As for The Innkeepers, well, I couldn't connect with the story or the characters.

However... Diggin' on the filmography of this director led me to the movies of Adam Wingard. The first one is You're next. Man, what I ride. I loved it from beginning to end, it's a horror/trhiller that feels so fresh and captivating. I don't think that there's much room for spoilers, it doesn't really deviate from the common topics of those genres, but it certainly gives a fresh breath to them.

After watching it I had to search for The Guest, his movie from last year. A stylish thriller that will certainly resonate with you if you have already watched and loved Drive (I mean, who doesn't?). Great use of soundtrack, nice build up and suspense and great acting. Watch both of them, they were a great start for my year in movies.

Last edited by Tawnee Van Pelt; Jan 19, 2015 at 01:35 AM.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:05 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2015, 09:05 PM #343 of 352
We just got through watching the first two series of The Following and it's great. It's like 24 only with Kevin Bacon and a higher body count. It does get a touch predictable and I did find myself shouting at the screen a couple of times when the characters made the same, dumb mistake the fifth time and literally everyone gets stabbed in the stomach which is a terrible way to kill someone but that aside, it really is a great show.

FELIPE NO
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Feb 4, 2015, 06:43 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2015, 07:43 PM #344 of 352
Wrote a big ass thing below but here is the tl;dr:

I'm almost done watching Borgia (French one from Canal+ on Netflix, not The Borgias on Showtime), and it really impressed me. A period piece with a very rich subject matter set in Italy during the Renaissance. If you enjoy historical political intrigues/dramas, do watch it.

Spoiler:

I'd noticed Borgia on Netflix many times and almost watched a few times and then dismissed it, and then one day being extremely bored I decided to give it a go.

Turns out I've enjoyed it more thoroughly than just about anything I've watched in recent memory. It can be a bit hard to get into at first for anyone used to bigger budget productions (like the American version apparently), and for the fact that the cast is very international, which makes it odd at first in terms of everyone having a different accent. The prime example of this and in my mind the worst offender is the actor who plays Rodrigo Borgia, who is just about the only person with a thick American accent and plays the main role in the setup of the story (aka season 1). His acting isn't all that bad, but man that accent is ridiculous in this setting. In the end, I guess what I drove into my head was that they aren't speaking Italian as they should anyway, and that helped it become a non-issue for me.

If you can get over these few gripes though, it is really worth a watch, especially if you are interested in period pieces. The Renaissance has no shortage of famous artists and statesmen, and the blend here is what allows you to get transported into the subject matter. For example, Leonardo Da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli, who had known and, in the case of Da Vinci, been in the employ of Cesare Borgia, have supporting roles in the story. Josquin des Prés, a well-known music composer, is portrayed teaching Lucrezia Borgia the harp, and one of his most famous pieces for choir (Mille Regrets) is given a rendition on the harp in the show.

On the other hand, the show is also quite liberal in it's use of sex and violence, but it's nothing that should really phase anyone who's watched Game of Thrones or any other similar show, and gratuitousness has become a rather common trait in television anyway. The executions in particular are quite imaginative, and whether these are historically accurate becomes irrelevant when you remember that in the end the point is that these were commonplace public events, and that the general mentality of the age accepted this as part of life.

All of this is makes the show enjoyable and fits the subject matter well. Everyone in the show is a self-serving a-hole, and anyone who tries to act in a virtuous or moral way ends up taking it in the ass for it, sometimes quite literally. Family is always number one, and anyone who betrays this usually ends up paying for it as well. The show's central characters (the Borgia family) evolve quite a bit over the three seasons of the show, but rarely does this cause a lack of consistency. But in the end it is the historically notorious Cesare who, in my opinion, really drives the narrative and makes the show great, especially starting towards the end of the first season.

My favorite moment from the show below for those who have watched it already:
Spoiler:
Even though it was quite cheesy, I almost started cheering when Cesare is being prosecuted by Niccolo Machiavelli under pope Julius' influence, and after his change of heart brought upon by his discussion with Alessandro during the recess, his closing argument is literally an extract from The Prince. Actually for most of the show Machiavelli is probably one of the more unreadable characters, true to the actual debate that has lasted since he wrote his stuff, even if they did make him come out on Cesare's side in the end. I had reread the chapters on Cesare in the book the night before, as my first read of it years ago hadn't yielded enough of a lasting impression for me to remember most of it. It sort of encompassed the series for me, in terms of it trying to stay just close enough to history while embellishing mostly when it would truly have an impact. /remnants-of-an-arts-student-geek-out

Juggle dammit
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:51 PM #345 of 352
I saw a recommendation yesterday and I had it on queue for a while. I was in the mood for some horror so I bumped it up and watched it yesterday. I thought the title was silly but whatever.

Triangle blew me away. If you guys enjoyed Time Crimes, you'll definitely fucking love Triangle. Its not so much about horror as it is about time/dimensional travel. Its fucking neat. I do see holes here and there but whatever, its enjoyable pleasant surprise for me as the genre shifted from horror to time travel.

I also saw Maleficent and I absolutely LOVE Jolie in this. The twist made me love this movie. What I didn't appreciate was their "PG" go at this. I wished for more and I realized this is still a "children" movie of sorts. Still, its a brilliant retake on Sleeping Beauty classic.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Philia; Feb 22, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:26 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2015, 05:26 PM #346 of 352
Just watched 7 Days which is a French horror film (Sept jours du talion) about a dude who tortures the guy who's killed his daughter. As with most French horror it is far from uplifting but is a decent movie.

Also the other day we watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's a nu-school Marvel movie, they're all much of a muchness. Terrible acting, silly story, plot holes you could drive a bus through and "Twists" that a retarded child could spot a mile away (Oh wow, he's alive, never saw that coming! Oh wow, the person you specifically mentioned three times at the beginning of the film turns out to be significant later on! And so forth...) but nevertheless it is enjoyable in a mindless way and if you've watched a few of them, you might as well watch all of them eh?

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2015, 04:59 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2015, 10:59 PM #347 of 352
In the last week I have watched The Interview and The Amazing Spider Man 2.

The Interview was better than a lot of people have made out. It's far from being the best film ever but there are some laugh out loud moments in it and it's worth watching if you want a dumb comedy.

Spider Man on the other hand is fucking terrible and the first time in a long, long time that I've not managed to watch a film through to the end. It's like an episode of Dawson's Creek with a better effects budget. The acting is terrible, the script is terrible, the editing is terrible, the characters are shoe-horned in and it's literally one of the worst films I've seen in years. I've not actually watched the first one and off the back of this I won't bother.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2015, 06:25 PM #348 of 352
Yeah, the Interview wasn't bad. It was pretty dumb but hilarious.

I saw Nymphomaniac and well... I enjoyed it. I was intrigued the whole time and of course I've seen and heard of other movies and how assholish this director is. Still doesn't stop me from watching this. The whole conversation ride with Skarsgard was definitely bullshit retelling and unrealistic banter but I enjoyed it nonetheless though.

Anyway with that said, I'm beginning to like this one above all of his other movies. Some people will bash it as a piece of bad porno, I don't see it that way. I'm sure with so much tripe, everyone will have varying pieces of opinions of why they hate it and why they love it lol. So to be honest, I honestly don't know why I like it.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:38 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2015, 07:38 PM #349 of 352
Watched The Expendables 3 yesterday. It's as dumb as the others but if anything, not quite dumb enough. The first one was great because it was a collection of 80's action heroes in a mindless action film blowing shit up. The second was great because it was the same thing only full of tongue in cheek cameos and references to other films the cast had been in. The third takes itself a touch too seriously, attempts a plot, has a bunch of kids nobody has heard of in it and fails to make a single Lethal Weapon or Mad Max joke, despite having Mel Gibson in it. Arnie shouting "GET TO THE CHOPPER" wasn't quite enough. That said, there were a lot of explosions and a lot of people getting shot and Harrison Ford wasn't awful (Wesley Snipes was). Watch it with a beer and with the colume turned up to ludicrous.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:17 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2015, 05:17 PM #350 of 352
Just watched the remake of Robocop. As remakes of great films goes it's actually not bad! Has some good robot action and basically is the movie version of Metal Gear Revengance, only without swords. Or ninjas. Worth a look despite this.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?