Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. They should go back and steal the horrible zombie plot

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:51 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2009, 07:51 PM #26 of 54
Has anybody pre-ordered the game yet? I honestly can't decide where to do so, but mostly because all the pre-order bonuses kinda suck (golden guns are meh, treasure map video will be on youtube/torrent sites within a day, and early access to the demo is pretty useless since it's still just a demo (i.e. none of the stats carry over to the main game)). In all likelihood I'll probably end up going with Amazon just because it's the cheapest option of the three, though that could change if Best Buy or TRU ends up having some kind of deal.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:18 AM Local time: Sep 15, 2009, 07:18 AM #27 of 54
Yeah, I've pre-ordered it, but then the options of place were slightly different over here in the UK. I went for the version that comes in a steelbook case, with the golden guns, extra MP skins and what-not. I pretty much went with that because there was a voucher that meant I could get it practically the same price as the normal version and because of the steelbook case.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jin
Syklis Green

Member 383

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:49 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2009, 08:49 PM #28 of 54
I pre-ordered from bestbuy for the golden guns. The other stores have pretty good pre-order bonuses, but I went with bestbuy since I like their bonus the best.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:36 AM #29 of 54
I went with Amazon. None of the preorder bonuses are all that great, but after a couple of coupons, promotions, and such, preordering the game for $48.50 is something I'm not complaining about.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2009, 07:46 AM #30 of 54
Haven't even played the first one. It was one of those games I put aside until I was ready to play it, and since I got my ps3 a considerable amount of time after the game came out I was hoping for a price drop but alas it didn't happen until recently here in the US.
Since I'm intrigued with uncharted 2 I guess now is a good a time as any to get the game since I'm in no hurry about pre-orders and whatnot. Although, other than 3 characters from the previous game, it doesn't looks like I need to know much about part 1 in order to play part 2.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

New Record!
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:30 PM #31 of 54
So... Uncharted 2 currently has a Metacritic score of a 98...

Good start, though I figured it'd be good after playing the first one.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:33 AM #32 of 54
I finished the first one and loved it. The scenes were very movie like but they weren't long at all that it distracted from the gameplay.
The ending was a bit too hollywood happy but a good game nonetheless.

Also downloaded the multiplayer demo, tried a deathmatch and found that a lot of people were using mics which I found annoying.
First game I joined it was already a filled room, turns out you have to vote between 2 stages for the next match and I was the tie breaker. I picked the first stage because obviously if it was my first time, I don't know the stages. Some idiot says, "What! The temple? Why'd you pick that? What a noob, doesn't even know the stages, only noobs pick the temple."
This genius went on jabbering it up through out the entire match not only that but it turned out you get matched with people around your level because my team was getting murdered and I was one of the top players and it was my first time playing.
I left Deathmatch alone after that trying to ignore annoyances.

Co-op on the other hand is very fun, I only played with one other player and I don't know if we can play a 4 player co-op in the demo but if it's possible it would be great fun.

How ya doing, buddy?

New Record!
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:12 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2009, 08:12 AM #33 of 54
I haven't got around to the demo yet, but I know it does feature co-op (it's only three player though, even in the full game) since it's essentially just a bigger version of the beta released earlier.

And yeah, there are always gonna be douchebags in these types of games. Nothing you can really do but ignore them, but I definitely wouldn't let them stop me from playing a game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:15 PM #34 of 54
Shenlon, you can always push X in the lobby and do Mute All or choose which player to mute if that ever happen again.

I always mute all since I don't play with mike and I found it annoying to hear everyone coming from my TV speaker.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dobby
The sun-kissed slope

Member 4519

Level 8.40

Apr 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:23 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2009, 12:23 PM #35 of 54
I tried the demo, It looks magnificent. I'm still playing the first one so I shall ahve to wait until I finish that before moving onwards.

Do you folks know if it will be "forced" multiplayer/co-op when playing the game?

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:22 PM #36 of 54
I actually just bought a PS3 yesterday, and was considering picking up Uncharted. I didn't, but now that I've played the demo for Among Thieves, I think I definitely will next time I'm out.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:55 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2009, 04:55 PM #37 of 54
Do you folks know if it will be "forced" multiplayer/co-op when playing the game?
No, the story mode is still single player only. All the multiplayer stuff, including co-op, is separate from that.

Dobby
The sun-kissed slope

Member 4519

Level 8.40

Apr 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:56 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2009, 02:56 PM #38 of 54
No, the story mode is still single player only. All the multiplayer stuff, including co-op, is separate from that.
Whew, thats somewhat of a relief. Though thinking back, Resident Evil 5 had the capabilities and it worked quite well too

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:54 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2009, 05:54 PM #39 of 54
Will the coop objective missions be more than 15 minutes? Cause in the demo they abruptly ended it after defeating the big guy with the gattling gun, before even finding the treasure Drake mentioned at the start of it.

Also, how many waves is the Gold Rush (Co-op Arena) mode? The highest I've gotten is wave 7, but found myself getting stuck at 6 most of the time. Those gattling gun guys are really annoying, and keep respawning too.

And regarding mic users, in one game there was one person who had their speakers blasted up so high that the game's sound effects were getting fed back into the mic. Resulting in an annoying echo effect, the guy wasn't even using it talk either.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:13 AM #40 of 54
I tried doing Co-op arena but it doesn't give the option to create that type of game, just normal co-op.
I'd rather invite some friends because when I joined some random people they gave up almost right away for some reason, they kinda sucked but I thought we were doing well.
I have yet to play the co-op fully with three players so if any of you see me online send an invite or something or maybe we can just have a GFF deathmatch.

Most amazing jew boots

New Record!
Dobby
The sun-kissed slope

Member 4519

Level 8.40

Apr 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 12:05 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 09:05 AM #41 of 54
Oooh, I'm down. whats your PSN name?

My biggest beef thus far is how teams are set up, its always been "highest levels" vs "lowest levels" which is somewhat of a killjoy as most of the games I've played ended up with the lower levels (myself included) getting crushed.

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:55 PM #42 of 54
For those of you who enjoy the video reviews on Gametrailers, they just released their review of Uncharted 2.

And it's a long one - ten minutes.

For those of you who only care about scores, though:
Spoiler:
They gave it a 9.3/10

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:35 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 11:35 PM #43 of 54
I tried doing Co-op arena but it doesn't give the option to create that type of game, just normal co-op.
I'd rather invite some friends because when I joined some random people they gave up almost right away for some reason, they kinda sucked but I thought we were doing well.
It should be there, I remember seeing it when I was doing a private party with my friend. Machinima mode (the video recording mode) is pretty neat to fool around in too, you can get a good idea of what the maps are like and where/what the weapons are like too.

I had got a pretty good game last night with randoms in Gold Rush on the Village map. We actually made it to the 10th level/wave, but couldn't beat it (got really crazy, armored shotgun guys, gattling gun guys, snipers, chokers). Probably one of the best coop games I had. Everyone stuck close to each and backed up the other when they were in trouble (eg. choked, or getting flanked).

Oh, and kinda off topic, but for any Canadians looking for a Dual Shock 3 controller, Toy'r'us is having a huge sale selling the DS3 for $30 (plus some other stuff, like ODST for $60)! Bring the flyer to a Best Buy or Future Shop and you'll save an additional $2.50 (they match it plus 10% the difference)! Great timing too, as my current DS3's R2 button is loose as hell from DMC4 (Nero's Red Queen revving destroyed it).

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:06 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2009, 12:06 AM #44 of 54
My brother saw copies of this game in our local Futureshop but I was with friends earlier so no hard evidence. Am deeply skeptical unless proven otherwise.

And tried the demo. Liked it to bits but this won't be a first-day purchase. Probably a month or two later.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:37 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2009, 05:37 AM #45 of 54
Just finished it. Big improvement on the first one, I enjoyed it for the most part (I didn't enjoy 1). It's still marred by the same issues and poor design choices as the first one (namely the floaty movement and reliance on arena shootouts with enemies coming in waves), so that was disappointing. Pretty much all the new characters are completely unlikeable and don't hold a candle to the returning cast.

And there is a terrible boss fight waiting for all adventurers at the end. Just a fair warning.

As for the rest, it certainly looks the part, the music (while occasionally kicking in an ominous tune when nothing bad is even close to happening) is cinematic and there are a number of action setpieces that border on brilliant. They just sweep you off, keep you playing and when the game is at its best, you don't care or notice any of the flaws.

So yeah, don't believe too much of the hype and set too high expectations. It's a riproaring action-adventure with production values, great cast and inspired sequences, but it's still an average shooter with glitches, poor AI and occasionally frustrating platforming and instant deaths, just like the rest of them.

Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Oct 10, 2009, 03:59 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2009, 09:59 AM #46 of 54
Been messing around with the multiplayer demo this past week or so, having a ton of fun =) (except for my slow connection but oh welly). I'm sad they took out the seperate controls for look controls and aiming controls...I'm weird and like mine switched ;_;. Will definitely pick this up soon along with 2 or 3 other games I've been meaning to play. If anything though, Uncharted looks like a great time in that action game, quick kind of way and the multiplayer looks like something I might go back to so yeah, exciting!

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:08 AM #47 of 54
I tried out the mulitplayer some more and every time I did someone always says something like "oh look at all the newbs", not joking.
Still fun but the matchmaking is a peace of crap. I don't know about anyone else but pairing levels 1-7 against levels 25-50 isn't fair.

FELIPE NO

New Record!
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:42 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2009, 10:42 AM #48 of 54
I learned to mute the people in the multiplayer so fast, and then it made the game much better. That said, despite the horrible matchmaking (Level 1 and Level 42...eh?) I've been having a ton of fun with the multiplayer. The objective based modes are fun except that most games of chain reaction end within about 2 minutes and with how long it takes it find a game, that's a bit of a letdown. Is it simply first to capture all of the points on the map or what?

How many maps is the game shipping with out of curiosity?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:19 AM #49 of 54
I am enjoying the crap out of the single player, it's really hard to stop playing because I just want to see the next cinematic moment.
Haven't checked out how many maps there are in multiplayer since I want to run through single player first.

2nd chapter
Spoiler:

The stealth sequence in the game isn't as hard as reviewers made it out to seem, as long as you know the takedowns it'll be cake. I was able to do it on my second try on normal.

New Record!
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:26 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2009, 03:26 PM #50 of 54
It's certainly not hard, it's just poor and annoying. It felt like I was back to playing Stolen. Luckily the game picks up quite a bit from there.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. They should go back and steal the horrible zombie plot