Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Cross Edge - Idea Factory x Gust x Capcom x Nippon Ichi x Namco x I JUST CAME

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 04:07 AM Local time: May 7, 2008, 12:07 PM #1 of 45
Cross Edge - Idea Factory x Gust x Capcom x Nippon Ichi x Namco x I JUST CAME

The mother of all weeaboo games is coming to da triple. I guess it's supposed to be a kind of spiritual sequel to Namco x Capcom, but holy shit we can only pray they offer english text option in the game as this sure isn't getting a local release.

Or miracles do happen and maybe Disgaea DS is such a massive hit that they'll think Amerikka loves the Etna.

DISCUSS AND SALIVATE

(further translations of the article are welcome)

EDIT:
oh ok so NOW I get to do fancy copy-pasta

Quote:
New PS3 JRPG scheduled for September '08 release
Development is about 70% done atm

Collaboration between Idea Factory, Gust, Bandai-Namco, Capcom, Nippon Ichi, and Compile Heart. Compile Heart's Agarest Senki staff is leading the development.

Story:
Main character(s? not sure if you choose one or the other or stuck with both) wakes up in a disorienting screwed up world alongside other characters who don't belong there. The world they wake up in survives and evolves by devouring souls from other realms/worlds. If nothing is done, the worlds from which the souls are being stolen from, will cease to exist...and so starts the story.

Worlds:
There are 2 worlds that are known thus far. The Underworld which consists of souls from Vampire/Darkstalker and Disgaea, and the Dreamworld which consists of souls from Ar Tonelico and Marie's Atelier. Each world has dungeon(s?). Sounds like your goal is to free the souls which don't belong in your realm.

Battle System:
Each charater is alloted action points (AP) and can attack during your turn repeatedly until your AP is used up. You can chain attacks which result in combos which ultimately result in increased damage. Sounds somewhat similar to a modified Ar Tonelico 2's battle system (which was time limited rather than AP, but chaining combos helps increase your harmonics level which resulted in increased damage or something).

Form Change:
As you save more souls from this world, the female characters have the ability to obtain equipable "forms" which increase stats, abilities, and what not. This sounds similar to obtaining costumes from completing cosmosphere levels in ar tonelico I/II.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 7, 2008 at 04:23 AM.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 05:46 AM Local time: May 7, 2008, 11:46 AM #2 of 45
Nice. Shame I haven't played more than half of the source material. I never feel like I can enjoy a game like this unless I've played the source material thoroughly. Otherwise I'll be missing all the references... and the references are kinda the point.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 06:17 AM Local time: May 7, 2008, 09:17 PM #3 of 45
Idea Factory. Everything else = <3 I hope Klonoa's in it, it's probably the only hope he's got!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 06:49 AM Local time: May 7, 2008, 12:49 PM 1 #4 of 45
Ahh, yeah. I don't like to judge their entire output based on what I've played, but that game (Spectral Souls, PSP) was appalling. The loading times alone killed the experience, and then the dialogue kicked the unmoving corpse of the experience in the testicles.

Most amazing jew boots
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 10:09 AM #5 of 45
Looks a lot like a supped up Chaos Wars. I'd hit it if it will be localized (Just for Gust and NIP). Too bad I don't have a ps3.

Wait, so it is Idea Factory publishing it?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by valiant; May 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM.
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 11:11 AM #6 of 45
Man they had to start with the age of cross-over games now.
Still waiting for Chaos Wars at this point, and importing this game if they don't release it over.

Most amazing jew boots
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 11:33 AM #7 of 45
Holy Shit. I never saw a cross over of this nature happening in my life time. I now have a solid enough reason to get a PS3 now. Just the thought of seeing Laharal and/or Zetta and Dimitri doing a team attack of sorts is drool worthy. On the namco side I wouldn't mind some Tales of characters and some Druaga as well.

If chaos wars actually got a publisher (and an unlikely one at that) I think this has some hope though seeing how Capcom and Namco kept CXN from the states, I wonder if they'll keep NIS from localizing it.

FELIPE NO
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 01:48 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 10:48 AM #8 of 45
This is interesting. I'd also guess that this would be a good method to spread out the otherwise expensive initial costs PS3 development for these smaller companies to start making their own PS3 RPGs. While Compile Hearts is leading the development, from the look of it each company is providing their own assets rather than just licensing out their IPs for the game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 02:16 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 12:16 PM #9 of 45
What gives you the feeling that this is more than just licensing?

How ya doing, buddy?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 02:37 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 11:37 AM #10 of 45
The assets being shown so far are showing their unique style from each company. Either they have a really good tracer or these companies at the very least are tossing their own artwork into the mix.

Also the statement that Compile Heart is leading development over handling development suggests that its an asset collaboration. Plus if I was decision maker of one of these companies and I was putting my name and money into the project I would at the very least want to take advantage of this and give my team some PS3 programming experience in this project and every one of these companies has either made a game for the PS3 or has expressed interest in doing so.

Also Japanese company collaborations like these generally involve a lot more than just licensing especially considering the history of the smaller companies included in this collaboration. Some of these smaller guys have been talking about forming a keiretsu(a type of corporate collaboration unique to Japan) for a while now to deal with the rising costs of game development.

Obviously these are just observations. I have no idea if any of this is really going on.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 06:38 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 04:38 PM 2 #11 of 45
Namco X Capcom fell way short of the hype, so meh, nothing about this is standing out as too awesome yet. So far it just kinda sounds like a spot-on average RPG to me.
*Shrug*

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 08:48 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 08:48 PM #12 of 45
I doubt we're gonna get this... =[ There was a 3D Strategy RPG that had Shadow Hearts characters in it amid others. SHADOW HEARTS. And we didn't get it I doubt we'll get this...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 7, 2008, 08:51 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 06:51 PM #13 of 45
I wouldn't be too hurt over the loss, Gech.

Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old May 7, 2008, 09:07 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 08:07 PM #14 of 45
So... Who has Xenosaga rights?, Monolith or Namco?... Without KOS-MOS, it's kinda meh.

Heh... just kidding, but any details about the characters?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2008, 09:22 PM Local time: May 7, 2008, 08:22 PM #15 of 45
Namco.

I'd be very surprised if she didn't make it in again, honestly.

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 12:09 AM Local time: May 7, 2008, 10:09 PM #16 of 45
I doubt we're gonna get this... =[ There was a 3D Strategy RPG that had Shadow Hearts characters in it amid others. SHADOW HEARTS. And we didn't get it I doubt we'll get this...
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, since that game with the Shadow Hearts characters (Chaos Wars) is coming over next month.

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 12:38 AM #17 of 45
So... Who has Xenosaga rights?, Monolith or Namco?... Without KOS-MOS, it's kinda meh.

Heh... just kidding, but any details about the characters?
Seriously, KOS-MOS was one giant can of rape in Namco X Capcom. Thanks to the combo system, she could just spam FG Shot and get in about double the amount of attacks that anyone else can.

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 01:34 AM #18 of 45
I wouldn't doubt Kos-Mos showing up in this. If she is in Mugen No Frontier, I don't have any doubts of her showing up yet again in another game (especially if Namco is involved in a crossover title)

Last edited by valiant; May 8, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 02:12 AM Local time: May 8, 2008, 05:12 PM #19 of 45
Eh...I'm intrigued by this but I'm awfully skeptical. Sucks it's for PS3, 'cause if the reviews and feedback for this is good, and if it was for the PS2, I might dish out the necessary cash. Looking at those scans in the op, I'm sure this'll be many Japanese teen's dreams made true in a single game. Very successful games are encompassed here. (Namco and Idea Factory I'm not so sure~ But the other three are tops!)

The graphics seem sweet, including the backgrounds, which look sweet x2.5. Oh and Marie (of Atelier Marie fame) seems to have been adequately skankified. Well done, Cross Edge. Well done. =/

Spoiler:

^^ The original Marie. One of the more conservative shots of her, I'll admit, but still. Acceptable~

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 02:23 AM #20 of 45
^ Can't win over those Japanese Teen fans without fanservice huh?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 06:53 AM #21 of 45
If nothing else, this and Disgaea 3 are probably going to be the driving force for me getting a PS3. This looks like fucking amazing. Sounds pretty close to Chaos Wars on the PS2, but this one's not a strategy. If only Atlus had some characters in the mix. things would be perfect.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
horseman85
Piano noob

Member 4561

Level 13.38

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 07:12 AM #22 of 45
If you're talking about Chaos Wars, Wikipedia and Gamespot has it pegged as coming to North America on June 3rd of this year.

Chaos Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chaos Wars for PS2 - Chaos Wars Playstation 2 - Chaos Wars PS2 Game

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 07:57 AM #23 of 45
If you're talking about Chaos Wars, Wikipedia and Gamespot has it pegged as coming to North America on June 3rd of this year.

Chaos Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chaos Wars for PS2 - Chaos Wars Playstation 2 - Chaos Wars PS2 Game
Initially it was suppose to be like a week from now for release, and then came the announcement that pushed back

Most amazing jew boots
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 8, 2008, 09:11 AM Local time: May 8, 2008, 10:11 PM 1 #24 of 45
^ Can't win over those Japanese Teen fans without fanservice huh?
Dude did you see the size of those melons on the Capcom characters

I mean, they've always been like that but still, rabid Japanese Teen fans hyuk hyuk

Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2008, 06:54 PM Local time: May 10, 2008, 08:54 PM #25 of 45
Better screenshot from the scan. I haven't played Ar Tonelico 2 but isn't this VP battle system? Tri-Ace is gonna be so maaaad...

Capcom + VP batlle system = Do want!

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Cross Edge - Idea Factory x Gust x Capcom x Nippon Ichi x Namco x I JUST CAME