Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Cross Edge - Idea Factory x Gust x Capcom x Nippon Ichi x Namco x I JUST CAME

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2008, 08:35 PM Local time: May 10, 2008, 08:35 PM #26 of 45
Had no clue that Chaos Wars was slated for US release. It came out a long time back and I didn't hear a thing, nor did the thread get bumped =O Hmm

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2008, 06:47 PM #27 of 45
Remember this game? No? What a shame. Well, rumor mills are picking up speed, and the latest is that we'll be seeing this Weeaboo-fest coming stateside.

Originally Posted by Siliconera
Cross Edge / X Edge looks like a licensing mess. It has Darkstalkers from Capcom, Reyvateils from Ar Tonelico which is now under the guise of Namco Bandai, various Gust characters from the Atelier series, and Etna from Nippon Ichi. Yikes. This is a bigger debacle than Chaos Wars, but somehow that got localized with hilariously awful voice acting. Apparently, Cross Edge is too. A trusted inside source tells me Cross Edge will see a US release by a company “we (i.e. Siliconera) know very well”.
Pretty awesome, seeing as how importing this thing would not only require knowledge of moonrunes but also cost you a cool $80. I'll be sure to get it because I am a massive weeaboo faggot, provided that this rumor comes to pass.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 20, 2008, 06:55 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2008, 02:55 AM #28 of 45
They'd definitely have the space for dual audio this time. If this gets translated, I'm buying it right away. It will be the second PS3 title that I will actually buy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:58 AM #29 of 45
What's the last time they didn't have space for dual audio?

Either way, if this does come out, I will seriously have to consider buying a PS3. I need 3 games I want to really justify the purchase. Disgaea 3 is one of them. This may very well be the second. A third game would make the deal.

And for all the hilarity of the Chaos Wars English track, I enjoyed playing it even without recognizing half the characters.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:14 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2009, 06:14 PM #30 of 45
The ESRB listed a rating for the game so it must be close to completion. Their description of the game cracked me up.

Quote:
Cross Edge

Platform: PlayStation 3

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Alcohol and Tobacco Reference, Language, Mild Fantasy Violence, Partial Nudity, Suggestive Themes

Rating summary: This is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) in which players control two central characters, York and Miko, on a mission to stop an evil villain from destroying the universe. Players use a variety of weapons (swords, axes, guns, bombs) and magic attacks to battle humans, mummies, ghosts, and mutant bees in turn-based combat. During the course of the game, players can encounter several characters that engage in sexual innuendo and suggestive dialogue: A character spies on women in a hot spring and remarks, "It's so steamy, I can hardly see the goods"; Female characters sometimes discuss breast size (e.g., "As you get bigger, those get bigger, too" and "Who needs big melons"); A female character comments on another woman's advances (e.g., "Are you coming on to me?). Several female characters have exaggerated breast size and wear low-cut tops that expose deep cleavage. Some unlockable picture galleries depict women wearing only towels, covering their breasts with their hands, or wearing narrow halter tops that obscure only portions of their breasts. One character's costume description references bourbon and beer, while another character is depicted holding a cigarette as part of her victory pose. Some profanity (e.g., "sh*t," "a*shole," "b*tch") can be heard in the dialogue.
Typical Japanese RPG

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:22 AM #31 of 45
I played the demo awhile back. The game is absolutely horrid. The combat is clunky, the sprites are low-res, and for a low-polygon sprite-based game the graphics still stutter.

Saved me $60, that demo did.

Edit: Also in before NISA breaks/half-asses it.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Taco; Mar 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: lol NISA
Heisho-Ryuu
- Item 2 -

Member 2989

Level 14.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:19 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2009, 03:19 AM #32 of 45
I saw a video on youtube and...
well, the battle system wasn't what I expected it's really slow compared to NxC and even to VP,which seems to be based from it (and for a moment I think I saw a Nibelung Valesti-like special move). I mean the battles take too long to finish and maybe making lots of hits with all the characters might be fun...at the beginning since doing that over and over can be frustrating (like NxC on further stages)
I haven't listened the soundtrack so I'm unable to give a comment of it.
I'll stick with the artwork (which I got it from somewhere else from a guy who ripped it from the site) since it's really good. The customes of the girls are really nice.
If the community is interested I'll repost with the art that I mentioned.
This is my humble opinion but maybe making this game on PS3 was too much, I think that on PS2 would have been much betteR.
Again this is my opinion based on videos on youtube and site as well.
**PUTS A FLAME SHIELD**

How ya doing, buddy?

~ For Everlasting Peace... ~

Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old May 28, 2009, 03:53 AM Local time: May 28, 2009, 12:53 AM #33 of 45
I've only played a tiny bit so far so no real comments yet. I'm going through with the English voice actors rather than Japanese(yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment). Main character is stereotypical rude hot head with a heart of gold. Right at the start you get him, the female lead, and Morrigan in your party. Marie(I'm guessing from an Atelier game that we never saw in the US) joins you almost right after the tutorial battle.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kirashi
Wark!

Member 33730

Level 1.34

May 2009

Old May 28, 2009, 11:21 AM #34 of 45
I think the best part of this game is actually the combat... It picks up a lot after the first 6-7 hours. The demo was a horrible attempt because of the they did not capture the essence of the battle system.
The fan service later on in the game actually got me a bit annoyed.
Also it's only 46$ instead of 60$ =P

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Talaysen
I'm busy at work!

Member 1252

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2009, 01:38 PM Local time: May 28, 2009, 01:38 PM #35 of 45
Marie is from (shockingly) Atelier Marie, so yeah, you're right.

Haven't got my copy yet. Hope it gets here soon.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2009, 10:18 PM Local time: May 28, 2009, 08:18 PM #36 of 45
Wait what. VP battle system?

Fuck it, I don't believe. Especially when Dizzy posted that screenshot eons ago; that battle system does not resemble VP AT ALL. What the fuck, guys.

Personally I think it's similar to Ar Tonelico's system which is oh god what the fuck is this crap.

Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old May 30, 2009, 03:03 PM Local time: May 30, 2009, 12:03 PM #37 of 45
Got to play a little bit more. You run into Lyner from Ar Tonelico almost right after getting Marie. Then you meet some of the villians. Well you find out what they're up to. They're all white/purple haired pretty boys and loli-girls. Well the ones you see anyways. You get a bunch of shadows as well, who are being sent to kill you. But they're all obviously characters from the various games(the Etna and Prinny shadows were pretty damn obvious) so I'm guessing it'll be a beat them and they join you sort of thing.

Then I run into Aurica, Misha, and Shurellia running from some enemies....who then completely and utterly demolish my party. Time for some heavy leveling up.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old May 30, 2009, 08:07 PM #38 of 45
Every video I'm watching of this game is of some battle. Can you actually walk in towns or is it just constant battles?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old May 31, 2009, 02:54 AM Local time: May 30, 2009, 11:54 PM #39 of 45
Based on what I've seen so far, just battles. The "town" so to speak is a couple of shops run by members of your party with Marie serving as an item/synthesis shop, Morrigan as your cleric to revive you from the dead, and a girl to scan for event areas. So far event areas have just been battles with no exploration involved. On the other hand I'm literally at the very beginning so this might change. I certainly hope so.

FELIPE NO
Talaysen
I'm busy at work!

Member 1252

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2009, 02:33 PM Local time: May 31, 2009, 02:33 PM #40 of 45
Then I run into Aurica, Misha, and Shurellia running from some enemies....who then completely and utterly demolish my party. Time for some heavy leveling up.
If you're having trouble with that fight, you're in for some REAL fun later. I hope you'd started learning how the synthesis/upgrade stuff works, because it helps a lot.

Are you playing on Normal or Hard? From what I've heard, Normal is decently difficult, and Hard is absolutely brutal (I can vouch for the latter at least).

And yeah, I've gotten to the second "town" and basically the towns and events have all been as you said so far.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old May 31, 2009, 07:08 PM Local time: May 31, 2009, 04:08 PM #41 of 45
Doing it on normal. And yeah, I'm upgrading my weapons and armor and synthesizing stuff while leveling. Up til that fight I had only done one random battle as things had been easy. So the sudden jump in enemy power caught me off guard. *L*

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Talaysen
I'm busy at work!

Member 1252

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:02 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2009, 02:02 PM #42 of 45
Doing it on normal. And yeah, I'm upgrading my weapons and armor and synthesizing stuff while leveling. Up til that fight I had only done one random battle as things had been easy. So the sudden jump in enemy power caught me off guard. *L*
Seems to me that synthesizing and upgrading is more important than levelling, but you have to level to get EP to upgrade stuff anyway.

It seems like the game's balanced for you to fight more random encounters than you would normally get while going from place to place in general. I was like level 5 getting out of the first dungeon and then the enemies outside were like L9-10 and completely destroyed me. I don't even want to talk about the boss out there...

I guess it makes sense considering how low the encounter rate is, but it's still kind of weird. Oh well, battles are fun enough that it's not too bad. (Yet.)

Also, if you didn't find out already, R1 instantly triggers battles on the world map/dungeon. Really handy if you need to grind.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
aerisangel
Carob Nut

Member 26245

Level 6.27

Nov 2007

Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:27 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2009, 06:27 PM #43 of 45
When did this game come out?

How ya doing, buddy?

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:24 AM #44 of 45
Last week.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:04 PM #45 of 45
I complained about the battle system a bunch on my backloggery, but overall I'm enjoying the game. It's another one of those things that seems like it doesn't have to be on the PS3, but just got put there for the heck of it. I mean, the hornets you face in the first area look 3D to me. You can see that kind of rendering in the background ever so slightly, but other than that I don't understand why this is PS3 stuff. There is still slowdown sometimes and this very much has a NamcoXCapcom/Chaos Wars feel to it. I don't even see what the point of rotating the camera is since you can't do it all the way. The menus are fairly convoluted, with a ridiculous example being that there are separate menus to arrange your items automatically and manually. Also, you can't check EX Skill data unless it's in the Arcane Tome from Branch Combos you've discovered, or in battle by pressing R2, then select, then the EX Skill button.

Though, I am overjoyed that Jedah appears to be in this game, if I'm seeing that silhouette correctly. B.B. Hood would have made me cast aside any misgivings about this game altogether.

I've been grinding needlessly at the start, since I'm really happy that I think I've finally gotten the basics of the system down now. Marie is crap (for now at least) so I hope that she gets cool magic after her stupid Uni (an urchin...really?) skill. Aurelia and Shurelia are a little crazy, but then again, I bet the boss will be really tricky to make up for that.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Cross Edge - Idea Factory x Gust x Capcom x Nippon Ichi x Namco x I JUST CAME