Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Artist's block, like the common cold, has no cure.

McCloud
Currently hates his username.

Member 4413

Level 10.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:24 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 01:24 AM #1 of 17
Artist's block, like the common cold, has no cure.

It may go away, but it always comes back, unless kept at bay somehow. I've been suffering from a really bad case for several months now, and have yet to recover. I'm just wondering, what do you do to treat this mental bug? What's your artistic chicken soup?

For me, it used to be music, but that hasn't done it for me as of late. I'm partially looking for new ways to "treat" my case, partially just curious.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The above statements may or may not be true.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:41 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 12:41 AM #2 of 17
I don't know, it could have been both an inpirational issue and motivational issue. Although generally if you are pretty motivated, it isn't hard to find inspiration. I usually check out some of the website for the artist that I like, and listening to some music. There is another thing, talking to like minded people can really get you fire up sometimes. (Although what I mean by "like minded" mean strictly on art related stuff).

Sometimes people are more of a burn out on the stuff that they are doing more then anything. Its best to take a break from whatever project that you are working on for a little while, to work on something else, or just do something completely unrelated like relaxing, until you get your motivation back.

So what type of "art" you are doing?

Most amazing jew boots
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:43 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 12:43 AM #3 of 17
For me, I usually listen to music. But when that doesn't work, i try playing some video games. If that doesn't work, I just start doodling random crap. It doesn't really matter what it is, I just start doodling. Sometimes that will get my creative juices flowing...

Unfortunately, things aren't going so well for me in terms of cranking out new stuff... I hope I can also get some good ideas on how to deal with artist's block.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Lizardcommando; Jun 15, 2006 at 02:45 AM.
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:44 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 01:44 AM #4 of 17
To use Liam Lynch's words in his most recent viewer mail podcast (which can be found here: clicky) "Writer's Block" doesnt really exist. This is a lovely and brave statement from someone as incredibly creative as him, but he also threw in a few cool suggestions for those moments where you need a jump start.

For one thing, trying a different artistic medium is always nice, regardless of your talent level in that other medium. For example, as Liam put it, if you're trying to write a book change gears and paint a picture.

Another thing he suggested was to take a magazine and randomly pick two pages with your eyes closed. Use those two images as the begining and end of a story and just fill in the middle. It seems simple and silly, and the outcome doenst need to be some kind of masterpeice, but it will definitely get your imagination going again.

Something I do for those kinds of moments is take a shower, sit down in the tub as it goes, and just meditate. I actually do this for all those tough moments in my life, but that's just me, all the white-noise from the water, as well as the warmth really let's me just forget everything for a while and start fresh. I suppose anyplace where you can find peace in this chaotic world would work too.

The most important thing, of course, is to not get discouraged!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:47 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 09:47 PM #5 of 17
Yeah, same with magi. It's either lack of inspiration or motivation. I haven't drawn anything for the past month. I want to, but I just don't "feel" it yet.

And I also promised Jessy to draw her story -_-

Most amazing jew boots
ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:56 AM #6 of 17
honestly, the best way to remedy artist's block is to just ignore it. it's like being afraid to do something; the only way you're going to get over it is to just do it.

grab a sketch book, a notepad, whatever it is you use to create with and just get to it. if you're out of ideas, just do some random creative exercises or technical exercies so that your skills aren't going to waste. still life requires no creativity aside from the actual arrangement, the rest can be purely technical work. you can practice different shading techniques, colour blending, negative spaces; there's lots you can do while you're waiting for something to spark again.

never just sit there for months and not do anything though. that's what'll feed your block more than anything else.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:28 AM #7 of 17
Whether it's music or writing, I just work through it. Remember that people will only see what you want them to see, so don't be afraid to suck. Even if what I'm working on is a lousy idea, I keep developing it until it turns into something interesting or until I get a better idea. If the lousy idea never turns into anything, I just look at it as practice and move on.

In a Q and A session at a music college, John Mayer said something along the lines of, "If you're not completing songs, you're not a songwriter." I think that can apply to any craft.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaphwan 86
Punt-a-bitch

Member 365

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 10:45 PM #8 of 17
It's weird, but when I sport I seem to get more inspiration for drawings. If you have a healthy mind, the ideas will keep flowing in. Also, I take a look at pictures I made in the past (to kind of relive my past and stuff) and I just take a walk in the park on an early morning. If you know some beautiful locations, go there on a quiet Sunday morning to relax a little and enjoy the environments.

You just need to set your mind off the "Artist's block", because if you keep stressing about it, it won't go away so easily. It always worked for me, I hope it goes the same way for you. =0

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:09 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 01:09 PM #9 of 17
Usually when I don't have any ideas for anything, I try not to think about it too much. I find that I get the most ideas while I happen to be watching or reading something interesting.

Most amazing jew boots
ouch
The pencil killer

Member 879

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:10 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 02:10 AM #10 of 17
Deadline, got no place to hide, must finished it on time.

If I really stuck, usually running for a mile will do the trick for me. But when I need motivation, I will look at my peers artworks, and make myself all pump up and start to draw again. Competition works. ^_^

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Need Manga Studio Tutorial? Click me!!
Visit my DeviantArt
McCloud
Currently hates his username.

Member 4413

Level 10.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:14 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 03:14 AM #11 of 17
Originally Posted by ouch
Deadline, got no place to hide, must finished it on time.

If I really stuck, usually running for a mile will do the trick for me. But when I need motivation, I will look at my peers artworks, and make myself all pump up and start to draw again. Competition works. ^_^
Lucky you. Competition actually takes the fight out of me. I look at other people's art, and think "I'm not that good. Will I ever be? Probably not." Yeah, I'm kind of a downer when it comes to motivation.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The above statements may or may not be true.
Kobra
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5741

Level 2.00

Apr 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 03:27 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 01:27 PM #12 of 17
have you ever been to conceptart.org? It's a great site with tons a up and coming artists.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:29 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 03:29 PM #13 of 17
I just tend to put my work down and immerse myself into other mediums. Oftentimes when I get stuck in some portion of writing, reading a few books helps to get my mind off the problem and let me get back to it with a fresh outlook. Most of the time I get stuck because I think too far ahead and lose myself where I am.

I was speaking idiomatically.
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:35 PM #14 of 17
I have a rather unorthodox method of besting an artist's block. I let ennui roam through my head for a couple of days, and by the time that is over, I feel like I absolutely must engage in a creative activity.

The best way to go about it is to set aside a weekend. Disconnect the internet connection and disable the computer account for 48 hours. Unplug the cable TV, and remove all good books from the vicinity.
Then, sit back and wade through boring and poorly written books. Stare at the ceiling, listen to the mind-numbing radio commercials, take frequent naps and eat an excessive amount of junk food.
You will also want to starve yourself of any kind of social contact. Turn off the phone, lock your front door and don't check your mail. Cancel all your appointments, and simply do nothing. You will be bored out of your mind. You will ache for some kind of a fulfilling activity - no matter what - even after a few hours of this.
After a day, ennui will kick in. You will start getting emo for no reason. This is likely the hardest part as it will require serious willpower not to go out and attract attention by any means necessary. Stick to the plan, and endure the full 48 hours.

On Monday after this ordeal, wake up and immediately - before thinking - start smiling. Grin at everything and anything. You will find this most exhilarating. Before you start thinking, get up and start drawing, writing, singing, dancing - whatever creative activity you take part in.

I would only recommend using it as the last resort, but when you do, it will not fail. For better results, prolong the seclusion time as you see fit.

Most amazing jew boots
ouch
The pencil killer

Member 879

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 09:58 PM #15 of 17
Originally Posted by Kobra
have you ever been to conceptart.org? It's a great site with tons a up and coming artists.

Yap, that is a great site.

But if you're anime/manga style artist, and you're in artist block, I don't recommand you post any art on that site. Artists there are pretty anti-anime style.

And make sure you nail the basic before post anything there.

FELIPE NO

Need Manga Studio Tutorial? Click me!!
Visit my DeviantArt
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:52 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 10:52 PM #16 of 17
Actually, conceptart is a great place to go if you haven't got all the basics yet because they will help you with that.

Just don't go there and post your "awesome" drawing of Naruto or whatever and expect pats on the back. They will tell you what is up, and you need to be prepared to hear it. (I expect a lot of the folks who post their art HERE would not like it THERE for this very reason.)

---

I find that hitting another medium every once in awhile helps with my artists block. I do most of my stuff in pencil+marker+watercolor, so once in awhile it's a good exercise to do something in photoshop or illustrator, just to "do something." I also find that if I am blocked, forcing it only makes it worse. Obviously you don't want to go for months at a time without doing anything at all, but taking a break and just not thinking about it for a while does help.

How ya doing, buddy?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 01:30 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 02:30 PM #17 of 17
A lot of folks here post Naruto or random anime fanart. So, they probably won't like it there.

(whoah galen's still here)

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Artist's block, like the common cold, has no cure.