Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Minami-ke

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:50 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 10:50 PM #1 of 34
Minami-ke

I caught this off of Taco's journal and after reading some of the positive feedback this show has garnered (especially for people suffering Lucky Star withdrawal symptoms), I decided to check this out.

Synopsis: It's another one of those slice of life comedies that we all love ever since shows like Lucky Star and Ichigo Mashimaro hit the airwaves. The premise behind this series is rather simple: it takes a look into the daily lives of the three Minami sisters. Honestly, there's not really much more to say about it other than to note that the comedy is pretty light-hearted and the situations are pretty normal and includes comedy during the course of cooking meals, waking up early for school, and seeking out love.

Opinion: Like Lucky Star, this is pretty light-hearted but Minami-ke has the advantage in that it will click with a far wider audience because the jokes do not revolve around otaku culture. Even though it's only one episode in, I'm already digging the characters and their personalities. All signs point to this series being full of win.

Character profiles:

Haruka - the oldest of the three sisters, she's probably the most normal out of the sisters and the most well-balanced in terms of her skills. She cooks well, is fairly reliable and responsible in taking care of her sisters, particularly with Chiaki, and has a pleasant personality.

Chiaki - while Chiaki is the youngest of the three sisters, she's also got quite a lip, especially when dealing with Kana's antics. Whenever a situation calls for a sarcastic remark, Chiaki is usually the one to deliver such the line. Because of this, she also has no problems in taking advantage of Kana's naivete by playing pranks on her which helps bring on the comedy. Easily identifiable from Haruka from her age as well as her ahoge. She reminds me a lot of Alice from ARIA the Animation.

Kana - she's the problem child with an overly enthusiastic/energetic personality that's similar to Miu's from Ichigo Mashimaro. She's probably the worst student of the lot, tends to spend her time terrorizing Chiaki, and is a horrible cook, messing up even the simplest dishes by making mistakes in her enthusiastic bouts. However, because of this, she provides a lot of energy for the show and her antics are what keeps it interesting.

Links:
Episode 1 - [Ayako] [Wallsub/Anon] [A-E Saizen]
Episode 2 - [Wallsub/Anon]

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Dec 3, 2007 at 09:26 PM.
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:42 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 07:42 PM #2 of 34
This series is very amusing. I like that each sister is able to hold her own during a scene (though I find that the interactions between any two of them or all of them make for the most comedic ones). A good job has also been done in creating good supporting characters.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:22 PM #3 of 34
I watched the first episode today, and it was quite funny, it's not often that an anime will actually make me laugh out loud.

My only issue so far is that Kana is coming on way too hard for barely knowing her personality. I feel like they should have given Kana a more modest entry instead of putting me right into the get-go and making me feel like I should have known Kana all along.

Ah, on an animation standpoint, the animation is quite superb, and the style is perfect to my liking. I have quite a bit of hope for this series down the road, as I get to understand the characters more.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

oh my gawddd
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:56 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 10:56 PM #4 of 34
The series has its ups and downs and although it is enjoyable, the humor isn't nearly as consistent as I'd like it to be. Still, when you're looking for various types of humor (high school, middle school, and elementary school situations) this series can't be beat.

At the very least, each episode will contain a rather memorable part. Episode 6 bars special mention for having one of the more hilarious antics that I've seen in quite some time.

Spoiler:
I found it great at how Makoto was willing to go through the lengths he did just so that he could come over to the Minami residence. His obsession with Haruka and being able to see more of her hit the marks perfectly.

Most amazing jew boots
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:03 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2007, 05:03 PM #5 of 34
I can't believe this thread hasn't been getting attention at all. While I praise the likes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Lucky Star, Minami-ke's comedy is lighthearted and doesn't require a perculiar sense of humour or in-depth knowledge to appreciate.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:11 AM #6 of 34
I haven't lol'd so hard since Seto no Hanayome. Man, this show is epic. I still need to watch another 6+ episodes...

Most amazing jew boots
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 03:00 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2007, 01:00 AM #7 of 34
Episode 8

Spoiler:

The lack of a Ninomiya-kun gag doesn't make it any less awesome, and that's just because of Hosaka alone. His monologues and hyperactive imagination involving situations with him and Haruka are just downright hilarious. Always over the top, but certainly brilliantly done by taking a few lines from dating sims as well as an obscure Eva reference (so I'm told anyways).

Also, the whole bubblegum sequence had me grinning like an idiot. Kana's effort and facial expressions during that segment was just hilarious.

Either way, this show is somewhat of a hit or miss at times and its comedy isn't quite as consistent as I'd like it to be. There are a few factors in this show that gets me to come back though. Any segment that involves the Ninomiya-kun gag is bound to be awesome and hilarious. Same thing can be said for Hosaka who shows that you can be hilarious and creepy at the same time.

It's still worth pursuing, but it's certainly not the best comedy ever. Looks like Azumanga Daioh will still remain the crowning champion of schoolgirl comedies.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Dec 11, 2007 at 03:03 AM.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:51 PM #8 of 34
Ahh, I'm really hooked on this show. I especially enjoy the Makoto --> Mako-chan scenes, episode 10 was especially amusing, along with episode 6 I think it was.

@zzeroparticle: Ah, another Shinkai fan! Have you seen his latest short 1min animation called "Gathering of the Cats"? Quite amusing.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

oh my gawddd
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:15 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2007, 11:15 AM #9 of 34
giving it a download as it sounds like my type of anime, jeez the torrents for the show are slow.

edit: gave the first episode a watch and i liked what i saw
that kissing scene seemed like came straight from ichigo marshmallow which isn't a bad thing just i notice how alike it is

now off to find the rest.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by lemonmanko; Dec 16, 2007 at 05:48 AM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:30 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2007, 06:30 PM #10 of 34
Minami-ke, for reasons unfathomable, is getting a second season: Minami-ke: Okawari.

Not that a series like that doesn't deserve the sequel treatment, but instead of providing new material it appears this second season is an "alternate retelling." Huh? New production company, but luckily the same vocal cast.

I AM BOSSU v2 lands January.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:12 PM #11 of 34
lolwatewat

but why

I mean, not that Minami-ke is bad, but why is this pulling a Negima!??

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:53 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2007, 09:53 PM #12 of 34
That's not really a fair comparison, because Negima! was kind of ehhhhhh but Negima!? was awesome.

This is like, reverse. Maybe.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
HonestLie
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 7911

Level 2.97

Jun 2006

Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:46 AM Local time: Dec 15, 2007, 10:46 PM #13 of 34
This anime is brilliant. I especially love the Sensei!!! Nonimiya-kun!! segments.

Here's the infamous game scene.
YouTube - SENSEI! NINOMIYA-KUN!

As for Okawari, I'm not too excited about it. The character designs make it look like it'll be ecchi. - _ -.

Most amazing jew boots
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:52 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2007, 11:52 AM #14 of 34
It seems like Okawari will be akin to Futakoi Alternative: same characters and cast, but with different a different story and studio. I was shocked to discover this new series so early into the run.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:28 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 02:28 AM #15 of 34
Episode 9

Spoiler:
It was sort of funny, just not as funny as some of the episodes that preceded it. Most of the jokes came up as being predictable with the high points coming from Kana exploiting Chiaki's love and devotion to Haruka.

The segment in which Kana wakes up Chiaki to talk about each other was also pretty hilarious, especially when Chiaki makes a speech regarding her thoughts for Kana and I laughed at the method in which she conveyed her feelings. Her tone of voice and her facial expressions were definitely crucial to the comedic aspects of this.

Still, I think we can agree that Hosaka and/or Ninomiya-kun is needed to make the episode be truly awesome.

As for the second season, I just have to raise a question at this point as I don't see it going too far before they use up their well of gags, even if it's a different retelling. Unless Minami-ke is to Okawari as Idolm@ster is to Xenoglossia, I'm not sure it can deliver. But that hardly matters as everyone will be looking forwards to another season of Hidamari Sketch to get their moe slice of life fix.

FELIPE NO
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:56 PM #16 of 34
This show becomes increasingly awesome for me. Episode 11 probably made me laugh the most. The introduction of Touma's family added a nice twist :3.

Most amazing jew boots

oh my gawddd
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:56 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 05:56 PM #17 of 34
Love what I watched so far. Its one on those series that definitely need more attention due to its awesomeness. Only thing that prevents me from getting caught up on this series is my damn hard drive failing on me.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:11 AM #18 of 34
Minami-ke, for reasons unfathomable, is getting a second season: Minami-ke: Okawari.

I think it had something to do with the two directors each wanting to do Minami-ke, and rather than choosing one they just told each one they'd get to make their own version.

Betting on the first season being better than the second.

Most amazing jew boots

#654: Braixen
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:40 AM #19 of 34
I as well. What was with that preview though? Total style revamp, the eyes definitely creep me out too.

As for the finale of the first season, it was good, nothing special like what I was hoping for. I felt as if it didn't follow any actual story and was all over the place though and hard to follow........ more so than usual haha :P

oh my gawddd
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:12 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 12:12 PM #20 of 34
Just started watching this (only seen episode 1 as of this post). It's pretty funny so far and judging from everyone's comments, it looks like it's a good show. I guess this will relieve some boredom, at least until Haruhi2 comes along.

The interaction between Chiaki and Kana is awesome so far.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:21 AM #21 of 34
Hahaha, I think the ending suited the series perfectly. Kana finally getting what she deserved, and by what she deserved I mean mad hot sexy time. Seriously, that part at the end was fucking hilarious. Hayami. for. the. win.

Also:

Hahahaha, boobs.

I was speaking idiomatically.

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Jan 4, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:51 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 12:51 AM #22 of 34
Finished the show. It was pretty good, hilarious in many parts but as zzeroparticle has mentioned, it's got a lot of misses. Am I the only one creeped out by Hosaka? He was kind'a funny in the beginning (his fantasies in the beginning were truly funny) but the more I saw of him later, the more tempted I was to stop watching. Luckily I managed to continue otherwise I'd never have finished.

I felt that Touma and her brothers were introduced a little too late though. I'm sure there could have been more fun interactions between the two "Minami" families. I'm also kind'a wishing Fujioka the bear had shown up earlier too, especially since it was so prominent in both the OP and ED themes.

Otherwise it was quite an enjoyable show. Looking forward to the new stuff later this month.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:49 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2008, 12:49 PM #23 of 34
What?! Hosaka is my favorite character =O

I watched this on a recommendation and I am NOT regretting it <3 I just finished Episode 5, I think. Or was it 6?... Anyhow, the Ninomiya-kun game was fucking WIN. I'm glad someone posted the Youtube video =D Trying to pitch this to my brother as his next "must see" anime, and I think that video will seal the deal. I had to rewatch that a few times because I was laughing too god damn hard.

Still cackling about the recorder-flute having a gunshot sound ='D omg~

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:11 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2008, 10:11 PM 3 #24 of 34
Despite being the thread creator, I seem to have fallen behind the rest of you

Anyhow, episode 10:

Spoiler:
first half was so-so, but I'll be damned if the second half just didn't knock my socks off. I swear, everything just gets better once Mako-chan gets involved somehow. The play off of Makoto making his big revelation in the classroom was utterly hilarious from a combination of his cluelessness as well as the fact that he was so deep into thought about his alter-ego that the context was all lost. EPIC FAIL for him but EPIC LULZ for the rest of us.

Special props to Touma for coming in and making things even more interesting and hilarious. We already have a trap, and now a reverse trap enters play to spice things up a bit. This is awesome as well as a nice recovery from last episode's blandness.

Aaaaand episode 11:

Spoiler:
Not bad... not bad at all. A set of three brothers with all varied personalities will certainly make for a good amount of character interactions between the sisters. It also helps that Natsuki will complement Hosaka quite well if not as a rival, than as an accomplice.

I did enjoy Haruka's phrasing during the phone conversation, especially when she made the tone of her voice sound lower to freak out the Minami brother. Easily the funniest part of this episode which beats out that little misunderstanding revolving around Kana and Akira.

I'll also agree that Touma's introduction so late into the series cut off a lot of the potential comedy that could have been taken advantage of earlier. Still though, you gotta hand it to Hosaka being hilarious to fill in the gaps as well as the Ninomiya-kun segments which are utterly brilliant.

For all you Hosaka fans (myself included):
YouTube Video

EPIC. Why lie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Jan 10, 2008 at 03:45 AM.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:58 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 12:58 AM #25 of 34
Ahaha. Propped so god damn hard. AWESOME video ='D

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Minami-ke