Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

tl;dr
Closed Thread

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:19 AM #126 of 147
It wouldn't be much trouble for me to give it to him, if he's interested.

Most amazing jew boots
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:24 AM #127 of 147
Originally Posted by Minion
It wouldn't be much trouble for me to give it to him, if he's interested.
Fuck that shit. Give it to me. (Especially if its an eBook.)

Pang may even want to read some of it. He reads everything, you know.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:29 AM #128 of 147
Actually, despite his persona, it seems to me that Pang would be an amicable (although perhaps antisocial) guy in real life.

Anywho, I can give it to multiple people, since it's only data, not an actual book.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:30 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:30 PM #129 of 147
Originally Posted by The Dopefish
...and I still spend my days off (like tomorrow, I'm predicting) either doing nothing or hanging out with my friend.
I think this post will have a disrespectful taste in it, but it's not meant that way. Seriously, what do you do all day? You told us you would "do nothing" - as in ceasing to exist? Don't you have any hobbies? Or things you like to do?

You two understand the concept of quitting smoking "cold turkey"? Difficult for most, simple for few. Jumping in with both feet would be akin to quitting smoking "cold turkey", something I can't fathom doing. As it is, I'm trying to quit being boring and lonely as most people quite smoking: slowly but surely, and with some sense of resolve. It may take some time but at least I'm trying.
Excuses. You say you're socially inept yet you don't have a problem talking to someone. So what is your problem? Do you even want to find friends (with an explanation, please)?

About the drinking thing - I think noone here will try to make you an alcoholic. But one drink won't have a big impact on your life. Just try it, maybe you like it, maybe you don't. If you don't know what to order, try an alcopop. It's like lemonade, just that it destroys brain cells. Personally I hate beer with a passion but that's my taste. Another thing: Do you also base the "I-can't-find-friends"-theory on the fact that you don't drink alcohol?

I'm not in school yet, but the idea of joining a/many club(s) is one I've been entertaining.
Great idea. You should just do it for the sake of it rather than wanting to change your life. Otherwise it would seem quite forced, you know? I suggest volunteering for something if you have time for it. Helping others is a great thing and (maybe!!) finding friends would be just a positive side-effect.

Haven't we all concluded that it's obvious I can't? For whatever reason -- I don't have the mental capacity, I can't think outside the box (...)
First you seek a helping hand, then you reject it and say you're simply not capable of making friends. Guess what? Everyone is. Everyone can find someone who likes him. There are 6000000000 people on the earth. Don't tell me that no one likes you. So the "I-can't-do-it-on-my-own"-card doesn't work here, you could have just used it if you're shy.

I'm thinking I should just suck it up and give up trying to make friends for the time being. If there's only two people that interest me and neither want to hang out then there's nothing I can do about it. No one's coming to me and asking if I'd like to hang out, and they never have...so what does that say about how people see me?
See above.

So, my only problem is I need to find social situations and feel comfortable meeting random strangers.
If that's your problem then you're just underestimating yourself. What are you afraid of? Your life doesn't seem like you could lose anything at the moment (you said you're not happy with it, not me).

Again, this whole post is not meant to be disrespectful. The others brought some very inspiring advice. Please, do something about your life. The way you live it at the moment you just throw it away.

Most amazing jew boots
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:31 AM #130 of 147
Actually, despite his persona, it seems to me that Pang would be an amicable (although perhaps antisocial) guy in real life.
He's a pretty considerate guy, really. He just keeps to himself an awful lot.

And how many "friends" do you think Pang has?

Case closed. ^_^

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:34 AM #131 of 147
Well, yeah, but what I'm saying is that he seems like a loner by choice. This book is mostly for people who frequently piss other people off and don't understand why. Or for people who want to know what to do in order to climb the ladder at work.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
peeack
Good Chocobo

Member 443

Level 18.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 01:35 AM #132 of 147
Quote:
And how many "friends" do you think Pang has?
I was on Pang's friends list! Does this count for anything? =D

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
<33
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:41 AM #133 of 147
Well, yeah, but what I'm saying is that he seems like a loner by choice. This book is mostly for people who frequently piss other people off and don't understand why. Or for people who want to know what to do in order to climb the ladder at work.
WELL THEN! I could certainly use that, COULDN'T I? ^_^ (Though I realize why I piss people off)

And it really couldn't help our dear friend Dope here. Maybe we could create a hobby for him in reading. Thats a completely valid hobby, no? (I don't even know anymore)

And PeePee, I have no idea. ;_;

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:01 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 01:01 PM #134 of 147
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Incidentally, it was written in 1936, RR? I think I will have to read this, now. It couldn't help, considering my VERY ANGRY DISPOSITION.
He wrote it as a textbook for the course he originally taught at a local YMCA in New York. He found there were no really good books on the subject, so he took his background as a biographer (I think he claims to have read something like 80 books on Lincoln alone) and used examples from other peoples' lives to show what methods worked for them. He'll point out a trend in how they behave, throw in some good quotes from successful people, and generally makes a pretty convincing argument.

If you're going to buy a book, I recommend the one I linked to at buy.com. It has two of his best books together in hardback for about as much as you'd pay for one of them in paperback.

If I was on my desktop I'd send you the text file I made with my favorite passages from the book. Here's one of the lines that struck me the most while reading the book (I remembered enough of this one to google for it).

Originally Posted by John Wanamaker
I learned 30 years ago that it is foolish to scold. I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:10 PM #135 of 147
Dopefish, here's the bottom line. If you whine in real life about your situation half as much as you've done in this thread, no one is going to want to be around you. You have to be positive.

I've noticed a trend among young people - especially boys - to try to win sympathy points by wallowing in self-pity. The harsh truth is, that doesn't work. Any girl with an ounce of self-respect is going to be repulsed by a guy who constantly harps about how lonely and socially inept he is.

Tell people often enough how much you suck and pretty soon they'll start to believe it.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:28 PM #136 of 147
Thankfully I'm not as bad in real life as I am on here.

eks
Carob Slut

Member 545

Level 9.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:49 PM #137 of 147
How old are you, Dope?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:50 PM #138 of 147
Twenty-two.

eks
Carob Slut

Member 545

Level 9.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:13 PM #139 of 147
Perfect. This weekend, go to a bar with some friends, get some alcohol in you and try approaching some girls. Let us know how it goes, too.

Scenario:
You're playing pool, darts or whatever, and you see group of girls playing too. Go over and ask if they can teach you some pointers, or (if you can play) offer advice. Introduce yourself. Ask what the girls' (preferably the one you're most interested in) are into, where they work, how old they are, etc. Tell them some of yours.

In general, it's a good idea to stay away from politics and religion for topics. (Some say you should NEVER bring either of these topics up in a bar, actually.)

Don't talk about previous love interests, either. (Will make it seem like you're still into them.)

As people are saying, just TRY SOMETHING. Try the book. Try talking to some women you don't know. Seriously. This isn't an exact science. (Thankfully.)

You can't screw up if you don't try, but you can't succeed without trying, either. Loneliness is worse than rejection. (Tell yourself that if you get discouraged from approaching girls.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:17 PM #140 of 147
Originally Posted by eks
Perfect. This weekend, go to a bar with some friends, get some alcohol in you and try approaching some girls. Let us know how it goes, too.
So, let me get this straight: go to a bar with my one friend, who is 20 and has a girlfriend already.

AWESOME PLAN.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

eks
Carob Slut

Member 545

Level 9.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:52 PM #141 of 147
More excuses?

Actually, that's good, too. They can be the designated driver. That, and he (probably) won't be stealing any of your prospects.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:54 PM #142 of 147
He doesn't have a license.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:04 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 07:04 PM #143 of 147
You just want attention, don't you?

FELIPE NO

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:09 PM #144 of 147
I don't see YOU resisting either way...

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:12 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 08:12 PM #145 of 147
So that's a yes. Everyone should just stop trying to help you, you don't seem to like anyone's advice anyhow.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:19 PM #146 of 147
Well, now that you've admitted you're doing it just for attention, perhaps the right *cough* authorities could step in.

And I am not talking about staff, either.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:21 PM #147 of 147
I haven't said anything. But this topic is dead anyway.

How ya doing, buddy?

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > tl;dr