Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:56 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 04:56 PM #3151 of 3592
Did anyone feel that the killzone trailer might be a mix of CGI and ingame. I hope its all ingame, trailer was certainly impressive.

FELIPE NO

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:27 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 08:27 PM #3152 of 3592
All they need is AI that actually gives you a challenge instead of Medal of Honor style shooting gallery, and that they drop the context sensitive actions that only work randomly (especially melee. If you're going to copy Ha|o, do it right for god's sake).

I'm told the trailer footage collected was from the playable code that was on show. It was a full level that they played through, apparently. To be perfectly honest, I personally am not that impressed with it on the technical side, but maybe I'm not that desperate to finally see a PS3 killer app in the first place.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:56 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 09:56 PM #3153 of 3592
Heh, Sony is destroying the presentations of Nintendo and Microsoft at the moment. Showing a ton of games, new exclusives (oh hay guys console version of Unreal Tournament only on PS3, can use mods from PC), Raiden kicking ass and committing seppuku in new Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer (2008 release), and the best part (LittleBigPlanet presentation) is only starting.

Good job, at least they didn't fuck this one up.

Edit: bah, they didn't show much of LBP, oh well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Jul 11, 2007 at 03:02 PM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:28 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 03:28 PM #3154 of 3592
Maybe not, but the Killzone 2 in-game footage was amazing. It's too bad we're gonna have to wait until 2008 for some of those bigger titles. At least Heavenly Sword and Lair are still this year though, along with LBP and Home.

Sweet.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:33 PM #3155 of 3592
I haven't seen any footage from the sony press but I can't wait to see them since I've been hearing nothing but good things their way.
Especially the mgs4 trailer because the raiden scene sounds oh-so-tasty.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

New Record!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:33 PM #3156 of 3592
I wouldn't say they destroyed Nintendo's conference. They did a good thing by showing a lot trailers for games to come. It was basically the same thing as last year but not a lot of demos with silly one-liners to spout off for Internet meme-dom. This time it was lol hey we're in home again *character does chicken dance* and I'm talking to Kaz show us ur PSP Kaz *does the worm* oh here's the auditorium for the trailer for a game you won't be playing for a couple months. Enjoy! Oh btw here's Chewbacca trying to sell you darth vader PSP. I'll admit the games did look good and I'm glad they showed Killzone in actual realtime that looked similar to the E32k5 video.

I suppose I'm disappointed because none of those trailers were by Team Ico.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:39 PM #3157 of 3592
Man Sony's E3 coverage on PSN is killer. Screw being at E3 and playing some betas that don't even represent the final games, when I can get everything I want in my livingroom.

Put's MS's E3 coverage to shame.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:43 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 03:43 PM #3158 of 3592
Aard. Sony is only getting UT3 this year. Its going to xbox 360 in January, I believe since it wouldn't do well with the big guns at that time anyway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:45 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 10:45 PM #3159 of 3592
I suppose I'm disappointed because none of those trailers were by Team Ico.
Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that they didn't really show anything that people weren't already expecting. Something like rumble controller announcement, new Final Fantasy 13 stuff, new major demos in the store, an unexpected game announcement. But, well, they didn't fuck up and easily had the most solid presentation this year, I stand by that. And that's already a huge accomplishment, considering Sony's recent track record.

Additional Spam:
Aard. Sony is only getting UT3 this year. Its going to xbox 360 in January, I believe since it wouldn't do well with the big guns at that time anyway.
Yeah, that's what I imagined (a lot of Sony's 'exclusives' are really 'timed exclusives', that's pretty much what exclusive usually means this generation), but well not like I give a shit about first person shooters on consoles anyway.

FELIPE NO
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Jul 11, 2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:48 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 03:48 PM #3160 of 3592
Ha. As soon as what I read what you wrote Slayer, I went downstairs and started downloading EVERYTHING. I didn't even realize that it was up on the PSN store yet...

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:00 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 10:00 PM #3161 of 3592
The Assassin's Creed demonstration was totally kickin' ass. This is going to be a fantastic game!

Most amazing jew boots
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:02 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 04:02 PM #3162 of 3592
Is the Sony conference still going on? I thought it was finished?

What I really want to hear about right now is more info/footage on FFXIII and any kind of confirmation of a ZOE3 :\...

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:04 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 10:04 PM #3163 of 3592
Nah, I didn't follow the conference, but I guess most of the videos are already available on gametrailers.com

Some of the trailers are already downloadable in the PSN store, for those of you who're interested.

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:09 PM #3164 of 3592
Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that they didn't really show anything that people weren't already expecting. Something like rumble controller announcement, new Final Fantasy 13 stuff, new major demos in the store, an unexpected game announcement. But, well, they didn't fuck up and easily had the most solid presentation this year, I stand by that. And that's already a huge accomplishment, considering Sony's recent track record.
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. If they had come out with rumble or some new games that I'm interested in and/or didn't expect I would have liked it more. The conference was solid but I liked the Nintendo conference more because of the unexpected new announcements. I actually came into the Sony conference about halfway through and was pissed because I was afraid I had missed a rumble or some other cool announcement. I didn't really miss that much. Sony's conference while solid wasn't the same exciting feeling that I really like to get out of these conferences. Had they come out with a Team Ico trailer, some rumble news, and anything else new and unexpected I'd have been alright Sony you've got it together. From their conference today it's just a things you've already known or expected yet to come and problems still not solved. Problems like rumble are the same problems I have with Nintendo. They still haven't fixed their online plan and they didn't address it properly. They beat around the bush with statistics I don't care about and that don't effect me. Not acknowledging that people don't like Friends Codes and we want a better system is akin to Sony being mum about why their controllers don't have rumble in them/when controllers with rumble will be coming out/how or if current games that don't have rumble can be patched to have rumble/rumble rumble etc. It's not a complete failure to these conferences but these are the things I want solved by E3 conferences. They are issues that have been bitched over for MONTHS now so you gotta figure they have something working on it. I basically treat E3 conferences as addresses for current and future status.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:56 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 02:56 AM #3165 of 3592
While everyone is busy masturbating furiously on the Killzone 2 trailer, I finally realized what felt so off about it.

I realize the code is unfinished, but for a team that doesn't shy away from most smoke and mirrors tricks, how come they can produce graphics and motion blur of this quality

yet leave in laughably shoddy 2D flame and explosion effects like these

Most amazing jew boots

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:24 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 07:24 PM #3166 of 3592
I'm pretty sure the reason for the smoke/fire effects looking worse than other games is because it's, supposedly, volumetric. It's harder to make volumetric effects look better than generic 2d animated sprites, but the advantage is that they actually have depth to them and can be viewed from any angle without looking like there's a giant billboard that's always facing you. However, it's also much more taxing than sprites would be as well.

But honestly, I can't really tell if it's actually volumetric from the trailer or not. If they are, then it should be fairly impressive in the game when you're able to walk through smoke without it looking like you're going through layers.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:30 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 04:30 PM #3167 of 3592
You pretty much answered your own question. Killzone 2 is a largely unfinished game using an engine built from scratch. Many of those effects look exactly like base placeholder effects for shader code that is not complete yet. The bullet hole effect is a big example of this and that flame effect looks like it is nothing more than the base polygon structure without any of the shaders applied to it yet.

The trailer also doesn't seem to have a particle engine in it yet either. Again these types of final shader effects and particle engines are traditionally added during the first few polishing rounds. I'd be surprised if this trailer was running on anything higher than an alpha level graphics engine at this point.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Cetra; Jul 11, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:59 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 03:59 AM #3168 of 3592
I'm pretty sure the reason for the smoke/fire effects looking worse than other games is because it's, supposedly, volumetric.
See, that's just it, they LOOK like the old flat pieces of cardboard that always face you, especially when the hovership blows, which is why I brought it up in the first place.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:16 PM #3169 of 3592
Even if it is, nothing can be certain as to what is going to be in the final build and what isn't. So just enjoy the good features of the trailer, and wait for a final build before taking anything for what it is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:27 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 04:27 AM 2 #3170 of 3592
So how does that work with people wetting themselves and announcing it game of the year like the last time with the CGI trailer?

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 08:54 PM #3171 of 3592
All it has to be is the game that makes the largest impact at the event. There's no other rules other then that.

So am I getting this right. That Epic said that Unreal Tournament 3 will be on PS3 and PC but NOT 360? That's what IGN has up on their news.

UPDATE
Killzone 2 gameplay video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21600.html *Audio is messed, but itès still interesting.

Man, I have NEVER seen a game that looked this good. MGS4 may look better in some areas, but KZ2 is only in ALPHA, not even close to BETA. They took that CG trailer, and beat it to fuck with a dead 360.

EPIC UPDATE
Alright here we go, straight from the EPIC mouth.

"At their E3 2007 press conference today, Sony confirmed that Epic's Unreal Tournament 3 will be a timed exclusive for the PlayStation 3, coming out this year only for the Sony console -- guess they didn't have to buy it. Also confirmed (and very exciting) is the ability to share mods between the PS3 and PC versions. When the PC version comes out next year, at least."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 11, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:10 AM #3172 of 3592
I don't get the whole " OMG killzone 2 ". it looked awesome for the first two minutes, then afterwards it just got really boring and the graphics were great, but nothing groundbreaking. The missile effects also look horrendous.

Also It is cool the PS3 gets UT3 as a timed exclusive, sadly it is most likely only a 2-3 month exclusive deal and i'm sure the 360 version will have things the PS3 won't like connectivity/online play with windows users.

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:25 AM #3173 of 3592
At least this came up like a surprise (predicted but still a pleasant surprise)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161061

Silent Hill 5 at last, woo.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:28 AM #3174 of 3592
Actually it won't have 360 VS PC play because EPIC is NOT in support of Microsoft's Iron Grip within the Games for Windows LIVE service because the service does NOT allow modifications or mutators which makes up 80% of the UT community. Also can't forget all the schools that use the UT tools for teaching/learning tools. Which has made EPIC pissed at MS for the time being.

Also I'm sure they're trying to figure out how to get the 30Gig game on a DVD to play on the 360.

As for the Killzone 2 "wow" factor. It managed to stay with me throughout the majority of the video. The smoke from the rocket looked awesome to me. Also the rifle and the iron-sight alone looked amazing with the depth of field and all. Also nice to see the addition of gore effects, which looked killer.

Only things that need work are the fire and some smaller effects. However this is the best Alpha build of a game that I have ever seen. Like for a BETA it would still be very good, but for an ALPHA, shit... it's still has a long ways to go, therefore it will look noticeble beter even by BETA.

P.S.
SH5 = can't be worse then 4, and hopefully better then 3.

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 12, 2007 at 12:33 AM.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:51 AM #3175 of 3592

Also I'm sure they're trying to figure out how to get the 30Gig game on a DVD to play on the 360.
Nice way to quote things out of context. The quote your citing goes along as this

Quote:
"Morris: Blue-ray is certainly appealing for guys coming from a hard drive background to have a much larger footprint to store that sort of data, but because we want the game to be the same on all platforms the chances are it'll be the same sort of size that will fit on all of them.

But while we want all of the versions to be the same that's not to say we won't do exclusive patches for each platform and that would enable us to do some pretty spectacular exclusive content.

I can tell you we have 30GB versions here today and we copied two versions to each of those PCs, so by the end of it we had about a terabyte of copies over there. So we've got to get smaller - big is cool, it lets you have more environment diversity and stuff like that but at the same time you have to deal with the actual load times. We don't know the exact number of maps we'll ship with but we want it to be between 30 and 40 - that's substantially more than other games in the genre."
Hence, most likely the UT3 game you buy at the store will be the same on all 3 platforms and that PS3 modded content will be the additional maps and left-out content that will be avaiable for download. Hell, he even stated with the 30-gig version, Load times were outrageous and unacceptable.

Also, Epic never said they were against Windows for live. They basically said they were disappointed with the way microsoft has handled it so far, but are still adamant to support it as long as they allow it to evolve into something that PC and 360 gamers expect it to be and have come to know from past UT experiences. If EPIC were truley pissed off and hated microsoft like you stated, then why is such hot property like Gears of war, 360 exclusive in regards to consoles? It makes no sense of them to do that if they hate microsoft like you're claiming they do.

Lets not forget that the Unreal Engine 3 which UT3 utilizes was written and designed specifically for DirectX 9/10 PCs. EPIC have already stated it is harder to develop for the Unreal engine 3 on the PS3 then it is on the 360 and PC because of this.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Iwata; Jul 12, 2007 at 12:58 AM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread