Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"You don't act your race/age/etc etc."

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:02 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 12:02 AM #26 of 87
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
I ALWAYS get the "omg, you don't look your age at all!". It's beginning to get annoying because people are still asking me when I'm graduating from high school. I usually say something along the lines of "nine years ago"...

Also, how does a smart person act? There's lots of brilliant serial killers running around here. So, should you be acting like them?
That's quite a difference.

I think my classmates in high school were mainly referring to the fact that I never enjoyed reading or "getting to know" the teachers, like some of the other top students did.

Another one that comes to mind is that people always assumed I was naturally gifted at math simply because of being Asian.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:07 AM #27 of 87
People really shouldn't make assumptions like that. Being black, I'm expected to dress like I walked out of a rap video and I don't. I think it confuses some people, which I really don't care.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:02 AM #28 of 87
I'm filipino, but I'm far from it in everyday life.
I don't speak tagalog at all, and I've never hung out with any of the filipinos at my old high school.
I look pretty young for my age, and people don't think I'm in university (still 17 for a while, but it's a one year difference only!)
People always think that I like Science because I was one of the smart ones, but I actually hate Science and love Music. I get very surprised reactions when I say I'm in Commerce, because apparently I'm "not that kind of person."

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FallDragon
Good Chocobo

Member 2657

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:25 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 09:25 AM #29 of 87
Originally Posted by Rydia
Another one that comes to mind is that people always assumed I was naturally gifted at math simply because of being Asian.
Well that's because they're ignorant. Asians are obviously gifted at martial arts, not math. <.<

I look young for my age. It's because I've inhereted a lot of my mom's genes. She told me a story that when I was about 4 years old, she'd take me grocery shopping etc, and the one time the clerk said that it was nice for her to take her younger brother out shopping with her. She replied "I'm his mother!" (wish I would've been old enough to remember it happen hahah).

But yea, I'm 22 and get carded for R rated movies & M rated videogames.

I was speaking idiomatically.
dat_kasu
Wark!

Member 1175

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:49 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 06:49 PM #30 of 87
When I was small, I was said to be acting older than I was and because of that I started to act as childish as I could <_<

But a classmate of mine who goes on holiday to the USA every year always tells me that ALL(!) african americans talked ghetto language .
He once even told me that you had to say "I'd like a cap of caffee" instead "I'd like a cup of coffee" in a restaurant if the waiter/waitress was black because they otherwise wouldn't understand it <_<
Besides, he always speaks of his "inner nigger" and that he had the wrong skin colour and should be living in the US (while listening to some hip hop of course)
If I'd show him the posts of some people here who say they're black and don't talk ghetto language he'd say I'd faked the posts myself *cough*

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:05 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 10:05 AM #31 of 87
Originally Posted by FallDragon
Well that's because they're ignorant. Asians are obviously gifted at martial arts, not math. <.<

I look young for my age. It's because I've inhereted a lot of my mom's genes. She told me a story that when I was about 4 years old, she'd take me grocery shopping etc, and the one time the clerk said that it was nice for her to take her younger brother out shopping with her. She replied "I'm his mother!" (wish I would've been old enough to remember it happen hahah).

I get carded constantly whenever purchasing a game or even seeing an R-rated movie. It's amusing because when I was 17, they never carded me. Years later, it seems that people always want to check my ID.

FELIPE NO
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:04 PM #32 of 87
Originally Posted by dat_kasu
When I was small, I was said to be acting older than I was and because of that I started to act as childish as I could <_<

But a classmate of mine who goes on holiday to the USA every year always tells me that ALL(!) african americans talked ghetto language .
He once even told me that you had to say "I'd like a cap of caffee" instead "I'd like a cup of coffee" in a restaurant if the waiter/waitress was black because they otherwise wouldn't understand it <_<
Besides, he always speaks of his "inner nigger" and that he had the wrong skin colour and should be living in the US (while listening to some hip hop of course)
If I'd show him the posts of some people here who say they're black and don't talk ghetto language he'd say I'd faked the posts myself *cough*
Well, tell him to talk to me. I think that's stupid to believe all black people only understand garbage. Hell, I'm black and I can't even understand half of that garbage! It annoys me to no end to know there's people out here that are too lazy to learn how to sound out words and phrases correctly. It doesn't help that rap videos play on this garbage as well.

Like I said, if he wants to talk to someone that is black and speaks properly, tell him to IM me. My AIM's in my profile.

Originally Posted by FallDragon
The only time in my life I got carded for a movie was when I was 24 and I was trying to see an Eddie Griffin movie. To make matters worse, I couldn't find my driver's license for five minutes and the surrounding kids were laughing at me...

I get told all the time I look like I'm between the ages of 18 and 22. I once had some weirdo tell me I was 16... I suppose looking young is a good thing. That means people like us will age gracefully!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:45 PM #33 of 87
Women don't age. I came to that conclusion when I had the hots for this woman who looked like she was in her early 20s and come to find out she was 50.

I act my age sometimes when I want to be serious. My parents used to spit that line to me often, especially my mom. And I look older than my age.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vida Eterna
Carob Nut

Member 3058

Level 4.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 09:54 PM #34 of 87
This was always a weird issue for me growing up, especially racially speaking. I'm mixed race (Half Scottish, half Iranian) so it was always a bit strange. Like people were saying, there are so many stereotypes and opinions on how a certain race "should act".

The difference with me was, I don't fit into any of the categories. And at first that may seem like a good thing, because it allows to me to have some choice without being scrutinized for it, it wasn't always a good thing.

See, people get uncomfortable when they cant pigeon-hole you, so it was like no matter what I did, someone wasn't going to be happy with it. I act pretty much like any other western person does - but whenever I did something that was "different" people would make fun of me for it.

And then at home on the other hand, my father's side of the family would act like by being your typical western kid (not speaking their language, not eating their food etc) I was denying my Iranian heritage.

So it was always like no matter what you do, you're going to upset someone. It's not so much a problem any more, I dont know what happened but as I got older it became less apparent that I had foreign roots (infact it was only really my name that gives it away) so I dont get any hassel from "white" people anymore. However my dad's side of the family are very culture-heavy so I still get hassel from them!

Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:25 PM #35 of 87
It's amusing because when I was 17, they never carded me. Years later, it seems that people always want to check my ID.
That's pretty funny. When I was about 15, I went to a party with my oldest sister and all the workers there said, "it's so nice to meet your husband." And now at school, the students who don't know me think I'm a sophmore when I'm actually a senior.

Originally Posted by Vida Eterna
(infact it was only really my name that gives it away)

So, what's your name? Is it the last name or first name that gives it away?

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:13 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 08:13 PM #36 of 87
'Harold and Kumar go the White Castle' had some amusing quips about not 'acting your race'. Plus, it's a funny movie outside of that as well. Certainly immature, but quite entertaining.

FallDragon
Good Chocobo

Member 2657

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 04:49 AM #37 of 87
I get carded constantly whenever purchasing a game or even seeing an R-rated movie. It's amusing because when I was 17, they never carded me. Years later, it seems that people always want to check my ID.
Yea, I never used to get carded either. I guess it really is a sign that companies are enforcing ratings a lot more then they used to. At this point I'm actually more surprised when I don't get carded.

Darkk Child
HATER PROOF

Member 827

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 07:11 PM #38 of 87
Uh... I'm black, but white people say that I'm white. I don't quite understand this myself, but hey... whatever. Also, someone assumed that I was still a teenager the other day. they assumed I was 15. grrr...

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 09:43 PM #39 of 87
Sometimes people will think my fifteen-year-old brother looks older than me. That usually depends on my hair situation (if I got a haircut, or if I have it going crazy... also if I shaved/how I shaved, like letting my goatee grow out). I'm 21. I'm short for my age (5 foot, yo).

Strangely enough, though, I usually don't get carded for movies or anything (probably also since I whoop out my college ID for the student discount anyway). I usually don't get carded either when ordering drinks at a restaurant. I only get asked for ID typically when I should, like when making a beer run or something.

I guess it all depends with who I hang out with. I look older when I'm with the college heads, and just as young if with the teen crowd.

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:53 PM #40 of 87
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
People really shouldn't make assumptions like that. Being black, I'm expected to dress like I walked out of a rap video and I don't. I think it confuses some people, which I really don't care.
Yeah, I hear you.

Being black, a lot is expected of me in a stereotypical way. This bothers me. I am happy with who I am, but other people aren't, which sometimes makes me wish that I were white. Not because I sincerely wish for it, but rather for the sake of acceptance.

Honestly, I've been ridiculed for listening to jazz. And black people made jazz. ??????

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:10 AM #41 of 87
Originally Posted by Eleo
Yeah, I hear you.

Being black, a lot is expected of me in a stereotypical way. This bothers me. I am happy with who I am, but other people aren't, which sometimes makes me wish that I were white. Not because I sincerely wish for it, but rather for the sake of acceptance.

Honestly, I've been ridiculed for listening to jazz. And black people made jazz. ??????
That's weird that you get ridiculed for listening to jazz. I'm told that's the thing with black folks (not I). I'm used to listening to the polar opposite of all the music I'm "supposed" to be listening. I used to care about fitting in somewhere, but then I realized I couldn't and stopped caring. I figured if I'm going to be different, I should just go ahead and be different all the way.

Because I don't follow trends, I'm ridiculed, but I pay it no attention. And with my music, if people start critizing it, on goes the headphones and I can't hear anymore BS. You should try it, it works.

silvervalkyrie
This is Love

Member 3464

Level 11.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:42 AM #42 of 87
I used to get this a lot when I was younger. Growing up a military brat and having two college educated parents I've always been told by "black" kids that I sounded and acted white. It also didn't help that I have a love of Asian culture, listened to more than just rap music, and could out argue anyone in my class.

It used to bother me that being able to speak eloquently, write correctly (maybe not the best grammar ever but at least I can construct a paragraph with easily understood points), and being intelligent were "white" traits.

I remember middle school, my first non-DoD public school experience, being hell for that reason alone. Eventually, after growing more secure in my personailty, I started to let it roll off my back and appreciate who I was.

And I haven't been bothered again. I'm proud to be more than just another "ghetto" African-American.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:50 AM #43 of 87
Oh wow! It's great to see that I'm not the only black person going through crap like this alone! Wow!

Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:49 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 08:49 AM #44 of 87
Okay... my hellish weekend is over and I'm going back through all the threads I've missed... and I seem to have missed quite a few that I am going to comment in... like this one ^_^

Not acting my age... yeah... that's me. And I guess at times I don't even look my age (which I take as a good sign I guess).
My home is surrounded by toys... my toy... I am Toys 'R Us in a much smaller scale. I like my toys. Even kids are jealous of some the toys I have ^_^
But I like that part of me... it's the child within me that doesn't want to disappear and be taken over by the adult in me. I still have my responsibilities... but I also know that being an adult all the time isn't exactly going to keep me sane all thetime either.

And as for not looking my age... when I am clean-shaven... and the grey hairs have been well hidden by various dyes... yeah... ID'd for bloody cigarettes. O_o
Fifteen years too late bud... try again...
I do find it somewhat complimentary to get ID'd for alcohol... but insulting for smokes... go figure. I do recall getting ID'd a few years back even when I was picking up some M-rated game... was shocked.. but glad to see that system in place at that store and actually being followed. ^_^

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 11:38 AM #45 of 87
eh, Asians put more emphasis on tradition anyway.

Anyway, I get that crap that "You don't act your age" and a complimentary statement of "You look older". Seriously, one woman thought I was 27 (when I'm 6 years younger than that) and my loved ones thought that I waste too much time playing videogames.

And oh, they're all asian like me and grew up in rural conditions so I don't blame them. It's just that sometimes their perspective is limited.

Or they are thinking for my benefit.

Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:49 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 05:49 PM #46 of 87
I sometimes enjoy playing video games. Thus, in the eyes of most girls I meet, I don't act my age because video games are for little children.

As far as not acting my ethnicity? I'm too much of a mix of different things to act one way. I act myself and don't get shit for it ever. I dunno.

And the whole "not acting black" thing reminds me of a white person trying to act "Black". Everyone gets shit for it. White people acting 'black' and black people acting 'white'. Usually they all get fucked with for whatever reason but I've noticed more people admire a black person acting 'white' then a white person acting 'black'. I suppose it's because most people in charge of big companies and jobs and such are all pretty civil unlike the ghetto trash around (white or black).

I'm not saying I'm right, It's just a hunch I have. Everyone should just act themselves and not worry about how other people view them but I suppose that everyone worries a little bit about how they're percieved.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:11 PM #47 of 87
I find it funny when people tell me that I don't act black. My question to them is "well, what do I act like?". So far that question hasn't been answered. So, now I'm a no-race...

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 02:05 AM #48 of 87
This reminds me of what we discussed in Linguistics class today. Apparently, people were surprised after hearing a voice clip that the man was black. Our prof. thought it sounded like your average white Southern Gentleman, but some people clearly stated: "I could tell he was black from the way he spoke."

Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 02:48 AM #49 of 87
People generally think I'm younger than I am (short hair takes years off my appearance) until they start talking to me, at which point they think I'm older. It'd be nice if they'd just take the mean and go with it.

And then I get confused for my father on the phone, which is kinda creepy. Devo's right though, and I personally attribute my "well-travelled" persona to the four siblings 10-25 years older than me.

wingz198
The Altered State of Drugachusettes

Member 1381

Level 1.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:01 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 11:01 PM #50 of 87
I work in a grocery store deli and a while ago I had a guy come up to me and upon seeing my name tag (Evgeniy), asked if the name was Russian. I told him, yeah, I'm from there. He then said something like "Oh, you don't look Russian." I don't know, just the way he said it sounded almost like being Russian was a bad thing.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > "You don't act your race/age/etc etc."