Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Trench Coats (for non-devious purposes)

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:35 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 02:35 PM #26 of 34
As for pricing, mine only cost me $120 as I bought it in Buenos Aires - Down there, there's a street with maybe 70 leather dealerships side-by-side, so pricing is waaaaay down. I'd strongly recommend importing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:03 PM #27 of 34
Originally Posted by SampMan87
I happened to stumble across a decent trench coat at the local GoodWill store that my friend dragged me into one day....

I can't complain, but due to the principle of it, I haven't gone back in there since.

It's a really nice coat. I has a removable liner inside, but it's not black. It's this sort of khaki brown color. If you've ever played Perfect dark for N64, it looks almost exactly like the ones the guys in Chicago wear. Ironically, when I wear it I look like the stereotypical chicago business employee.

It's a nice coat though. Like FadedReality, I live in florida, and so it doesn't serve much purpose other than image.
Sounds like the one that I think I gave away.
I hated it, but it was really warm.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
whinehurst
It's a Psudonym.

Member 9766

Level 14.57

Jul 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:47 AM #28 of 34
Originally Posted by krikkit
The other way is college and high school students who wear them for personal fashion. In almost every sighting, it was one of two people: really tiny, greasy kid with a permanent scowl, or big fat computer geek who is impressing himself with his trenchcoat on an august afternoon. Both counts: not cool.

My ruling: not cool by reason of association.
lol, i gotta agree with this, Krikkit - most of the kids i see in trenchcoats are usually pretty lame looking.

But, being the later in your discription, I can tell you this: I wear my trenchcoat (Bogart, not Neo) becaise I think it makes me look cool, not cause it actually does. I got one when I was still in high school, during a trip to NYC. I like it, a lot, because I just like the way it moves when I wear it. Sure I catch glances of funny looks and people must think i'm a fat ass dork who thinks he looks cool, and they're right. Thing is, I just don't care what other people think looks cool or not; if it's cool to me, then it's cool period.

Most amazing jew boots
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 06:54 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 05:54 PM #29 of 34
Originally Posted by Aardork
No, don't buy one.

If you have no money, you will just get something that looks terrible. Good trenchcoats are quite expensive, and, what's more, wearing one won't instantly make you cool; it's much more likely that you'll come off as someone who's cosplaying Humphrey Bogart and failing badly.

For it to work, your whole style and attitude has to match it. And… you're fourteen. Sorry, there's no way you won't look like a total dork.
Quoted for absolute truth.

Unless you live in the 40s, live in a computer, or are Silent Bob, you will look like a tool. Hell, even Silent Bob looked like a tool.

Everyone, ever, who has worn a trenchcoat thinks they look either a) distinguished (music and film geeks) or b) badass (anime and gaming geeks). Both are wrong. You look less like Neo and more like a rapist.

Most amazing jew boots

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 06:59 PM #30 of 34
True.

But I (as both a music and anime geek of sorts) am rather offended by that generalization.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 12:17 PM #31 of 34
I think trenchcoats are a waste of time unless, like stated before, you have the right attitude and the right reason in context to be wearing them.

Wearing an all black, full-length trenchcoat under the hot Australian sun, over a [insert random death metal band here] t-shirt and jeans does not look good.

If you were wearing a suit, then maaaybe.

I WAS thinking of buying a trenchcoat, but I realised when I tried one on at the goth store how much of a try-hard i really looked, mainly because the rest of my clothes don't match.
I realised that what I wanted was not a full-length trenchcoat, but one of those knee-length-ish ones that are sorta formal but still very casual - and not an all black one - so that I could wear them with smart casual clothing, or with a suit, and still look awesome.

Most amazing jew boots
www.Pietriots.com
Click to receive beer

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 08:26 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 06:26 PM #32 of 34
I have to agree with a lot of the posts in here saying that trench coats are pretty useless. A lot of the reasons why I wore mine were because of body issues. Being 6'1, nearly flat and skinny as hell made me feel kind of ashamed of myself, and the coat easily covered my unremarkable body up rather well.

However, it's pretty much a seasonal thing. Also considering they have to be drycleaned and are expensive as fuck (Plus I live in Las Vegas and it rarely ever gets that cold here) any other jacket is just as good to keep me warm in the winter and is probably a LOT cheaper.

Plus, now you see so many dopey looking goth/whatever kids in them that you pretty much automatically get lumped in with those types of people, even if you have nothing in common besides the similar taste in coats.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
whinehurst
It's a Psudonym.

Member 9766

Level 14.57

Jul 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:32 AM #33 of 34
Originally Posted by acid
Everyone, ever, who has worn a trenchcoat thinks they look either a) distinguished (music and film geeks) or b) badass (anime and gaming geeks). Both are wrong. You look less like Neo and more like a rapist.
I've never thought I looked like a badass when wearing a trechcoat, cause I know I probably look like a tool while wearing one - which negates feeling distinguished; so you're totally wrong in this assumption. I would agree that black leather trenchcoats are way to Matrix to be legit, but the fact is I wear one, in the fall/winter when it's appropriate, because I personally, like it a lot. I remember even that my friend started laughing at me while wearing it because someone pointed out that I looked like Pattington Bear, which I laughed at too because it was true and it was an awesomely obscure reference. Point is, I (and I think most other people who like to wear them) don't really care about other's opinons on how it looks. I just like to wear one because I just like to wear one.

Honestly, I don't see where this hostility against trenchcoats comes from - I mean, yeah, it makes us look stupid, but the fuck do you really care?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Trench Coats (for non-devious purposes)