Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ask An Obscure Question.

Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:48 PM #26 of 102
Acro-nym:
From what I gather, this expression is derived from a wooden ship hitting a rock or something so hard that the timbers shivers. Strangely enough, ti wasn't an actual sailor''s term, but more so an expression used by Captain Frederick Marryat in Jacob Faithful in 1835: “I won’t thrash you Tom. Shiver my timbers if I do”.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elcee
Self Imposed Bannishment

Member 1350

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 06:49 PM #27 of 102
Quote:
What exactly does "shiver me timbers" mean, and where did it originate?
I think that was a catch phrase created for Popeye. Who exactly was behind Popeye's psychological profile, I couldn't say.

Football? That's what American's call it. Just like the whole Native American/Indian deal. That instance of ignorance is isolated.

Why is Gamingforce still active?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Moth
Iz!

Member 418

Level 13.88

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:51 PM #28 of 102
Who the fuck looked at an Alaskan king crab and decided they were going to eat it?

I mean, look at it! How could that look tasty?

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:01 PM #29 of 102
How come the wind always feels like it's blowing AGAINST you no matter which direction you switch walking to?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:06 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:06 PM #30 of 102
Originally Posted by Moth
Who the fuck looked at an Alaskan king crab and decided they were going to eat it?

I mean, look at it! How could that look tasty?

Chances are that the cold weather made the fishermen go into a state of hallucinatory mind arrest and during that time they up and said, "SVEN! Let's eat that motherfucker. YA?" Either way, I'm glad Sven and his crew did think it was tasty because... Well shit, have you ever had one?

Most amazing jew boots
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:12 PM #31 of 102
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
How come the wind always feels like it's blowing AGAINST you no matter which direction you switch walking to?
Maybe because it is blowing against one side of you =o

Either that or something to do with rampant pessimism in today's world. I can't decide which.

FELIPE NO
Man_of_Pie
Banned

Member 271

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:12 PM #32 of 102
THis may sound kinda racist but where'd they get "Wetback" from?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:35 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:35 PM #33 of 102
Originally Posted by Man_of_Pie
THis may sound kinda racist but where'd they get "Wetback" from?
Holy shit, this is a long story. This is actually a matter of debate amongst us beaners, but if you read some hispanic literature, you kind of get the real gist of it.

It's a common misconception that Mexicans are known as "wetbacks" because when we illegally crossed over to the states it's pretty common to have to cross the Rio Grande. If you gotta swim across, it's only a given that you're going to be wet all over, hence the term "wet-back". This is false.

The real origin of the term is actually rooted in the "Bracero Program". It was really a massive roundup of what even then-program director Lee Williams called "legalized slavery" Mexican laborers were allowed to come to the States and labored 12-hour days in apalling conditions which often involved high weather temperatures. Since a lot of the labor was vegetable picking, the laborers sweat would make their backs wet. Hence the term "wetback". The program was finally halted in 1964 but because of reports of human rights abuses. The program was, by and large, a fucking failure.

In order to "repatriate" the workers to their homeland, Immigration and Naturalization Services began what they called (using what had by then become a derogatory term) "Operation Wetback" and rounded up all the Mexican laborers and deported them. Not all of the laborers were repatriated though and that's pretty much how a lot of my family is here.

Most amazing jew boots
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:38 PM #34 of 102
Edit: Sorry ence, You beat me too it.

"What would happen if Microsoft made only High Quality products?"

"How would one go blowing up something as big as the planet earth (In realistic terms)?"

Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:03 PM #35 of 102
Originally Posted by Moth
Because of that very same reasoning - the lobster was a food long given to the poor fishermen of New England. The rich decided it was too ugly to look at - so how could it even be delicious? How wrong they were!

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:20 PM #36 of 102
Originally Posted by Moon
Acro-nym:
From what I gather, this expression is derived from a wooden ship hitting a rock or something so hard that the timbers shivers. Strangely enough, ti wasn't an actual sailor''s term, but more so an expression used by Captain Frederick Marryat in Jacob Faithful in 1835: “I won’t thrash you Tom. Shiver my timbers if I do”.
That's quite interesting. Thank you.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Dekoa
More than likely, if Microsoft made such products, we'd have better respect for them and less disdain. Also, we wouldn't have to scream at our computers as often. Of course, there would still be some screaming. These products wouldn't be perfect.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Acro-nym; Mar 3, 2006 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:28 PM #37 of 102
"How would one go blowing up something as big as the planet earth (In realistic terms)?"
Enough nukes would certainly do the job. (Maybe even a few Tsar Bomba-type bombs.)
I don't think it'd be all that hard, really.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:32 PM #38 of 102
Alice, in answer to your first question, this is what my friend said: um..lol i don't really know..i mean obviously i guess so..from either a description by the partner or another person or something...well i mean for a blind person, i guess it would matter what the person feels like, the feel of their skin or hair etc mor then what they look like..

Hope that answers your question.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Crowdmaker
I should be working

Member 950

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:22 AM #39 of 102
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
Alice, in answer to your first question, this is what my friend said: um..lol i don't really know..i mean obviously i guess so..from either a description by the partner or another person or something...well i mean for a blind person, i guess it would matter what the person feels like, the feel of their skin or hair etc mor then what they look like..

Hope that answers your question.
Now that's really interesting. Kinda reminds me of the movie Ray, and how he'd always feel the wrist of each woman he met. Who knew...

"What would happen if Microsoft made only High Quality products?""
Oooh. Now that's a paradox right there. Microsoft. Making only High Quality Products. I tried to wrap my mind around that and failed. But the following thought slipped out just before my brain overheated - I think you stumbled upon a paraphrase of a key point in Godel's Inconsistency Theorem. Other versions go like "everything I say is a lie"

edit:
Originally Posted by Encephalon
In no way, shape, form and skullfucking iteration would this ever happen.

Question holds fatal fallacy. Restart and hold F8 to in Safe Mode.
Toufuckingche.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Crowdmaker; Mar 4, 2006 at 12:35 AM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:28 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:28 PM #40 of 102
In no way, shape, form and skullfucking iteration would this ever happen.

Question holds fatal fallacy. Restart and hold F8 to in Safe Mode.

Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:42 AM #41 of 102
Originally Posted by Crowdmaker
Oooh. Now that's a paradox right there. Microsoft. Making only High Quality Products. I tried to wrap my mind around that and failed. But the following thought slipped out just before my brain overheated - I think you stumbled upon a paraphrase of a key point in Godel's Inconsistency Theorem. Other versions go like "everything I say is a lie"
This just brings me back to that explanation that Acro-nym, Snowknight, and I thought of for Microsft's world in our Microsoft Server class.

I think it goes something like this:
"If our world is a straight line then Microsoft's world is not a parrallel world, it is a Sine world. Specifically represented by the graph y=2SinX"

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:45 AM #42 of 102
This just brings me back to that explanation that Acro-nym, Snowknight, and I thought of for Microsft's world in our Microsoft Server class.

I think it goes something like this:
"If our world is a straight line then Microsoft's world is not a parrallel world, it is a Sine world. Specifically represented by the graph y=2SinX"
I'm pretty sure that it was this:
"Microsoft's world is best represented by the equation, y = 2(sin x), where positive values of 'Y' represent reality and negative values represent falsehood."

How ya doing, buddy?
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:15 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:45 PM #43 of 102
How do cats purr? More importantly, why do cats purr?

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:59 AM #44 of 102
Originally Posted by NovaX
I was kind of surprised I could find this, but:

Quote:
How felines purr

Cats produce the purring noise by vibrating their larynx, or voice box, in a particular manner. They have a timing mechanism in the brain which sends neural messages to a muscle in the larynx, rhythmically opening and closing the air passage several times per second. Combined with the steady inhalation and exhalation of air as the cat breathes, a purring noise is produced.[1]

Cats can either purr or roar, one exception being the tigers which can purr but only in one direction. In general, small cat species purr, while larger ones roar, although pumas and cheetahs purr and do not roar
Also,
Quote:
Why felines purr

Humans usually interpret the purring of a domestic cat as an expression of some type of friendliness or contentment. This assumption is based on the observation that cats often (though not always) purr when being stroked by humans, combined with the experience that human children tend to enjoy stroking by their parents and interpret it as a gesture of affection. Consequently, most humans enjoy listening to or holding a purring cat.

It is, however, not entirely clear to scientists whether this really is one of the cat's reasons for making the sound; it is well established that a cat also purrs when it is uneasy, nervous or in great pain, perhaps to comfort itself or to express submission. Other theories suggest that a cat purrs when it wants, needs, or is receiving attention, whether it be affection or medical treatment. Purring may also reduce pain, help a wounded cat to heal, or even help to keep a cat's bones strong[3].

Ethologist Paul Leyhousen, in his book Cat Behavior, interprets purring as a signal meaning "I am not a threat" to explain the otherwise differing circumstances that elicit the sound.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:36 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:36 PM #45 of 102
Originally Posted by Sir VG
Why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?
You park in a driveway because it's logistically better than parking on the street (assuming you don't always have immediate access to a garage). You drive on a parkway because that's what it's designed for. As for the term, 'parkway' historically refers to roads near parks or park-like landscapes.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:40 AM #46 of 102
Originally Posted by NovaX
I was going to make some joke about a pleased pussy here, but I was like, shit man, that's too obvious.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:31 PM #47 of 102
Miyomi, that's really interesting (and also what I thought, but I wanted to make sure). I mean, you do have to be seen with this person, and there are very few people who really don't care what others think. I see what he's saying about how they feel, too. It's not just more aesthetically pleasing to LOOK at a toned, fit person, they FEEL better, too.

Summonmaster, if you had long hair you wouldn't feel like the wind is always blowing against you. Try having hair blown into your face from behind or from the side and you'll definitely know which way the wind is blowing. Get a wig or something, I don't know.

Most amazing jew boots
Atomic Duck
Bunny Eat World!

Member 1407

Level 8.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:51 PM #48 of 102
Edit: Sorry ence, You beat me too it.

1) Windows XP would be the first version of Windows and they would've built their company soley on office software and programming language compilers.

2) Become president of the US or Russia. There's enough nukes floating around either one to do the job a couple times, and I imagine if there aren't then the rest of the weapons cache should be enough to finish the job.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:03 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 08:03 PM #49 of 102
Originally Posted by Atomic Duck
2) Become president of the US or Russia. There's enough nukes floating around either one to do the job a couple times, and I imagine if there aren't then the rest of the weapons cache should be enough to finish the job.
Um, are you sure that nukes can ''blow up'' Earth?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
taiga,
DRUNKARD

Member 1455

Level 8.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:13 PM #50 of 102
Originally Posted by Atomic Duck
Actually, although people like to believe it's possible, every nuclear weapon that exists on earth still isn't enough to destroy mankind, let alone break through the first layer of the earths crust.

Last edited by taiga,; Mar 4, 2006 at 01:18 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Ask An Obscure Question.