Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: PICK ONE. Assume we'd be watching in the area of two 26 episode shows (52 total)
M/Tu/W/Th/F/Sa + Sunday "Off" Catchup Day (Min completion time 8~ weeks) 0 0%
M/Tu/W/Th/F + Saturday/Sunday "Off" Catchup Days (Min completion 10~ weeks) 2 15.38%
M/Tu/Th/F + Wed/Sat/Sun "Off" Catchup Days (Min completion time 13~ weeks) 8 61.54%
M/Tu/W/Th + Fri/Sat/Sun "Off" Catchup Days (Min completion time 13~ weeks) 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

[Attention] Forum Activity Idea - Simulwatch!

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:12 PM #1 of 34
Forum Activity Idea - Simulwatch!

Good god this place is dead. DEAD. Almost as dead as the threads that get made for dead people, which is more or less what this place has become. I don't know why that is, I'm sure you're all watching season five hundred of 24 and Doctor What but there's no discussion! Fuck you guys, let's do some shit to get this place in gear.

What's a Simulwatch?
A wonderful idea I'm stealing from SA! In combination with what you have probably seen in my journals, with me torturing CHz and anybody else I can get in range into watching horrible, horrible anime with me.

The concept is simple. You pick a set of shows, in this case since the dead husks of Media Center and Animespot have combined to form one amazing wasteland, we'd split the choices to one television show and one anime. The general idea would be to pick something that isn't horrible and is pretty well acclaimed from both pools (think The Wire and Cowboy Bebop) to watch together. Obviously since TV shows generally run a lot longer than anime we'd have to stick to one season or the closest equivalent of 26 episodes, and from there we'd have to decide whether to continue or pick something else and let interested parties continue on their own.

How would we Simulwatch?
Good question! The general gist is to have an "airing time" at which point you're expected to watch the episode for a given day, and then openly discuss it in the thread. There's two ways to go about this. You can either get together with a group of folks in IRC at a designated time, say about 9PM and watch together (generally this would be for all the "wow did you see that" stuff, actually discussion is better suited to the thread), or you can watch it by yourself whenever just as long as you watch it after the airing time, and before the next episode time. If you watch it beforehand you are an asshole.

What would we Simulwatch?
That is a good question! It's entirely up to you! If we agree to go ahead with this, we'd throw a bunch of suggestions together and have a vote. From there it's a matter of getting the material together. Now they're a lot stricter re: pirating over there (in before LeHah oh god oh god), but if it's not all that difficult we could always go the route of choosing one TV show and an unlicensed anime/one of dubious licensing status that way people would reasonably only have to buy one thing. The people that can could always pool together to help out the few that can't. Or you could just download everything I'm not really going to police everyone about that.

I dunno, I'm not real big on TV/Anime...(or don't have the time)
What are you a faggot? It's about 25 minutes out of your day. And if you fall behind (as is likely to happen to anyone) we'd only be doing five/six days out of the week, with the others as catchup days. Seriously. Get involved, expose yourself to something new and different.

Any questions? Let me know here if you'd be down or if you have any suggestions or whatever.

Oh and if you're interested please post saying so that way I can gauge whether or not this is worth doing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Jul 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:16 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2010, 10:16 AM #2 of 34
I'd be down.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:19 PM #3 of 34
Yeah, sure. Why the hell not? I have nothing better to do.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:44 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2010, 09:44 AM #4 of 34
I'd be down with this. I don't have cable, but I can stream most any show/anime, usually.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 03:31 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2010, 01:31 PM 1 #5 of 34
If I can find the time, I would love to participate. I have a good deal of American sitcoms in mind (don't worry, none of that Arrested Development junk). Don't know too much about anime, but I'm sure there's plenty of help here for that.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 08:21 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2010, 07:21 PM 1 #6 of 34
I nominate the first show we do this with be Arrested Development.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 08:26 PM #7 of 34
If it would solve the problem of everyone watching it at the same time, I'm pretty sure someone could set up a streaming channel on Justin.tv or Livestream and then wrangle up everyone in there to discuss the show as it's being broadcasted.

FELIPE NO
Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 08:29 PM #8 of 34
I'd like to second the Arrested Development nomination just to spite Shiny.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 08:48 PM #9 of 34
THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR NOMINATING SHIT IT IS FOR GAUGING INTEREST quit being dumb that part will come later

If it would solve the problem of everyone watching it at the same time, I'm pretty sure someone could set up a streaming channel on Justin.tv or Livestream and then wrangle up everyone in there to discuss the show as it's being broadcasted.
While this is applicable (Acer said the same thing when I was suggesting the idea to him) I'd still rather people had their own copies and stuck to using IRC as there's no guarantee people would want to/be able to make it a stream channel every night. The only reason that format works with Drink-On is because it only occurs once every couple of months.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 08:59 PM #10 of 34
I would be down, but how frequently are you thinking of doing this? I don't think I can download episodes fast enough in order to meet a 5-a-week schedule.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 09:10 PM #11 of 34
Would you not have enough time/storage to do so if we gave about two weeks advance notice to do so prior to starting (once we picked shows, that is)?

Most amazing jew boots

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 09:55 PM #12 of 34
That's a good amount of advance notice. I'll give it a shot.

LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:23 PM #13 of 34
I've been getting into tv more and more so yes let's do this.

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 03:21 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2010, 01:21 AM #14 of 34
I'm down. So long it's not Wednesdays.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:59 AM #15 of 34
I'm down. So long it's not Wednesdays.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah I got nothing. Ideally the schedule would run M/Tu/W/Th/F/Sa (ABABAB) or just M/T/W/TH/F (ABABA then BABAB) depending on what people think would be better suited. If we went with option #1 you wouldn't have to worry about catching up with show #1 until Friday at best if you would miss Wednesday.

FELIPE NO

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 09:38 AM #16 of 34
I'd love to take part in this, but I don't know if I could necessarily keep up with the 5 times a day schedule (at least consistently).

Also, I don't know if I'm thinking of this correctly, but we choose either the Anime or the TV show, right? I have a large collection of Anime already on my hard drive, but I have no TV shows at all. I'll probably occasionally take the TV show just to broaden my experiences, but I'm not sure I want to find a way to obtain every TV show that passes.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 09:49 AM #17 of 34
I'd love to take part in this, but I don't know if I could necessarily keep up with the 5 times a day schedule (at least consistently).
I suppose there are some instances where it can't be helped (heh) but asking for as little as 25 minutes out of a day isn't really a lot. Also I assume you meant to type five times a week.

Quote:
Also, I don't know if I'm thinking of this correctly, but we choose either the Anime or the TV show, right?
No. The objective is to choose one from each category. We'd be doing two shows.

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 04:25 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2010, 02:25 PM #18 of 34
Just a suggestion: if you can update the thread with download information on say, Sunday for example, with a list of places people can download to watch like "This on Monday, that on Tuesday, etc. etc. etc.," I think that might facilitate the process.

Your 9PM (assuming you're on the East Coast) is like my 6PM and that's when I get off work, so naturally I'll be 30 minutes late to everything given that I'm in LA. Knowing what shows to download the night before means I have to keep my computer running all night and I'd like to avoid that if much as possible.

If I know what to download on Sunday morning, I'll let the downloading go as I'm going to church, doing laundry, or other stuff.

(my personal opinion or what I'd do to make my participation possible, just putting it out there)

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:00 PM #19 of 34
Maybe I'll understand a bit more when we start so, what the hell, sign me up.

And yes, I did mean to type "5 times a week" and not "5 times a day."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:43 PM #20 of 34
Just a suggestion: if you can update the thread with download information on say, Sunday for example, with a list of places people can download to watch like "This on Monday, that on Tuesday, etc. etc. etc.," I think that might facilitate the process.
I was actually considering giving out batches before the thing starts (as lurker asked about earlier) but I guess I could specify for people doing the week to week thing?

As for the 9PM thing, that's really just because of myself and the other east coasters. It'd be hard for me to help run the thing any later since I work nights, but I assume you wouldn't be the only west coaster who couldn't make that kind of time. You guys could always run your own session later at night if it's a better option~

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:53 PM #21 of 34
OH GOD DOUBLE POSTING. For now I'm going to split things off while we pick, but afterward it'll all be brought together for a single discussion thread.

TV time
OMG DBZ

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:17 PM #22 of 34
Um... can I throw in hulu.com for a reference for people to watch things? Its probably easier for someone to watch something online that's easily accessible (AND HAS CLOSED CAPTIONS). ETC. There's plenty of shit on there even with anime (Vampire Knight ie lmao).

So like... commercials may be that annoying but its helps to break up time to post on the INTERNETS with remarks and silly tomato throwing at whatever we ended up watching.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:25 PM #23 of 34
ehhhhhhh I don't think Hulu has ever been used for this sort of thing but it's certainly viable (not really the best option though as it'd be a bitch to keep a browser window open for streaming along with IRC)

I see where you're coming from though~

e: also what turnip said. Fucking licensing restrictions =\

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Tails; Jul 6, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:26 PM #24 of 34
Hulu only works for Americans, though.

Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:38 PM #25 of 34
Just want to say that I may use drunkgff livestream for something like this. I've wanted to stream a few animes before. If people are interested I'd love to do it. I mean it's still hilarious even if it's just one person (pack i <3 u for doing ladies vs butlers with me) but I'd like to see some genuine interest. I'd probably go with some Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Princess Tutu, and Hare+Guu first but Tails has a very good list of shows in this thread too. I'm not necessarily limiting this to anime but I kind of run this stream so it's probably a good idea to be interested in what I'm streaming, so really I'm saying I'm not signing up to be your daily theater jockey unless I'm willing. That said it might be a fun idea to do some gay ass online anime club shit like air 2 or 3 episodes of one series and then go to another to showcase maybe 3 or 4 series twice a week or something.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Attention] Forum Activity Idea - Simulwatch!