Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Kannagi - A Magical Maiden Comedy

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2008, 03:56 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2008, 01:56 AM #1 of 11
Kannagi - A Magical Maiden Comedy

Synopsis: One day, Jin Mukuriya had just finished making a wooden carving of a girl for the art club when the wooden girl comes to life. Turns out, the wood came from a sacred tree and because of its sacredness, it was able to bring the local deity into the human world. The deity introduces herself as Nagi and immediately, she becomes quite a handful for Jin, who feels like he had no other choice and has to let her stay at his house. Nagi becomes acquainted more and more with human society, causing trouble all the while as she also tries to continue with her deity powers to purge the land of impurities and regain the full strength of her god powers.

Other members of the cast include Tsugumi, Jin's childhood friend who has a crush on him, the two seniors who run the art club and like to categorize the males of the clubs into character archetypes, and Zange-chan, Nagi's rival who aims to be an idol. It's a pretty diverse cast that'll lead to a lot of interesting situations down the line.

Thoughts: Most "magical girlfriend" shows are pretty lame because the female characters tend to be doormats. However, Kannagi is different, partly because the characters personalities are so interesting and charming and the comedy is spot-on, brought about as a result of Jin and Nagi's interactions which provide for a lot of hilarious moments. To say that this series is "fun" is an understatement just because of how much I'll laugh during any given episode. It's a delightful series to say the least.

Jin isn't your wussy male character, Nagi shifts between acting like a spoiled brat (while being as demeaning towards Jin as often possible) and being all high and mighty (towards everyone else) while pulling out all manners of hilarious theatrics.

Basically, this is one of the stronger shows out this season. The characters and comedy are top-notch, the animation is gorgeous, and every episode manages to be entertaining. I really can't recommend this one enough.

Also, in before the "got wood" jokes.

Links (mkv format):
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Jam it back in, in the dark.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:21 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2008, 11:21 AM #2 of 11
I'm loving the show. It has that "lulz" wibe <3

Ironicly the thread title might be flawed, now that angry otakus in japland claim Nagi is a used slut. Oh japon

There's nowhere I can't reach.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:38 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2008, 02:38 PM #3 of 11
Oh god, I decided to look into it and I have to say I was amazed by the amount of outrage expressed by Japanese otaku over such a trifling issue to the point that some guy decides to rip up his Kannagi manga. Way to turn this into a serious business issue

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Nov 16, 2008 at 04:54 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2008, 06:51 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 07:51 AM #4 of 11
If they don't satirize this in the actual series I'll be disappointed. They've been making fun of their own viewers every single episode, anyway. Which is awesome.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:31 PM #5 of 11
Not enough horrible puns in this thread, by the way.

I like what I've seen so far, needs less Zange though. Overall though, the series has really started to grow on me after a few eps.

Oh ho ho.

I was speaking idiomatically.

#654: Braixen
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:27 PM #6 of 11
From what I've seen this is the kind of show you need to see beyond the first episode so you can get hooked.
It felt kinda rushed how she suddenly came out of some tree stump but it has some really comical moments. The new episode had me on a "wtf did I miss an episode" thought since we saw nothing of a plot to begin with. Really nice humor though and just proves further that zenge is boob service.
Episode 7 is out btw >_>

So far this show, hyakko and macademi wasshoi(no thread about this show wtf!) have kept me on lol's so far. All school show's btw. I guess the Shinigami fads are finally dying down.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

New Record!
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:31 PM #7 of 11
I think it's a tad misleading to call this a magical girl show since there's no transformations or such. None the less, this show has been very enjoyable. I love the self conscious otaku in the art club. I feel that the pacing if very good in that it isn't trying to make a special story but more of a slice of life with goddess shenanigans.

FELIPE NO
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:00 PM 1 #8 of 11
Hilarious, hilarious shenanigans.

I originally had very little interest in this anime since I did not like the early manga art style. However, the dancing OP pulled me in, and I stuck around for the episode and was pleasantly surprised. Since comedy is my genre-of-choice, this is doubtlessly my favorite show of the season, especially after the last episode.

Maybe I'll give the manga another chance if scans of it ever resume or if it ever gets released stateside.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:01 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2008, 12:01 PM #9 of 11
I think it's a tad misleading to call this a magical girl show since there's no transformations or such.
I think he is calling it "magical Girl Friend", along the linage of Ah! My Goddess and such.

Also, they pulled a fast one on the viewer on Episode 7. I enjoyed it, although I think wish there is more development. <.<.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:00 PM #10 of 11
derp, I see that now.

Episode 7 was great. The look on Jin's face when he realized he kept his stash in there was priceless. And the best line in the episode "It's Sony".

Most amazing jew boots
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:22 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2008, 02:22 AM #11 of 11
Episode 10 is another filler episode, but it's by far one of the best filler episodes I've seen to date.
Spoiler:
Once I saw the topic of the episode, I knew it'd be a ploy for CD sales. But man, I just loved every bit of it and sat through this episode with a really big goofy grin on my face. Karaoke comedy segments don't get any better than this and the delivery was absolutely awesome. There's just so much I can say about it and how each character's karaoke performances were just so.... fitting.

Tsugumi wins this episode again with her moeness (no surprise there I suppose), but Takako just had me in stitches with her performance. It's just so disgustingly bad that it goes into the depths of terribleness and back around on the other side back to EPIC territory. Nagi also was outstanding. Of all the things she could have done... she picks that song? Brilliant comedic moment right there. Also, her handling of the sound effects was absolutely first-rate and added a whole lot to the comedy.

And the faces. If there was something I really paid attention to this episode, it was the characters' facial expressions. Among the characters, Tsugumi's reactions to Zange's machinations as well as Jin's preferences towards Daitetsu were utterly priceless. Poor girl, she tries so hard, but other people just get in the way.

And the ED. It just killed me. Christ, that was a perfect and hilarious way to end this episode!

Judging by how things are going to proceed, if this series does indeed stick out to 13 episodes, then none of the romantic subplots are going to get resolved. It kinda sucks that the ending might not be able to keep up with the awesomeness we've seen so far, but that's the way it is and I'm bracing myself for a disappointment in that area.

Most amazing jew boots
My spheres of activity:

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Dec 8, 2008 at 04:25 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Kannagi - A Magical Maiden Comedy