Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 AM Local time: Sep 20, 2010, 10:55 PM #26 of 352
well I meant more like streaming, but a torrent is fine too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:37 AM Local time: Sep 21, 2010, 01:37 AM #27 of 352
Boardwalk.Empire.S01E01.Boardwalk.Empire.HDTV.XviD-FQM.avi isoHunt Lite the BitTorrent & P2P search engine

Great show, DN. You'll love it.

P.S.

Zerg "Stevensen Yu" rinch

Being dissed by someone as shoddy as you isn't really a deterrent. I never felt bad when Yama or niki disapproved of me either.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:44 AM #28 of 352
Alright, I'm back with even more movies. There's a shitton of cable movies that I saw and took off from my netflix queue but unfortunately netflix doesn't keep track of my ratings/watched like their dvd shipped list. Barely remember most of them anyway.
Spoiler:

Cashback - Interesting, cute, alright. I did like the music and the direction of this movie.

Lars and the Real Girl - Adorable, absolutely awe-inspiring but that small town cannot be that sweet all over. O.o' Gosling is pretty damn awesome.

The Host - Now I was more than pleasantly surprised and even more so when I saw it was an asian monster movie. Netflix has this member rating pretty high so I went in knowingly that it could be good, but again, I came away surprised and glad I caught a viewing. I really appreciate the family dynamic that it involved in hunting this monster. It just made this movie seem to be all even more "legendary". This one just blew Cloverfield out of my memory bank.

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut - Epic movie with Bloom. I went in knowing that the King was played by Edward Norton, and I felt this movie had quite a bit of a great cast and it wasn't out of place anywhere or any kind of disruptive feel in the plot, its just as it is, an epic journey with an epic story. I wasn't a bit bored or excited but definitely had me when Bloom rejected the marriage proposal.

Finding Neverland - Depp never disappoints me, and he's just as "dapper" in this one. The part where she finds neverland had me mistyeyed (okay sobbing alright) but yeah good all around movie.

Bloody Sunday - The sets, the costumes, behavior, etc etc, it made me feel like I was watching a documentary! Pretty damn good one at that and I appreciate the film taking all of the angles on this one (especially that kid) and check one for a bit of education about the IRA.

The Killer - I wasn't sure if I had saw this one or not. Yun-fat Chow has been on a few of my asian favorites and this one is pretty good with him in it. Rest is so and so. All flash and flavor, kinda like a James Bond movie with a blind woman.

Eddie Izzard: Unrepeatable - Honestly? I fell asleep within the first 15 minutes of it. Not sure what happened. I did finish the rest of it by morning but yeah. Perhaps it just old or its a british thing or what.

The Reaping - Swank is alright, the rest was like lol especially that ending. Not much to see here besides if you're into biblical plagues and stuff. CGI isn't all that bad either.

Superbad - Jonah Hill character took a while for me to warm up to. He just came off like Brady/mo0 on a real BAD day. But yeah some parts were hilarious but high school cringe worthy.

Fido - Absolutely adored this, highly recommended, and yeah its basically Pleasantville meets Zombies. The sets, cast (especially Moss), time period made this movie quite enjoyable.

My Name Is Bruce - Bruce Campbell tribute I suppose, nothing to write home about though.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Excellent movie, I'm glad I caught this at the last minute, it was an epic journey for one piece of shit from the worst smelling parts of Paris in horrible day and age of no soap in the world can clean, and he had the nose to smell everything including women (at their peak essence) and he sought after them to capture it in savorable form. The ending certainly blew me away. Highly recommended.

The Descent - Now I see why its not all that bad, that shit is scary but yeah, delusion at the end cements the fact the realistically, you're screwed once you're trapped down there.

Skinwalkers - The premise sounds interesting but come to movie form, its great at first but slowly turned into a modern werewolf movie (the fights and etc). But it does take at it very differently and I did like it somewhat.

Captivity - Also referred as Craptivity and I suppose I should agree, that ending was such a twist downer though.

Whisper - Evil kid with powers? Awesome. Isolation in the cabin in the snow forest? Awesome. Black wolves out of nowhere? Awesome. But then the rest of the cast was meh and the story was so and so. I did liked the presentation that kid set up for his captors and literally dissembled them one by one. Overall its alright.

The Hills Have Eyes 2 - Meh. Barely remembered much from this one. Just being out in the desert, and into the mines, and that awesome beginning lmao.

To be seen on Monday, Next and Paranormal Activity.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:54 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2010, 06:54 PM #29 of 352
I watched A Mighty Wind with the girlfriend last night. Probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time and only makes you realize how utterly and shamefully wasted Eugene Levy's comedic talent was wasted on those movies with the Pie Fucker™.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:54 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2010, 08:54 PM #30 of 352
I had super high hopes for that flick, but I really didn't enjoy it very much. Just seemed like it was trying too hard. You're right that Eugene Levy was wasted on American Pie, though.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:58 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2010, 04:58 PM #31 of 352
See, it was like that for me with Best of Show, which I just watched. As before, Eugene Levy is a massive standout in a movie that felt forced. It was still really funny though.

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:22 PM #32 of 352
Doot doot, here we go again. Nothing like a good old fashion update to get this thread going. I love movies, even crappy ones. Crappy ones can be a good palette cleaner for good ones ya know. But yeah, even there's gems among the crap and there's crap. Obviously I'm on a list of movies made from '07 here. Got some ways to go before I could get caught up on movies from within this year at least. But no biggie, most dvds/blu-rays takes a while to get released anyway.

Also for the record, I am copy and pasting this from a netflix dvd shipped list (so most recent is first) and I tend to review my movies from the oldest to recent.

Spoiler:
Sweeney Todd - I hate musicals but this one was great. Depp's still awesome in my book and I was taken back by Alan Rickman. I saw him as Snape and in Perfume: the Story of a murderer. He was great and the more I see him, the more of a fan I am. I'm also pleasantly reminded of him being Gruber in the first Die Hard. But yeah this movie was excellent in plot, execution and the awesome blood sauce. The slicing and dicing murders were actually fun to behold.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - What a disappointment this one was for me. I caught myself rolling my eyes and sighing/shaking my head more than several times all through out the movie. It just seemed to me all the more same old bullshit that the previous HP movies tried to dictate in such... tedious orderly fashion. If you watched the HP movies back to back, you'd notice it too. Nothing's new but all flash and glare.

The Brave One - Another surprise. I figure it'll not exceed my expectations and I had been disappointed by Foster (Panic Room, Flightplan) before. But no, she was great in this one. At least the set up was excellent if not feasible for her character to execute in. The throw in detective to the story seemed awkward at first but it seemed to add more to the story as well as her character I suppose. But yeah, her character was powerful in this one and I appreciate her going at it in such "steel nerves" vibes. Kinda like Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

Gone Baby Gone - Hey, this is not a bad detective story and definitely had one of the better twists I had ever seen. I really appreciate the moral objectivity this movie was going when he was taking a moral stand and really put in emphasis on what is good and what is wrong and vice versa. Especially him (Affleck) giving a speech of the alternative reality if he were to let it go. Great movie all around.

The Deaths of Ian Stone - I was on a horror trend when I read reviews for this supposedly "b horror" was pretty good and thought why not. I was more than moderately surprised and enjoyed this for an original plot, the suspense played out long as necessary and the cgi more or less had me gripped. The twist at the end made it even more perfect and a satisfying finish. The cast is a little thin but still good enough to execute what I wanted to see though.

Hitman - No, I haven't played the game. Pretty much I hear the reviews were split if you had played it or not. With that said, I thought the movie was alright til it sort of tapered off after the first half with the involvement with the dumb broad. I swear chicks ruin more action movies this way.

The Abandoned - I have NO IDEA what this is or why I had this on my queue, I was only . Russian ghost story.

Deception - Caught the first half on cable and it gripped me enough to warrant a rental for a full watch. I love Ewan McGregor (especially in Eye of the Beholder) and his good working boy vibe was something to behold and I wanted to see more of the plot. The going of the movie was great til the last 10 minutes of the movie. Maybe 15, but yeah I was moderately disappointed and was hoping for a better twist from Hugh Jackman specifically. But yeah it just sort of fell flat.

Zodiac - I love Jake Gyllenhaal but they didn't utilize him much til the latter half of this movie. Most of the first half was interesting and was setting up for the rest with the murders and the reporting and failed attempts of catching the killer. I think the best part of the movie was finding out the twists that you didn't see in the first half or didn't realize that it was that important. Great movie imho.

Black Snake Moan - LOL, yes, thanks to a bunch of gifs of him looking all serious and pedo vibes or whatever, its not what it was as I saw it. As being from the south, I can only relate a bit with some of the morals of this movie was trying to portray. But still, it came off very weird from the middle to the end, not sure what was the message or who it was meant for. Not sure if I could recommend this, I do for the first half for laughs and interesting takes on Jackson and Ricci.

Next - LOL, Cage, you should never ever be any different from who you are. You're hilarious and so bad and so good at the same time. Count me as a fan.

Paranormal Activity - Okay, obviously the suspense is played alot FROM SOUND effects. So this is a no go for me. :\ I cannot really take a stance on this movie without putting in my bias. But yeah, go to a theater with surround sound for this or have a decent home set up at least I suppose.

The Strangers - Had this on queue and saw it on cable. Forgot about it in my previous post, but I remembered it enough to input in here for today. Its that great imho. I really appreciate the set up a lot here and a lot of that suspense from the strangers themselves put into play in here. I mean come on, when she was drinking from the kitchen and that dude was standing off casually the corner? Awesome creepy vibe there. I always look forward to suspense in horror movies because most of the fears can be utilized from pure suspense. I really appreciate the fact that they never did revealed themselves on screen but to the couple at the very end and just nonchalantly said they were home. Its awesome, the ending just amplified from there too.

To be seen next week: Blood and Chocolate and The Lives of Others.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:53 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2010, 09:53 PM #33 of 352
I just got through watching Season 8 of 24 and I thought it was great!

Spoiler:
I particularly liked how they (I imagine intentionally) included all the big cliches from earlier seasons. There was a mole in CTU, the place got blown up, Jack accidentally killed loads of people he wanted to question, he got tortured, he's a crack shot with a pistol but can't hit shit with an assault rifle, there are huge continuity gaps between episodes and everything happens within ten minutes drive of CTU headquarters. I liked how Jack survived the series and him just going postal for the last four episodes or so was awesome. Good ending to a great series.

Also saw Saw 3d the other week which was much like the other films in the series (And therefore great).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:36 PM #34 of 352
Wow. I'm a such a terrible person. I should had keep up on this thread. There were a week or two where I didn't even watch my rentals. O.o' I was obsessed with gaming at the time. (Sword of Mana, Golden Sun TLA and Mother 3 all back to back... was the reason.) And yeah there was an anime series I was watching too which kinda contributed to my smaller list of what I had watched recently. Alrighty lets see what I got.

Spoiler:

Claymore - Great series, especially if you're a fan of violence and this series is definitely for you. It gave me a bit of Berserk vibe too. <3 Berserk but this series' plot is somewhat middling from being overly done to great at different points. IE Raki was fucking annoying and I literally wished he'd just DIE. But he was there like to make things sense to the audience I suppose regarding her history and her tragedy or whatever at the beginning. Some of the action scenes were "trying" whereas they'd pass some of action parts as if that was BELIEVABLE in execution lol. But the Teresa/old crew parts were just awesome.

Grindhouse: Death Proof - HILARIOUS. Absolutely loved this movie. ESPECIALLY right after Planet Terror. But yeah, it was fun to watch and the movie is split into two halves surrounding a similar two groups of 4 girls driving around in their cars and being targeted by a driving lunatic (retired stuntman). I highly recommend it if you're into vengeance or fucked up scenes (although not a whole lot) but amusing and dumb conversations (think Pulp Fiction) throughout the movie.

Grindhouse: Planet Terror - OH man... I have to confess that I don't mind gore all that much, and I still do cringe at random gore movies. But this fucker TOPS it. >.< EVERYTHING. JUST EVERYTHING! GOD.

Dan in Real Life - Interesting take on Carell... everything else not so much.

Becoming Jane - MEH. Just no.

Blood and Chocolate - LOL, terrible and how embarrassing. Interesting take on actual wolves though. I do appreciate at least some REAL fucking wolves in the movie instead of wolf skin and silly costumes.

The Lives of Others - GREAT MOVIE. Holy shit. Kyndig recommended this to me several times over. Now yeah, even now, this movie still cannot get out of my head for how powerful of an effect it can last on you. Everything about it is awesome. If a bit a little depressing but more or less, very real and very raw in nature of learning about nature of an oppressed society where they eavesdrops on people. It also a great piece of historical lesson too. The main actor was just amazing! I wished I've seen more of him elsewhere.

And NOW. To be seen tonite and maybe tomorow... Breach and There Will Be Blood.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:10 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2011, 11:10 PM #35 of 352
Last week I watched Toy Story 3, Sympathy for Lady Vengance and Black Death.

Toy Story 3 was alright, I liked the numerous prison movie references. Sympathy for Lady Vengance is a great film, surprisingly different to Old Boy and the first Korean film I've seen with even a hint of a happy ending. Black Death, like pretty much every film with Sean Bean in, is top stuff too. It's by the same guy who made Creep and Severance, two of my favourite films, so I knew I'd probably enjoy it. Not nearly as violent as the box leads you to believe but the action sequences there are are top notch.

Oh yeah, also watched Repo Men which is the first Jude Law film I've managed to sit all the way through and actually wasn't too bad overall.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:55 PM #36 of 352
Cheers Shin, glad to see you liked Sympathy for Lady, it was interesting for me. Still not sure what to make of the trilogy in whole honestly lol.

Spoiler:
Letters from Iwo Jima - After watching A Mighty Heart..., I wasn't definitely in a mood for another depressing watch. And yeah, I wasn't feeling the greatness in this one. I'm not sure but it felt pretty much pessimistic the whole way through and not enough redemption to save it. "Sure, by honorable dysentery", he'd scoff and say nothing else about his fallen friend. That right there kinda set the mood for the whole movie and wasn't exactly forgiving. I'm not sure about the glowing reviews this movie got, but yeah. Just depressing.

A Mighty Heart - I like Angelina Jolie sometimes and to see her in documentary kind of movie was neat. The plot was great, the cast was great too. Overall not a bad watch but yet, depressing.

Tekkon Kinkreet - As SD would put it, an artsy fartsy attempt at anime style direction? I loved this though, great take on Yin and Yang concept as the two kids battling their own homelessness and their own strengths/weaknesses while fighting the Yakuza and the cops. <3

Persepolis - A story about a girl growing up in 80s Iran and their growing oppression being told in black and white comic art form. The art is great, the direction was great, but the plot wasn't for me.

Sleuth - Interesting lol. I hear its a remake and nevertheless, I like Jude Law and thought he was good in this besides Caine.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Depressing. I knew it's about the cripple who dictated the book/movie but yeah the journey of a horrible self-discovery is more or less the bigger highlight of this movie besides finding out about having your mind wandering about helps a lot in progression of retaining his sanity. Trouble is, I already kinda heard/seen of this before so it wasn't anything new and the movie pretty much offered a lot of refreshing scenery based off on a lovely European coastline for me.

Strait Jacket - Meh. Not sure what to make of it, liked it somewhat but it seemed to be a starter movie for an upcoming anime series for people to get hooked into or something.

Curse of the Golden Flower - LOL the interior sets were... OVER THE TOP. Beautiful though but what is the point if the plot is being told in such brutal fashion. I sure hope the director does get some money back from this.

Juno - LOL. I got spoiled knowing that this was directed by some woman who's into trendy shit or something like it. So yeah I went in with less than rosy colored eyeglasses and saw the trite in it. Jennifer Garner was great in this though. I still like Ellen Page (Hard Candy A+++).

The Golden Compass - This was just a huge mess. I'm sure the book is better but whatever.

There Will Be Blood - Best movie I had seen in a fucking awhile. I watched it on blu-ray on a 42" and it was just stunning and Day Lewis was just awesome. He fucking worked HARD for that shit and wasn't gonna let ANYONE takes it away from him.

Breach - I like the cast in this, but the true story part in the beginning softened the suspense imho and could had been better with tighter direction but the plot was interesting.

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:02 PM #37 of 352
Saw a good movie recently that made me actually want to review it on Netflix since a lot of people who reviewed it may or may not have missed the point of it. :\
Spoiler:
HUGE spoilers
Funny Games:
It helps a LOT that I had seen Rosemary's Baby before this. Because of it I slowly recognize the underlying devil tones in this movie. The director was playing devil's advocate in this and basically setting up for you to marginally hope for the poor family being terrorized to win somehow. If you missed it, you'd think this movie as a piss poor attempt at suspense/chiller/slasher type. But yes, just to SEE several of those easily out of place elements that leans towards the Devil's work in this movie will be rewarding to realize that the movie sets you up right away and yet do leave behind an evil aftertaste.

For instance, obviously you'll notice that there's a LOT of opportunities for the killers to take advantage of the family but yet no, they made it very easy, just too easy. They hit him perfectly on the knee to shatter it. The dog barked at them endlessly but yes, ultimately was killed without being able to leave behind a mark on the "Peter". And that gun, they left it purposely for someone to bring it to them, while they still carried the shells in their pocket! They have access to the house's yard, "Tubby" said there's a hole in the fence, but the wife had to make one with pliers anyway later on. AKA cell phone isn't "quite" dead but no access. They left for a hour just to taunt them when they came back. They left exactly at midnight. This is also known as the devil's hour. So really, they've never left, they're just watching. And of course, the wife escaped only to misconstrue herself into the wrong upcoming vehicle after missing the first one for the same reason. And that golf ball. When he rolled it to the husband to give him a sense of dread, it rolls just perfectly in the middle of the view. And when he walked through the bushes, he wasn't wet. He wasn't dirty either as the wife had noticed from Tubby from earlier. The only thing that were dirty ON them were blood on their white gloves. And yes, they already killed a bunch of people previously and yet they're still remained white. Seriously, all of these careful details although out the movie with careful direction really spelled it out. But somehow more than 90% of the audience fucking missed it. :\ Shame, and yeah it was great that they also broke the fourth wall and rewind using the remote control to make an extra point. And that prayer? She did last the night.

This should spoke in fucking VOLUMES to the audience that the Devil were playing a game with this poor family. In other words, when you invite him in, you're fucked from the beginning. LOL, do you bet on the Devil or the family?
HUGE spoilers

Rosemary's Baby - Great suspense. Mia Farrow was excellent and gorgeous in this one. Too bad I was ruined years ago, I imagine it would had been a huge hit if I didn't know about the outcome.

3:10 to Yuma - Good movie, really liked Russell Crowe in this one. Bale was alright, the elder son actor is decent in it too. Glad to see Alan Tudyk getting some work, I liked him in 28 days and several others I saw him in.

Superman Doomsday - I didn't realize it was told in cartoon direction. It was interesting but nothing to really write home about.

The Orphanage - Interesting but I didn't like it as much. Good twist though on finding out what happened to the kid. The ending is not something I'd go to sleep comfortably with though.

Species IV: The Awakening - LOL, were they trying to make alien softcore porn with this? Hilarious and a TERRIBLE end to the series. Its just pure trash and rather forget most of it.

[REC] - Cute, the sets is rather forced but what do you gotta do with a zombie infestation. Good intro though, and definitely ended it off with a powerful monster introduction. HOLY shit. I dunno where the fuck they find someone THAT skinny to impose herself as the next Lisa Trevor monster from the RE series. Holy shit that was so good and scary. And I hear the remake isn't as good and they cut off the whole "demon possession" thing. :\ So no super scary monster to expect then.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Philia; Feb 8, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:16 PM Local time: Feb 8, 2011, 08:16 PM #38 of 352
I remembered the other day that someone had bought me The Omen Pentology and I'd only ever watched the original and the remake of that so I watched Omen 2.

It's not brilliant. Damien as a teenager isn't nearly as sinister as Damien as a kid, Lance Henrikson isn't as sinister as the weird maid from the first one and the whole thing is just a bit bland, lacking all the suspense and oppressive feel of the first one. I'll watch the others at some point but I bet the fourth is really shit, like Nightmare on Elm Street 5 shit.

Oh yeah, that reminds me I watched the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street not too long ago and that's completely shit. I actually quite enjoyed the remake of The Omen and I personally think Rob Zombie's Halloween is better than the original but the Elm Street remake is just plain shite, avoid at all costs.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:55 PM #39 of 352
Originally Posted by Philia
Funny Games:
Shame, and yeah it was great that they also broke the fourth wall and rewind using the remote control to make an extra point.
That moment right there ruined the movie for me. I saw the American remake (not sure if you watched that or the German original which I just now discovered exists) several years ago, and from what I remember it was an enjoyable enough flick up until that point.
Spoiler:
The rewind was just so mind-blowingly stupid, and I really, really hated when he randomly broke the fourth wall on top of that for a dumb line. It irritated me so much that it's pretty much all I remember about the movie now, several years later.

Originally Posted by Shin
I actually quite enjoyed the remake of The Omen and I personally think Rob Zombie's Halloween is better than the original but the Elm Street remake is just plain shite, avoid at all costs.
I can sort of agree with that provided we're only talking about the second half of the Halloween remake that covers the events of the original movie. The first half about Michael's childhood was complete trash, and just the standard Rob Zombie tripe of everyone covered in dirt and cursing as much as possible for no reason in particular. I spent the entire first part fighting the urge to fast forward or just to turn it off altogether.

I suppose I'll mention a couple of movies that I've seen recently and remember.
Spoiler:
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane - This caught my eye on AMC a few weeks ago, and it was surprisingly enjoyable. Jodie Foster plays a 12-13 year old girl whose dying father trained to be able to live independently after his death so that she wouldn't have to live with her bitchy mother or go into the foster care system. She's also kind of a sociopath and has little problem with murdering the people who threaten her solitary life. Toss in a nerdy magician kid who's also cool with the murdering and Martin Sheen as a child molesting douche, and it's well worth watching.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Yeah, I'd never actually watched this until now. Admittedly, it was watching the rerun of the Rocky Horror Glee episode that made me go check if it was up for instant watching on Netflix. It was fun enough, though I prefer the Glee covers of some of the songs over the originals. The strangest thing about it, topping even Tim Curry's bustier, was seeing Barry Bostwick that young.

The Human Centipede - Curiosity finally got the best of me after seeing this mentioned several places. It was... interesting. There's really no other way to accurately sum up what a bizarre movie this is. I spent half the movie wondering how in the hell they got the three actors forming the centipede to agree to do it. This sounds a lot more negative than I mean it, though. The whole thing was also strangely entertaining.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:52 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2011, 12:52 AM #40 of 352
I can sort of agree with that provided we're only talking about the second half of the Halloween remake that covers the events of the original movie. The first half about Michael's childhood was complete trash, and just the standard Rob Zombie tripe of everyone covered in dirt and cursing as much as possible for no reason in particular. I spent the entire first part fighting the urge to fast forward or just to turn it off altogether.
The beginning is a little painful and goes on too long, you're right there. When it picks up though you quickly forget about all that and Rob Zombie's Michael is a lot scarier than the original who just looks like a paedo hanging around the school gates. I dunno, the original is a great movie but doesn't stack up against modern horror films the way say, The Omen still does or the original Elm Street, or Poltergeist or the first Friday the 13th (I refuse to watch the remake of that). A lot of people aren't Rob Zombie fans I know but House of 1,000 Corpses is better than a lot of horror I've seen and Devil's Rejects has one of the best endings of any film ever made and is generally a decent movie.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:16 PM #41 of 352
Yeah, I'm honestly not a big fan of the original Halloween either. I remember it being too slow and takes forever to get going. It's just not very visually impressive compared to the others you mentioned. It had the mood, but it never really did much with it. Don't get me wrong; it has its moments, but I prefer Halloween 2 in the hospital.

I've never seen House of 1,000 Corpses, mainly because I saw Devil's Rejects first. I don't remember if I actually finished Devil's Rejects or eventually turned it off out of boredom. I just can't stand Rob Zombie's style.

Oh, and good call staying far away from the Friday the 13th remake. Awful waste of time.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:41 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2011, 12:41 AM #42 of 352
Well I just saw an awesome film. Down Terrace is a massively low-budget gangster film set in Brighton. It's about a father and son crime family who've just been let off a drugs charge and are trying to identify the mole in their operation.

Rather than the usual gangster film fare of non-stop criminality and cockney geeeeeezers, this is a largely slow-paced family drama, all set in a single house more or less with a couple of moments of shocking violence. It's a really, really good film and I'd recommend it to anyone who's after a more thoughtful gangster movie.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:56 AM Local time: Feb 13, 2011, 04:56 PM #43 of 352
Just finished watching Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus.

It was shit, but that is hardly surprising. Luckily it was, as I suspected it would be, so shit it was good. Like Snakes on a Train. Worth a download.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:43 PM #44 of 352
I saw the best Coen movie ever.

I only saw a few since but its worthy of a bump!

No Country for Old Men - Holy shit. That dude. Javier Bardem gives me the fucking chills even after the movie was over. But YES, this is definitely one of those movies you write home about and don't forget EVER. There doesn't seem to be a wasted shot either or a wasted conversation. There's always something that is essential and chilling to watch. The 70s throwback was awesome and I dare say made this even better. And it is the best Coen movie I had watched since. (I'm still in chronological order, just about to finish '07 backlog)

Eastern Promises - Another great violent movie, based in Russia and had already a trio of favorite casts I'd like to see. Viggo really throws it in this one, making me a bigger fan of him already despite of other stuff he's in.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - I like Phillip Hoffman and Ethan Hawke in this but this movie didn't really do much for me. Interesting heist gone wrong kind at best. A Simple Plan was much better.

Savages - Again, absolutely love Phillip Hoffman in this too. Interesting and it wasn't on my queue but it was a recommendation from James' coworker as she loaned it to us. It was great insight on an estranged elder that needs to be taken to a nursing home while struggling with issues involving the estrangement, dementia, and their messed up lives while they cope with each other (brother and sister) and their loves.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:10 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2011, 06:10 PM #45 of 352
No major spoilers below:

-I liked No Country for Old Men, but I didn't feel like it deserved Best Picture at the Oscars. Then again I didn't see any of the other movies it was up against.

-I saw Eastern Promises a few months ago and it was quite good. Viggo was phenomenal. Twist was great and that bathroom scene was so memorable. It will be etched in my mind forever.

-I also just watched Old Boy which was good. The language barrier caused me to really get confused at the end though. I missed out on so many details. Frankly, I had to read a message board to find out what happened, which probably made me like the movie a little less. Definitely worth watching though. Similar to to Eastern Promises, the fight sequence in that hallway was unbelievable. The way the scene was shot, the music, and for the most part, being realistic made it stand out for me (not including the elevator scene of course =p). The Octopus scene was .

-And speaking of The Omen the first two were good. Remake, 3 and 4 not so much. If you want a present day movie in a similar vein without the devil related stuff, go see Orphan. I was blown away by this movie.

- Watched The Time Machine today mainly due to the fact that I knew the soundtrack was amazing. And it is. First half of the movie was great, second half was mediocre. If the movie had maintained the quality of the first half it would have been a classic. However, that was not the case. Apparently it is a remake of the 1960s movie that I never seen. Guy Pearce did well in it. He is an actor that never seems to get a lot of credit, but he always performs well. The environment special effects as the main character travels through time were well done I thought. The movie left me with that feeling of just how insignifcant a single human being is in relation to geologic time. It got me thinking, but it also left me thinking about those bad underground humans. Too much focus on them.

I also saw almost all of this year's award nominated movies. The only ones that should win anything are The King's Speech, Inception, Black Swan or the Town.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Feb 13, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:10 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2011, 02:10 AM #46 of 352
Spoiler:
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane - This caught my eye on AMC a few weeks ago, and it was surprisingly enjoyable. Jodie Foster plays a 12-13 year old girl whose dying father trained to be able to live independently after his death so that she wouldn't have to live with her bitchy mother or go into the foster care system. She's also kind of a sociopath and has little problem with murdering the people who threaten her solitary life. Toss in a nerdy magician kid who's also cool with the murdering and Martin Sheen as a child molesting douche, and it's well worth watching.
I watched that when it was on TV a while back as well (I think I saw it on TCM, where I watched most of these movies). I definitely second the recommendation as it definitely turned out to be a way better movie than I thought it'd be.

A few (okay, maybe more than a few) other movies I've seen recently:

Spoiler:
The Last Detail:
70s movie starring Jack Nicholson about two sailors escorting another sailor to a naval prison. The sailor going to prison was a young kid who hadn't really done much in life, so the sailors escorting him decide to let him have a little fun (pretty much get him drunk and laid) before he has to spend the next eight years of his life in prison. I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable overall, though I have to admit the ending left a little more to be desired. The Jack was as awesome as he always is (how could he not be playing a character nicknamed Badass), and I really enjoyed Randy Quaid's performance as the awkward young sailor who's going to prison.

The Woman in the Dunes:
An old Japanese movie from the 1960s about a man who studies bugs ending up getting trapped in the desert by a woman who lives there. The man of course makes attempts to escape, but is always foiled by the desert in some way. I didn't think the movie sounded that interesting, but I ended up watching it anyway and was totally blown away by how awesome it was. Definitely worth watching if you're into psychological drama-type stuff.

Three Colors: Red:
I'm not even gonna begin to try and explain what this movie is about, because honestly, it's one of those movies you don't really get until the end (and even then you're not sure if you totally got it. I wasn't that into it at first, but as the movie progressed I was more and more enthralled by it. The only bad part was that I didn't know the movie was the final part of a trilogy (hence the Three Colors in the title), so even though they aren't closely connected, I still kinda wished I had seen the other two movies first (I do still plan on seeing them, though).

Ryan's Daughter:
I'm usually not a fan of these period piece-type films, but this one was okay. It's set in Ireland during World War I, and focuses on a woman who ends up having an affair with a British soldier. All fine and good until the town finds out and pegs her as the traitor who gave up the info about the Irish rebels' weapon shipment. A pretty good movie with some pretty good performances, though I was a bit disappointed to find out that my favorite character in the film was played by someone who had lots of problems on the set and eventually had his entire part dubbed over by someone else. And as a side note, I think this is the first movie I've ever watched that has an intermission in the middle of it (and I actually did have to take advantage of it, since TCM doesn't air commercials during movies and I had to pee like a motherfucker).

Last Summer:
Um, wow. This movie is about a group of teens who spend their summer living at their parents' beach houses. There's not really much else to say about this movie without giving away the ending. Yeah, that does kinda mean the majority of this movie is a bit unremarkable (though it's definitely necessary to justify the ending, but overall I wouldn't say it's bad. I did find out it was based on a novel though, so now I kinda want to read that and its sequel, which was never adapted into a film.

Bloody Birthday:
Terrible 80s horror movie about three kids born during a solar eclipse going crazy on their tenth birthday and trying to kill a bunch of people. It was good in a campy way, but not something I'd watch again anytime soon.

Mon oncle Antoine:
Possibly the best movie to ever come out of Canada. Seriously though, it's a really good coming of age film set in 1940s Quebec about a boy who who works at his family's general store. A lot of it is just experiencing everyday moments, but towards the end it takes kind of a dark turn when he accompanies his uncle, the local undertaker, to retrieve a body. It really is a damn good movie (I already wanted to see it again right after I finished watching it).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:29 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2011, 01:29 PM 1 #47 of 352
I saw black swan, it was dope. I admit I only dowloaded it for the lesbian scene (delish mila kunis <3) but the movie it self was brilliant. I knew nothing about the movie other than it had something to do with balet, surprised how well written and directed it was. The opening scene is aesthetically beautiful and the slow transformation was a nice touch, I´ve never really liked Portman but she played the role of the awkward girl under pressure really well.
Spoiler:
The whole middle part freaked me the hell out, the transit from a drama to almost a thriller was great, the nail file-in-cheek scene and the following chase was great.

Although it ended as you might have expected the journey was great. Oh and the lesbian scene was hot.

no homo

Last edited by Zip; Feb 14, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:29 PM #48 of 352
I've seen some. I'm about to get into two anime series quite soon so I won't be able to contribute much on the movie/shows part. (Darker than Black and Death Note if you wish to know.)

Spoiler:
Hot Rod - LOL, this movie was... retarded. Best I could describe it before it got cut off less than a hour in. LOL, it was unbelievably scratched to hell and I couldn't even ask for a better copy because it was that... unnerving retarded. Not that I wasted my time on movies worse than that of course, but that lead is hilarious and he made it impossible for me to look away. Bitches I'm on a BOAT is right.

American Gangster - Good movie all around. Liked the leads in this one but the twist at the end left me... jilted I guess. Found wanting or whatever, its a good perceptive though on cops regarding found money. I didn't realize you could get named terribly if you returned in that much money.

The Sickhouse - Dumb horror movie. Scratch this one.

The Kite Runner - Very awesome movie, took me by surprise and its not ham-fisted style story telling either. Its a very emotional well told story about a boy growing up with a friend who's also his servant and only to find out two decades later that it was actually... his half brother and he felt compelled to fix his mistake and mend his guilt by going back to Pakistan during the Taliban regime to find a boy relative there to take home to US. Very powerful ending.

Lust, Caution - Interesting take on covert ops and especially naive ones. The girl started out as a rookie and only to find out that she actually fell hard for him. This movie is up there in great fucking scenes. And I don't mean that as a vulgar word, I mean actual fucking. Total R rated.

Otis - LMAO, I saw the trailer in another movie and thought it'd be hilarious. And it was. Its a great thriller/revenge/comic story.

Cleaner - Shame this one didn't really shine like most of Samuel Jackson's movies... he was terrible in a few others and this one kinda can be chalked up on the middling list.

Into the Wild - I thought it was lame at first and was more than intrigued when it approached the end because I was already spoiled knowing beforehand that he died of course (based on a true story afterall) and why (he couldn't cross the river). But it wasn't because as I thought it was and only ended up being as a major warning to those who wished to do the same thing as he did. A journey of sorts... (looking at you hard Fresh Frank)

The Darjeeling Limited - The cast was interesting, the sets were interesting, the plot was interesting, but to be honest, the whole thing just didn't sit with me. I wouldn't go as far as to say its a mess or whatever, its charming yes, but it wasn't for me. Deni's recommendation and Anderson's is turning into a hit or miss with me. Not always a miss but a middling ground factor.

Pom Poko - Very cute animated tale about raccoons with the power to transform. And how they tried to save their forest from approaching human inhabitants. Cute and all but it ended with a hamfisted message so yeah.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:10 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2011, 11:10 AM #49 of 352
I watched Inception for the first time yesterday. It was alright I guess, basically like the Matrix with less effort put into set and costume design and even wider plot holes. Also anyone that didn't guess what the very last shot of the film was going to be from about 20 minutes in really needs to watch more films, such a painful cliche to end on. So yeah, a decent enough movie if you switch off and don't let the logical inconsistencies annoy you, I wouldn't have paid more than the £3 I did for it though.

Also recently saw the sequel to District 13 (The French free-running film, not the silly aliens in South Africa film) and that was really good. I'd love to see a race across a busy city between the dude off of that and Tony Jaa. Again it's full of plot holes but then it's a mindless action film so you pretty much expect that. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much of the French I understood without looking at the subtitles. Certainly not enough to translate to someone else but I reckon I would've followed the plot if the subtitles had been turned off. If you like parcour and French Hiphop then you'll like it, I think the official title is D13 Revolutions or something retarded like that.

InvestmentBankr
Banned

Member 35157

Level 5.67

Jan 2010

Old May 2, 2011, 05:16 AM #50 of 352
funnily enough, my opinion of Inception are the opposite of yours shin!

I felt inception was the most intellectual movie I've seen in a while, wedged tightly between all the mindless action hollywood blockbusters. not to say it didn't have good action scenes but it had good themes and material that could be discussed after watching the movie. "decent enough movie if you switch off" considering the complexity of the main idea in the movie (dreams within dreams), I think most people would forgive any possible plot holes (and I don't think they are as wide as you say they are).

What do you mean when you say less effort was put into set? And how exactly is it worse than the matrix?

I also didn't guess the ending or whatever. maybe I'm just stupid.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?